hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

New FIFA proposals at meeting in March

Including goal line technology, a fourth substitute in extra time and not sending off a player if a penalty is given for denying a goal scoring opportunity in the box.

Interesting.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fourth sub?

FMF

Would be better with 4 linesmen !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would be better with 4 linesmen !!!!
    Would never work mate.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Fourth sub?

FMF
    its bad enough with teams making a sub in injury time to waste time and break up play as it is.

should never happen but its the kind of thing they would allow and dismiss the things we really need like goal line tech.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green&White View Post
    its bad enough with teams making a sub in injury time to waste time and break up play as it is.

should never happen but its the kind of thing they would allow and dismiss the things we really need like goal line tech.
    Could it maybe be an extra sub for 30 minutes extra time (cup games)? Doesn't strike me as daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Could it maybe be an extra sub for 30 minutes extra time (cup games)? Doesn't strike me as daft.
    ahhh... its been a long day so far. took extra time as injury stupidly. whoopsie

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: O7 titch 62
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawr.rar View Post
    Including goal line technology, a fourth substitute in extra time and not sending off a player if a penalty is given for denying a goal scoring opportunity in the box.

Interesting.
    if this was the case if someone goes through one on one i would expect him to be fouled EVERY TIME stupid not to send the player off

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Titch View Post
    if this was the case if someone goes through one on one i would expect him to be fouled EVERY TIME stupid not to send the player off
    I think it's a reaction to the "double whammy" nature of the current situation. ie team loses a player and (normally) a goal as well.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Agreed. I guess they would still be cautioned and could go off if it was their second.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    The fouling/send off suggestion is ridiculous.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I think it's a reaction to the "double whammy" nature of the current situation. ie team loses a player and (normally) a goal as well.
    yes but say a player rounds the keeper and only needs to slot into an empty net what would you EXPECT him to do if he was not to be sent off ???

where i have put expect i mean DEMAND he do

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    yes but say a player rounds the keeper and only needs to slot into an empty net what would you EXPECT him to do if he was not to be sent off ???

where i have put expect i mean DEMAND he do
    I am not saying it's right. Merely saying why it's been put up for debate. The double-whammy argument has been around for a few years now.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I am not saying it's right. Merely saying why it's been put up for debate. The double-whammy argument has been around for a few years now.
    sorry if that came across as argumentative. Was just stating that this would ruin the game for me, as it would be exploited at every single game the world over. Maybe a slight change to the rule, where as if the ref deems it to be deliberate or not.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    The double whammy they should be looking at is the one where a player gets fouled then has to go off the pitch until the referee decides to let him back on thereby weakening the team that has been fouled. Crazy IMO.

Interesting.
    goal line technology - yes please
    4th sub in extra time - unsure, might be something behind it
    last man penalty - ridiculous

Left by mutual consent!

Interesting.
    First two are worth consideration, dinnae agree with the last one at all. Players having tae leave the park after treatment is something they should get rid of, an absolute nonsense IMO.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    I always remember when mcgregor done deano outside the box late in a cup game, he got his red Alexander went in and we missed the free kick, that led to a replay which we lost I always felt that was worse than just a red as he won the tie as a result of a cynical action
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    First two are worth consideration, dinnae agree with the last one at all. Players having tae leave the park after treatment is something they should get rid of, an absolute nonsense IMO.

Player receiving the card or making the foul should have to leave the park to get a detention slip from the 4th official.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    The double whammy they should be looking at is the one where a player gets fouled then has to go off the pitch until the referee decides to let him back on thereby weakening the team that has been fouled. Crazy IMO.
    I agree it's frustrating.

Its tempting to think that the victim and culprit should go off for the same period of time.

However, if they did, you'd have players feigning injury for longer to jeep a big centre half from defending the free kick etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I agree it's frustrating.

Its tempting to think that the victim and culprit should go off for the same period of time.

However, if they did, you'd have players feigning injury for longer to jeep a big centre half from defending the free kick etc.
    Vroom Vroom

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    I can't imagine they're going to completely remove the 'last man' rule, really. I think it'll be left at the referee's own discretion, who will have to make the decision based on several factors - severity of the challenge, whether or not there was intent etc.

Any professional foul on the park earns a player a yellow card, so for the punishment to be exactly the same when the challenge is in the penalty box - and thwarting an almost certain goal - would be ludicrous.

