hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Refs decision/McGowan Headbutt

Now dont get me wrong.I dont think we should have won today.There was no lack of effort and I thought there were some decent performances especially at the back but we have an obvious lack of creativity in midfield especially with Osbourne missing.The thing that got me was why the hearts player wasnt sent off for butting Ivan in the stomach.If he had butted Ivan in the head it would have been a straight red,no questions asked.So why no red because he did it lower?It obviously had a huge impact on the game as he scored their 1st goal.Maybe the linesman or ref never seen it which is fair enough but this decision did have a major impact on the game..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    was never a red. McGowan should have got a yellow, for being stupid, but it wasnt violent conduct. The impact of Sproules theatrical dive to the ground would have had more force in it.

The biggest problem was him not giving a penalty for Websters push on O'Hanlon, Webster would have been off and we could have been leading 2-1. This and the penalty given to Aberdeen when it was proved a dive has cost us crucial points. There are 2 genuine instances where tv should be used in matches. This will put supporters off big time when they know the game is not fair. It is too big business now to ignore technology.

Webster pulled back Griffiths in the box as well. It should have been a penalty.

I think that it was a technical sending off, in that it is the intent by the player rather than the force of the head butt that is punishable. That said, Sproule embarrased himself by flopping to the ground, especially when it became clear that the officials had missed the contact.

On the other big decisions

1 - Never a penalty when Griffiths went down. If that had been given against us we'd be spitting blood.

2 - Their penalty was fair enough, but I just wish Stack had come out faster and with more force. He'd either have got there first (no penalty) or at least done some damage. Still Booth's fault for the passback though.

3 - How did the officials miss the blatant offside for their opener? I was screaming at the TV for it in real time and yet even the commentators took several minutes to spot that Stack reacted late because Elliot had unsighted him.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that it was a technical sending off, in that it is the intent by the player rather than the force of the head butt that is punishable. That said, Sproule embarrased himself by flopping to the ground, especially when it became clear that the officials had missed the contact.

1 - Never a penalty when Griffiths went down. If that had been given against us we'd be spitting blood.

2 - Their penalty was fair enough, but I just wish Stack had come out faster and with more force. He'd either have got there first (no penalty) or at least done some damage. Still Booth's fault for the passback though.

3 - How did the officials miss the blatant offside for their opener? I was screaming at the TV for it in real time and yet even the commentators took several minutes to spot that Stack reacted late because Elliot had unsighted him.
    2. Stack should have used his left and gone through him, but he saved it so no harm done.

3. I think they all just assumed there was someone on the post, I think we only had 5 or 6 players in the box for the corner though so there was no contingency when Hanlon totally lost Mcgowan.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In-line technology needs to be incorporated now. It is used in Rugby and does not take away from the game nor the atmosphere. It is great when issues occur that are decided by TV and fans get to see them back on the big screens - no probs and no wrong calls!

The Ref used to have a hearts season ticket when he was younger so it's to be expected!! Mental that he gets to take charge of the derby.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    You can throw in the fact Hearts' first goal was offside as well. Poor decisions that are further salt in the wound. Sproule was butted in the chest, pure and simple, and a red card offence. How much Ivan over egged it is irrelevant.
    That said, our problems run a lot deeper than complaining about inept refereeing. When you are down at the bottom of the league, these things always seem to go against you.

First Team Breakthrough I Love Lamp's Avatar
    Pretty sure he's publicly admitted being a Hearts supporter so it's no surprise that the key decisions went against Hibs. It's ridiculous but that's the way things work in Scotland. Just have to rise above it but, sadly, Hibs looked incapable of that today.

Agree with most of this although Im not sure Stack expected Booth to give him the ball in such a ridiculous scenario.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Griffiths had his shirt pulled for about 4 seconds and clearly impeded. Penalty, and should have been an easy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mentalhibee View Post
    The Ref used to have a hearts season ticket when he was younger so it's to be expected!! Mental that he gets to take charge of the derby.
    I had read that on here previous and was worried when I seen he was reffing.Think it was more down to the incompetence or tough jobthey have rather than any bias though.Still agree its not a good idea to have him in charge of an Edinburgh derby though.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i honestly believe that it works the opposite way, a professional referee would be pretty conscious of the fact he has to be seen as not being bias against a team he follows, unfortunately, callum murray's performance today has me doubting my initial beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    was never a red. McGowan should have got a yellow, for being stupid, but it wasnt violent conduct. The impact of Sproules theatrical dive to the ground would have had more force in it.
    You don't think it was violent conduct - head butting a player in retaliation? Straight red for me!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Head butt on Sproule, Zinedan Zedane effort, so should have been off.

Elliot offside at first goal. And interfering with play.

2 major decisions the ref got wrong today. IMHO
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitlochry hibee View Post

Left by mutual consent!
    Ref was a h****s ****

Neil Mccanns quote on the analysis had me in stitches "There no aggression from Macgowan". Aye cos people regularly ram the nut on people in a non aggressive fashion. Utter breast of a man

@hibs.net private member

And a third with Webster's blatant push on O'Hanlon in the box.

Foul throw for the second goal as well, mcgowans foot was half a yard on the pitch

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

As he wasn't booked for the incident I hope the SFA compliance have another look at it

Gamer IDs

Aye just like the Zidane head butt.

Headbutt

Was I imagining things or did Ryan Mcgowan(?) headbutt Sproule infront of the referee and linesman then get away with it?

Sproule seemed to make the most of it (confirmed by a mate watching the game on telly) but to me McGowan definitely made contact with his head in Sproule's chest so must surely be a red card for violent conduct. Hearts even got the free kick because of the initial foul by Sproule.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Aye just like the Zidane head butt.
    He made contact, even if there was nae contact (which players have been sent off for) but intent, it was retaliation and should have been a red IMO, from the scvumbo ref though it didnae even merit a booking or even a talking tae which is ridiculous. Quite happy tae book Hibs players at almost every opportunity that presented itself.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Lets not clutch at straws. If I was Ivan I would not only be embarrassed by my inept performance but by my pathetic attempt to get someone sent off. It probably merited a yellow but I think the ref actually called it right, too many times players get sent off for things like that, it really was a nothing that Ivan tried to make a something.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Sproule seemed to make the most of it (confirmed by a mate watching the game on telly) but to me McGowan definitely made contact with his head in Sproule's chest so must surely be a red card for violent conduct. Hearts even got the free kick because of the initial foul by Sproule.
    Why shouldnt they have got the freekick for the initial foul?

Seriously, if there's violent conduct then I do agree there should be a red card but that wee head push thing from McGowan was little more than nothing. My granny would have laughed that off, not fell on the ground a rolled about in agony, as Sproule did.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Lets not clutch at straws. If I was Ivan I would not only be embarrassed by my inept performance but by my pathetic attempt to get someone sent off. It probably merited a yellow but I think the ref actually called it right, too many times players get sent off for things like that, it really was a nothing that Ivan tried to make a something.
    Ivan should be concentrating on making some basic runs into space and putting in some simple crosses rather than committing stupid, obvious fouls and trying to get people sent off. He's been a massive disappointment.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I think Ivan was very lucky not to be booked for his challenge prior to the headbutt. He then made the most of the headbutt and the ref seemed to just let both things slide.