hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Amnesty - End the booing and negativity at ER

As fans there are some things we cant change and there are somethings we can change, here is a rather outlandish idea, why don't we try and change something we can have direct impact on very quickly. Stop the booing of our own team and stop any abuse of our own players, who would want to sign or stay for around for the abuse dished out (by a minority most the time). A good way to is to stifle the abuse is with chants when you hear it taking place, this way you don't risk getting a smack in the gob telling someone to shut up. Buts if someone near starts piping up shouting abuse, just start chanting hibees, hibees at the top of your voice to drown them out. We need to be proactive, this is our club!!!

Below are the thoughts of another poster I have taken form another thread 'ArgileHibby' was the author I think:

".........You're correct the booing fans are not THE problem but they are definitely ONE of the many problems at ER just now. It is however one of the easier problems to overcome if the fans were firstly willing to accept they are part of the overall problem and then simply make a decision now to stop the negativity and start encouraging the team regardless of what is happening on the pitch. I'd be very interested to see what improvements there would be if we, the fans, introduced a self imposed amnesty and basically cut out the negative reaction to everything that happens on the pitch that is less than 100% in Hibs favour. There is nothing to lose by cutting out the booing, jeering etc and you never know it might just see the team and therefore the fans gain something.

There is a lack of quality in the team and some of the players are less able to handle the criticism than others. Correcting that lack of quality and inner strength costs money, changing the way the fans react costs nothing and while it may not result in us going on long winning streak and reaching / winning cup finals I do believe that it would see a positive return in terms of performance and points gained. As I said nothing to lose in trying it is there?"

I thought this is such a well made point it deserves its own thread.

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As fans there are some things we cant change and there are somethings we can change, here is a rather outlandish idea, why don't we try and change something we can have direct impact on very quickly. Stop the booing of our own team and stop any abuse of our own players, who would want to sign or stay for around for the abuse dished out (by a minority most the time). A good way to is to stifle the abuse is with chants when you hear it taking place, this way you don't risk getting a smack in the gob telling someone to shut up. Buts if someone near starts piping up shouting abuse, just start chanting hibees, hibees at the top of your voice to drown them out. We need to be proactive, this is our club!!!

Below are the thoughts of another poster I have taken form another thread 'ArgileHibby' was the author I think:

".........You're correct the booing fans are not THE problem but they are definitely ONE of the many problems at ER just now. It is however one of the easier problems to overcome if the fans were firstly willing to accept they are part of the overall problem and then simply make a decision now to stop the negativity and start encouraging the team regardless of what is happening on the pitch. I'd be very interested to see what improvements there would be if we, the fans, introduced a self imposed amnesty and basically cut out the negative reaction to everything that happens on the pitch that is less than 100% in Hibs favour. There is nothing to lose by cutting out the booing, jeering etc and you never know it might just see the team and therefore the fans gain something.

There is a lack of quality in the team and some of the players are less able to handle the criticism than others. Correcting that lack of quality and inner strength costs money, changing the way the fans react costs nothing and while it may not result in us going on long winning streak and reaching / winning cup finals I do believe that it would see a positive return in terms of performance and points gained. As I said nothing to lose in trying it is there?"

I thought this is such a well made point it deserves its own thread.

GGTTH

If you want to boo, show a bit of constraint and shut the f*** up.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Agree 100%

In times like this surely it would be far better to have 6000 fans at the games but who fully get behind the team rather than 8-9000 with negativity raining down from the stands.

And if you're not there to support the team then why bother? Cos you're certainly not there for the quality football

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    And think about the children ;)

Actually im serious if we want to encourage kids to come booing is best left to the Panto

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    What about a unity/amnesty tshirt thats a visible demonstration of this worthy cause?

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    What about a unity/amnesty tshirt thats a visible demonstration of this worthy cause?
    Great idea, or perhaps an armband of particular colour, say yellow or white. That way anyone could just use any rag lying around to show thier solidarity with the cause.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Completely agree, best post I've seen in a while.

If in say a month or so it hasn't caught on, try again. Some fans will never change but the more that do the better we will be.

