hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Days In

Ten Days In

Here we are 10 days into the transfer window and no new players as of yet. One of the biggest games so far this season only a few days ahead,anybody else getting worried about the lack of activity in the transfer market. What is the stumbling block is it lack of finances, inflated transfer fees or is it players just dont want to come to Easter Road.Hopefully things will start to happen this week but starting to get really worried

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Doyle??

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    So Doyle doesn't count?

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here we are 10 days into the transfer window and no new players as of yet.
    You're not really doing yourself any favours if you can't even get the basics right.

According to a text I got from the Evening News, Fenlon says our league position is putting players off comimg to Easter Road.

[QUOTE=hibsforeurope;3069181]Doyle??[/QUOTE
    ]Signed before the window opened was he not ,but one singing is not exactly a sunami

Here we are 10 days into the transfer window and no new players as of yet. One of the biggest games so far this season only a few days ahead,anybody else getting worried about the lack of activity in the transfer market. What is the stumbling block is it lack of finances, inflated transfer fees or is it players just dont want to come to Easter Road.Hopefully things will start to happen this week but starting to get really worried
    Im no!

I would rather wait for the right players and take a defeat to Dunfy with this lot and improve for the remainder of the season if it means we have to wait another couple of weeks to get the right players in, so be it.

@hibs.net private member
    Must admit I am thinking the same way. I can't believe no new signings have been made yet. (Both Doyle and Griffiths could well have been sorted before window opened.) I am really disappointed that no centre half, right back and or a leader on the park in midfield has been secured. I realise he would want to make his mind up about the existing squad and give them a chance but surely BB's job would have been to brief him about our shortcomings and the goals against column would let him know how bad things were.

Technically it is two signings as Leigh Griffiths has signed to the end of the season as well.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    [QUOTE=scuttle;3069187]
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    Doyle??[/QUOTE
    ]Signed before the window opened was he not ,but one singing is not exactly a sunami
    If your expecting a Sunami then in think you will be disapointed. I think its more likely we will sign a few players to improve the first team and allow us to concentrate on staying up, and Doyle was registered with Hibs in January

Quote Originally Posted by Franck is God View Post
    Technically it is two signings as Leigh Griffiths has signed to the end of the season as well.
    I was aware of Griffiths,what I said was NEW payers,so technically that means were safe now does it

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Ten days in but Twenty one to go! NO NEED TO PANIC

Pat Fenlon provides the answer for you

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    According to a text I got from the Evening News, Fenlon says our league position is putting players off comimg to Easter Road.
    Story here with this quote from Fenlon, looks like we will have to be patient.

Asked about the calibre of player he’s seeking, Fenlon said: “We are talking about some decent quality players at the moment. Getting them in and convincing them to come to Hibs is a hard task and obviously our league position doesn’t help. But our plan is to get us up the table and the players that come in will have to be strong characters and that’s probably why it’s taking a bit longer.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...hard_1_2046291

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He's signed an extension, not really a new addition. He has been here for the disastrous first half of the season.

I was aware of Griffiths,what I said was NEW payers,so technically that means were safe now does it
    At this point every team in the land is working out which players they want for the remainder of the season (as are we) and very few deals have been completed in any league so far and the majority that have are loans or pre-contracts.

We have signed Doyle, re-signed Griffiths, we are being heavily linked with a centre half (McPake) and a few right backs including Neil Austin. We have also been linked with Stephen Hughes, Dean Shiels and a number of players Fenlon has previously managed.

I would like a few of these guys to come in before the weekend but if they don't arrive until later in the window I am sure it will not be a lack of effort from Hibs that causes it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Well we better hope he can persuade a few decent players tae come here otherwise we're really in the

We have signed Doyle, re-signed Griffiths, we are being heavily linked with a centre half (McPake) and a few right backs including Neil Austin. We have also been linked with Stephen Hughes, Dean Shiels and a number of players Fenlon has previously managed.

I would like a few of these guys to come in before the weekend but if they don't arrive until later in the window I am sure it will not be a lack of effort from Hibs that causes it.
    Read somewhere that the Coventry Manager won't send McPake out on loan until he has a 'replacement' in.

So that one doesn't sound imminent either.

Blog Entries
    At this point every team in the land is working out which players they want for the remainder of the season (as are we) and very few deals have been completed in any league so far and the majority that have are loans or pre-contracts.

Would be disappointing if we face this massive game, in terms of points and morale, without addressing the problem areas of defence and midfield creativity. Yes all teams are trying to pick up deals in this window but our need is greater than most, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Would be disappointing if we face this massive game, in terms of points and morale, without addressing the problem areas of defence and midfield creativity. Yes all teams are trying to pick up deals in this window but our need is greater than most, surely.
    Unfortunately telling the 'selling club' that we really need a player and that we'll be their best friend forever is unlikely to make a deal happen faster....

I know there's still time but I did expect a couple more players to have signed before the Dunfermline match this weekend.

It's a game we really must win and with the team we're likely to put out on Saturday, if we don't sign any new players, I'm really not confident at all that they'll be capable of winning this match.

In terms of the bigger picture, though, there's still 3 weeks of the window left so I'm not concerned about a lack of faces just yet.

As for the comment by Fenlon, I'm not surprised at all that we're finding it hard to entice players to the club. He has a really tough job on his hands and I don't envy him one bit.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Must admit I am thinking the same way. I can't believe no new signings have been made yet. (Both Doyle and Griffiths could well have been sorted before window opened.) I am really disappointed that no centre half, right back and or a leader on the park in midfield has been secured. I realise he would want to make his mind up about the existing squad and give them a chance but surely BB's job would have been to brief him about our shortcomings and the goals against column would let him know how bad things were.
    Every year without fail we get the same stuff written, as if you just decide you want someone and they magically appear.

