hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar

Signs of improvement

I didn't see the 1st half today as only got the stream working for the 2nd half. I didn't see the 45 minutes against Motherwell either.

I did watch the Rangers and Aberdeen games.

I've read over the last few weeks that there has been obvious signs of improvement, I personally on what I have seen cannot subscribe to that opinion.

Am I missing something, ARE there some signs? A glimmer? Anything?
    Last edited by BoltonHibee; 24-12-2011 at 04:02 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't see the 1st half today as only got the stream working for the 2nd half. I didn't see the 45 minutes against Motherwell either.

I've read over the last few weeks that there has been obvious signs of improvement, I personally on what I have seen cannot subscribe to that opinion.

Am I missing something, IS there some signs? A glimmer? Anything?
    There is a glimmer at the end of the tunnel mate but its a shame that the end of the tunnel is miles away at the moment...

Am I missing something, IS there some signs? A glimmer? Anything?
    Very Very Little signs of improvement the players are Guttless

There are even some who will tell you we should have got behind CC more, as Fenlon's not made any difference whatsoever.

No, really.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    Very Very Little signs of improvement the players are Guttless
    It doesn't help when you have Hart , Galbraith , Sproule and Stack all playing in the same team at the same time. You are effectively playing with 7 players when this lot are on the pitch at the same time...

Thought we were very comfortable in first half and could have had a bigger lead at the break. Totally different second & well beaten.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    There are even some who will tell you we should have got behind CC more, as Fenlon's not made any difference whatsoever.

No, really.
    Who has said that?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We are being set up slightly better than under calderclown, but he still has the same sheite players and still persists with one up front like the last numpty.

Quote Originally Posted by PISTOL1875 View Post
    It doesn't help when you have Hart , Galbraith , Sproule and Stack all playing in the same team at the same time. You are effectively playing with 7 players when this lot are on the pitch at the same time...
    Sadly this is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Thought we were very comfortable in first half and could have had a bigger lead at the break. Totally different second & well beaten.
    Was that the same at Motherwell? ( obviously we did not play the 2nd half, I mean the 1st half)

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Who has said that?
    Have a wild stab in the dark Matty.... (er not you, Chief)...

A step on the right direction would be the manager recognising that the players we have are not good enough and to bring in replacement of a higher standard.
    He then needs to get them fit (training twice a day as they do in England would be a start) and hungry for success.
    Anything short of all this is a waste of time and I won't be wasting any of mine going along to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We are being set up slightly better than under calderclown, but he still has the same sheite players and still persists with one up front like the last numpty.
    I would disagree with that G. For the 2.5 games I've seen anyway.

He needs an out and out 4 4 2, to have any hope with that shower available to him. With Hart nowhere near the ****ing stadium, let alone the pitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Both these points are spot on. The save that their keeper had from Griffiths header was the turning point.

But the sad fact is you couldn't fault anyone today for lack of effort, even when United had us under the cosh. They're just not very good.

The best sign of improvement is the fact the transfer window opens soon - get the current load o' keek out and replace them with 4 or five experienced quality players to supplement the likes of Booth, Caldwell and the best of the reserves, - cannae dae any worse than the lazy, usless lot we have masquarading as players just now.

So we have so far....

1. Better set up
    2. Work harder

I can see point 2 to a certain extent i guess, although as has already been pointed out with this shower of ***** it means very little....

Can we play 442? Does he actually have the players that would ensure we don't have the weakest midfield in the league by an utter mile? Do we have the wide men to make that work? Would the defence cope without an extra man in front?

451 in its defensive form is pretty crap obviously, but you wouldn't think Fenlon is a negative manager or has those intentions in the long run. He's looked at the dross he's got, he sees that as the best way to go until he can bring his own in. We could have played Sodje and Griffiths up front today, and be quite easily sitting here complaining that the midfield were overrun and neither striker had a kick of a ball all afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Can we play 442? Does he actually have the players that would ensure we don't have the weakest midfield in the league by an utter mile? Do we have the wide men to make that work? Would the defence cope without an extra man in front?