When we went on a half decent run last season it was when the singing section was at it's best and the majority of the fans were being positive. Co-incidence, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Agree 100%

In times like this surely it would be far better to have 6000 fans at the games but who fully get behind the team rather than 8-9000 with negativity raining down from the stands.

And if you're not there to support the team then why bother? Cos you're certainly not there for the quality football
    I think you'll find that a lot of season ticket holders would happily take a refund now - if Hibs had the guts to offer a partial refund. But having paid out £££ in support of their club and in the expectation that things can only improve, they find themselves having to watch utter dross every second week. IMHO if people had not bought season tickets, you would have your 5000 crowds at many Hibs games.

Petrie and the club need to gear up for 3000 ST holders for next season.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    Great idea, or perhaps an armband of particular colour, say yellow or white. That way anyone could just use any rag lying around to show thier solidarity with the cause.
    Is this a big pee take? I appreciate booing can be detrimental to the players confidence but an armband to show solidarity?? Are you tommy Sheridan?
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Agree 100%

I've never booed Hibs but if I do love when folk say 'why bother going to games' as if money wasn't even an issue to the club. £400 a year minimum from a supporter does more good for the club than that supporter booing could ever harm it.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I've never booed Hibs but if I do love when folk say 'why bother going to games' as if money wasn't even an issue to the club. £400 a year minimum from a supporter does more good for the club than that supporter booing could ever harm it.
    I would love to live in the same world as all these positives people it must be great.

They want you to hand ove ££££ and keep your month shut and just accept whats on offer.

I think Beefster has a fair point here. Nevertheless the OP was assuming we ST's had already paid our £400 in which case we have a choice of:
    • Going to every remaining home game this season and being as close to 100% positive as we can
    • Going to every remaining home game this season and if we can't get behind the team then at least kill the shouting and booing
    • Staying away until the team are performing better or the pain subsides

If we can make supporting Hibs a positive experience again, even in these dark times, we will prove to ourselves that we can show character and spirit. This club is much, much bigger than the current board, manager or squad of players.

What about changing our signatures until the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by hibiedude View Post
    I would love to live in the same world as all these positives people it must be great.

They want you to hand ove ££££ and keep your month shut and just accept whats on offer.
    If the team are rank rotten and havent tried (in my eyes) they get bood,always have, but I have to agree with the main poster, we should be more positive in the coming weeks, get behind the team. My team in The Hague, when they are going through a bad patch, and trust me thats been for years, the support has been fantastic, always behind the team and the club when at the game, outside after a game they will show displeasure with the board and club by demonstrating in LARGE numbers. The club talk to the fans, the fans feel part and parcel of the club and the players, honest to god are treated like heroes even when they lose, as long as they give 100%.
    Im going off track a wee bit, but Hibs have been trying in the last weeks, they just dont have what it takes at the moment,PF has just taken over, lets get behind him,he needs it, the team need it, the club needs it and we need it.
    Wouldnt it be good to have the fans to compliment the stadium, the new stadium is inspiring we the fans could be just as inspiring.You would be surprised what difference a positive atmosphere would have in a great stadium, with an average team.

Quote Originally Posted by hibiedude View Post
    I would love to live in the same world as all these positive people it must be great.

They want you to hand ove ££££ and keep your mouth shut and just accept whats on offer.
    Nah mate you need to see people as they really are. Not positive people - only active supporters.

I have found that the folk who are most fanatical about the team are often the most ardent advocates for change at Hibs. We love our club with a passion. That's why we can support the team on the park while being actively critical of management off it. Go to the forums, talk to the board in BTG, lobby, be heard, support the team, raise their spirits, build their low confidence.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I can't agree with that.

Occasional disquiet can be brushed off, I'm sure, but the constant barrage of abuse we hear at Easter Road it surely self defeating .

Whilst giving the club money does indeed help it, regular booing will harm the confidence and therefore the performance, of the team, regardless of how much we pay them or paid for them .
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    Nah mate you need to see people as they really are. Not positive people - only active supporters.