You are as deluded as the average yam if you think that everyone at the club is just sitting about until the day you read someone has signed.

And yes, as ever, we don't count the two we've secured for some reason. Both of whom scored last week!

Oh aye, and the other classic - we have a big game this week we need new players for. A player is for the term of his contract not just for the next Saturday.
    Last edited by Andy74; 10-01-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Every year without fail we get the same stuff written, as if you just decide you want someone and they magically appear.

You are as deluded as the average yam if you think that everyone at the club is just sitting about until the day you read someone has signed.

And yes, as ever, we don't count the two we've secured for some reason. Both of whom scored last week!

Oh aye, and the other classic - we have a big game this week we need new players for. A player is for the term of his contract not just for the next Saturday.

Yeah no rush at all , we are sitting pretty and even if we get relegated things will be just fine !. Just because fans want the best for Hibs there is no need to call them yams.

There's bigger and better clubs (with plenty money) than Hibs that need to be patient in the transfer window.

Whilst moves have been made to get rid of some players that have hardly played at all this season or whom have had very little impact. So trust in Pat, give him time and don't moan every day there's no additional players. Chill oot and have faith.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by down the slope View Post
    Yeah no rush at all , we are sitting pretty and even if we get relegated things will be just fine !. Just because fans want the best for Hibs there is no need to call them yams.
    We all want the best for Hibs..We are were we are because the of the previous manager & the players he left us with. We need to get better than we have and as Fenlon states thats not an easy task in our current position. Can you name any manager that says the winter window is a good time to buy? Even the clubs in good positions with more money find it difficult at this time of year to bring the right players in.. Hopefully Pat can persuade a couple of players (who are better than what we have and keen to join up) in this window..I'm sure it's not for lack of trying if we dont.

@hibs.net private member

No need to get personal. As far as I am aware I have never written this before and I realise there is no sprinkle of fairy dust making these players appear. At no stage did I say everyone was sitting around. I did express disappointment and surprise that we don't have more signings. The 2 who you mention were with Hibs before the transfer window in some form and I am surprised others hadn't been lined up.

Finally, yes it would be better if we had a solid centre half before Saturday and yes it is a really big game.

Blog Entries
    So we have secured two and not one according to you. Let's extend the contracts of all the first team squad and hey ho we have secured atound 20 odd players.

Yes we all know it is difficult to sign players in January but surely this is not a surprise to Hibs management. I am sure they knew the window opened on the 1st of January. They will have identified players a long time ago especially for our problem areas. Normally Hibs can wait to last minute and pick up deals at right price but with our current plight it might be worth upping the ante and giving our top targets an offer they can't refuse.

Yes players are there for a contracts length and not just one game but many are likely to be short term deals so as well to get them in early window and get a few more games out them. After all it would have been good to have a few new faces at Ayr last year but by end of the month it was too late to salvage any cup run.
    Last edited by Spike Mandela; 10-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Definition of "Scuttle":1. Nautical
    a) to cut open a hole or holes in a ship's hull
    b) to sink a ship by this means.

Something smells yammy.

However I believe that sifting out the bad eggs is much more valuable at the moment that bringing in more players. Players like Agogo, Palsson and Welsh are exactly the sort of characters that Hibs don't need at the moment. They bring nothing to the team anymore yet think of themselves as the bees knees. They don't care much whether we get relegated, as long as they get paid. Players like that are causing disruption which is completely toxic to a team that are in a relegation fight. Once they've been put aside Hibs can think more about new signings

Quote Originally Posted by highland_hibbee View Post

Definition of "Scuttle":1. Nautical
    a) to cut open a hole or holes in a ship's hull
    b) to sink a ship by this means.

Something smells yammy.

However I believe that sifting out the bad eggs is much more valuable at the moment that bringing in more players. Players like Agogo, Palsson and Welsh are exactly the sort of characters that Hibs don't need at the moment. They bring nothing to the team anymore yet think of themselves as the bees knees. They don't care much whether we get relegated, as long as they get paid. Players like that are causing disruption which is completely toxic to a team that are in a relegation fight. Once they've been put aside Hibs can think more about new signings
    Thanks a lot mate, I can take getting abuse as earlier on this thread ,i can take our team being s**** at the moment and our lack of activity in the transfer window ,but to be accused of being a YAM YOU ARE SKATING ON THE THINEST OF THIN ICE. Scuttle is a reference to my nautical past and has no other hidden meanings so GIRFUY

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    So we have secured two and not one according to you. Let's extend the contracts of all the first team squad and hey ho we have secured atound 20 odd players.

Yes we all know it is difficult to sign players in January but surely this is not a surprise to Hibs management. I am sure they knew the window opened on the 1st of January. They will have identified players a long time ago especially for our problem areas. Normally Hibs can wait to last minute and pick up deals at right price but with our current plight it might be worth upping the ante and giving our top targets an offer they can't refuse.

Yes players are there for a contracts length and not just one game but many are likely to be short term deals so as well to get them in early window and get a few more games out them. After all it would have been good to have a few new faces at Ayr last year but by end of the month it was too late to salvage any cup run.
    A pedant writes; But it is two players secured as Griffiths would have been away back to Wolves after the cup tie if his loan hadn't been extended. The rest of the first team squad have deals until May/June or beyond so thats not the same as securing a player for the rest of this season.