hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar

Leigh Griffiths - Loan extended until the summer

In the Scotsman today that we defo want him ( on loan ) ? Fenlon saying if he has to be bought then we won't be buying him that's for certain? what's that about, surely we must be able to afford to buy Leigh for gods sake? if not we must be in a worst state that I thought.

2. Log in to remove the advert

There will only be a certain amount in the budget available to Fenlon, and since the fee that Wolves are talking about is £150k he's maybe decided that having around another £3k a week available to fund a couple of new players is worth more to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There will only be a certain amount in the budget available to Fenlon, and since the fee that Wolves are talking about is £150k he's maybe decided that having around another £3k a week available to fund a couple of new players is worth more to him?

God help us then, a player who is a hibee and wants to be here, and will get better that's for sure and we can't afford £150k . what a joke

we're doomed and going down

Is he worth 150k?

I wouldn't think his performances have deserved us splashing that kind of cash.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    IMO Hibs do have the money, its maybe the case that Fenlon does not think he is worth £150k

You would think STF would put his hand in his pocket fo some loose change and buy Griffiths ffs.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish View Post
    IMO Hibs do have the money, its maybe the case that Fenlon does not think he is worth £150k
    Did fenlon pay cash sums for players at his old club? Maybe he isn't very good at valuing players...
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxHibs View Post
    Is he worth 150k?

I wouldn't think his performances have deserved us splashing that kind of cash.

Your Joking right? 150k and you don't think he worth that? wait until St Johnston or St Mirren buy him and it comes back to haunt us big time.

we are a joke just now, and getting players for free or that nobody else wants are why we are in this state. it's a sad sad time that we can't buy a player for the future and is one of us is very sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    God help us then, a player who is a hibee and wants to be here, and will get better that's for sure and we can't afford £150k . what a joke

we're doomed and going down
    This is all part of the negotiations playing out in the media, Rod will be looking to get him for a nominal fee with add on's, he is hardly going to go with the first offer is he??

He know Wolves dont want him and he wants to play for hibs, he will squeeze them, its the hibs way.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Did fenlon pay cash sums for players at his old club? Maybe he isn't very good at valuing players...
    Maybe Fenlon thinks he can get a more complete player for that amount

You would think STF would put his hand in his pocket fo some loose change and buy Griffiths ffs.
    Why ?

Wolves don't want Leigh so if any team pay £150K they need their heads examined.

Fenlon said in the Scotsman this morning that "if he has to be bought we won't be buying him ", Thank you Rod. Our esteemed chairman should have a look at the league table. It would seem we are not going to buy our way out of the situation , an utter shambles.

Testimonial Due
    Your Joking right? 150k and you don't think he worth that? wait until St Johnston or St Mirren buy him and it comes back to haunt us big time.

we are a joke just now, and getting players for free or that nobody else wants are why we are in this state. it's a sad sad time that we can't buy a player for the future and is one of us is very sad indeed.
    Where are those two - or any other Scottish club - getting 150k from??
    YOU'RE joking right!!

You obviously never noticed the 900k loss we made in the last accounts. Since then our crowds have plummeted even more so there is no danger we will be paying out fees. Spending 150k on Griffiths isnt speculating to accummulate in my opinion either and based on performances so far isnt going to be our saviour albeit I want him to stay (on loan).

These points are all before we discuss whether he is actually worth 150k and the good point made before on this thread about on spending it on wages for a player instead.

Wolves are onbviously not inundated with offers for the boy which is why Hibs are still negotiating with them rather than just caving in and paying a fee for him.

Yes I'm joking......... Lets just pay 300k just to make sure he doesn't end up at St Johnston or St Mirren. After all he is an Hibs fan.

My question is has Leigh player well enough in the games he has played to expect us to splash 150k on? Not convinced on the games I have seen.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    I think a loan would be the right move. LEts see how he does until the Summer. If he plays better, sign him and if he doesnt we havent wasted money. I do think he is going to be a good player in the future though.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish View Post
    Maybe Fenlon thinks he can get a more complete player for that amount
    I'm also guessing so, I imagine Fenlon wasn't lumping fairly decent sums of cash around so he knows what he can get compared to managers that throw cash and know they are buying talent.

Roy Hodgson when at Liverpool is a great example that didn't know what to do when he had a pot of gold and was extremely reluctant to do this and when he did it was to appease the fans...sound familiar
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    Where are those two - or any other Scottish club - getting 150k from??
    YOU'RE joking right!!

