hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83

Imminent PF arrival, coaching staff?

I am looking quite forward to Pat coming aboard however my worry is he is not allowed to employ his own coaching staff.

I don't have anything against Gareth Evans etc however players must surely be used of dealing with these guys day in day out regardless of the guy in charge....

It would be good to see a clear out and Fenlon bringing in his out Gestapo!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am looking quite forward to Pat coming aboard however my worry is he is not allowed to employ his own coaching staff.

I don't have anything against Gareth Evans etc however players must surely be used of dealing with these guys day in day out regardless of the guy in charge....

In my opinion Evans and co. have been part of the overall problem. Time to start anew.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by IFONLY View Post
    In my opinion Evans and co. have been part of the overall problem. Time to start anew.
    I just don't know why they don't have to leave when a manager leaves, i realise the manager organises and delegates but its the enthusiasm that they may/may not put in etc that also affects players.

Its like being a teacher, when a school struggles the head teacher isnt sacked, the teachers are also held accountable!!!

I'd be disappointed if they arent asked to leave!!!!

Agreed ever since Collins and others after him Hibs have been on a downward spiral with the coaching staff remaining the same.

However i would not just get rid of them i would prefer to see these guys be involved with the youth academy, the same goes for Billy Brown, i wouldn't like to see him emptied out as i think he has alot to offer

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

There was an interview with Brown on the news last week saying he doesn't know if he'd want to stay if he didn't get the managers job so i think any suggestion Brown and co will be forced upon the manager are wide of the mark.

I completely agree with you though, time for a change from top to bottom.

Coaching Staff
    Do we know this as 100% fact?

First Team Breakthrough Duffys13's Avatar

I was listening to Radio Scotland last night (Dunno why) and they were saying that the rumour was the backroom staff would not be changing. Like the OP, I think a complete fresh start is needed, especially when it comes to those who take training etc etc. Fresh ideas all round please.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffys13 View Post
    I was listening to Radio Scotland last night (Dunno why) and they were saying that the rumour was the backroom staff would not be changing. Like the OP, I think a complete fresh start is needed, especially when it comes to those who take training etc etc. Fresh ideas all round please.
    What if our coaches are better than Fenlon's at Bohemians? I wouldn't be surprised. I agree that he should be allowed to bring at least someone in but when there's no guarantee that we can bring better people in I wouldn't be so hasty.

The thing I don't get about this Evans and Co must go malarky is that in the bigger picture they're just wee guys doing what they're told by their bosses, the manager and his assistant.

They must be alright, doing what they're told, because they've had different managers and their assistants telling them what to do and they've been happy enough to keep them.

If I was sacked because my previous bosses boss was ***** and I wasn't given the chance to prove myself to the new boss was I wouldn't be best pleased.

Left by mutual consent!
    That is correct. I also feel that AS, ST and GE had too much input into team affairs.. The matter was evident when CC was there with DA.. CC and DA would have a chat and the afformentioned would then seem to pipe up and the original idea would then be kicked into touch...

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Stuart Taylor is name in frame to come across from Ireland as asst

Quote Originally Posted by PISTOL1875 View Post
    That is correct. I also feel that AS, ST and GE had too much input into team affairs.. The matter was evident when CC was there with DA.. CC and DA would have a chat and the afformentioned would then seem to pipe up and the original idea would then be kicked into touch...
    Do managers/assistant managers/foremen not discuss work matters in the office or on the shop floor where you work ?
    It's done to help increase the efficiency of the unit and is standard practice in most workplaces .

Having said that I would hope the new manager , whoever he is, will bring in his own assistant manager. Re the others continuity might not be bad idea in the short term anyway

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The thing I don't get about this Evans and Co must go malarky is that in the bigger picture they're just wee guys doing what they're told by their bosses, the manager and his assistant.They must be alright, doing what they're told, because they've had different managers and their assistants telling them what to do and they've been happy enough to keep them.If I was sacked because my previous bosses boss was ***** and I wasn't given the chance to prove myself to the new boss was I wouldn't be best pleased.
    Maybe...? I don't know enough about the coaching / management structure at ER but if I was playing devils advocate it could be argued that successive management have not had the authority to change the coaching staff. This could be well intentioned by the board - trying to provide some continuity - as well as saving the cost of having to hire and fire coaches as frequently as they do management. What we can say is that since John Park left and the current structure was put in place we have been pretty poor on the pitch. As I said at the begining whether or not that is coincidence I don't know, but it's a reasonable debate. (Unfortunately the ones who could answer the question are all gagged by confidentiality clauses AFAIK)

Evans, Stevenson and co are the one constant on the playing side during our slide from the Mowbray / Collins era into this mess.

That our primary issues are players that simply aren't fit enough and error prone, the blame has to be at least partially directed at this bunch. Time has long since been up for them to my mind.

