hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ive hurt myself in a few imaginative ways over the years, here are a few of the most painful, in no particular order

1) Split open head, 100 stitches, you could see my skull, this was done doing a jump on my BMX on a building site, came flying down a hill, hit the mud jump, didnt use my breaks and smashed my heid off a concrete tube that was being lowered in to make a sewer

2) Broken wrist & split open head, on a building site yet again, was on the second story of scaffolding infront of the builders pully, decided to swing like tarzan on it without checking the rope was actually attached to anything, as you can imagine in true cartoon fashion the rope went flying through the pully and I was trying to climb a falling rope 20 feet up

3) At the dentist the injection didnt kick in, so i could feel the drill biting away at my teeth and rattling my jaw, didnt want to prolong the agony so just gripped the chair tighter and let them do it instead of saying anything

4) Torn cruciate, this was done in the first 5 minutes of a game and I played the remaining 55 hobbling about thinking I could run it off, didnt go to the Doctors for over 4 months until the constant pain and joint locking became unbearable

5) At work goes to walk out the door (safety self closing fire door) but the bit at the back that closes it has jammed so when I push the door open to happily escape work the door flies back in my face bursting my nose and chipping a bone behind my eyebrow, to this day my pals think that the shiner was because someone had battered me and my story about the door attacking me is some battered wives falling down the stairs story

and finally my all time favourite, probably the most stupid but also the most painful

6) Broken ribs and torn stomach muscles, round about when Jackass was in its prime, went out and got reekin, my pals says I will give you all the money I have on me (about £28 if IIRC) if you run into that bus stop as fast as you can, now I wasnt daft, I tested it first and thought I will bounce right off this no problem, turns out I didnt, I smashed right through the safety glass and slid on my side for a few feet, knew there and then Id done a dull one as I was pished and it hurt like hell.

Basically for the next month I have never felt pain like it, you cannot sleep or get comfy as everytime you move you can feel it, even now about 12 years later when im really tired I get a dull twinge in it

On the plus side I havent really hurt myself in about 5 or 6 years
    Lucky white heather !

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Lucky white heather !
    yep indeed, Im due another one soon I reckon, the other most painful one was explaining to my folks why there was a hole in the kitchen wall when they got back from their holidays

Believe me they still never believe how it happened but its the kind of story you could never make up involving a tablet and a cat

Reactive Arthritis was in pain for months couldn't walk some days was a huge strain on home life as well. In my knees, spine and then cause of the arthritis i then got tendinitis in my ankles was on codiene (sp) and dicloflenak (sp) they took they pain away but made me feel like a zombie!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    Physical pain? Gout. Nothing compares.

Mental pain? Too many things to mention.
    Agreed. Ive had a few mishaps/injuries and it is all relative to the person but an acute gout attack has you thinking/seriously contemplating of trying to end it all as the pain is just unbearable. Ive also overdosed(by accident/intolerable pain) on painkillers as a result of a serious gout attack and that wasnt good for me or those involved.

I honestly wouldn't wish gout on my worst enemy

I wont comment on those with depression, bereavement, mental issues as that is a pain that lasts forever and isnt comparable to physical pain IMO

Here is to no more pain for all on here

yep indeed, Im due another one soon I reckon, the other most painful one was explaining to my folks why there was a hole in the kitchen wall when they got back from their holidays

Believe me they still never believe how it happened but its the kind of story you could never make up involving a tablet and a cat
    A tablet and a cat eh ! Come on spill the beans !

First Team Breakthrough persevere1875's Avatar
    Had three spinal ops and suffered sciatica off and on for last 15 years, but nothing I can recall has ever come near to the pain experianced when passing a Kidney stone, believe me when I say its pain with a capital P

Ive hurt myself in a few imaginative ways over the years, here are a few of the most painful, in no particular order

1) Split open head, 100 stitches, you could see my skull, this was done doing a jump on my BMX on a building site, came flying down a hill, hit the mud jump, didnt use my breaks and smashed my heid off a concrete tube that was being lowered in to make a sewer

2) Broken wrist & split open head, on a building site yet again, was on the second story of scaffolding infront of the builders pully, decided to swing like tarzan on it without checking the rope was actually attached to anything, as you can imagine in true cartoon fashion the rope went flying through the pully and I was trying to climb a falling rope 20 feet up

3) At the dentist the injection didnt kick in, so i could feel the drill biting away at my teeth and rattling my jaw, didnt want to prolong the agony so just gripped the chair tighter and let them do it instead of saying anything

