hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strachan 8/1

@hibs.net private member

Strachan 8/1

Yes please

His odds have shortened considerably since yesterday. 8/1 Skybet and 9/1 at Paddy Power

Not holding ma breath though

2. Log in to remove the advert

The Bookies don't really have much clue really its all guess work.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Bookies don't really have much clue really its all guess work.
    I agree with you 100%.... think the only time they have got it right with Hibs next manager was Yogi.

Still want Davies or Strachan or Collins but fear we don't have sufficient ambition to go for any of them

Jose Mourinho couldn't sort that team out

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    only the dole queue could sort the vast majority of them out !!!!

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Would love this to happen but I would be surprised if the Hibs Board had the ambition to even consider Gordon Strachan for the job.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Would love this to happen but I would be surprised if the Hibs Board had the ambition to even consider Gordon Strachan for the job.
    He's just the sort of experienced Manager we need!
    Wonder if Rod would be brave enough to put him on the payroll?

Left by mutual consent! God Petrie's Avatar
    All of this is presuming:

1) He is interested in coming to Hibs
    2) Hibs can legitimately afford him
    3) He would be a success
    4) Hibs fans would want him given his stint at Celtic

It has nothing to do with ambition or bravery.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    He probably could, but a good manager could improve us until bringing in his own players and emptying CC and JH's wasters.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by dryan View Post
    All of this is presuming:

1) He is interested in coming to Hibs
    2) Hibs can legitimately afford him
    3) He would be a success
    4) Hibs fans would want him given his stint at Celtic

It has nothing to do with ambition or bravery.
    Hibee so I hope at this stage he would like to come.

We probably couldn't but perhaps he doesn't need the cash.

Never a guarantee with any manager otherwise we would appoint a guy we knew would be a success.

Supporters have short memories. If he had us improved he would be "one of us"

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    He's just the sort of experienced Manager we need!
    Wonder if Rod would be brave enough to put him on the payroll?
    So is Rafa Benitez and Sam Alardice but like Strachan then neither want to come or would be prepared to work for the highest wages we could afford!

For "brave" do you mean "stupid"?

I think we all need to be a bit more realistic here.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart7-0 View Post
    I agree with you 100%.... think the only time they have got it right with Hibs next manager was Yogi.

Still want Davies or Strachan or Collins but fear we don't have sufficient ambition to go for any of them
    What sort of ambition would the club need to show to get collins given that he already walked out once before when the going got tough and whose only other managerial experience was to fail in chareloi.

I like jc, he was my favourite player in my youth, but don't get this love in at all. Fair enough he did win us a cup but he then promptly *****ed his budget on some utter dross and I'll be honest and say I was happy he walked.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Gordon Strachan doesn't want to go back into football management.

Maybe it's his "ambition" you should be questioning.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by stuart7-0 View Post
    Yes please

His odds have shortened considerably since yesterday. 8/1 Skybet and 9/1 at Paddy Power

Not holding ma breath though
    Ah well no chance of Deeks returning if that happens. Unless he wants to sit on the bench each week.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Not even one lass hurrah at the club he always wanted to play for and supported as a lad?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Ah well no chance of Deeks returning if that happens. Unless he wants to sit on the bench each week.
    Would rather have Strachan than Derek to be honest.

I don't know what's in Gordon Strachan's head and whether he wants to go into football management again or not. Even if he did, I've no idea if he would want the Hibs job.

What I would say is that if you are satisfied with the ambiton shown by the Hibs Board in recent times, then you must be happy with continually getting humped, outplayed and outfought by teams 1/4 of our size. Hibs underchievement has been going on for decades and I think it is right to question the Board's ambition. The next managerial appointment is crucial. Another bargain basement, inexperienced Managerial selection and we're stuffed.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I don't know what's in Gordon Strachan's head and whether he wants to go into football management again or not. Even if he did, I've no idea if he would want the Hibs job.

What I would say is that if you are satisfied with the ambiton shown by the Hibs Board in recent times, then you must be happy with continually getting humped, outplayed and outfought by teams 1/4 of our size. Hibs underchievement has been going on for decades and I think it is right to question the Board's ambition. The next managerial appointment is crucial. Another bargain basement, inexperienced Managerial selection and we're stuffed.
    What has my satisfaction with football got to do with the board's ambition?

You said the board don't have the ambition to employ Strachan.

Have you ever questioned Vlad's ambition? Or David Murray's?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I keep wondering, is Gordon Strachan constantly being mentioned mainly because he was a Hibs supporter in his youth and was once on our books?

Does he still hold Hibs as dear to his heart so to speak or has he moved on?

Pat Nevin will openly admit to being converted to the Hibs cause but I have never heard Strachan come out in recent years and say that Hibs are still his team. I vaguely remember when he was still playing that he wanted to play for Hibs one day but that never happened.

