hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar

(SHC) Rob Jones et al, you should be ashamed of yourselves

Harking back to the days of Rob Jones when he went crawling and moaning to Fraud about J.C. training the players too hard and asking to much of them, the recent exersions of Djocovic, Nadal and Murray to a lesser extent, (although if he had made the final I am sure he would have been fit enough too) should really put these guys, and every other football player, to shame.
    John Collins noticed the lack of fitness and probably professionalism, that his squad had and tried to do something about it. The players didn't like having to work that bit harder and moaned to R.P. who quite incredibly, I believe took their side against his manager.
    Football players and managers still today moan about them having to play 2 games a week, yet over the past few days in the tennis, we have seen Djokovic in particular play about 11 hours of top class tennis in the space of three days, in incredible heat, THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL BEING FIT.

Next time any player or manager complains about how many games they are having to play, I hope somebody reminds them about the 2012 Australian Open Tennis.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Harking back to the days of Rob Jones when he went crawling and moaning to Fraud about J.C. training the players too hard and asking to much of them, the recent exersions of Djocovic, Nadal and Murray to a lesser extent, (although if he had made the final I am sure he would have been fit enough too) should really put these guys, and every other football player, to shame.
    John Collins noticed the lack of fitness and probably professionalism, that his squad had and tried to do something about it. The players didn't like having to work that bit harder and moaned to R.P. who quite incredibly, I believe took their side against his manager.
    Football players and managers still today moan about them having to play 2 games a week, yet over the past few days in the tennis, we have seen Djokovic in particular play about 11 hours of top class tennis in the space of three days, in incredible heat, THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL BEING FIT.

Next time any player or manager complains about how many games they are having to play, I hope somebody reminds them about the 2012 Australian Open Tennis.
    I totally agree with the sentiments of your post although I'm still of the opinion that as Captain, Big Rab was uncomfortable in the role he had to play in that very sad and embarrassing day for the Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I totally agree with the sentiments of your post although I'm still of the opinion that as Captain, Big Rab was uncomfortable in the role he had to play in that very sad and embarrassing day for the Club.
    Yup. I was always under the impression that Jones was only acting, as captain, on the wishes of the squad.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875

100% spot on, I have lost a load of respect for football players over the last 6 or 7 years. To me they have went from geniuses to cheating, moaning, overpaid wimps who would last 5 minutes in most other sports.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar

When did this happen? I must have missed that part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    100% spot on, I have lost a load of respect for football players over the last 6 or 7 years. To me they have went from geniuses to cheating, moaning, overpaid wimps who would last 5 minutes in most other sports.

There is some truth in that, the way some of them go down you would think there were snippers on the roofs.

I was under the impression Rod met them out of professional courtesy and told them in no uncertain term, Collins is the manager, you'll do what yer telt!

Jones had to get involved as he was the captain, although not sure he would've been entirely comfortable with the whole thing.

I appreciate the point being made here and I am not defending lazy players. However it is worth keeping in mind that the three tennis players mentioned are at the top of their sport e.g. the equivalent of Manchester, Barcelona, Chelsea players and so to compare them with Hibs players is a wee bit off the mark. However, you just need to look back at Kevin Keegan to realise that a hard work ethic can lead to you becoming one of the top players (earnings too) even if you don't have the skills of the best players in the world. Rob Jones et al had an opportunity under John Collins to become better all round players and blew that opportunity in my opinion. |If Petrie took the side of the players then he hasn't done them or us any favours.

Same problem La Guen had at Rangers, trying to knock a Scottish football team into a proper professional sports outfit goes completely against the interest of the players who like a half day of work, loads of time off, time for a bit of golf and time to head out and be the big man about town and have a few bevvies with your adoring fans and assorted lackies...we missed our chance to push Hibs away from some of the ingrained problems and attitudes that are still lurking around the club and are probably quite likely one of the reasons we have failed to progress..

I honestly believe we would have been consistently hitting top end of the table had collins stayed on, or even higher.
    we should have begged him to come back well before now. as much as we laugh at the yams, if you think back not 2 long ,we also consistently shoot ourself in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    When did this happen? I must have missed that part of the story.
    Exactly.

My opinion of Rod Petrie is going downhill rapidly but to suggest he backed the players is nonsense. He agreed to a meeting, the fact it was at his home was wrong though.