451 in its defensive form is pretty crap obviously, but you wouldn't think Fenlon is a negative manager or has those intentions in the long run. He's looked at the dross he's got, he sees that as the best way to go until he can bring his own in. We could have played Sodje and Griffiths up front today, and be quite easily sitting here complaining that the midfield were overrun and neither striker had a kick of a ball all afternoon.
    We have lost 6 goals in 3 games and scored one, whatever PF is thinking, his formation and his tactics are certainly not working with this side

You are being very kind only mentioning four players, many more than those guys aren`t up to it IMO. I could make a case defending Sproule and Stack, although I accept they`ve not been great recently.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feed McGraw View Post
    You are being very kind only mentioning four players, many more than those guys aren`t up to it IMO. I could make a case defending Sproule and Stack, although I accept they`ve not been great recently.
    I would to hear how you can defend Sproule.. The guy tries his best and runs about a bit but is effectively rubbish.. I said it before and I will say it again , if he couldn't so fast then he would be nowhere any football team..

Stack, well when was the last time you had a goalkeeper who was scared to come off his line????.. Granted he is a good shot-stopper and has made vital saves in the past but how many goals have we lost with him being in goals that could've been avoided if he had ventured from his line ??

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post

I would imagine he is playing 451 (although its more of a 4231) to try and make us tougher to beat. Going 442 is fine but we are so weak in midfield that most teams can overpower us and ultimately we lose games. Thought we were alright first half, nothing special but we scored and they only really got 1 or 2 chances. Second half United looked very up for the fight and we couldnt handle them, the players looked knackered and just couldnt compete. Fitness is a real issue and its costing us, Stevenson and Wotherspoon especially were been brushed aside easily and couldnt keep up with Uniteds midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    I would imagine he is playing 451 (although its more of a 4231) to try and make us tougher to beat. Going 442 is fine but we are so weak in midfield that most teams can overpower us and ultimately we lose games. Thought we were alright first half, nothing special but we scored and they only really got 1 or 2 chances. Second half United looked very up for the fight and we couldnt handle them, the players looked knackered and just couldnt compete. Fitness is a real issue and its costing us, Stevenson and Wotherspoon especially were been brushed aside easily and couldnt keep up with Uniteds midfielders.

It's a 4-2-3-1 he is playing when we attack and 4-5-1 when we are defending to give us more protection. No co-incidence as the game went on the team shape was stretched and we were exposed with basic goals - fitness ? Mentality - lack of focus?

If we were giving up 30 yard shots in the top corner it may be easier to take but it's defending a Sunday league team would be annoyed with.

Positive today - LG looked better up front than out wide

Still worrying....

Stack - doesn't command 6 yard box and adds extra pressure to the back 4

Hart - not good enough - would rather have DVZ or Thicot or even Towell at RB

O'Hanlon - poor mans Rob Jones - not comfortable on the ball

Hanlon - not too sure what he offers - not much going forward - think we were spoilt with Murphy.

Stevenson / Wotherspoon - I actually think these two have done better in the last few games - We do miss Osbourne though.

Palsson - needs motivation

Sproule - I like the guy but like Galbraith rarely beats a man to make a cross - which is the main job of a wide player to offer help to the front players with shots on goal etc.

Confidence is rock bottom and Fenlon has to really work hard to make these players better.

I would to hear how you can defend Sproule.. The guy tries his best and runs about a bit but is effectively rubbish.. I said it before and I will say it again , if he couldn't so fast then he would be nowhere any football team..

Stack, well when was the last time you had a goalkeeper who was scared to come off his line????.. Granted he is a good shot-stopper and has made vital saves in the past but how many goals have we lost with him being in goals that could've been avoided if he had ventured from his line ??
    I admit it`s probably me being a bit emotional about Sproule as I really thought the world of him first time round. Stack ? Well, what I will say, he`s a lot better than some of the circus acts we`ve had before him, but yeah, I wish he`d come off that line.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hibee View Post

It's a 4-2-3-1 he is playing when we attack and 4-5-1 when we are defending to give us more protection. No co-incidence as the game went on the team shape was stretched and we were exposed with basic goals - fitness ? Mentality - lack of focus?

