hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Andy Murray's just won the opening set against Michael Llodra, 6-4.

The winner will play either Mikhail Kukushkin or Gael Monfils in the last 16. Kukushkin served for the match in the 3rd set but Monfils has now taken it to a 5th set.

Live coverage of Murray's match on Eurosport 2.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just caught this on some website and it looks a hugely entertaining match - Murray's really quite good

Murray wins 6-4 6-2 6-0 after a highly entertaining match and will play Mikhail Kukushkin in the next round

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xoROOSKYox
    What a match! Llodra was no match for Murray's skill & power. Should win his next game but has to make sure he doesn't overlook him.

Very good performance by Murray today. Llodra didn't put up much resistance, if truth be told, but he looked solid throughout.

Monfils going out is another bonus for him as I'm sure at the start of the tournament, he'll have been happy at playing someone ranked 92nd in the world for a place in the quarter finals.

Kukushkin won't be an easy opponent for him and I expect him to face his toughest test yet. He's knocked out two seeded players already over five sets in the previous two rounds and will be feeling confident.

Murray also had a tough match against him a few weeks ago in a warm up event for the Australian Open.

It's an entirely different scenario in a Grand Slam though and this is the furthest that Kukushkin has ever managed to get to in a Grand Slam.

I fully expect Murray to go through, probably to face Tsonga.

Tomorrow will see the first four names into the draw for the quarter finals.

Feliciano Lopez vs Rafael Nadal (approx. 1.30am UK time)
    Tomas Berdych vs Nicolas Almagro (approx. 3am UK time)
    Philipp Kohlschreiber vs Juan Martin Del Potro (approx. 5.30am UK time)
    Bernard Tomic vs Roger Federer (8am UK time)

Don't expect any shocks there and I fully expect to see Nadal, Berdych, Del Potro and Federer progress.

As predicted, Roger Federer, Juan Martin Del Potro, Rafael Nadal and Tomas Berdych are all through to the quarter finals in Melbourne.

The first three went through in straight sets, however Berdych had a tougher test in beating Nicolas Almagro. The Spaniard won the opening set and Berdych managed to win the next three, all on tiebreaks.

It also had a controversial ending as Berdych refused to shake hands with Almagro at the end of the match.

Expect to hear more on that in the next day or two.

Tomorrow, Andy Murray will attempt to reach the quarter finals in Australia, when he takes on Mikhail Kukushkin. It's going to be another late night for anyone in the UK wanting to watch it as he will be on at around 1.30-2am (UK time).

If he wins, he will play the winner of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Kei Nishikori, which begins at around 1.30am (UK time).

Novak Djokovic takes on the last remaining Australian left in the draw, Lleyton Hewitt and that match will begin at around 10-10.30am (UK time).

The winner of that match will take on the winner of Richard Gasquet and David Ferrer, which will begin at approximately 3.30am (UK time).

Once again, I don't expect to see any shocks and I fully expect that half of the quarter final draw to be;

Murray vs Tsonga
    Djokovic vs Ferrer

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Falkirk aken you have explained it mate but im thick as ****...So to make it clear...Is Andy playing tonight?? As in Monday morning?? Just so i can set my alarm, Cheers mate.

Indeed he is, after Ana Ivanovic's match, which is a nice wee bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Ivanovic is lush on the eye but she is honkin to watch

Biggest bottle merchant going!,...Now give me Wozniacki any day off the week...Wee Rory's burd is well fit

Ivanovic is playing the no.2 seed and Wimbledon winner Kvitova, so, enjoy watching her whilst you can!

New balls please! ;-)

Should be on about 1.30am.

I won't be staying up for it, just off to bed just now so I'll catch up with it later today when the highlights are on at a half decent time.

Come on, Andy!

Delighted to say it, but, what a non event this match is. Murray takes set 1 6-1. Won't take too long to get the win methinks!

Set 2 to Murray 6 1 after 44 mins of the match.

Bed time for me!

Murray of the court in less than an hour 6-1 6-1 1- 0 and the gadgey retires..He did have 2 5 setters so its taken its toll on him.

Watching Tsonga match right now and he looks like taking it to a 5th set so more time on court the better as Andy has the winner...Now if only someone could do a number on Djokovic!!.

Set 2 to Murray 6 1 after 44 mins of the match.

Bed time for me!
    Got up this morning started watching the 3rd set, went to make a cuppa, came back through, match over.
    A nice Brucie for Murray that!

Fantastic outcome for Murray.

I gather it was boiling in Melbourne this morning so it was good that Murray only had to be out there for less than an hour.

Also a brilliant result for him in the other match with Nishikori beating Tsonga in five sets.

Obviously it's the quarter finals of a Grand Slam that we're getting into now so everyone that's made it this far is there on merit and you can't dismiss anyone but I think if you had asked Murray at the start of the tournament if he would have liked to have faced Kukushkin and Nishikori, instead of Monfils and Tsonga for a place in the semi finals, he would have bitten your hand off.

