hibs.net Messageboard

Sir Tom Farmer Stand........

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.. but my reliable friend has just informed me that the board were considering putting a proposal to the hibs supporters to change the name of the west stand to the - sir tom farmer stand..

Does this mean the guy now wants oot or just some recognition for saving hibs from going the same way as hearts ????

or maybe he is planning to build a brand new stand with hotels and clubs and hooses built in ???

altho - as much as the guy is slated now and again - his money did save hibs !!!

anyone else heard anything..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not heard anything but I would be all for that.

I wouldn't read anything into the board wanting to put the proposal forward.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be surprised if STF wanted that kind of recogntion but certainly all for it personally. I think SRF and his family history are so deeply engrained in the club it would be the right thing to consider

It's the very least the man deserves! And he is far from egotistical - he was given an award for his philanthropy a few years ago at the Scottish Parliament and he admitted afterwards that he was ready to run away before the ceremony due to nerves!

@hibs.net private member
    Im in favour. He saved hibs so deserves to recognised for that.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be surprised if STF wanted that kind of recogntion but certainly all for it personally. I think SRF and his family history are so deeply engrained in the club it would be the right thing to consider
    Agree 100%

The board recognize what STF done for Hibs. Would be a fitting tribute to Tom & Philip Farmer to perhaps call it the Farmer Stand? Oooo arrrr....!

People openly slate STF on here for being tight with the purse strings but at the end of the day no one could say he has ever done badly by Hibs. Only plus points as far as I am concerned. I think this fact is rammed home when you have a glance over at our city rivals current position and well being. They do not have a STF or he would have came forward as the alternative to Vlad 6 yrs ago. Tough titty eh.

Kudos STF, thanks for stepping in and putting Hibs back on an even Keel. You are in the Hibs history books to come as a legend for that, of this there can be no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.. but my reliable friend has just informed me that the board were considering putting a proposal to the hibs supporters to change the name of the west stand to the - sir tom farmer stand..

Does this mean the guy now wants oot or just some recognition for saving hibs from going the same way as hearts ????

or maybe he is planning to build a brand new stand with hotels and clubs and hooses built in ???

altho - as much as the guy is slated now and again - his money did save hibs !!!

anyone else heard anything..
    maybe just wants his hands on the auld church next door. to turn it intae a tyre and exhaust centre he does deserve recognition though, and I would not be against that.

It would be a fitting tribute to the man.

The statue will have to follow after he has passed away - his modesty would make this a non-starter while he's still alive.

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Would be a great gesture and tribute to Sir Tom. All for it

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    The fact that Hibs Net exists today and we're able to discuss the issue is testament to the contribution Sir Tom made in saving Hibernian FC.

I for one will be eternally grateful and naming the West Stand after him would be a fitting tribute.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    The fact that Hibs Net exists today and we're able to discuss the issue is testament to the contribution Sir Tom made in saving Hibernian FC.

I for one will be eternally grateful and naming the West Stand after him would be a fitting tribute.

Could not have put it better myself !!

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    I would fully support this.

If it had not been for STF 20 years ago the club would not be where we are today.

On the park we are rank rotten but if it had not been for STF and his continued support I seriously doubt we would have the stadium, training centre and general infrastructure in place.

Fully support this.

He saved us from extinction. He can have the stadium named after him if he wants!

In favour.

Do we still officially call the Famous Five Stand that though?

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Do we still officially call the Famous Five Stand that though?
    Yes we do, I can't say I've ever heard it being referred to as the North Stand.

Club is in turmoil and we're staring relegation in the face....tell you what let's name a stand after Farmer. That'll fix everything.....give me strength

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Pans Hibby View Post
    Club is in turmoil and we're staring relegation in the face....tell you what let's name a stand after Farmer. That'll fix everything.....give me strength
    Hey' this is a happy thread, .... off

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    Hey' this is a happy thread, .... off
    And merry christmas to you too Fife!

'S' Form
    Personally Id prefer to see a Turnbulls Tornadoes stand first, personally, just personally mind i think stand names should be kept for players/teams.

Left by mutual consent! Skanko79's Avatar
    They can call it what they want it will probably be shut next season to cut costs when we are in the 1st division.

Quote Originally Posted by Skanko79 View Post
    They can call it what they want it will probably be shut next season to cut costs when we are in the 1st division.
    Unfortunately, [and I say this with heavy heart], I think you may well be correct.