hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

(Hopefully NHC) Homophobic Chanting

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look forward to the majority of the Hearts support being charged with that at the Derby then...

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    it wasn't me! ha ha

i was at the Pompey v Brighton game in at the start of the season, loads of banter with the Brighton fans with gay jokes! What aloud of nonsence getting charged for signing songs, it's just banter!

First Team Breakthrough persevere1875's Avatar
    Paul Hartley's still Gay though , Isnt he ??

First Team Breakthrough MCameron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthamptonHibs View Post
    What a load of nonsence getting charged for signing songs, it's just banter!
    Do you think this guy in the EEN article from last week (below) sees it as banter?

It's the same as bigotry, racism and all other forms of intolerance. The youngsters hear this **** being sung and it breeds hatred.

A man was left with a broken jaw after a suspected homophobic attack in Edinburgh on Saturday night.
    The 24-year-old was walking with friends on Waverley Bridge when they were confronted by three men who shouted abuse at them.
    One of them punched the victim, knocking him to the ground, before running off towards Princes Street.
    Police described it as a "cowardly and vicious" assault, and urged witnesses to contact them.
    A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "Anyone who was in or around Waverley Bridge about midnight this morning and saw anything suspicious, or who can help identify the suspects, is asked to contact police immediately.
    "Lothian and Borders Police will not tolerate hate crime in any form and will robustly deal with anyone found to be responsible."
    One of the suspects was described as black, in his early 20s, 5ft 6ins and of medium build. He was wearing a black hooded top, black and yellow scarf and black trousers.
    The second man was white, tall, about 21 and slim. He had dark blond hair and was wearing a red top.
    A third man was described as white, aged 20 to 25, about 5ft 7ins, of average build and wearing a dark hooded top.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HOUSEkid
    Good. Football has come a long way to stamp out racist chanting, now it is time for to get rid of homophobic chanting.

Completely impossible to give a judgement without knowing exactly what was said.

Giving a view on a particular issue should never land you in any trouble, but I fear that's the way things are going in this country.

The same with chants at games towards men who have a pink t-shirt on. Is anyone going to be seriously offended by that?

I hope that, for this guy to receive this kind of punishment, he has said something that is absolutely disgraceful and it's not just the case where the hyper-sensitive, politically correct crowd have won again to silence the basic right, that people absolutely must have in this country, to freedom of speech.

I was at West Ham-Brighton game some years back, with the Hammers fans singing 'does your boyfriend know your here?' The Brighton fans responded with a camp chorus of ooohhs with exagerated limp wrists. It was all very funny. It was interesting the way they dealt with that kind of assumption, was to embrace it and have a laugh. It's similar to the way non-Jewish Spurs fans embrace that designation with 'Yid Army.'

I'd hope that vicious chants denigrating players would be punished, but that there is still room for the sort of banter described above.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post

I hope that, for this guy to receive this kind of punishment, he has said something that is absolutely disgraceful and it's not just the case where the hyper-sensitive, politically correct crowd have won again to silence the basic right, that people absolutely must have in this country, to freedom of speech.
    I don't think it is a case of someone being "hyper-sensitive or politically correct". Unfortunately there are many young people around the world committing suicide because they are being bullied and ridiculed in school. If kids see grown adults singing homophobic chants at football matches then this is only going to spread to the schools.

Making a mockery of someone's sexuality is not and should not be seen to be acceptable.....end of.

Quote Originally Posted by MCameron View Post
    Do you think this guy in the EEN article from last week (below) sees it as banter?

It's the same as bigotry, racism and all other forms of intolerance. The youngsters hear this **** being sung and it breeds hatred.

A man was left with a broken jaw after a suspected homophobic attack in Edinburgh on Saturday night.
    The 24-year-old was walking with friends on Waverley Bridge when they were confronted by three men who shouted abuse at them.
    One of them punched the victim, knocking him to the ground, before running off towards Princes Street.
    Police described it as a "cowardly and vicious" assault, and urged witnesses to contact them.
    A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "Anyone who was in or around Waverley Bridge about midnight this morning and saw anything suspicious, or who can help identify the suspects, is asked to contact police immediately.
    "Lothian and Borders Police will not tolerate hate crime in any form and will robustly deal with anyone found to be responsible."
    One of the suspects was described as black, in his early 20s, 5ft 6ins and of medium build. He was wearing a black hooded top, black and yellow scarf and black trousers.
    The second man was white, tall, about 21 and slim. He had dark blond hair and was wearing a red top.
    A third man was described as white, aged 20 to 25, about 5ft 7ins, of average build and wearing a dark hooded top.