4) Torn cruciate, this was done in the first 5 minutes of a game and I played the remaining 55 hobbling about thinking I could run it off, didnt go to the Doctors for over 4 months until the constant pain and joint locking became unbearable

5) At work goes to walk out the door (safety self closing fire door) but the bit at the back that closes it has jammed so when I push the door open to happily escape work the door flies back in my face bursting my nose and chipping a bone behind my eyebrow, to this day my pals think that the shiner was because someone had battered me and my story about the door attacking me is some battered wives falling down the stairs story

and finally my all time favourite, probably the most stupid but also the most painful

6) Broken ribs and torn stomach muscles, round about when Jackass was in its prime, went out and got reekin, my pals says I will give you all the money I have on me (about £28 if IIRC) if you run into that bus stop as fast as you can, now I wasnt daft, I tested it first and thought I will bounce right off this no problem, turns out I didnt, I smashed right through the safety glass and slid on my side for a few feet, knew there and then Id done a dull one as I was pished and it hurt like hell.

Basically for the next month I have never felt pain like it, you cannot sleep or get comfy as everytime you move you can feel it, even now about 12 years later when im really tired I get a dull twinge in it

On the plus side I havent really hurt myself in about 5 or 6 years
    You don't post on here nearly enough mate :full marks:

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Cheers bud,

Well the hole in the wall story goes like this

i was still living home my folks went on holiday. the cat was on antibiotics and i don't know if anyone's tried to feed a cat a pill before.

I thought peice of piss and put it in with its food, nah my cat isn't that daft she ate all the food and left the pill in the bowl

so Im thinking one way or another you are taking this pill, got the cat in a head lock and prised her jaws open, tried this about 10 times but she keeps squirming and its just not happening.

Now this has all been going on about half an hour and my temper is rising, think to myself i will give it one more go and manage to get the tablet in her mouth and hold her mouth shut for a few secs til she has swallowed it, basically high fived myself thinking you are the king no cats getting the better of you, the cat nonchalantly walks away looks at me a spits it out

the rage overcomes me and i kick the wall in anger but my foot goes right through it, Im stood there with my foot in the wall thinking **** they've only been on holiday 5 hours and I've destroyed the house already.

So i get on the phone and call my grandad saying are you any good at fixing walls, he comes round and patches it up, luckily the same paint is still in the hut.

Now knowing how house proud my mum is as soon as she is within a hundred mile radius she will feel a disturbance in the force and know what I've done. he says don't mention it wait til she says something then tell her but i don't think she will notice it looks good as new.

I go to work the day the are due back and when i get in she goes what's this grandad tells me about the wall, the old bassa grasses me up Haha

to this day she thinks i had some mental party and doesn't believe it was all the cats fault!!!

I have done alright in not getting seriously ill or injured yet. *touchwood*

Worst was last year mucking about with a football with my dad and wee brother. I jumped trying to stop the ball and had my leg outright behind me. Landed on my toe and stubbed it pretty bad. They were all pissing themselves while i was in pretty bad pain. My toe went huge and purple, my mum who's a nurse later reckoned i had broke it but don't know for sure. Was sore for a few weeks but i never got it checked out or anything. That wasn't the nicest of times but not the worst i have read so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
    I see that there has been a rash of Tibetan monks imolating themselves in protest of the continued Chinese occupation. There was a pretty horrific clip - I think on TV - of one monk standing, burning alive. It really distorts the senses, seeing it in the flesh would wreck your head.

Meanwhile, the Chinese authorities have responded with thier customary restraint and good grace :rollyeyes:

P.S. sorry for the thread hijack.
    The monk was standing so still as well. Absolutely mental.

Being burnt like that or skinned alive is apparently the most painful thing that can happen. I had one of these raggy bits of skin below my nail a few days ago and I made an erse of tearing it off. I tore off a small line of skin which must have been only one millimeter wide by a centimeter long and it was bloody agony...I couldn't believe how much such a small wound hurt!

Definitely the highest pain to size of wound ratio.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I feel your pain.

I spent about 2 years being hit with at least one migraine lasting about 72 hours a week. Absolute torture.

Thankfully the right medication, keeping active and hydrated has meant I now have them far less frequently and severely.
    I was exactly the same. My fifth and sixth years at school were pretty much a write-off. They used to start with numbness in my fingers slowly spreading to my whole right side and my speech went completely awry - it varied between slurring, complete loss of speech and occasionally speaking but just random words.