Whilst he would be a popular choice with the fans to begin with, if results didn't go his way he would finish up going the same way as Mixu and Yogi and I doubt he would want that sort of hassle.

If he still has an affection for Hibs we may well be the last club he would want to be manager of!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermac View Post
    I keep wondering, is Gordon Strachan constantly being mentioned mainly because he was a Hibs supporter in his youth and was once on our books?

Pat Nevin will openly admit to being converted to the Hibs cause but I have never heard Strachan come out in recent years and say that Hibs are still his team. I vaguely remember when he was still playing that he wanted to play for Hibs one day but that never happened.

Whilst he would be a popular choice with the fans to begin with, if results didn't go his way he would finish up going the same way as Mixu and Yogi and I doubt he would want that sort of hassle.

If he still has an affection for Hibs we may well be the last club he would want to be manager of!
    I saw an interview he did on football focus or something similar when managing Southampton. He was asked what would he do if he was sacked, he replied go back to Edinburgh, get a season ticket for easter road and watch the Hibs.

What has my satisfaction with football got to do with the board's ambition?

You said the board don't have the ambition to employ Strachan.

Have you ever questioned Vlad's ambition? Or David Murray's?
    Ambition and success/satisfaction usually go hand in hand. Hibs have not been successful on the football pitch for a long time and most fans are not satisfied. I think that a big factor in this is due to a lack of ambition by the Board. They have raked in millions on the sale of players and invested very little on replacements.

You seemed to be suggesting that it was wrong for me to question the Board's ambition, which led to my assumption that you were satisfied with team performance under their tenure.

As for Vlad and David Murray, they have certainly shown ambition for the Club's they owned but have also been reckless. £11m for Flo and £13k a week wages for Larry Kingston says it all.

Appointing a 'name' would be a waste of time, a temporary blip in attendance before normal service is resumed and the chorus of booing find its voice again. It will be more ambitious to pick the best man for the job, not the biggest name.

I see nothing in Strachan's career that suggests he could come here and work miracles with little or no money. If he wasn't constantly mentioned as a Hibs fan I doubt he'd ever be mentioned.
    Last edited by ScottB; 20-11-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Strachan is mince!

But he's "one of our own...." so that justifies making him manager.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    3 SPL titles in a row, took Celtic through the champs league group stages, got Southampton to the FA cup final and Europe.. Can't believe some people wouldn't want him.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    3 SPL titles in a row, took Celtic through the champs league group stages, got Southampton to the FA cup final and Europe.. Can't believe some people wouldn't want him.
    and those same folk would rather we had Terry Butcher?????????????

Now i dont know if he's even interested or we can afford him, but he would be a much better option than some of the names banded about.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Mental isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I saw an interview he did on football focus or something similar when managing Southampton. He was asked what would he do if he was sacked, he replied go back to Edinburgh, get a season ticket for easter road and watch the Hibs.

Sounds like he lacks ambition to me.

If I was in his shoes I would be trying to get a season ticket at Man Utd or Man City, Arsenal or something like that.

To express going to Hibs.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermac View Post

He is very much still a Hibs fan however of course it has to be tempered given he works in football and has worked at the highest level of Scottish football (and managed one half of the OF).

In fact he caused a bit of unrest in his first Celtic TV interview when he stated he was a Hibs fan IIRC.

He was recently (couple of years back) on the set of a film that Dougray Scott was in (I think it was New Town Killers or something) and all they did was talk about Hibs all day he was there....the source for that story being a guy who he went to school with was working there (Hibs fan too). GS recognised him having not seen him since school days, remembered his family and was as ever a total gent. And of course mentioned the Hibs. He is also very close to Spartans and is best friends with a couple of the staff there and their families. He always asks about Hibs and how they are doing.

I'd love him at Hibs, the entrance fee would be worth it just to see his touchline antics and his relationship with Rod. He'd certainly not accept shirkers or the 'work shy'.

In fact, am I not right in saying that Rod is an Aberdeen fan (at heart), so perhaps GS would be a wee hero in RP's eye.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    Strachan is mince!

But he's "one of our own...." so that justifies making him manager.
    yersel!

If by any remote chance Strachan was interested in the post then he's the obvious choice for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    Strachan is mince!But he's "one of our own...." so that justifies making him manager.
    How can you possibly state he is "mince"? This is a man that has won the league we are currently playing in.It is only his connection to Hibs that we can talk of getting a manager that has seen and done it in the league we are operating in.Some people need to get a grip on reality FFS..look at the other managers that have won the SPL. Without a Hibs supporting past do u think for a second they would entertain the Hibs job....Martin O'Neill Advocate, McLeish, Janssen, Smith.....?