What has singing songs at football got to do with ta homophobic attack you just mentioned above? think you've went off in the wrong direction

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I was at West Ham-Brighton game some years back, with the Hammers fans singing 'does your boyfriend know your here?' The Brighton fans responded with a camp chorus of ooohhs with exagerated limp wrists. It was all very funny. It was interesting the way they dealt with that kind of assumption, was to embrace it and have a laugh. It's similar to the way non-Jewish Spurs fans embrace that designation with 'Yid Army.'

I'd hope that vicious chants denigrating players would be punished, but that there is still room for the sort of banter described above.
    Some people respond to abuse with humour. That doesn't excuse the abuse does it?

You seem to suggest that it does.

Look further down the bbc link : Puffin found at sexual clinic dies :

Ha ha, doesn't concern the Hibs support...

Paul Hartley is gaay - **** song in response to their even ****ter song

Agree with Bob though, football is a place for banter and if the grounds become completely sanitised of such humour it would be sad

For every funny chant there's a few that are cringeworthy though
    Last edited by joe breezy; 03-12-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    As an aside, was just sent this.

The new jambo Clock

http://lovedbdb.com/nudemenClock/index2.html

First Team Regular half.time.draw.'s Avatar
    The word has gone mad the PC brigade can GTF....

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by half.time.draw. View Post
    poof! :asshole:

Quote Originally Posted by half.time.draw. View Post
    So whilst having no real info on the case you have decided this is the doing of the PC brigade, whatever the **** that is. The old PC gone mad line is far more tiring than anything the 'PC brigade' could ever come up with.

Is it anymore acceptable for a player to be singled out as a 'poofy *******' than it would be to call a black player a 'black *******'? Would you defend racism under the PC brigade line.

Football has come a long way since Mark Walters had bananas thrown at him, its maybe about time we came into the 21st century regarding homophobia as well. Sadly when I posted about similar in the holy ground forum a couple of months back it took about 4 posts to descend into schoolboy jokes about homosexuality, frankly I don't expect any different this time. Some folk are stuck in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthamptonHibs View Post
    What has singing songs at football got to do with ta homophobic attack you just mentioned above? think you've went off in the wrong direction
    Are you being serious SH? Although the issue of homophobic attitudes isn't of course restricted to football it's a problem in our society but manifests itself in the supposed 'macho' atmosphere of football stadium. Some people seem to find it 'banter' that doesn't affect anyone but I disagree as it's a way that we introduce and reinforce views to youngsters whoe hear thousands singing about Paul Hartley 's sexuality and this in turn sets some kids prejudices as they grow up. So your'e right the article I posted from the EEN doesn't appear on the face of it have any link to football but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

The casual use of the terms poof or gay are seen as a bit of banter quite widely in our society - are these more acceptable that calling someone a paki or ******? Not to me. If there were a few seperate groups of friends in a room and in a seperate group there was someone from say India. Is it acceptable to say to your white pal 'shut it ya paki' as a bit of banter or would you think that might be inappropriate and might cause offence to the person in the other group? Replace 'paki' with 'poof' in this example is the answer still the same?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Completely impossible to give a judgement without knowing exactly what was said.

Giving a view on a particular issue should never land you in any trouble, but I fear that's the way things are going in this country.

The same with chants at games towards men who have a pink t-shirt on. Is anyone going to be seriously offended by that?

I'm sure that the person wearing the pink T-shirt wouldn't be particularly offended unless they were extremely thin skinned.

However, a gay person hearing the mockery could well be offended.

Imagine jokingly shouting something derogatory about being disabled to their able-bodied friend who happened to have an injured ankle. The able bodied person would just laugh it off, but it would still be offensive to someone with a serious disability.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crabis View Post
    Some people respond to abuse with humour. That doesn't excuse the abuse does it?

You seem to suggest that it does.

Only the person being abused can decide if its abuse or banter.

Gamer IDs

Watch this and tell me it is just 'banter'.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Watch this and tell me it is just 'banter'.

Gosh, Aaron , that's really powerful and extremely moving. I'm so pleased that you posted it.