I grew out of them a bit but still get them occasionally. Can I ask what medication worked for you?

Cheers bud,

Well the hole in the wall story goes like this

i was still living home my folks went on holiday. the cat was on antibiotics and i don't know if anyone's tried to feed a cat a pill before.

I thought peice of piss and put it in with its food, nah my cat isn't that daft she ate all the food and left the pill in the bowl

so Im thinking one way or another you are taking this pill, got the cat in a head lock and prised her jaws open, tried this about 10 times but she keeps squirming and its just not happening.

Now this has all been going on about half an hour and my temper is rising, think to myself i will give it one more go and manage to get the tablet in her mouth and hold her mouth shut for a few secs til she has swallowed it, basically high fived myself thinking you are the king no cats getting the better of you, the cat nonchalantly walks away looks at me a spits it out

the rage overcomes me and i kick the wall in anger but my foot goes right through it, Im stood there with my foot in the wall thinking **** they've only been on holiday 5 hours and I've destroyed the house already.

So i get on the phone and call my grandad saying are you any good at fixing walls, he comes round and patches it up, luckily the same paint is still in the hut.

Now knowing how house proud my mum is as soon as she is within a hundred mile radius she will feel a disturbance in the force and know what I've done. he says don't mention it wait til she says something then tell her but i don't think she will notice it looks good as new.

I go to work the day the are due back and when i get in she goes what's this grandad tells me about the wall, the old bassa grasses me up Haha

to this day she thinks i had some mental party and doesn't believe it was all the cats fault!!!
    Fantastic !

Blog Entries
    Not necessarily the worst pain I've had (see earlier post re-anaesthesia free vasectomy), but the stupidest involved an itchy foot.

I was sitting at my desk at work (twenty odd years ago now - good grief) and had a mild itch on the mid-outside of my right, just above my arch. Easy to reach with my finger down the side of my shoe, so I went to work. You know how you get that "aaahhhhh" feeling with a good itch-scratch, well it was great so I carried on with a bit more vigour, until my pleasure was abruptly stopped by a loud cracking noise. My finger had got wedged in my sock, I'd put too much downwards pressure on it and snapped all the tendons and ligaments at the top of the last joint on my middle finger on my right hand. The top third of the finger just kind of dangled there, and it hurt like a sod.

I had to have a plastic splint on my finger for 4 months, making me look like I was permanently giving people the finger.

Not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    I was exactly the same. My fifth and sixth years at school were pretty much a write-off. They used to start with numbness in my fingers slowly spreading to my whole right side and my speech went completely awry - it varied between slurring, complete loss of speech and occasionally speaking but just random words.

I grew out of them a bit but still get them occasionally. Can I ask what medication worked for you?
    Propranolol was what finally helped. It's actually a beta blocker most commonly used to treat heart conditions.

Don't get me wrong it didn't stop them but it lessened.the frequency and also eased the symptoms. It also helped with the anxiety I felt when they were about to come on which worsened the symptoms.

I also had accupuncture, something I was hugely sceptical about but it definitely helped.

It took a lot of trial and error though I was on everything from industrial strength painkillers to anti depressants.

A truly debilitating condition that is still a bit misunderstood imo.

Broke 2nd and 3rd metatarsils in my foot when I fell off a bar. When going to the toilet at night with my crutches I swung my foot heavily tino the wall (no plaster on it). Excrutiating.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Propranolol was what finally helped. It's actually a beta blocker most commonly used to treat heart conditions.

Don't get me wrong it didn't stop them but it lessened.the frequency and also eased the symptoms. It also helped with the anxiety I felt when they were about to come on which worsened the symptoms.

I also had accupuncture, something I was hugely sceptical about but it definitely helped.

It took a lot of trial and error though I was on everything from industrial strength painkillers to anti depressants.

A truly debilitating condition that is still a bit misunderstood imo.
    Propanolol didn't really help me. What did make a difference in the end was going to an osteopath. The therapist said that I had the skeletal make-up of a 50 year old so she sorted that out!

And I totally agree with your final line.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DrSpaceMonkey PSN ID: ImANeatMonster
    2 fractured vertibrae and slipped disc, all fused into place at the base of my spine. They can fix it but means 2+ years in a brace and if the operation didn't work a risk of not being able to walk. Think I'll stay broken for the foreseeable future

Broken heart

Headache caused by intercranial pressure from a 6" brain tumour

If someone offered to decapitate me, I would have gratefully accepted

Wow, that was a conversation stopper if ever I saw one.