In the months that followed the alleged ringleaders of the 'rebellion' were all shiped out the club, Mikey Stewart, Steven Whittaker, Ivan Sproule to name a few. That looks to me as though Rod backed the manager long term even if he handled the situation badly in the short term.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

I love how history can be re written here on dot net, and then passed off as the truth. I believe we won the scottish cup 3 years on the trot during the 90's, what a fantastic time to be a Hibby, especially when you consider we also won the league cup and championship twice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Green&White View Post

I honestly believe we would have been consistently hitting top end of the table had collins stayed on, or even higher.
    we should have begged him to come back well before now. as much as we laugh at the yams, if you think back not 2 long ,we also consistently shoot ourself in the foot.
    What exactly do you base this on?

I liked JC and his attempts at installing a professional attitude but he signed dross and we were already half the way down the hill when he jumped before being pushed. Some folk have selective memories, JC was public enemy number 1 on here just before he went, there were regular threads calling for him to GTF, polls suggesting a majority wanted him punted etc etc

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I love how history can be re written here on dot net, and then passed off as the truth. I believe we won the scottish cup 3 years on the trot during the 90's, what a fantastic time to be a Hibby, especially when you consider we also won the league cup and championship twice too.
    Aye and the Champions League final penalty shoot out 'heartbreak' was a scunner too.

Especially as Messi missed the first...

We will always struggle as a selling club. Professionalism and fitness is desirable but in the end we'd still only be churning out superfit robots for the Old Firm and English Championship. Therefore, as important is being able to source a decent replacement quickly and cheap. Aside from not getting his philosophy across Collins failed in attaining adequate replacements under the constraints at Hibs.

Had he not gone when he did he would surely have taken the hump before much longer. The idea that we would have consistently been hitting the top of the table under Collins has no basis in reality.

John Collins. The next Mourinhio flying under the radar of EVERY club in the world. A secret genius that only a handful of Hibs fans have spotted as the real deal..

The tell tale signs? The ability to talk a good game.

What's putting everybody off his scent? His lack of man management skills, his eye for a non-player and, barring 2 short unexceptional stints in Belgium, nobody will touch him with a barge pole.

Cant believe this over emphasized meeting at RP's house is still being used as a stick to beat whoever is at the end of individual's agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    I was under the impression Rod met them out of professional courtesy and told them in no uncertain term, Collins is the manager, you'll do what yer telt!

Jones had to get involved as he was the captain, although not sure he would've been entirely comfortable with the whole thing.

Thought we had seen/heard the last of this incident but for what it's worth your post is as near th etruth as we will ever get.
    I had rellies at ER at the time and they were very reluctant to talk about the happenings .
    One thing they did say was that RP made the managers "overall control" position very clear to those who "attended"the meeting

Again must add that Collins complete lack of "people skills" let him down at this time

Can we let it be in the past please

Coaching Staff

Do you think any of those two would have got out of bed for Rob Jones's wages?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Do you think any of those two would have got out of bed for Rob Jones's wages?
    Certainly not if Kim Sears was in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    What exactly do you base this on?

I liked JC and his attempts at installing a professional attitude but he signed dross and we were already half the way down the hill when he jumped before being pushed. Some folk have selective memories, JC was public enemy number 1 on here just before he went, there were regular threads calling for him to GTF, polls suggesting a majority wanted him punted etc etc
    Well i wasnt one of that majority. apart from this season due to money issues, ive been to every home game and a good few away games since the blobby days and imho the last good game of football we played was under collins.

we know mowbary mentioned when he left that there wasnt enough backing from the club to progress and bring in new players. then collins had to deal with losing all our best players to the old firm and not get enough funding to fend off other spl teams (hammil to well if he is to be believed).

as the OP mentions collins was trying to instil a work ethic into the club and it was working.

how any1 can deny that a good part (if not major) of our current predicament is due to the players at the club having the wrong attitude is beyond me.
    so based on that and if collins had the same financial backing as yogi, mixu and CC had i IMHO believe we would be in a far far FAR better state now.