Unfortunately, it won't resonate with many of those it needs to.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Gosh, Aaron , that's really powerful and extremely moving. I'm so pleased that you posted it.

Unfortunately, it won't resonate with many of those it needs to.

Beautiful amazing video with such a strong message.

@hibs.net private member ginger_rice's Avatar
    I think that there is a fine line between "banter" and "abuse" what one person finds amusing others will find disgusting.

The problem is where to stop, do we get to a point where all the humour is removed from football because of the fear of offending someone ie Paul Gascoigne and the "who ate all the pies" or "cheer up Jim Jeffries" at Hampden in '07.

BTW in my opinion PC has gone crazy I have afro-Caribbean friends who are horrified at the use of chalkboard instead of blackboard for instance they reckon it sets race relations back years
    "Football should always be played beautifully, you should play in an attacking way, it must be a spectacle". Johan Cruyff.

I don't see how making insults about someone's sexuality can be seen as 'banter' yet I'm sure all would agree making insults about someone's race / religion etc would be seen as the abuse it is.

Sooner or later this will be something the authorities turn their attention to. Label it as the work of 'the PC brigade' all you like (funny how the folk who use that term are generally the ones espousing the racist / homophobic / bigoted views). We constantly decry the Old Firm fans for their pointless hatred, we would rightly call out any clubs fans singing racist nonsense, so to try and draw a line in the sand and claim that actually, 'it's alright to slag off the gays, it's just banter' is pathetic.

Whatever people want to believe why do others constantly feel the need to enforce their beliefs as some sort of moral police force particularly on www.?

@hibs.net private member ginger_rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I don't see how making insults about someone's sexuality can be seen as 'banter' yet I'm sure all would agree making insults about someone's race / religion etc would be seen as the abuse it is.

Sooner or later this will be something the authorities turn their attention to. Label it as the work of 'the PC brigade' all you like (funny how the folk who use that term are generally the ones espousing the racist / homophobic / bigoted views). We constantly decry the Old Firm fans for their pointless hatred, we would rightly call out any clubs fans singing racist nonsense, so to try and draw a line in the sand and claim that actually, 'it's alright to slag off the gays, it's just banter' is pathetic.
    Scott I actually agree with you, the Paul Hartley thing for instance I find embarrassing. My point however is where exactly do we stop, I could get all hot and bothered about "banter" directed at overweight balding players or opposition supporters but don't.

I suppose that eventually we will get to a point where going to football will be like going to the cinema and the crowd will sit in silence the whole game, for fear of upsetting someone.....I don't know the world has changed and we just seem to be losing our ability to laugh at ourselves, but as I said before it's a fine line I suppose so best not to cross it at all.
    "Football should always be played beautifully, you should play in an attacking way, it must be a spectacle". Johan Cruyff.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Whatever people want to believe why do others constantly feel the need to enforce their beliefs as some sort of moral police force particularly on www.?
    Hitler had his beliefs too. I for one am thankful that some in society had the baws to police those intolerant views.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Well thats Hitler been mentioned, guess this thread has reached it's climax.

Quote Originally Posted by MCameron View Post
    Are you being serious SH? Although the issue of homophobic attitudes isn't of course restricted to football it's a problem in our society but manifests itself in the supposed 'macho' atmosphere of football stadium. Some people seem to find it 'banter' that doesn't affect anyone but I disagree as it's a way that we introduce and reinforce views to youngsters whoe hear thousands singing about Paul Hartley 's sexuality and this in turn sets some kids prejudices as they grow up. So your'e right the article I posted from the EEN doesn't appear on the face of it have any link to football but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

The casual use of the terms poof or gay are seen as a bit of banter quite widely in our society - are these more acceptable that calling someone a paki or ******? Not to me. If there were a few seperate groups of friends in a room and in a seperate group there was someone from say India. Is it acceptable to say to your white pal 'shut it ya paki' as a bit of banter or would you think that might be inappropriate and might cause offence to the person in the other group? Replace 'paki' with 'poof' in this example is the answer still the same?
    Back to the singing at football! How can anyone gets upset at these songs "we can see you holding hands" or "does your boyfriend no your here"? These were the types of songs sung at the Pompey v Brighton game and the Saints v Brighton game! It was always be banter, if folk get offended with that then they best stay in the house, shut the curtains!

Those's songs are banter, the PC brigade have went off on one again! The world has gone mad

Hail Hail