hibs.net Messageboard

Not another ex player

How many times have we went down this route. But "he's one of our own".

We need an experienced manager to steady the ship.

Michael O'Neil is still a young manager, and has never managed at a club this size.

I think stability is needed at this time, and an old hand is needed as we sit at the wrong end of the SPL. Even if only till the end of the season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Harris View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Michael O'Neil is still a young manager, and has never managed at a club this size.

I think stability is needed at this time, and an old hand is needed as we sit at the wrong end of the SPL. Even if only till the end of the season.
    Just like when we announced Tony Mowbray...he done alright

Balls. It needs to be someone Hibernian Minded®...that means an ex-player without a doubt. If Sammy Morrow or Thierry Gathuessi arent at the very least on the shortlist i will ambush Petrie at Behind the Goals and remove his moustache with a blunt pair of secateurs.

Steady mate. You'd better batten down the hatches. Don't you know what happens when you make statements like that? Brace yourself for being a yam sympathiser and not good enough to support the club

Michael O'Neil is a far better candidate than any experienced manager will ever be.

As i said on another thread last week, ET was an ex player. Won the cup for Aberdeen and he had previously managed Queens park before that so it has been done, we just have to pick the right one !.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Calderwood was experienced but failed.

Any experienced manager we could get would have failed at least one club so why are they less likely to fail at us than a young manager thats only ever been successfull wherever he's been?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Balls. It needs to be someone Hibernian Minded®...that means an ex-player without a doubt. If Sammy Morrow or Thierry Gathuessi arent at the very least on the shortlist i will ambush Petrie at Behind the Goals and remove his moustache with a blunt pair of secateurs.

Coaching Staff

The recent experienced managers we've had have been the worst of the lot.

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Exactly Andy, I would much rather have someone young, enthusiastic with good ideas that's desperate to prove himself over 2 or 3 years in order to move up to the next level. Supporting Hibs under Mowbrays stewardship was excellent, every single person that went ER back then were all behind the team and the club 100%. We need to get back to something of the same standard and soon, otherwise we will be going to ER as a chore and not because we want to. It's MON for me and I'd like him to bring Jim Magilton with him. GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by wazoo1875
    Exactly Andy, I would much rather have someone young, enthusiastic with good ideas that's desperate to prove himself over 2 or 3 years in order to move up to the next level. Supporting Hibs under Mowbrays stewardship was excellent, every single person that went ER back then were all behind the team and the club 100%. We need to get back to something of the same standard and soon, otherwise we will be going to ER as a chore and not because we want to. It's MON for me and I'd like him to bring Jim Magilton with him. GGTTH
    MON and JM would be an excellent pairing IMHO. We shall hopefully find out in the next week or so.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Calderwood was experienced but failed.

Any experienced manager we could get would have failed at least one club so why are they less likely to fail at us than a young manager thats only ever been successfull wherever he's been?
    Quote Originally Posted by wazoo1875 View Post
    Am i on your ignore list Wazoo ya throbber?????!!!!!

Seriously though, completely agree, why people are so determined to get another williamson instead of potentially another Mowbray I'll never know.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Sam Morrow is flying high at Ross County in the first division. What has happened to Darren McCormack? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex
    Sam Morrow is flying high at Ross County in the first division. What has happened to Darren McCormack? Anyone know?
    Did Darren not break his leg or something. Serious one I think.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Did Darren not break his leg or something. Serious one I think.
    Not sure. I was checking RossCounties squad on their website to make sure Morrow was still there and noticed McCormack wasnt and just wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Am i on your ignore list Wazoo ya throbber?????!!!!!Seriously though, completely agree, why people are so determined to get another williamson instead of potentially another Mowbray I'll never know.
    Did someone say something? Sorry Beans

Left by mutual consent!

HKHibby

No way Michael O Neil!...no experience and another novice because he has done well with Shamrock Rovers!...no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HKhibby View Post
    No way Michael O Neil!...no experience and another novice because he has done well with Shamrock Rovers!...no thanks!
    Make your mind up he's either got no experience and therefore a novice or he's done well as a manager at another club ;-)Out of curiosity can you say who you'd like to manage us.
    Last edited by wazoo1875; 12-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.

90% of me agrees with you
    The other 10% says can we afford , the state Hibs are in, to appoint a young manager ?
    $64000 question for those in charge whoever they might be

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    90% of me agrees with you
    The other 10% says can we afford , the state Hibs are in, to appoint a young manager ?
    $64000 question for those in charge whoever they might be

It's just the right manager that counts.

It's just the right manager that counts.
    Agree with you 100% this time

What's the point in appointing somebody for a few months? I'd rather see us risk failure/success rather settle for the mediocrity of the usual uninspiring names that get bandied around.

Couldn't care less if they are or aren't an ex-player. what's most important is that the board show a modicum of bravery and imagination and don't just go for one of the usual "Scottish Football" suspects (although, being specific I mean JJ or Tango Man)

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Kicks the **** out the yams

I would rather the board appointed someone who is potentially great than someone who is 'steady'. Not the hibs way.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    What I think is paramount for the next appointment is that they are allowed to bring in their own staff also, none of this having to do with people who are already there. The Adams Assistant role was bizarre in the extreme IMO and must not happen again if the manager is given the best chance to succeed.

Blog Entries
    The two ends of the spectrum are not "experienced" and "inexperienced".

There are loads of experienced managers who arent particularly good, and there will be younger/inexperienced managers who are very good.

There's a cliched saying that it's better to seek success than to avoid failure, and the apppointment of Tangoman or someone of his ilk would be very much the latter. MON for me - the fact he once played for Hibs is irrelevant.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    What I think is paramount for the next appointment is that they are allowed to bring in their own staff also, none of this having to do with people who are already there. The Adams Assistant role was bizarre in the extreme IMO and must not happen again if the manager is given the best chance to succeed.
    or any other kind of interference, fat chance. IMO the manager is the most important person at the club in fitba matters, others seem tae think it's them.

As for the ex Hibs player thing, rubbish IMO. Maybe they failed because they werenae very good, maybe they failed because they were working with one hand tied behind their back, or both, naebody failed because of who they used tae play for.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 14-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Given the rate that we go through managers I think it is a bit silly to be ruling out certain ones as they have been involved in the club before. I will take the best man for the job, if that means he has been involved in the club before then fine.

Experienced managers come with a price tag, especially those ones that have been successful so I think we need to be realistic.

I would more than happily take someone who wants to make a name for themselves and understands Hibs and the requirements we have.