hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goalie

Goalie

JC said on ESPN that Stacky should have come for the corner.If he had we would not have lost the second goal.
    Anything in the 6 yard box has to be claimed or punched at least.

I think thats right.

I am not looking for scapegoats but am surprised I cannot see any comment on this on here..

2. Log in to remove the advert

imo hes hopeless coming for crosses well actually he never seemes to want to come out and at all

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It's been debated on a few threads already.

IMO Mark Brown is a better all round keeper in any case and he is well overdue a regular place. And for what its worth the stuff about his distribution being poor is an urban myth.

I wouldnt blame Stack,there is only one man to blame for both goals and thats Hart. Lost Jelavic at the corner and gave him a free header

Testimonial Due
    As has been said above, this is a pretty well debated point. I have lost count of how many goals we have lost this season from failing to properly defend a cross from the left into the 6 yard box towards the back post that a keeper could have and should have claimed. Dont get me wrong there have been a few instances from the right at well.

I dont think he could have come for the ball for the 2nd on Sat unless he was given a shout that the defender has lost his man, but I have not seen a reply of the goal. I guess the flip side of it is that Maka used to come for everything and would try and catch instead of punching which led the inevitable spill in to opposition players feet!

I would have given brown a go a few weeks ago now. I thought he did really, really well against Motherwell in the cup and his main area of weakness (his kicking) seemed to be much improved.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JC said on ESPN that Stacky should have come for the corner.If he had we would not have lost the second goal.
    Anything in the 6 yard box has to be claimed or punched at least.

I think thats right.

I am not looking for scapegoats but am surprised I cannot see any comment on this on here..
    I don't think the ball was in the 6 yard box until it landed at the unmarked SPL top scorer?

Anyone who thinks that - at that pace and trajectory - that cross was Stack's responsibility knows next to nothing about being a goalie.

IMO

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Made this point on the pm board. In my opinion stack does no different to any other spl keeper in these situations the issue is our defence don't do their jobs, losing men ,leaving them with no pressure to head the ball. I have no idea who we think travels to the back post 6 yards out to catch a ball

The ball was never outside the 6 yard box, Stack should have been out to claim or punch, in addition Jelavic is fairly decent in the air, why was he not marked by a Centre Half or Ozzy rather than a full back who must be at least 3 inches shorter than him.

The problem is no defenders attacking the ball. It's all very well marking forwards but you need to get to the ball before them. Not one Hibs player looked for the ball coming in from the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    The problem is no defenders attacking the ball. It's all very well marking forwards but you need to get to the ball before them. Not one Hibs player looked for the ball coming in from the corner.
    Hart's got his back to the thing!

I like Stack .. but he is glued to his line too often IMO.

Agree with JC. 6 yard box is the goalkeepers area. Thought at the the time Stack was a bit static.

Should have defended far better.

F m

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Anyone who thinks that - at that pace and trajectory - that cross was Stack's responsibility knows next to nothing about being a goalie.

IMO
    I must know nothing about being a keeper then, which is worrying as i am!!

Stack should and could have come for it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    The ball was never outside the 6 yard box, Stack should have been out to claim or punch, in addition Jelavic is fairly decent in the air, why was he not marked by a Centre Half or Ozzy rather than a full back who must be at least 3 inches shorter than him.
    It only made it into the 6 yard box when it landed – at all other times it was outside. I’m not sure when Stack could’ve come and claimed it to be honest.

Mark Brown leaves his line less often than Stacky, so coming for crosses won't be a problem that will be solved by switching the current keepers. We had a dominant keeper who always came for crosses, and he was roundly hounded out, so we can't have the best of both worlds. If you know your keeper doesn't come off the line at all, then defenders know it's their responsibility. The confusion with Stack is that he sometimes comes, other times not. The goal Stokes scored earlier in the season was a delivery to around the same spot, yet he came. The Jelavic one he never even edged towards the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by pentlando View Post
    Mark Brown leaves his line less often than Stacky, so coming for crosses won't be a problem that will be solved by switching the current keepers. We had a dominant keeper who always came for crosses, and he was roundly hounded out, so we can't have the best of both worlds. If you know your keeper doesn't come off the line at all, then defenders know it's their responsibility. The confusion with Stack is that he sometimes comes, other times not. The goal Stokes scored earlier in the season was a delivery to around the same spot, yet he came. The Jelavic one he never even edged towards the ball.
    Who was that then??

