hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanlon

@hibs.net private member

Hanlon

Under another new manager he seems to be 1st pick. Not good enough easily knocked off the ball seems he is untouchable.Defence has been murder for last few years probably since he has been part of it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

i genuinely think Paul played OK today. Was pulled out left a lot to cover for Booth and did OK there. Won most headers. Distribution was good or very good. Yes he should have done better at 3rd goal...but also and excellent finish. The 2nd goal was Stephens fault no question (unless Brown was playing mute). What he was doing I'll never know.

I don't think Paul is a poor player at all. Several hibs managers fron Mixu onwards and Billy Stark would suggest this as well.

Hibs just have a very young defence. I think we need a real hard man sitting right in front of it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i genuinely think Paul played OK today. Was pulled out left a lot to cover for Booth and did OK there. Won most headers. Distribution was good or very good. Yes he should have done better at 3rd goal...but also and excellent finish. The 2nd goal was Stephens fault no question (unless Brown was playing mute). What he was doing I'll never know.

I don't think Paul is a poor player at all. Several hibs managers fron Mixu onwards and Billy Stark would suggest this as well.

Hibs just have a very young defence. I think we need a real hard man sitting right in front of it.
    Yes and the several managers have all been fergies.

I think that if Hanlon had been bought from another club, rather than coming through the ranks, he'd be up there with Hart, Sproule and Galbriath in the Hibs fans' affections.

The integral part of one of the worst SPL defences over the last two years.

First Team Breakthrough muzzhfc's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: muzz-a-bear
    thing is though, who do we have to replace ANY of our defenders? well theres; . . . and . . . and . . . oh yeah and theres . . .
    we could put in some of the young boys. and if things dont improve? the fans get on their backs and slate them. their confidence goes and then they are "not good enough" . . .

Sandaza & Huber ran the Hibs defence ragged all day, finding space, switching between each other - our guys seem a yard off the pace right across the back four, unable to concentrate & reluctant to put a challenge in

Jody Morris strolled through the game

Just watched the game on Alba - Hanlon was at fault for their 2nd and 3rd goals IMHO (albeit Stephens was murder for their 2nd also).

Hanlon unfortunately is one of many gash players at our club - simply not good enough.

First Team Regular Northfield Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Voice Of Reason View Post
    Just watched the game on Alba - Hanlon was at fault for their 2nd and 3rd goals IMHO (albeit Stephens was murder for their 2nd also).

Hanlon unfortunately is one of many gash players at our club - simply not good enough.

Hanlon is a tidy player, but not tough or good enough to play in the centre of defence. Sandaza and Habber bossed him and Stephens for the whole game. We need a couple of centre halfs like Rae or Jones, no nonsense players that know what to do, nice and simple stuff, but can handle themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice Of Reason View Post

I was at the game and came back and watched it on Alba aswell, we have said for long enough Hanlon cant cope when he comes up against big centre forwards and today well you dont get much bigger than Fran and Haber. I have praised Stephens alot recently but today he was as bad if not worse than Hanlon. We could easily ditch the whole back four and probably be no weaker. I like Booth but hes not a great defender, worth a shout in midfield cause Sproule is murder aswell.

Back to topic, I also agree PH has been a constant in Hibs having the worse defence I can remember, at CH and at LB. Get rid for me.
    Last edited by SMAXXA; 21-01-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    Under another new manager he seems to be 1st pick. Not good enough easily knocked off the ball seems he is untouchable.Defence has been murder for last few years probably since he has been part of it.
    Maybe if we signed some half decent experienced defenders to play around him he would come on better as he wouldnt be under as much pressure. The way things stand though, I dont think him or for that matter any defender we have is good enogh to start for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post

I was at the game and came back and watched it on Alba aswell, we have said for long enough Hanlon cant cope when he comes up against big centre forwards and today well you dont get much bigger than Fran and Haber. I have praised Stephens alot recently but today he was as bad if not worse than Hanlon. We could easily ditch the whole back four and probably be no weaker. I like Booth but hes not a great defender, worth a shout in midfield cause Sproule is murder aswell.

