hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close a stand.

Close a stand.

Is it about time we copied Dunfermline and closed a stand to save costs, unless RP has a grand plan on how to entice people back i really dont see the point in having our stadium over 50 % empty on match day. p.s that 3 for 2 deal lol, think again Rod its not going to work.

2. Log in to remove the advert

No.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Will never happen and nor should it! Invest in a new stand and then close one, that would be ridiculous and make us a laughing stock.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Wont be long before we can close 2 stands and get everyone in the east.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    The clubs that have done this already have not had the luxury of thinking, " This will look terrible", but have had to face reality. St Johnstone are already talking about closing the away end for good and demolishing it for an access road. We could have gone all season with either the FF or the south shut.

It was a waste of millions building the new stand, i would rather have seen it spent on keeping Brown Thompson Murphy Caldwell, O'conner and Riordan an investment in a decent keeper and had a bash at winning the league.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was a waste of millions building the new stand, i would rather have seen it spent on keeping Brown Thompson Murphy Caldwell, O'conner and Riordan an investment in a decent keeper and had a bash at winning the league.
    I agree but a 72 page thread drooling over the new stand would suggest we are in a minority on here.

We wouldn't have held on to the names you mention but surely would be able to operate in a higher standard transfer market when looking at replacements.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Those players wanted to go, the money we spent on a new stand would not have kept them at ER. A "waste" of millions would've been paying them wages we couldn't really afford and not winning the league. The stand is here to stay, it will serve us for a long time, it was not a waste of money.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Will never happen and nor should it! Invest in a new stand and then close one, that would be ridiculous and make us a laughing stock.
    You mean like turning down £300k compo for our manager then sacking him 3 months later? Surely not

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I agree but a 72 page thread drooling over the new stand would suggest we are in a minority on here.
    The minority were correct however. It was not needed nor will it be going forward ..

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    The minority were correct however. It was not needed nor will it be going forward ..
    No you weren't and yes it will. Give it time.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    No you weren't and yes it will. Give it time.
    Agreed. It was then or never for the stand. Especially with the Jambo loving council who would have denied us permission due to the flats behind the stand.

I think having the old east stand would have made this season so much more bearable.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    I think having the old east stand would have made this season so much more bearable.
    Na, the East was gash under Blobby. It would be like that again now.

I think if we have a team like TM's again anytime in the future the next East will be bouncing.

Can you imagine the dross we would have brought in if we still had the old east stand. It's the new east stand that sells the club to the players.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Can you imagine the dross we would have brought in if we still had the old east stand. It's the new east stand that sells the club to the players.
    Na, thats the training complex

I don't see the point in anybody still moaning about building the east stand. It's not going to be unbuilt any time soon. It's not the stadium that's the problem, it's the team and the management, or lack off. Let's focus on getting that right.

We built a great stadium for fifty years. I'd be happy to see us build a decent team for five.

Blog Entries
    Yes, because that would have happened

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth we've got rid of a stand that was, frankly, minging on the basis that we will in the future be able to get towards a good level of occupancy as a result of squad on the park that will challenge. Not suggesting for a minute that we're there yet, but the East (and speaking as a ST Holder there for years) was howfing. The occasional good bounce didnt make up for the fear of contracting something merely by walking into the cludgie.

We've not been close to having a game where the stadium can really get going since the new stand has been up due to the crud out out by Hughes and the tedium created by Calderwood. When we get a game where the fans can go mental (in a positive way) we'll see what the atmosphere is like. Jan 2nd seems like a good time to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kammy1875 View Post
    Na, thats the training complex
    What. We have a training complex? When does it open?

The way we are going only the famous five lower will be required next season.

Left by mutual consent!
    What. We have a training complex? When does it open?
    Between 0900 & 1230 - then it's off to the bookies in Tranent for the afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Kammy1875 View Post
    Between 0900 & 1230 - then it's off to the bookies in Tranent for the afternoon
    I think you're confusing training complex with inferiority complex.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think you're confusing training complex with inferiority complex.
    Yep, this is quite possible

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    You mean like turning down £300k compo for our manager then sacking him 3 months later? Surely not

Never happened

Is it about time we copied Dunfermline and closed a stand to save costs, unless RP has a grand plan on how to entice people back i really dont see the point in having our stadium over 50 % empty on match day. p.s that 3 for 2 deal lol, think again Rod its not going to work.
    Surely it'll still be half empty if they did close a stand :-)

Yeah but the re-development needed done at some point. Im no expert but would guess that ER and the training centre wont need major re-development for 20-30 years? Meaning that all disposable income in that time has to be invested in the team. IMO we are the only club outside Glasgow in that position. It may not have had an immediate effect but it has given us so much potential growth.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs have a first class ground and training complex. These things are building blocks for the club for the foreseeable future. Players come and go but it is ridiculous to say we should have kept a few players to try and win the league. We have never challenged in close on 60 years so why would holding on a few players going change that? We are a club that has under achieved for years 3 league cup wins in 39 years is poor for the 3/4/5th biggest team in the country. Hopefully the new manager will be build the club up again. There are some decent players in the Under 19's and if you add to the experience that Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Stevens, Booth and Welsh are getting just now we as a club might start to go forward again. Hindsight is a exact science but we should stop looking back and start looking forward. the club made the right decisions with the infrastructure and we were all delighted.

If I remember right, the money for the East-stand was ring fenced. So it would not have been spent on players, or enything bar the East-stand.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    It was a waste of millions building the new stand
    One three-stand ground in Edinburgh with a crumbling *****heap on the fourth side is quite enough, thanks anyway.