You obviously never noticed the 900k loss we made in the last accounts. Since then our crowds have plummeted even more so there is no danger we will be paying out fees. Spending 150k on Griffiths isnt speculating to accummulate in my opinion either and based on performances so far isnt going to be our saviour albeit I want him to stay (on loan).

These points are all before we discuss whether he is actually worth 150k and the good point made before on this thread about on spending it on wages for a player instead.

Wolves are onbviously not inundated with offers for the boy which is why Hibs are still negotiating with them rather than just caving in and paying a fee for him.
    and the reason being, short term contracts, not willing to part with cash for players and poor journeymen.
    150,000 for a Scotland u21 with promise?
    mibbe its Rods way of negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    and the reason being, short term contracts, not willing to part with cash for players and poor journeymen.
    150,000 for a Scotland u21 with promise?
    mibbe its Rods way of negotiating.

Glad somebody agrees with me, that's the reason we are in this state in the first place, let's wait until everybody buys the players they want and see what's left, that's the hibs way.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I think there'd be far better value for money out there than 150k they're wanting.

Off the top of my head sutton from hearts and the morrocan boy from falkirk both have better scoring records than griffiths, I don't disagree he has potential but if we were to start gambling on players maybe coming good I'd want it on someone that's been better than griffiths has been.

Also the fact he's a hibby is about irrelevant as it gets.

I have yet to see him play a decent game I dont think he is worth 150K

On his defence he is not a lone striker or a winger he is someone who would play off another centre forward

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think there'd be far better value for money out there than 150k they're wanting.

Off the top of my head sutton from hearts and the morrocan boy from falkirk both have better scoring records than griffiths, I don't disagree he has potential but if we were to start gambling on players maybe coming good I'd want it on someone that's been better than griffiths has been.

Also the fact he's a hibby is about irrelevant as it gets.
    Good post.

On his defence he is not a lone striker or a winger he is someone who would play off another centre forward

Quote Originally Posted by happiehibbie View Post

maybe needs his budget for another player who we cant get on loan !
    Last edited by Mikey; 06-01-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Coaching Staff
    Has it escaped notice that Wolves just paid 150k for him and are now regretting it??

Given his impact so far, and number of goals, I fail to see the clamour to spend cash on him. Is it because some folk spent so long raving about him before he came that it has just stuck?

Given how awful this team has been, and how often he's played, I can't see how he can be thought of as some essential component. If we can get him back on loan or on the cheap, fair enough, but his club clearly don't want him, so just paying what they want seems daft. Can't imagine there will be a queue of clubs wanting him based on his performances with us anyway.

As for him 'being a Hibby' it didn't stop folk tearing Nish apart at every opportunity. Has absolutely no relation to whether he should be at the club or not.

Griffiths had a good game at Fir Park in the cup. That's it though. The majority of the time he has been average at best.

Maybe he has been acting on Rod's instructions and playing deliberately poorly (so we can get him for next to nowt?!?)

In summary, I think the £150,000 would be better spent elsewhere (like on a decent midfielder!)

I'd only keep him on if we get the loan extended or for a nominal fee, 150K may not sound a lot, but that's a decent chunk of money we can put towards wages in the short term, to try get players in Jan - a window we know that is hard to do so...

If Fenlon see's him as a really good longer term prospect then i'm sure Petrie will get his poker face on again to play with Wolves chairman, but ultimately we need to think now and get players in that keep us up this season.

If I am to be honest, perhaps harsh, I think the lad will never really 'make it' and Hibs might even be above his level (which is very harsh I know considering our current stanard of player), I haven't been impressed with him and needs to seriously work on his composure to become a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Has it escaped notice that Wolves just paid 150k for him and are now regretting it??
    Premiership teams often buy 3 or 4 young lads from Scottish or lower English league teams who have shown potential. They pay between 100 - 250K and if only one of them comes good they are delighted. The rest - they sell for half of what they paid.

Wolves will know they won't get their money back on griffiths, but I think Hibs should negotiate to buy him if it's between 75 - 100K. Christ it's only an extra 1000 paying fans at 4 home games. St Mirren and St Johnstone are both tracking him.

First Team Breakthrough
    It's the we won't pay anything for him that concerns me. We paid £100k for jimmy Scott and we aren't,t willing to pay at all for a decent young striker with potential - close to our best player in derby and with the right partner his holing up off the ball could be just what we need . Until we speculate a bit to Advance we will continue the transformation to becoming a 1st div club.