Goal line technology is such a waste of time or money. There are ridiculously few incidents that require replays to decide whether a ball crossed the line. The problem is that these incidents usually become high profile so people think they happen more than they actually do. For example, when was the last time there was a contentious incident at Easter Road? I'm struggling to remember one. The cost of this technology does not justify how often it would have to be used.

All for the extra sub in extra time. If the game is a 1/3rd longer, the subs available should increase by this too.

I can't see how the last one would work, because goalscoring opportunities can be anywhere. E.g. if a player is fouled after going clear through 40 yards out, all you would get is a freekick Maybe if the penalty was missed a red card could be handed out in retrospect to balance it out? Even then its still a problem.

For me, the thing that would solve all of this is video technology like American Football and Tennis. A manager can appeal 2 or 3 decisions per match. The 5th official (video referee) reviews the incident using tv footage and overturns the decision on the pitch only if he is 100% sure the original call was wrong. Because challenges are limited, the hold up in play would not be as long as it is in Rugby for instance.

Also, should we not use some sort of Sin Bin system? For challenges or incidents that don't warrant a sending off but are definitely more than a booking?

I wouldn't relax the 'last-man' rule. I would make it tighter!

If a player is fouled outside the box but the referee deemed it a clear goal scoring opportunity the culprit is sent off but the attacking team only get a free kick. I think that because a clear goal scoring opportunity was denied then the attacking team should be awarded a penalty no matter where the offence was committed. Whether the player who committed the foul should be sent off would be up to the ref.

First Team Breakthrough
    What about the defender being sent off if the penalty is missed and remains on (yellow card) if it scored? Therefore not a double whammy of losing a goal and a player? It's wrong not to be sent off if the attacking team misses the resulting penalty.

Hmmm.....this is taking it for granted that it was in the box.....not quite sure what would happen outside the box, better get the thinking cap on before I call Platini etc.

Also not sure what would happen if the "defender" is the goalkeeper, if the penalty is scored he stays on and if he saves it he gets sent off?

Jeez I've not really thought this through very well!!!!

Back to the drawing board.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    An alternative would be to bring in a "penalty goal" concept (ala rugby), where if the referee thinks the defending team is deliberately fouling to avoid conceding a try they just give a penalty try. That would cover both inside and outside the box.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pentlando View Post
    Goal line technology is such a waste of time or money. There are ridiculously few incidents that require replays to decide whether a ball crossed the line. The problem is that these incidents usually become high profile so people think they happen more than they actually do. For example, when was the last time there was a contentious incident at Easter Road? I'm struggling to remember one. The cost of this technology does not justify how often it would have to be used.

All for the extra sub in extra time. If the game is a 1/3rd longer, the subs available should increase by this too.

I can't see how the last one would work, because goalscoring opportunities can be anywhere. E.g. if a player is fouled after going clear through 40 yards out, all you would get is a freekick Maybe if the penalty was missed a red card could be handed out in retrospect to balance it out? Even then its still a problem.

For me, the thing that would solve all of this is video technology like American Football and Tennis. A manager can appeal 2 or 3 decisions per match. The 5th official (video referee) reviews the incident using tv footage and overturns the decision on the pitch only if he is 100% sure the original call was wrong. Because challenges are limited, the hold up in play would not be as long as it is in Rugby for instance.
    Probably Ross "pointer" Chisholm clearing one off the line against the Huns in the last few games of 08/09.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post
    I wouldn't relax the 'last-man' rule. I would make it tighter!

If a player is fouled outside the box but the referee deemed it a clear goal scoring opportunity the culprit is sent off but the attacking team only get a free kick. I think that because a clear goal scoring opportunity was denied then the attacking team should be awarded a penalty no matter where the offence was committed. Whether the player who committed the foul should be sent off would be up to the ref.
    I wouldnae leave it up tae the refs here, can you imagine the inconsistency when applying it (particularly when it involves two certain teams), it would be awful just like it is with everything else. IMO the player should go off, a penalty is worth nothing unless it is actually scored. What if it's missed? nae benefit tae the team that lost the clear goal scoring opportunity and nae punishment tae the offending team as the score stays the same and they still have all their players. I think all it would do is encourage players tae commit a foul tae stop an almost certain goal scoring opportunity in the hope the penalty would be missed.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 01-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Interesting.
    goal line technology - needed IMHO

a fourth substitute in extra time - nae need IMHO

not sending off a player if a penalty is given for denying a goal scoring opportunity in the box - if it is deliberate the defender should go. If the pen is missed the player should go. If scored the defender should stay on the park - nae need for the double whammy.