I have found that the folk who are most fanatical about the team are often the most ardent advocates for change at Hibs. We love our club with a passion. That's why we can support the team on the park while being actively critical of management off it. Go to the forums, talk to the board in BTG, lobby, be heard, support the team, raise their spirits, build their low confidence.
    I love my club but having seen us hit rock bottom over 3-4 seasons fans are now saying enough is enough - we have a new manager let's see what position we find ourselves in the coming months now the transfer window is open.

8000 fans going into a group hug isn't the answer I'm afraid our problems go a lot deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I can't agree with that.

Occasional disquiet can be brushed off, I'm sure, but the constant barrage of abuse we hear at Easter Road it surely self defeating .

Whilst giving the club money does indeed help it, regular booing will harm the confidence and therefore the performance, of the team, regardless of how much we pay them or paid for them .
    Aye right on point, It is like saying here is 400quid so I can come shout abuse at you every other week and boo you, and if I cant abuse you whenever I like I want a refund. In what kind of sick parallel universe does anyone with good intentions think it's okay to boo and abuse anyone who is trying to do their job.

I think you'd be better off spending you 400quid on pantomime tickets if you want to boo, then you can really get it out your system.

The key point is other fans are paying good money too, why should they listen to this negativity?

GGTTH

Will be changing my signature once I figure out how.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I can't agree with that.

I think the abuse is exaggerated, to be honest. You get randoms shouting abuse, yes, but that's not a new phenomenon. Any booing tends to take place either at half-time or full-time and involves a minority of the support (irrespective of how it sounds). Yet, when the team show a bit of drive and desire (e.g. early second half on Monday) the entire support gets behind them.

If it was the choice between 2,000 booing when we play poorly or those 2,000 just not renewing their STs next year, I know what the club would choose.

Incidentally, I'm not disputing that abuse/booing can affect a player but this myth seems to be taking hold that the Hibs support at home games are the worst ever. It's nonsense.

I think the abuse is exaggerated, to be honest. You get randoms shouting abuse, yes, but that's not a new phenomenon. Any booing tends to take place either at half-time or full-time and involves a minority of the support (irrespective of how it sounds). Yet, when the team show a bit of drive and desire (e.g. early second half on Monday) the entire support gets behind them.

If it was the choice between 2,000 booing when we play poorly or those 2,000 just not renewing their STs next year, I know what the club would choose.

The atmosphere and general demeanour at games is usually awful. It's not just the boos, it's the carps, snipes, cat-calls, roars of frustration at times. It's painful.

Incidentally, I'm not disputing that abuse/booing can affect a player but this myth seems to be taking hold that the Hibs support at home games are the worst ever. It's nonsense.
    Might not be the worst ever but as a whole the fans at the moment aren't helping players confidence. It's not nonsense - it's happening.

There's a definite upturn in the number of people who are willing to speak out against the constant barrage of negativity. There's a lot going on at Easter Road that the fans can't do anything about but stopping, or at least reducing, the booing and stream of negativity is something we can tackle.

The boo boys won't like it. They'll say they've paid their money and they'll play the "freedom of speech" card, but it's our club they're ripping to shreds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    The atmosphere and general demeanour at games is usually awful. It's not just the boos, it's the carps, snipes, cat-calls, roars of frustration at times. It's painful.

Might not be the worst ever but as a whole the fans at the moment aren't helping players confidence. It's not nonsense - it's happening.
    I'm not disputing that it's painful at times but folk react in different ways. I sit bored out of my tits, some folk lose the rag.

The myth is nonsense, IMHO. The current support is no better or worse than in previous spells of mediocrity.

Anyway, it's not going to be long before I'm being classed as a boo boy for even suggesting that it's not that bad so I'm stepping out of this now.

The myth is nonsense, IMHO. The current support is no better or worse than in previous spells of mediocrity.
    OK but it didn't help then either. I remember under Blackley we had relegation dogfight and the fans helped win that by getting behind the players after months of grumbling. At the moment we've had years of grumbling.

The main thing is people are seeing for what it is. Something that helps the opposition as well as sapping our own players confidence. I had a mate over from Ireland for the game on Monday and at half time he said he thought the players could have done better but looked to have zero confidence, which isn't hard to spot - players thinking of going for interceptions then hesitating, simple passes being sent late.

