hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O'Connor

First Team Breakthrough

O'Connor

Only a matter of time before the infirm were linked!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/15710971.stm

2. Log in to remove the advert

Does this really surprise you. Was always on the cards once he started scoring. The obviously thought it was too much of a risk to sign him in summer.

Preparing for life without Jelavic. They will prob get more than £6 million for him and would get GOC for about £60 grand.

Hopefully GOC will show a bit of loyalty (if there is any left in game) and sign extended contract at club (presuming he is offered one)

Quote Originally Posted by hibee bouncer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only a matter of time before the infirm were linked!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/15710971.stm
    I think that is unlikely, but he is over-rated so I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    I think that is unlikely, but he is over-rated so I don't care.
    Overrated?

He'll be playing for Saughton next season anyway.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    His one year contract at Hibs was to prove he still had it to play at a high level i'm suprised if he ends up at Rangers more like Celtic

I'd be livid if we sold him in January. He's signed a one year contract and his worth to Hibs in the second half of the season is likely to be far higher than any sum that we could bring in for him in January.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Does this really surprise you. Was always on the cards once he started scoring. The obviously thought it was too much of a risk to sign him in summer.

Preparing for life without Jelavic. They will prob get more than £6 million for him and would get GOC for about £60 grand.

Hopefully GOC will show a bit of loyalty (if there is any left in game) and sign extended contract at club (presuming he is offered one)

Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I'd be livid if we sold him in January. He's signed a one year contract and his worth to Hibs in the second half of the season is likely to be far higher than any sum that we could bring in for him in January.
    This.

O'Connor is one of the few decent players we have right now, and we can't afford to lose him. Whilst I hope that the new boss can strike up a good working relationship and persuade him to sign an extension, in reality this was a one year deal where he could put himself in the shop window for more money next season.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    He's barely kicked a ball since the last international break so i wouldn't be surprised if contact has already been made, realise there's been rumours of him being injured but IMO he's not looked interested the last few weeks in the way he did at the start of the season.

As I said earlier, Garry as well as other people at ER are seriously worried about his impending £100k fraud case comlng. Footballer or not, this is a very serious offence. This is obviously playing on his mind as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    As I said earlier, Garry as well as other people at ER are seriously worried about his impending £100k fraud case comlng. Footballer or not, this is a very serious offence. This is obviously playing on his mind as expected.

A £100K fraud is custodial sentence territory regardless of who you are.

A good lawyer might get a hefty fine and community service or a suspended sentence but he will have been advised that he should be worried and this will undoubtedly be playing on his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

A £100K fraud is custodial sentence territory regardless of who you are.

A good lawyer might get a hefty fine and community service or a suspended sentence but he will have been advised that he should be worried and this will undoubtedly be playing on his mind.
    A good lawyer might have got him that had he pled guilty, but pleading not guilty in a case like this pretty much means, if convicted, he'll get a custodial sentence.

The case continues on 23 November - on which I expect to hear he has changed his plea.

Pleading guilty is only wise if there is a stack of undeniable evidence against you presented in a credible fashion.

If there's any way that you can shed doubt on it I'd always advise to plead not guilty. Don't know enough about the facts of the case though.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    A good lawyer might have got him that had he pled guilty, but pleading not guilty in a case like this pretty much means, if convicted, he'll get a custodial sentence.

The case continues on 23 November - on which I expect to hear he has changed his plea.
    Pretty much what I'd expect too.

If that's the case it will still be counted as an early plea and a reduced sentence a possibility. A lot also depends on whether any money was paid out and if so whether it was paid back. If there is no financial loss to the business there's a good chance the Sheriff will be a bit more lenient.

I wouldn't expect a sentence until a fair bit after his.next court appearance anyway.

First Team Regular
    Doesn't surprise me,no. Don't know anything about the legal situation but with Rangers casting the net to places like India they are obviously going to accept strikers they can get for a reasonable fee on their doorstep. Question is, given their own legal and finncial situation at the moment, will they even be able to stump up a fee in the 200k range?

Quote Originally Posted by GalH
    Doesn't surprise me,no. Don't know anything about the legal situation but with Rangers casting the net to places like India they are obviously going to accept strikers they can get for a reasonable fee on their doorstep. Question is, given their own legal and finncial situation at the moment, will they even be able to stump up a fee in the 200k range?
    200k? they would get GOC for about 60K IMHO. We got about 125k for Deek and he had banged in loads.

There is no chance we would get anything near that amount . Sorry but wishfull thinking mate

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    I heard he has signed a pre contract with smellic,seemingly on 22 grand a week,not sure if it is true though.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gogsfaeleith View Post
    I heard he has signed a pre contract with smellic,seemingly on 22 grand a week,not sure if it is true though.
    Eh naw, just naw. £22k a week.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Our entire strikeforce is out of contract at end of season so they will all be able to sign pre contracts come January if they wish if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Our entire strikeforce is out of contract at end of season so they will all be able to sign pre contracts come January if they wish if memory serves.
    Agogo & Osbourne both 2 year deals I thought?

Quote Originally Posted by gogsfaeleith View Post

@hibs.net private member Www1875hfc's Avatar
    Personally if Gary leaves, i think he will end up down south at Bristol City to link up with Derek McInnes.

@hibs.net private member
    No point selling him for a paltry amount just to help the huns out - let them sweat and enjoy Garry's goals until May.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    This will be what's behind his dip in form and he wouldn't be human if he wasn't affected by this to some extent.

@hibs.net private member
    As would I Mr. B however things are not always as simple as the new man saying yes or no.

I think there was talk at the time, with it being a one year deal, that there were release clauses in the deal should a better offer materialise. Dont know and just throwing it out there.

I would be disappointed in GOC if he did not at least see out the season but, in these mercenary times in which we live, money talks.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Should we maybe no take a breath here? He got a one year deal because of his iffy recent history and by that I mean what he has done on the pitch. It has turned out so far, to have worked well for both parties and when the year is up, if he walks then so be it. That was more or less the deal up front. We have already had a decent wedge for GOC.

If he goes to jail before signing for Rangers, it's just another example of the institutional bias against the once-proud Glasgow outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Should we maybe no take a breath here? He got a one year deal because of his iffy recent history and by that I mean what he has done on the pitch. It has turned out so far, to have worked well for both parties and when the year is up, if he walks then so be it. That was more or less the deal up front. We have already had a decent wedge for GOC.
    That makes a lot of sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Exactly. He's repaid us already with all the goals hes scored. we'd be bottom of the league if it wasnt for Garry.