Back to topic, I also agree PH has been a constand in Hibs having the worse defence I can remember, CH and at LB. Get rid for me.
    Honestly, those two centre forwards must have thought their birthdays and xmas had come at once.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzhfc View Post
    thing is though, who do we have to replace ANY of our defenders? well theres; . . . and . . . and . . . oh yeah and theres . . .
    we could put in some of the young boys. and if things dont improve? the fans get on their backs and slate them. their confidence goes and then they are "not good enough" . . .
    I'm sorry but your defence of our defence is indefensible
    Its easily the most powder puff ever! They're as mobile as a 30 stone American with a Burger in each hand who can't decide which one to bite into first. It has nothing to do with confidence. Pat could be seen shouting at them to concentrate when we went to 2 - 2 but they couldn't even do that!
    Last edited by JohnScott; 21-01-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Hanlon and Stephens didn't have a chance of coping with their front two. It's not as if they have to cope with strikers with such movement in training, is it?!

Coaching Staff
    Paul is a left sided player. Take a look at Sandaza's winner closely and it typifies for me Paul's faults. Concentration, timing and positioning all in one. Hart admittedly headers weakly to the Saints player.....but at that moment, losing possession in that area, you should anticipate a ball into the area. Hanlon is not in any way tight or aware to Sandaza. When he gets the ball, Paul seems to usher him onto his strong foot (Sandaza's) and then not only that, fails to really get into his body......again, anticipation is key. Sandaza moves to shoot, and you would think a left footer would then throw his left foot to block, deflect or prevent the shot. Paul isn't even spun...he has the chance to throw himself (or his foot) left. He watches.....ball watches, admires and allows.....a Paul Hanlon trait I'm afraid and one that is happening time and time again and being punished. It's the SPL, not Under 21 football. Fulham having a look at him.....Billy McKinlay needs his eyes tested, or perhaps he is having a laugh. Never ever in a million years will Paul Hanlon reach the Premiership. He won't, IMHO, make it in the SPL.

Too 'nice', not strong enough, with little pace. He looks lost and he looks scared......the opposition see that and sense it. Nice left foot, no doubt a fully committed and hard working trainer.....a joy to work with. We need leaders and men in the central area, and a similar leader planted in front of them. We have absolutely none at Hibernian......none !

I think Brooster said plump Jordan Forster in at centre half......tell you what, if we don't get experience in at centre half this window (which is looking unlikely) , then we could do no worse, indeed, he is by some distance ahead of that pair today on their showing.

I honestly don't think I have ever been so disbelieving whilst watching football at Easter Road in a long time (that period in the second half before and after their second goal).....it was like I was watching 11 lemmings running after a football but always two yards off the pace.

Double sessions please Pat...........this lot need to learn football all over again. Those that cannot can be shown the door in summer.

Ironically, in my view at least, Hanlon played better defensively than Booth today but you won't see Calum getting slaughtered on here and rightly so. Lay off PH I say
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Sandaza is for me the best striker in the SPL at the minute, his performance today was second to none.

Hanlon and Stephens were outclassed today. The first goal Hanlon makes a great block, just typifies Hibs that the rebound would go straight to a Saints player. Stephens was at fault for the second goal IMHO, turned to all buggery and shoved out the way by someone who is comparatively tiny. The third was just a great goal for me, yes Hanlon could have done more, but so could any defender when anyone scores. Swing out a leg and you might block it, deflect it into your own net or be off balance and make it easier for the attacker to skin them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Ironically, in my view at least, Hanlon played better defensively than Booth today but you won't see Calum getting slaughtered on here and rightly so. Lay off PH I say
    I hear what ur saying mate but its getting far to frequent people quite rightly picking out PH's failings and his inept performances, if it was on the odd occasion then fair enough but IMO its not and id go as far as saying hes worse more frequent than he is decent and cant say I can recall en exceptional performance from him? We cant keep on blaming everyone else and for the team having p*sh players alongside him etc, if he was anything worth his salt he would stand out in a poor team but hes as poor as anyone IMO

