hibs.net Messageboard

doherty yesterday

well done Matty, nim and mcpake and rab carlos all slotted in nicely... but well done doherty... a stand out for me

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by strummbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well done Matty, nim and mcpake and rab carlos all slotted in nicely... but well done doherty... a stand out for me

Absolutely stuck out for me too just because he got on with the job, nothing flash but had our right side completely under control. My man of the match.

I think all of PF's signings were good yesterday with the exception of Doyle who I think needs time to get up to speed with the SPL. In fact IMHO he will not make the step up successfully. I left the game yesterday confident that we will not be long in the drop zone and happy that these players will get better as they play together. A good cup draw on Monday would be nice to give them something to aim at and get bums back on seats at ER.

Testimonial Due
    Do we call him the Irish Danny alves?

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Now that's what I call a Right Back.

Great display from Matt yesterday.

One word to sum up Doherty?
    Composure. He has an old head on his shoulders, very clever looking player.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    :

I think all of PF's signings were good yesterday with the exception of Doyle who I think needs time to get up to speed with the SPL. In fact IMHO he will not make the step up successfully.

He scored the winning goal.

One of my mates said that for long spells you never really noticed him because he was so assured, only time you were aware of him was when he done something positive in an attacking or last ditch sense.

That's how a defender should be.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    He scored the winning goal.
    Yes. Unfortunately that doesn't make him a great player. He also ducked out of challenges, was totally unaware of where the central defender was on every occasion he took the ball to feet and tried and failed with the same flick and turn all day. The guy has a lot to learn IMHO and I am not convinced he has what it takes to make the step up. Of course I want him to be a success but he doesn't look ready to me. All of PF's other signings excite me and I think McPake is going to be a legend if we can keep him.

Coaching Staff
    Yes. Unfortunately that doesn't make him a great player. He also ducked out of challenges, was totally unaware of where the central defender was on every occasion he took the ball to feet and tried and failed with the same flick and turn all day. The guy has a lot to learn IMHO and I am not convinced he has what it takes to make the step up. Of course I want him to be a success but he doesn't look ready to me. All of PF's other signings excite me and I think McPake is going to be a legend if we can keep him.
    You must have been at a different game to me. Doyle was always looking for the ball and trying to nip in for scraps when the ball was played up to him. You have to give Killie credit as they have good central defenders in Pascali (who I'd take at ER in a minute) and Nelson. GOC gave Doyle minimal support and his hold up play was non-existant. Doesn't help when Doyle was getting into good areas (such as the Kujabi slipped ball through). We started to play very deep and Doyle was having to come back into his own half to challenge and get some possession.

And when did he duck a challenge ?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    One of my mates said that for long spells you never really noticed him because he was so assured, only time you were aware of him was when he done something positive in an attacking or last ditch sense.

That's how a defender should be.
    His opponent never went past him once, has pace and comfortable on the ball. What a change to see. All 4 defenders were good yesterday, and McPake orchestrated it from the middle, it was great to see a defence than all seemed to know what their jobs were.

First Team Breakthrough supersauzee's Avatar
    Totally agree with all the above, Doherty was excellent throughtout the much. No mucking about, composed, could tackle, won his headers, was big, strong and quick! Perfect right back and would love Hibs to sign him but maybe Wolves have him in their plans.

I thought Kujabi was equally excellent, defended brillantly and won all headers his way for being such a small guy. If he had Booth beside him on the left he would have been more dangerous because Wotherspoon was terrible yesterday. I rate the lad but he was so slow and sh*t out of too many tackles for my liking. The amount of times he held his hand up to apologise for mis-placed passes was shocking!

Mcpake was good and Hanlon actually looked good next to him too! I slated him a a couple of days ago but maybe it was just Murray and O'Hanlon were macking him look bad.

Doyle done ok, chased and that but he too slow and lightweight. He will take time. GO'C defo looks out of shape and his touch deserted him yesterday. His mind is clearly on other things.

Middle of the park was poor too I think, totally out thought and out passed. Maybe with Claros in there next to Ozzy it may be better but we will see. we still need someone creative in there and dont know if and when we will ever have someone like that again. In the latapy or zemamma mould.

Soares was solid but that was about it. nothing flash, doesnt look the quickest but nothing much is gona get by him and doherty so I am happy.

All in all it was good to get the win and I am excited what the future under Fenlon is going to bring as we have at last a manager with an eye for a player! Was buzzin to see Rangers kicked out the cup too, hope the draw is kind to us!

At first i was worried he was drifting inside too much and leaving the wide man (whether overlapping fullback or left midfielder) with too much space. Some of the folk around me were shouting at him as well to tighten up on 'his man', instead of helping out his central defenders. As the game wore on i realised that thats how much space you can afford to give an opponent when you have sufficient pace, concentration and dont make stupid mistakes. When youve been watching the likes of Hart, Zarabi, Gathuessi, and out of position centre backs trying to play the position, you forget what a good fullback's proper position is.