You describe this mystery goales as "dominant", so god knows you can't be referring to Makalamby..........

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I must know nothing about being a keeper then, which is worrying as i am!!

Stack should and could have come for it.
    Not saying he definitely couldn't have come for it, tho he'd have to have been a right twinkle toes to get to it, but more that that ball wasn't his responsibility.

That ball wasn't some world class undefendable nightmare cross - it was a decent-ish delivery into a good area, but one that any half competent defence would have defended, as opposed to ball watching and man-marking Osborne (your own team-mate) as opposed to Jelavic (SPL top scorer who plays for the opposition) as Grandad Hart did.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pentlando View Post
    I knew when I saw the thread title that it would only be a matter of time before the great man was brought into the debate.

Maka.

Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    I knew when I saw the thread title that it would only be a matter of time before the great man was brought into the debate.

Maka.
    Who's bench is he warming these days?

Who was that then??

You describe this mystery goales as "dominant", so god knows you can't be referring to Makalamby..........
    Naw, Jim Leighton . Didn't want to drag him up into it so left the name absent, but the fact he's the first one you thought of shows he must have had some of what i was referring to. I'm not a goalie, never was. But isn't the golden rule that, if you're not going to come for all crosses, you have to do so when the ball crosses your 6 yard line. Even if he hadn't quite got to Jelavic, seeing the keeper only a yard away from you is going to prevent most players connecting perfectly, which unfortunately he did.

One thing for sure, if you let a cross be met by a inrushing forward 6 yards out, you are going to concede. So once again this season someone is not doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    Who's bench is he warming these days?
    Picking up the splinters for KV Mechelen in Belgium.

Misunderstood genius; a young goalie who should have been given more time.

Most natural ability of any Hibs goalkeeper since Leighton - sadly let down by lapses in concentration and a Hibs support that had been battered into submission by messrs Malkowski and Brown.

Picking up the splinters for KV Mechelen in Belgium.

Misunderstood genius; a young goalie who should have been given more time.

Most natural ability of any Hibs goalkeeper since Leighton - sadly let down by lapses in concentration and a Hibs support that had been battered into submission by messrs Malkowski and Brown.
    Can't tell if this is serious or not....................

Can't tell if this is serious or not....................
    Let's not go here again.

Let's not go here again.
    Suits me - life's too short etc, and he wasn't in the same class of rankitude as Brown or Zibi, that much we can (surely to god) all agree on

Bring back Daniel Anderson, why was he let go? I know he went to Helsinborg when Larsson was there, did he want to leave? he was the best Keeper I've seen us play in recent memory, although he didn't have much competition for that status!

Who was the keeper who gave up Basketball to play football, Ollie Gotskallson or summin? Christ we have had some awful keepers since I started watching Hibs, Leighton was the first/best for me, then all downhill!

Fenlon's first call in January... Daniel Andreson.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Bring back Daniel Anderson, why was he let go? I know he went to Helsinborg when Larsson was there, did he want to leave? he was the best Keeper I've seen us play in recent memory, although he didn't have much competition for that status!

Who was the keeper who gave up Basketball to play football, Ollie Gotskallson or summin? Christ we have had some awful keepers since I started watching Hibs, Leighton was the first/best for me, then all downhill!
    Anderson's heroics at Hampden against Rangers in that penalty shoot out will go with me to my grave, however my other memory of him is when he went to pick the ball up at Larsson's feet, only to pull his hands away and watch Henrik stick it in the net.

I loved big Ollie. Mind he saved a cracker of a penalty, against Celtic iirc, where he dived one way and the ball was dinked down the middle, only for him to flick his leg out and turn it onto the bar

Quote Originally Posted by LeithBoozy View Post
    One thing for sure, if you let a cross be met by a inrushing forward 6 yards out, you are going to concede. So once again this season someone is not doing their job.
    Too true.
    Its easier for a good goalie to see all that coming rather than a defender jostling under a curling ball.

Main point is that once its that close to the goals the goalie MUST take charge.
    Stacky is big enough to impose himself but didn't react quickly enough.