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I'm sorry but your defence of our defence is indefensible
    Its easily the most powder puff ever! They're as mobile as a 30 stone American with a Burger in each hand who can't decide which one to bite into first. It has nothing to do with confidence. Pat could be seen shouting at them to concentrate when we went to 2 - 2 but they couldn't even do that!
    im not defending them, im just sayinging that we have no one to replace them. yeah our defence is too lightweight but thats the fault of yogi and cc. we have a new manager who has identified that we need defenders but he has said that it is proving difficult to bring players in. the only players available in january (normally) are either poor or cost money. if i was a manager id rather sign 3 players for free than having to use some of the wages money on transfer fees so id wait until the summer. im not saying i wouldnt bring anyone in or pay money for players, im just saying id sign one or two defenders (or a defensive midfielder) now then wait for the summer where theres more players available.

I hear what ur saying mate but its getting far to frequent people quite rightly picking out PH's failings and his inept performances, if it was on the odd occasion then fair enough but IMO its not and id go as far as saying hes worse more frequent than he is decent and cant say I can recall en exceptional performance from him? We cant keep on blaming everyone else and for the team having p*sh players alongside him etc, if he was anything worth his salt he would stand out in a poor team but hes as poor as anyone IMO
    I agree he's poor at the moment but none of the back four is playing well and it just seems unfair to single out PH. The real problem is that we could drop him and bring in O'Hanlon who's even worse!
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I agree he's poor at the moment but none of the back four is playing well and it just seems unfair to single out PH. The real problem is that we could drop him and bring in O'Hanlon who's even worse!
    I totally agree I dont think O'Hanlon is any better and I also agree that we dont have many other options, possibly Murry. I think even that speaks volumes for the state we are in having these guys as our options. No team will be a success unless we build from the back, shut out the goals and we may win more than not as we have goals in our team. I also agree about singeling him out, all our back 4 were terrible today, at least Stepehsn as bad as he was topday was IMO excellent in a number of games leading upto the derby and good at Dunfermline aswell. Hart is murder we all know that and Booth isnt great defending but good going forward. I dont even rate Towell but I am surprised he cant or couldnt even displace Hart.

PH isnt good enough and deserves the criticisim alongside the rest of our defence, all I would say is hes been there for a few years now the rest havnt and we have been poor defensivley for most if not all his time in there. (not blaming it all on him for all our defensive failings by any means though)
    Last edited by SMAXXA; 21-01-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Gamer IDs

otally agree I dont think O'Hanlon is any better and I also agree that we dont have many other options, possibly Murry.
    its MurrAy. sorry but i hate it when people who miss spell Murray

its MurrAy. sorry but i hate it when people who miss spell Murray
    Typo my friend, I know his name very well. Anyway I think theres more to worry about than this at the moment.

Gamer IDs

Typo my friend, I know his name very well. Anyway I think theres more to worry about than this at the moment.
    like what? teams playing well, sitting pretty in the league . . . oops sorry, was looking at the laptop upside down. your right, we do have other things to worry about

like what? teams playing well, sitting pretty in the league . . . oops sorry, was looking at the laptop upside down. your right, we do have other things to worry about
    Hmmmmm If I didnt know better that could translate into hearts season so far, strange comments, you sure ur no a Jambo????

Gamer IDs

Hmmmmm If I didnt know better that could translate into hearts season so far, strange comments, you sure ur no a Jambo????
    i went to shanghai a couple of months ago and i was wearing my timberland boots and the bouncer asked if i thought i was going to the hearts match. i informed him im no such yam. i also said id rather castrate myself rather than going to watch them.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    i went to shanghai a couple of months ago and i was wearing my timberland boots and the bouncer asked if i thought i was going to the hearts match. i informed him im no such yam. i also said id rather castrate myself rather than going to watch them.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

i'm having a silly moment, what's the connection ?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i'm having a silly moment, what's the connection ?
    should of said, shanghai on george street. where everyone is full of them selves. said i was "too casual"

Left by mutual consent!
    After today's match , it is YET another reason why Hanlon should be playing at LB and Booth should be moved on one into midfield...

should of said, shanghai on george street. where everyone is full of them selves. said i was "too casual"
    I have bo idea WTF you are on about