As fans, we need to acclimatise ourselves to having proper footballers again

Thought he was class. He wasn't getting much support from Soares as the game wore on as he was out on his feet but this didn't knock him out of his stride. Nice to watch a full back doing things in a straight forward way.

I arrived at 3pm bang on KO

I was high up in the FF watched the entire game thinking the RB was Francomb

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    On the contrary Doyle looks a natural goalscorer to me and I think will turn out to be a great signing for us. Much of the stuff already being directed at him is the same sort of nonsense that was directed at Derek Riordan. Too light weight , too slow etc etc . Yes he obviously is still finding his feet at the club but you have to question the mentality of some fans and just what level they think Hibs are at the present..

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    On the contrary Doyle looks a natural goalscorer to me and I think will turn out to be a great signing for us. Much of the stuff already being directed at him is the same sort of nonsense that was directed at Derek Riordan. Too light weight , too slow etc etc . Yes he obviously is still finding his feet at the club but you have to question the mentality of some fans and just what level they think Hibs are at the present..
    Looks good to me and with the right partner he could score loads

I agree he was excellent, he has a fair bit of pace aswell

As for Doyle I cant believe the above comments, hes been decent since he came has scored a couple, looks inteligent and most importantly he works hard and gets into great poritions. He was constantly chasing things down yesterday, first half especially, as was G O'c but to a lesser extent IMO

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    If that's how you see him, that's fine, different opinions and all that, you know? but the stats show that he scored in a difficult game against cowdenbeath and scored again yesterday, in 2 successive cup games - in both cases vital in getting us through to the next round. imho part of judging a good striker is, well, if he does his job and scores, and scores when it matters. my point is, that this counts for a lot. i would rather he was scoring when he still had a bit to learn (he's a young laddie, so that's only to be expected) than if he promised a lot and was the finished article but hadn't found the back of the net.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    If that's how you see him, that's fine, different opinions and all that, you know? but the stats show that he scored in a difficult game against cowdenbeath and scored again yesterday, in 2 successive cup games - in both cases vital in getting us through to the next round. imho part of judging a good striker is, well, if he does his job and scores, and scores when it matters. my point is, that this counts for a lot. i would rather he was scoring when he still had a bit to learn (he's a young laddie, so that's only to be expected) than if he promised a lot and was the finished article but hadn't found the back of the net.
    Can't argue with that GG and of course only expressing my own view. My point is intended to be positive in that I believe that PF has made 8 signings of which only one doesn't look to me like he will make a big impact. When we make a comparison with our recent managers, from TM through to CC,that was not the case.

It is obvious to all now that PF brought him to Hibs for his defensive ability rather than his public speaking skills!!

Well played, Get into them lad!!

GGTTH

First Team Regular Bohemian_Hibee's Avatar
    Delighted to hear that Doherty did well on Saturday. Doubt he'll be the only ex-Bohs player to play for Hibs over the next couple of seasons

First Team Breakthrough Hibbylad86's Avatar
    On current showings this season he is the best right back at the club and a big improvement on previous RB's. Couple of times I was questioning him but generally solid, hopefully a bit of game time will sharpen him up. Things are looking up!!

GGTTH

:pfgwa

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    he looks very good, he was a bit ropey at time with his positioning but i think thats just experience. he definitely has the attributes to be a really good defender. His pace surprised me, the boy can move!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Hibee View Post
    he looks very good, he was a bit ropey at time with his positioning but i think thats just experience. he definitely has the attributes to be a really good defender. His pace surprised me, the boy can move!!!!
    Must agree, thought he gave his man too much space at times but had the pace to sort it. Good player.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    That block at the end was immense.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee 4 View Post
    Do we call him the Irish Danny alves?
    I believe Dani Alves is now known as the Brazilian Matt Doherty.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    I believe Dani Alves is now known as the Brazilian Matt Doherty.
    This was the case I seem to remember as quoted in the press when he joined Barca originally. Apparently grew up on the Rio streets watching the LOI.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

'S' Form
    Is this a serious post? If we are to get behind any player it should be the one's on a permanent deal i.e. Doyle. A player committed in the long run. The boy has been out of action for months so it will obviously take him time. 2 goals so far is a fine return

Relax, they might extend their contracts after we win the SC .

Can't argue with that GG and of course only expressing my own view. My point is intended to be positive in that I believe that PF has made 8 signings of which only one doesn't look to me like he will make a big impact. When we make a comparison with our recent managers, from TM through to CC,that was not the case.
    To me players up front are there to score goals. Doyle scored Hibs are through. Nothing else matters. For the record do you think O'Connor is worth his place in the team? Worst player on the pitch Saturday.