hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Keepy up King

Keepy up King

First post so be gentle,
    When watching the subs warming up on Saturday, it was obvious that the St. Johnstone subs had a structure to what they were up to, long range shots, stretching etc,
    I looked at our boys basically farting about and playing keepie uppy
    One of them I could not get a look at and could not recognise but he was having a great time trapping the ball on the back of his neck having a laugh and all that then I realised it was Stack,FFS what is our reserve keeper doing playing keepie uppie he was never anywhere near the goalposts
    I might be over egging it but I think it kind of reflects the lack of proffesionalism that a lot of people have been alluding to over the last few years
    Last edited by omalley50; 23-01-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    You couldn't recognise Stack!!!

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Been done before , can't we just have a flag debate and be done with it
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

I don't understand why the subs stay on the pitch at half time at all. What does pissing about with the ball or even doing a proper drill actually acheive if they are just going to sit back down on the bench as soon as the second half starts.

Never really understood it although I suppose there are plenty handling drills a keeper can do and a few simple drills a player can do that don't require breaking too much of a sweat. Always thought it was a bit pointless though.

I thought it was maybe just me, but i'm glad someone else is annoyed at this. It has been doing my nut in for months now.

Our half time warm up or whatever it is is a complete shambles and looks totally unprofessional. At the Inverness game a couple of weeks ago, instead of warming up Palsson helped the groundsmen collect the rubbish blowing around the park.

It's the perception of what people thinks of this that gets me. If a coach can't come out and do some form of structured warm-up routine then the subs would be as well being present at the half time team talk (or collecting the rubbish blowing about!). I've seen 12 year old kids with more structure to their warm up routine.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand why the subs stay on the pitch at half time at all. What does pissing about with the ball or even doing a proper drill actually acheive if they are just going to sit back down on the bench as soon as the second half starts.

Never really understood it although I suppose there are plenty handling drills a keeper can do and a few simple drills a player can do that don't require breaking too much of a sweat. Always thought it was a bit pointless though.

i imagine it's to stop the bones/muscles stiffening up, been a few cases of hamstrings going, all because of the wrong/lack of exercise prior to the actual game starting, well that's the reason i think

Quote Originally Posted by aob4green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IIf a coach can't come out and do some form of structured warm-up routine then the subs would be as well being present at the half time team talk (or collecting the rubbish blowing about!). I've seen 12 year old kids with more structure to their warm up routine.
    Agree with that. It should help them once they do get on the park, and there is plenty time for stretching and warming up once the second half starts.

I didn't notice. I was too busy watching the Superbowl style half time entertainment :

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Often wandered about the point of half time warm up for subs, in the dressing room there will be tactical advice given to the 11 players based on the first half yet we could have 2 subs on within 10 mins of restart.

They are not keeping warm outside in the pishin rain, they are not doing any stretching routines but in fact are more at risk of pinging a muscle by just kicking a ball about.

Makes no sense when you actually think about it!

Each player will have different needs. Different muscles that are tight and they all basicly need to do their own thing. Drills are just for show (or for rugby). I dont have a problem with Palson collecting rubbish, a light jog and doing something useful.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    When did this practice start? In the past, if you saw a substitute out on the pitch at half time you knew that a change was going to be made. I think there are actually more folk on the pitch at half time than during the game itself. What with subs having a kick-about, goals and other apparatus scattered about for kids football and 10 second challenges with an MC shouting at the top of his voice. Looks more like an episode of "It`s a Knockout" at times.