If we were giving up 30 yard shots in the top corner it may be easier to take but it's defending a Sunday league team would be annoyed with.

Positive today - LG looked better up front than out wide

Still worrying....

Stack - doesn't command 6 yard box and adds extra pressure to the back 4

Hart - not good enough - would rather have DVZ or Thicot or even Towell at RB

O'Hanlon - poor mans Rob Jones - not comfortable on the ball

Hanlon - not too sure what he offers - not much going forward - think we were spoilt with Murphy.

Stevenson / Wotherspoon - I actually think these two have done better in the last few games - We do miss Osbourne though.

Palsson - needs motivation

Sproule - I like the guy but like Galbraith rarely beats a man to make a cross - which is the main job of a wide player to offer help to the front players with shots on goal etc.

Confidence is rock bottom and Fenlon has to really work hard to make these players better.

Thats good you like him so lets keep him in the team. Today was imho his worst performance in a Hibs jersey, he brings nothing to the table, even his so called speed does nothing for the game there are many defenders just as fast as him.

Quote Originally Posted by IFONLY View Post
    Thats good you like him so lets keep him in the team. Today was imho his worst performance in a Hibs jersey, he brings nothing to the table, even his so called speed does nothing for the game there are many defenders just as fast as him.
    Sorry should have read that again - I think he is a top guy off the pitch and cares about Hibs but I agree his ability to be consistent and help us right now needs to be questioned.

I think sadly he has lost his speed - something which got us off our seats in previous years

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Am I missing something, ARE there some signs? A glimmer? Anything?
    Just pray that that glimmer at the end of the tunnel is not a train.

@hibs.net private member
    I think there have been signs of improvement, the fact we never leaked goals against Aberdeen, Rangers and the first half against Motherwell show that. Where we are falling down is mental strength amongst a lot of the players isnt there. IMO, the most important thing we are missing on the pitch is a leader, someone that is respected by all the players. At the moment we cant dictate play, we get frantic as the fans get frantic, we pick the wrong passes when the game is at a critical stage, ie, start of the second half when we have a small lead or just after we have scored. A leader can take the pace out the game with a few well timed passes to keep the ball. They will also try and speak to the rest of the players to calm them. I look at the squad we have and dont see anyone that fits that role. Ian Murray is a senior player and is probably well respected but he is probably one of the worst at getting caught up in the game and playing at a frantic pace.

Hibs havent controlled a game in a long time, we have been the better side at times but we have never looked like controlling the game. I think an experienced midfielder with a bit of pedigree and a decent centre back could make a big difference to the team.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Sproule had a nightmare today, just looks shot of any confidence. Neilson is a decent defender but never the quickest, and even though Sproule has lost a bit of pace, he should have been ripping him to pieces. When he got on the ball he didnt do that much though, doesnt seem like he wants to take a man on for pace which is what his game has mostly been about.

His head seemed to drop quite quickly as well when we collapsed. As captain he should be rallying them but just didnt seem to work. Probably not the best choice of captain tbh, when hes got no confidence how are the rest of the team meant to respond..

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    Sproule had a nightmare today, just looks shot of any confidence. Neilson is a decent defender but never the quickest, and even though Sproule has lost a bit of pace, he should have been ripping him to pieces. When he got on the ball he didnt do that much though, doesnt seem like he wants to take a man on for pace which is what his game has mostly been about.

His head seemed to drop quite quickly as well when we collapsed. As captain he should be rallying them but just didnt seem to work. Probably not the best choice of captain tbh, when hes got no confidence how are the rest of the team meant to respond..
    Just shows you how we are lacking leaders that Sproule was made captain.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Sproule is not quick anymore, and with the ball he's even slower. His legs look like they belong to someone else whe he is in possesion of a ball.