I really don't see Nishikori causing Murray any serious problems, although you never know.

Would be great if Ferrer could, at the very least, take Djokovic to a long five set match at the same time because if he does face Murray in the semis and he's fresh, I can't see him losing to Murray.

Lleyton Hewitt did really well to take a set off Djokovic earlier. After the first set ended 6-1, Hewitt could have folded but you've got to admire the determination that he has to never give up.

Tomorrow, we've got a potential classic as Federer takes on Del Potro in the early hours and Nadal plays Berdych at 8.30am.

Should be a good morning of action.

Agree Falkirk...Need Djokovic to get taken as far as he can!!...Hewitt took a set of him tho and broke him a good few times Djokovic was defo vulnerable in the 3rd and 4th set but wasn't at his usual best.

If it is Andy and Novak in the semi's then hours on court will be taken into account, Andy has breezed through IMO Whilst Novak hasn't played his best BUT its Djokovic...Best player on the planet bar none!!! Ill be watching for sure

Interesting to see Murray is still roughly the same price to win the tournament as he was before it started.
    Cannae see him winning it, but, just by his general demeanour I get the feeling Lendl will eventually make that little bit of improvement to Murray that could step him up to Grand Slam winning level.

Interesting to see Murray is still roughly the same price to win the tournament as he was before it started.
    Cannae see him winning it, but, just by his general demeanour I get the feeling Lendl will eventually make that little bit of improvement to Murray that could step him up to Grand Slam winning level.
    To be fair, I don't really see what has changed for Murray from before the start of the tournament and now.

With the best will in the world, he was always going to make the quarter finals, barring a major breakdown in either mind or body.

He's still probably going to have to beat Djokovic and then either Federer or Nadal (maybe Del Potro, which wouldn't be an easy task either) if he's going to lift the title on Sunday night.

The odds that actually do surprise me are Nadal's. I know he's had his fitness worries recently but the guy's got through all his matches so far without any problems whatsoever, hasn't even dropped a set yet.

I would never discount Rafael Nadal. The guy is just an unbelievable athlete and a great champion and I am surprised to see him as the 4th favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    To be fair, I don't really see what has changed for Murray from before the start of the tournament and now.

With the best will in the world, he was always going to make the quarter finals, barring a major breakdown in either mind or body.

He's still probably going to have to beat Djokovic and then either Federer or Nadal (maybe Del Potro, which wouldn't be an easy task either) if he's going to lift the title on Sunday night.

The odds that actually do surprise me are Nadal's. I know he's had his fitness worries recently but the guy's got through all his matches so far without any problems whatsoever, hasn't even dropped a set yet.

I would never discount Rafael Nadal. The guy is just an unbelievable athlete and a great champion and I am surprised to see him as the 4th favourite.
    I fancy Nadal to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I fancy Nadal to win it.
    Nothing would surprise me as far as Nadal's concerned, however I still feel Djokovic is the man to beat.

You are right about Murrays odds FH, a mate of mine said he was going to back Murray to win it before his first tie and told him he'd be as well waiting until the last 8.

Rafa's in a bit of bother right now against Tomas Berdych. He lost the 1st set on a tiebreak and was up a break in the 2nd set but Berdych has managed to break back. Nadal is currently 6-5 up on Berdych's serve.

No such problems for Roger Federer earlier on against Juan Martin Del Potro as he breezed through in straight sets.

He'll now play the winner of Nadal and Berdych in the semis.

Just a quick note on tomorrow's schedule and it's not great news for British viewers as Andy Murray's match against Kei Nishikori will be on at about 3.30am (UK time).

NIGHTMARE!!!

Nadal takes the 2nd set tie break 7-6. Game on.

0330 start for Murray means I should see a bit of it as me and my old man are catching a flight to Lithuania @ 0700!

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Nadal takes the 2nd set tie break 7-6. Game on.
    Nadal wins the third, 6-4.

He now leads two sets to one after almost 3.5 hours!

You've got to admire Rafa. He's an absolute machine!

0330 start for Murray means I should see a bit of it as me and my old man are catching a flight to Lithuania @ 0700!
    Lucky you, I'll be in dream land at that time!

PS-I hope you're not one of those Qatari sheikhs that Alex Salmond was begging to go and meet Romanov and make him an offer to buy him out!

We've got a few hundred quids worth of Litas to take with us. I don't know how he could refuse such a generous offer!

Nadal wins 6-7 7-6 6-4 6-3 after almost 4 and a half hours.

Unreal!

Rafa vs Roger on Thursday in the semis!

Cannot wait!
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 24-01-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Your right FH Nadal is an absolute machine

Enjoy Hutchy .....Keep away fae the wummin they dinnae shave

Listen tae Greg Rusedaki say 'Djkovic' In his Canadian accent, He exaggarates it a mullion percent ' Djjjjjjaaaaaaaaaakovic