First Team Regular

Agree. At the very least I believe Teflon Man Evans should go. Hibs worst coach in living memory. Since his arrival I have not seen any young player in the squad making reasonable progress. Booth,Hanlon and Wotherspoon have great potential. Coaching at ER has halted their development. There are other reasons for sacking Teflon Man but the aforementioned should be enough.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Personally I would like to see Billy Brown stay on in his capacity as Assistant Manager a his experience and knowledge of the SPL would be invaluable to Fenlon. The Under 19's coaching set up seems to be working ok at present but I would not shed any tears if the rest of the backroom staff were shipped out with immediate effect.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The thing I don't get about this Evans and Co must go malarky is that in the bigger picture they're just wee guys doing what they're told by their bosses, the manager and his assistant.

They must be alright, doing what they're told, because they've had different managers and their assistants telling them what to do and they've been happy enough to keep them.

If I was sacked because my previous bosses boss was ***** and I wasn't given the chance to prove myself to the new boss was I wouldn't be best pleased.

IMOP they have not being doing what they are told, and JC,MP,JH and CC were not happy to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There was an interview with Brown on the news last week saying he doesn't know if he'd want to stay if he didn't get the managers job so i think any suggestion Brown and co will be forced upon the manager are wide of the mark.

I completely agree with you though, time for a change from top to bottom.
    I think there's a difference between one of the coaches not wanting to stay (and so can't be forced on the new manager) and one who wants to stay.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by killie-hibby View Post
    Agree. At the very least I believe Teflon Man Evans should go. Hibs worst coach in living memory. Since his arrival I have not seen any young player in the squad making reasonable progress. Booth,Hanlon and Wotherspoon have great potential. Coaching at ER has halted their development. There are other reasons for sacking Teflon Man but the aforementioned should be enough.
    Thats is immensely unfair as there is no way that successive people would have kept him on if that was the case.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thats is immensely unfair as there is no way that successive people would have kept him on if that was the case.

See post 17

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Personally I would like to see Billy Brown stay on in his capacity as Assistant Manager a his experience and knowledge of the SPL would be invaluable to Fenlon. The Under 19's coaching set up seems to be working ok at present but I would not shed any tears if the rest of the backroom staff were shipped out with immediate effect.
    Would make sense if Fenlon kept BB on for the SPL experience as you say - and if the players allegedly enjoy working with Brown then it might work out quite well.

Then again of course, the argument for a complete change is compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by killie-hibby View Post
    Sounds like someone has a grudge!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post

Then again of course, the argument for a complete change is compelling.
    Is it? - I don't understand this passion for throwing everything out with the bathwater. Get realistic - is there any business who when appointing a new Manager, at the same time sacks ALL existing Management and Executives. Aside from being illogical it would be wildly expensive..............

Feet on the ground laddies - take a dose of realism....
    Last edited by sevenil; 24-11-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo

First Team Breakthrough Duffys13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    What if our coaches are better than Fenlon's at Bohemians? I wouldn't be surprised. I agree that he should be allowed to bring at least someone in but when there's no guarantee that we can bring better people in I wouldn't be so hasty.
    Not sure about coaching qualifications to be honest, just want a fresh start at the club. I want the players to be shown a different way of doing things. Match day and training included

Gamer IDs

I am not laying blame at anyones door however i think it would be in Hibs best interests to have a change around.

These coaches are instructed what to do however players have heard their voices for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    What if our coaches are better than Fenlon's at Bohemians? I wouldn't be surprised.
    There si zero evidence that the current coaching staff have done anything to improve Hibs, how you can gauge they are better than anyone else is beyond.

I agree that he should be allowed to bring at least someone in but when there's no guarantee that we can bring better people in I wouldn't be so hasty.

I'd be hasty and clear the lot of them out.

We have to sweep clean. I'd be sorry for the coaching staff but they would have to admit that they have been involved with the failure at Hibs for past seasons now. It would be amazing if a new manager can get something better out of both the players and the coaching staff, maybe not impossible but I wouldn't like to take it on considering how long the coaching staff have been here and how many managers they have worked under.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenil View Post
    Is it? - I don't understand this passion for throwing everything out with the bathwater.
    I do. What is there on the pitch that gives you any kind of confidence that the coaches are doing a good job?

Get realistic - is there any business who when appointing a new Manager, at the same time sacks ALL existing Management and Executives. Aside from being illogical it would be wildly expensive..............
    Football isn't like any other business. If the new guy wants to bring in his own man then, as it's a footballing decision, the board should allow him to do so.

The reality is on the park. The coaching staff have coached us to be rubbish. Unfit rubbish at that.

Why should the stay in a job they've abjectly failed at?

Quote Originally Posted by sevenil View Post
    Is it? - I don't understand this passion for throwing everything out with the bathwater. Get realistic - is there any business who when appointing a new Manager, at the same time sacks ALL existing Management and Executives. Aside from being illogical it would be wildly expensive..............

There's no other business where continual failure of a function only results in the top guy continually getting the chop.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    There si zero evidence that the current coaching staff have done anything to improve Hibs, how you can gauge they are better than anyone else is beyond.

I'd be hasty and clear the lot of them out.
    I can't, none of us really can. That's why I'm saying calling for paying them off and paying for new staff without knowing what they really do and how capable they are is crazy.