hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough sidjames's Avatar

standing room only

The SPL gadge has just said on talkspish that they would consider a pilot scheme for a standing section if a club offered. Lower tier of FF next season? Also said Glasgow teams could play SPL games abroad, hopefully all of them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    I would welcome standing in the FF for the singing section tbf. It would give them a place to sing and bounce around without some people moaning. If you are going into a standing section, make sure though you would want to move about a bit. I mean that some Hibs fans would go in there then moan it's too noisy...too packed. Too many people making noise and supporting the team. I will bet my bottom dollar that it will happen.

Remove the seats of the lower FF would be great!

It would be filled for each game.

It would be the start of us getting back our football.

However, there will be some detractors on Hibs.net who will automatically think that by letting some fans stand at a game we will also have pish pouring down the steps, the gorgie aggro reforming and fighting the CCS, an upsurge in bunnet sales etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

However, there will be some detractors on Hibs.net who will automatically think that by letting some fans stand at a game we will also have pish pouring down the steps, the gorgie aggro reforming and fighting the CCS, an upsurge in bunnet sales etc etc

That all sounds good to me

Sounds promising.

Always had the demand at Hibs, those who stood in the Terracing before it was (sadly) flattened didn't go for the top facilities and brilliant views, went as you could stand in peace.

Nothing unsafe about standing, even infront of seats. Every team in the continent has an end designated for standing, only the Germans have went the full hog and opted for the terraces. Hopefully Hibs and the SPL see sense on this.

Punishing fans for the crime of standing up is completely mental, especially when you consider in Scottish stadiums there are usually more empty seats than there are fans at the actual games!

Why FF, why not the East where the singing section is?

Would love to see it introduced!

In Germany, instead of seats they have a designated small square for each ticket meaning it doesn't get packed too much...would love to see something similar at Easter Road

Hibs have always been at the forefront of new developments. This might be worthy of serious consideration. On the point of the fans being BTG, this is the most popular area. Even before when you could freely circulate the ground the younger more vocal element always congregated there. Later if you still wanted to be noisy you graduated to the old North. If you were a mature nutter you went in the North Enclosure like me!

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Why FF, why not the East where the singing section is?

I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed as it's too steep for terracing. The FF lower isn't quite so steep so it might be easier to get a safety certificate.

The thing is, I can't see Hibs going for this (much as I'd like to see it myself) as there's nothing in it for them. It would cost money, presumably quite a lot, to convert any seated area to terracing and I can't see there being a financial benefit to the club. They would logically have to charge less for entry to that area so they could end up losing money.

Bottom tier behind both goals would be ideal

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed as it's too steep for terracing. The FF lower isn't quite so steep so it might be easier to get a safety certificate.

The thing is, I can't see Hibs going for this (much as I'd like to see it myself) as there's nothing in it for them. It would cost money, presumably quite a lot, to convert any seated area to terracing and I can't see there being a financial benefit to the club. They would logically have to charge less for entry to that area so they could end up losing money.
    Well publicity for a start, novelty value and more colour and noise in a well defined area close to the pitch. It works well abroad. All the Spanish clubs encourage it from as little as a couple of hundred to thousands at some clubs. The more I think on this the more I think Hibs could be the perfect vehicle to showcase this and cash in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyspy View Post
    Well publicity for a start, novelty value and more colour and noise in a well defined area close to the pitch. It works well abroad. All the Spanish clubs encourage it from as little as a couple of hundred to thousands at some clubs. The more I think on this the more I think Hibs could be the perfect vehicle to showcase this and cash in.

I agree with all of that but it's just not the way the minds of the Hibs Board members work. The bottom line is all that counts, not some intangible (financially) benefit.

I agree with all of that but it's just not the way the minds of the Hibs Board members work. The bottom line is all that counts, not some intangible (financially) benefit.
    Well in that case I think I should be called upon to immediately be appointed Project Manager (funded by a 15,000 grant from EDC.) I Will deliver for said fee Scotland's first standing area by August next year. As it happens I can clear my diary and be right on it.

Surely here's nothing to stop them from ripping the seats out of the few rows below the access stairs in the new East if they wanted to/could afford it...they're built into the ground so the rake could be made shallower, with a wee wall behind seperating it from the main seated bit. Standing right along the full length of the pitch

I see no issue with a standing enclosure in the FF lower tier as long as the tickets were priced accordingly.

When I was in my teens (sadly a while ago now) going to the games was far more affordable so therefore I rarely missed a game, its simply too expensive now so if a standing area was say half the cost £10-13 dependant on opposition then bigger crowds are possible.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I can't see how Hibs would lose money as things are. Standing section would result in an immediate increase in attendance, attracting those who can't afford £25 for a ticket and of course the novelty value.

Those currently sitting in that section who didn't want to stand would move to a seat elsewhere, and I am sure others would turn up to sit but experience a hopefully improved atmosphere.

If Hibs are sold out every match then the terracing might affect the bottom line but we're a long way from that.

Testimonial Due
    Maybe something for one of the groups to raise at their next meeting with the club to gauge their views on it.

I'd agree with Keeko's view that its a non starter for the same reasons but definitely worth asking.

There will surely be 100% of fans behind this....after all for those that dont want to stand (like me) you can still have your pick of 18,000 seats in one of four stands -it's a no brainer!!!!!

For the record, I'm 100% in favour of reintroducing standing areas at football.

I think the problem for ER would be that our new stands simply aren't designed with standing areas in mind. The middle of the East would be impossible as a standing area would impair the view for those seated either side. The same problem would exist (to a lesser extent) in the stands behind the goals.

In reality, for this to be successful, a lot of construction (or more accurately, deconstruction) work would have to be done. The planning, construction and revised safety certificate costs would probably not be justified by any increased income - but we've no real way of knowing that for sure.

We'd also have to be able to convert the standing areas back to seats (or leave them out of commission) for UEFA matches. While that may not be a problem for Hibs, it would prevent us hosting Scotland matches at any level.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    the bottom of the FF wouldn't be big enough but would be a good start

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    the bottom of the FF wouldn't be big enough but would be a good start
    I think it would be big enough to start with, with the top section hopefully needed very quickly.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Nah......a backward step football has moved on, let's not go back!

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Aah. The smell of pish trickling out of a Tennents lager can. Those were the days

I very much doubt they would let fans stand in an upper tier section.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxHibs View Post
    Not saying they would allow it, but they dont stop it when the bigoted 3 are in there at easter road.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxHibs View Post
    Not an issue in the away ends at Hannover or Bremen so there are clearly no safety issues if done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Like The Kop is 100% stood for big games. Or the Liverpool travelling support who stand to a man at every away match..?

Nothing unsafe or backwards about standing at a football match.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post

I'd be happy enough with this, provided the workmanship in ripping the seats out was shoddy enough to guarantee holes to stumble into and supplies of jagged concrete missiles to hurl at opposition fans/players. Know us though, and our record on infrastructure, we'll take the safe an expensive option.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Letting people have a pint at the games should be the priority.

Let grounds sell drinks, sort out ticket prices, get rid of jobsworth stewards and we're on the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I strongly disgree.

This idea would most definately be progressive.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickki40 View Post
    I would welcome standing in the FF for the singing section tbf. It would give them a place to sing and bounce around without some people moaning. If you are going into a standing section, make sure though you would want to move about a bit. I mean that some Hibs fans would go in there then moan it's too noisy...too packed. Too many people making noise and supporting the team. I will bet my bottom dollar that it will happen.

Yeah get them in there out of the east!!