Anyway, it's not going to be long before I'm being classed as a boo boy for even suggesting that it's not that bad so I'm stepping out of this now.
    I don't think anyone's saying that, man. It needs to said though and I'm glad it' sbeing discussed.

I've finally given up caring. The place is honking with folk abusing players/each other and if i'm honest i'd rather sit watching soccer sat with a coupon on. I'd like to think i'm a positive person but Hibs just drain me. I want to watch football because i enjoy the sport, i've not seen a good football game at ER for as long as i care to remember. I'll always support Hibs but for me maybe it's my age, or I just have better things in life than to worry about a club that is going know were it's just made me wake up and see that Hibs are wasting my time. By the look of the crowds these days i'm not the only one. End of the day i still think a lot of fans are not going not just because the team is rubbish but are sick of some fans screaming and losing the rag.

[QUOTE=Beefster;30 The myth is nonsense, IMHO. The current support is no better or worse than in previous spells of mediocrity./QUOTE]

We have never had a support that backs the team 100% through thick and thin. Even in the rare good times certain players have been scapegoats and got pelters from a section of fans. Worst concentrated abuse of players was in fact back in the 70s and 80s likes of Benny Brazil , Hammy and Joe T. No player in recent times has gotten anything like that.

The atmosphere certainly in the East for the derby was very positive at least round me and we were still absolute p@sh. Atmosphere in ground at final home game of the old East terracing was incredible .... and we were absolute p@sh that day. Dont condone booing but dont believe any amount of positive standite vibes is gonna turn donkeys into thoroughbreeds. As for solidarity armbands

[QUOTE=Brizo;3063211]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster;30 The myth is nonsense, IMHO. The current support is no better or worse than in previous spells of mediocrity./QUOTE

We have never had a support that backs the team 100% through thick and thin. Even in the rare good times certain players have been scapegoats and got pelters from a section of fans. Worst concentrated abuse of players was in fact back in the 70s and 80s likes of Benny Brazil , Hammy and Joe T. No player in recent times has gotten anything like that.

The atmosphere certainly in the East for the derby was very positive at least round me and we were still absolute p@sh. Atmosphere in ground at final home game of the old East terracing was incredible .... and we were absolute p@sh that day. Dont condone booing but dont believe any amount of positive standite vibes is gonna turn donkeys into thoroughbreeds. As for solidarity armbands
    It's all the fans fault. If more fans turned up we'd be able to afford better players.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I don't boo the players but they day we decide what our emotions are going to be before a ball is kicked the games a bogie for me, if someone's pish too right ill get annoyed and although I won't boo I certainly won't get all excited singing pish songs encouraging the pish player.

Maybe in an ideal world that's what a textbook fan should do, however, in a game full of emotion that's just not how it works.

The players just need to get better and all the cheerleading on the world is no going to influence that I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I don't boo the players but they day we decide what our emotions are going to be before a ball is kicked the games a bogie for me, if someone's pish too right ill get annoyed and although I won't boo I certainly won't get all excited singing pish songs encouraging the pish player.

Maybe in an ideal world that's what a textbook fan should do, however, in a game full of emotion that's just not how it works.

The players just need to get better and all the cheerleading on the world is no going to influence that I'm afraid.

But surely that's enough. If you don't feel like "singing pish songs and encouraging pish players", then that's your right. It's the negativity coming from the stands that is the main thing that (some) people want to put an end to. No matter what people say, I'm convinced it affects players.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

the players we have are simply not good enough so all this talk about abuse and group hugs ain't going to change that.

I read a few weeks ago about some players in England who love the fans getting on their backs because it helps to motivate them when their getting abuse.

Some say our players have zero confidence I think it's more like zero quality to be honest.

I have confidence Pat Fenlon will change things for the better because that's the only way to stop fans giving abuse.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Never have I read such drivel, FFS words fail me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    [QUOTE=Brizo;3063211]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster;30 The myth is nonsense, IMHO. The current support is no better or worse than in previous spells of mediocrity./QUOTE

Are you being serious? Colin nish?

Fair enough at the end of jibs career it was deserved, but that was because he'd had all his confidence drained by a support never willing tom give him a chance