hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Any roofers on here?

Like loads of folk today, I woke to find a number of ridge tiles blown off my roof.

I'm covered by my insurance, but I have a £200 excess.

How much does it usually cost to replace ridge tiles on a 2 storey house?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Depends how accessible the roof I reckon and the mood of the roofer. We had to have guttering work done recently and received three wildly different quotes.

Corstorphine Roofing do a good job. Forget Buckstone Roofing who quote way over the odds and are also sponsors of Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends how accessible the roof I reckon and the mood of the roofer. We had to have guttering work done recently and received three wildly different quotes.

Corstorphine Roofing do a good job. Forget Buckstone Roofing who quote way over the odds and are also sponsors of Hearts.
    From first hand experience they are a bunch of cowboys, avoid, avoid and avoid some more!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vein View Post
    From first hand experience they are a bunch of cowboys, avoid, avoid and avoid some more!
    Good fit there then

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    What area of Edinburgh are you in HR?

I couldnt recommend http://www.babertonbuildingservices.co.uk/services.html any more highly.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

Just done my Dads chimney. My nephew works for them too.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Like loads of folk today, I woke to find a number of ridge tiles blown off my roof.

I'm covered by my insurance, but I have a £200 excess.

How much does it usually cost to replace ridge tiles on a 2 storey house?
    Depending on how many ridge tiles you had taken off, I'd guess you'd be doing well to get a quote under £500+vat in the current climate from a reputable bona fide roofing contractor, current climate ie massive over demand.

You could probably half that if you don't go for a reputable contractor - id suggest NFRC as a standard of a reputable contractor, other trade associations don't have strict criteria on standards. But I'd be wary of letting someone loose on your ridge tiles as I've seen some real horror shows in the last fortnight with cowboy roofers putting on wet and dry fix ridges with little understanding of the workmanship required to carry out installation to a satisfactory standard.
    Last edited by Purple & Green; 04-01-2012 at 06:18 PM.

First Team Breakthrough Number69's Avatar
    Dont pay the insurance company to do it, a couple of reasons why:

They may deem your roof tiles came off due to neglect, ie, not having it pointed properly or that they were already loose.

They may only be £200 excess but whats the guarantee they'll make a decent job of it anyway?

Find a registered tradesman who has been recommended to you by someone who has used them before, the trade is full of gypo's who will rip you off as soon as look at you.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Insurance company sent a firm out and it was done under my home emergency policy.

No excess applies!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!