hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Regular

Building From The Back

Only time we did it today we break up the park and score......................

Its a no brainer for me..........nothing worse than seeing a long punt up the park from the GK

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JIm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Its a no brainer for me..........nothing worse than seeing a long punt up the park from the GK

Agree 100%

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Every time Brown punted it up the park, Dunfermlines CBs won the ball and it went straight up to their strikers. Against a better team we would have suffered. Dont know why we insist on playing like that, as has been said, when we got the ball on the ground and played it quickly forward, we were ripping them to pieces. Would rather we played like that all the time, even if it costs us goals now and then, than hoofing the ball up to the forwards which almost never stuck, a style that doesnt suit any of the 3 strikers on the pitch at the end of the game!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Even more so when you have a keeper who is unable to kick a ball.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    It's a confidence thing, punting the ball 50 yards up the park has a lot less immediate risk to it than passing the ball around in your own half, the defenders will also be thinking if the balls at the half way line the other teams not going to score from there.

The more often we win and the further away from the bottom we get the more we're likely to see the team passing it from the back.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    When we try and play football on the deck, we put some decent moves together. There's nothing worse than watching that ball pinging around the air from head to head

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Even more so when you have a keeper who is unable to kick a ball.
    To be fair to Brown (and I'm not usually) there was nothing really wrong with his kicking today maybe the fact most were from hand helped but he kept most/all in the pitch with good distance
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    To be fair to Brown (and I'm not usually) there was nothing really wrong with his kicking today maybe the fact most were from hand helped but he kept most/all in the pitch with good distance
    A lot of them were just in the pitch though! I didn't really think he was kicking with any great control of the flight of the ball, with most looking "sliced". Maybe intentional of course, but to me his kicking is just speculative punting, and we would be in a better position to create openings by running at the opposition from deeper areas, as we saw from Booth in the lead up to the goal.
    Not worrying too much about it tonight though, we got the win and that's all that matters right now!

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it was good but based on previous displays it was much improved. Agree we should build from the back however you need to trust your full backs, I trust 1
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIm View Post

very annoying watching the ball get lofted so many times, 9/10 it was just headed back to put more pressure on us, do we really expect to win headers with stevenson/sparky/doyle/callum booth/ivan equaling the height of a Gnat, brown did indeed receive a lot of applause/cheers when he actually rolled it out to booth for a change and started the move of that led to the goal it was only when o'connor came on that we started winning the ball in the air a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    It's a confidence thing, punting the ball 50 yards up the park has a lot less immediate risk to it than passing the ball around in your own half, the defenders will also be thinking if the balls at the half way line the other teams not going to score from there.

The more often we win and the further away from the bottom we get the more we're likely to see the team passing it from the back.

That's the nail hit squarely on the napper. PF still has a good bit of work to do in solidifying the defence, and meantime its a percentage playing tactic that clears the immediate area of any danger. If we can get a bit of consistency, which will breed confidence in what can hopefully become a stable back line then playing football from the back will pay great dividends, but at the minute it's a bit too risky.