Well i wasnt one of that majority. apart from this season due to money issues, ive been to every home game and a good few away games since the blobby days and imho the last good game of football we played was under collins.

we know mowbary mentioned when he left that there wasnt enough backing from the club to progress and bring in new players. then collins had to deal with losing all our best players to the old firm and not get enough funding to fend off other spl teams (hammil to well if he is to be believed).

as the OP mentions collins was trying to instil a work ethic into the club and it was working.

how any1 can deny that a good part (if not major) of our current predicament is due to the players at the club having the wrong attitude is beyond me.
    so based on that and if collins had the same financial backing as yogi, mixu and CC had i IMHO believe we would be in a far far FAR better state now.

Collins knew the budget he was working with.

It wasn't that different to the others you mentioned. However Collins chose to waste a huge chunk of it on 2 duds in O'Brien and MaKalambay. He realised his mistake, went looking for more cash, was told there was none so took the huff.

Agree with the principle behind comments but tennis is a poor analogy given players get a break for 1.5 minutes after every 2 games, and sometimes after only 1 game.

Quote Originally Posted by SubiacoHibs View Post
    John Collins. The next Mourinhio flying under the radar of EVERY club in the world. A secret genius that only a handful of Hibs fans have spotted as the real deal..

What's putting everybody off his scent? His lack of man management skills, his eye for a non-player and, barring 2 short unexceptional stints in Belgium, nobody will touch him with a barge pole.

Cant believe this over emphasized meeting at RP's house is still being used as a stick to beat whoever is at the end of individual's agendas.
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Collins knew the budget he was working with.

It wasn't that different to the others you mentioned. However Collins chose to waste a huge chunk of it on 2 duds in O'Brien and MaKalambay. He realised his mistake, went looking for more cash, was told there was none so took the huff.

Well if two players that couldnt have been on world shattering wages are all teh budget he had to replace the likes of brown, whittiker, thompson etc then i think we can all see the huge problem at our club.

i understand alot of that money was needed to balance the books so to speak but if im collins and your being told all ur best players are being sold and ur getting no money back to replace them..BUT... we are building this massive training complex (that lets be honest we didnt need and hasnt worked at all so far and wuld have been better used to improve on field issues) then id take the huff aswell.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Well if two players that couldnt have been on world shattering wages are all teh budget he had to replace the likes of brown, whittiker, thompson etc then i think we can all see the huge problem at our club.

i understand alot of that money was needed to balance the books so to speak but if im collins and your being told all ur best players are being sold and ur getting no money back to replace them..BUT... we are building this massive training complex (that lets be honest we didnt need and hasnt worked at all so far and wuld have been better used to improve on field issues) then id take the huff aswell.
    Well i think that rules you out of ever getting the job in the future.

Coaching Staff

Collins had more backing than any other recent manager with decent ransfer fees being paid, and ultimately wasted. I love JC but it really wasn't happening for him.

The Hammil thing is yet another myth. Maybe even JC believes it?

JC walked without talking to the board about targets and money as there. Money that was spent just weeks later when we paid fees for the likes of Nish and Rankin and we paid decent wages to Ian Murray who went in at left back. If JC had wanted Hammill, who shortly after went to Motherwell when they were totally strapped, he would have been fine to do so.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker II View Post
    Agree with the principle behind comments but tennis is a poor analogy given players get a break for 1.5 minutes after every 2 games, and sometimes after only 1 game.
    Think they can be compared as tennis players are constantly sprinting around in short spells. If you take into account the amount of time the ball is up the park or out of play in football due to throw ins/injuries/fouls etc footballers get a break as well. In addition successful tennis players play matches every couple of days in addition to training. Would love to compare a footballer to a tennis player on Sporting Superstars nowadays. Doubt there was that much of difference years ago.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker II View Post
    Over 90 minutes I believe a footballer generally covers an average of about 8-9km.

For a five set tennis match the distance is about 6-7km.

Football probably has less upper body movement and less explosive movement but footballers are on the move almost continuously, have a lot more physical contact which itself is tiring and provides you with a few more physical aches and pains quite apart from the actual exertion.

Tennis players have a longer time period to last for of course but there is a regular opportunity to rest and rehydrate.

Quote Originally Posted by SubiacoHibs View Post

Quite right. Within a few weeks of winning a trophy Collins turned the team into a demoralised shambles. I don't know what the dispute was about, but whatever Collins was trying to do, he lacked the management skills to achieve it. If people don't want to follow you, you're not a leader.