I also got stung twice on my nutsack by a wasp too on the golf course... that wasn't nice. It must have flown up my shorts and stung me when I bent over to line up my putt. I jumped up and practically ripped off my shorts to much hillarity from the rest of my fourball. By the time I got back to the clubhouse, it looked like I had 4 balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Houchy View Post
    Wow, that was a conversation stopper if ever I saw one.

I also got stung twice on my nutsack by a wasp too on the golf course... that wasn't nice. It must have flown up my shorts and stung me when I bent over to line up my putt. I jumped up and practically ripped off my shorts to much hillarity from the rest of my fourball. By the time I got back to the clubhouse, it looked like I had 4 balls.
    TwoCarpets/Houchy - you have me in stitches on the train with your stories concerning the nether regions

Classic lads, classic!

Worst pain for me would have been either tearing every tendon in the fingers on my right hand and my little finger nearly hanging off when I was 15, my aunt goes to run my hand under cold water and the pain in my pinkie was so bad, that or appendicitis.

Torn ligaments in my ankle when I was a teenager, never felt pain like it, thought I'd broken or dislocated the ankle which is apparently less painful. It still hurts sometimes now in cold or damp weather.

Also when I was younger I shut my hand in the car door, door fully closed over it and I still don't know how I managed it. Delayed reaction followed by me screaming the place down, amazingly no broken bones from that one.

I also suffer from regular migraines but they don't even come close to the ankle pain.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Broke both my ankles when i was in my teens, and have broke my left wrist twice, all playing football. Have to say the worst was doing my ankle ligaments as someone points out on the thread it was more painful than the broken ankle.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chorley_fm View Post
    Broken heart

Its a dull one eh, currently going through a separation after being with the lassie for nearly 5 years. Not nice, Im an idiot though

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Its a dull one eh, currently going through a separation after being with the lassie for nearly 5 years. Not nice, Im an idiot though
    Sorry to hear that mate :-(

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    I feel as if I may have the winner.

I was getting a vasectomy, and lets just say the positioning of the local anaesthesia relating to where they do the actual cutting into yer nads was a tad imperfect. I howled like a wolf at the moon, almost punched the surgeon before instantly recalling he had a knife positioned at the edge of my bawbag. To add insult to quite literal injury it didnt work, and had to go through the whole thing again.

Even as I'm typing I can feel the pain of that knife... I would also like to apologise to the half dozen or so guys who were in the ante room waiting to go in for their own snip - I've often wondered how many of them bottled it as a result of my scream.
    I was told after much pain and butcher having a few problems that if he'd known about my previously fractured pelvis and associated damage that I would certainly have been given a GA for my snip. I can still feel it now.

Mucking about with a couple of 5 irons and golf balls in the park with a mate (I must've been about 9). He takes a big swing and hits the sweet spot....just as I've walked up the park to retrieve my ball. He yells 'four' and as I turn and duck, the ball smacks me on the side of me coupon. If he'd kept his trap shut it would have missed me. Had a bruise, ironically the size of a golf ball on the side of my head for a week.

Either that or the throb of an abcess in my gum/jaw. My whole head was throbbing so much I swear it registered on the richter scale.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Two rows of 14 stitches in my bishop. Getting the stitches wasn't the worst thing (although it wasn't nice either). Worse thing was having them self extract after my girlfriend of the time felt she'd had enough of the celibacy imposed on her by my injury.

Easily the worst pain for me was Snapping Ligaments on my ankle... not playing football or anything but on a trampoline...

My mate was trying to give me a "bounce" just as I was landing, for some reason my right foot went the tiniest bit at an angle and went over on it, coming down on it with my full weight I just crumpled and the tears began! Worst thing was I heard the ligaments snapping or something sounding like when you pull a elastic band too far. Instantly there was a ball the size of a tennis ball sticking outside my ankle, I tried to sit and rest it for about 35 minutes but the pain was too unbearable, my mum had to get me from my mates and take me to A&E, a nice wee six hour wait and about 4 painkillers and a set of crutches later I was out! I cant really put my right foot flat down on the ground if im leaning against something as they have fused together too tight now!

Appendicitus was nothing compared to that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    Two rows of 14 stitches in my bishop. Getting the stitches wasn't the worst thing (although it wasn't nice either). Worse thing was having them self extract after my girlfriend of the time felt she'd had enough of the celibacy imposed on her by my injury.
    Now, you see, I find myself wanting to know how that happened but at the same time really, really not wanting to know.