hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M O Neill

First Team Breakthrough

M O Neill

Just want to give my thoughts on this guy. In my opinion it must be Mon as the new manager. Ok I take on everyone's points about no experience but this is no spl experience. This is a guy who has taken shamrock to the uefa cup groups which imo is akin to getting us to the champs league. They played excellent against spurs and looked as they could pull of a shock and I think we would struggle to even get the ball just now at white hart lane.

He still has a home in Edinburgh so no major upheaval. I genuinely believe he would get us playing good football again. I appreciate we may not always win but what a difference that would make.

Again this is just my opinion and respect every who doesn't agree's reservations but this appointment would excite me greatly which is what I ,and I think,everyone of us needs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B'Briggs Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just want to give my thoughts on this guy. In my opinion it must be Mon as the new manager. Ok I take on everyone's points about no experience but this is no spl experience. This is a guy who has taken shamrock to the uefa cup groups which imo is akin to getting us to the champs league. They played excellent against spurs and looked as they could pull of a shock and I think we would struggle to even get the ball just now at white hart lane.

He still has a home in Edinburgh so no major upheaval. I genuinely believe he would get us playing good football again. I appreciate we may not always win but what a difference that would make.

Again this is just my opinion and respect every who doesn't agree's reservations but this appointment would excite me greatly which is what I ,and I think,everyone of us needs.
    TBH he is probably the only candidate that has been quoted that am excited about, I think strachan would do a great job but don't think he wants it enough, MO though I think does and I would be interested to see what he could achieve.

First Team Regular Leicester Fan's Avatar
    When I saw the title I thought you meant Martin O'Neil.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    TBH he is probably the only candidate that has been quoted that am excited about, I think strachan would do a great job but don't think he wants it enough, MO though I think does and I would be interested to see what he could achieve.
    And we should not underestimate the importance of this factor - as well as displaying ability, the new manager should ideally have the draw to pull the fans together and start filling up our shiney new stadium.

Jeffries is being heavily touted at the mo and, much as I respect his abilities as a manager and wouldn't doubt his motivation, this is a major worry IMO - many fans are already saying they wouldn't be back to watch Hibs under Jeffries and, even if you think they're full of hot air, this definately reflects the short fuse a great many Hibs fans would have for a hibs under FJK - if he didn't get off to a flier he and the board would get crucified by large sections of the support and before you knew it he would be under immense pressure.

Any new manager will come with some degree of risk and potential - for me, MON represents the best balance between these two factors when I weigh it all up.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    I'm not convinced that O'Neill is that fussed about the Hibs job.

It's incredible that it's seen as a dangerous gamble to go for a young, progressive ex-hibby who has taken a League of Ireland side to the group stages of a major European championship on a shoestring, while a fat Jambo with a record that swithers between mediocrity and abject failure, with a stack of SPL/EPL resources behind him, is seen as a 'safe bet'.

Do people not remember why Jeffries was sacked by Hearts?

I remember a very good footballer but a guy with questionable characteristics as he ran down his contract...

Blog Entries
    I don't think O'Neil would be anywhere near the gamble that FJK would be. Of all the names being banded about I think he is the one who might help Hibs turn the corner.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Agree think he has his eyes on bigger things down south.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It's just been announced on the Beeb news that Michael O'Neill has said that he's not been approached by Hibs about the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Agree think he has his eyes on bigger things down south.
    yip he will looking to get the next championship job that comes up.
    But if we could get him and his assistant Jim Magilton to come here i don't we could do any better.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    It's just been announced on the Beeb news that Michael O'Neill has said that he's not been approached by Hibs about the job.
    on the radio? nothing on the website

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    on the radio? nothing on the website

5 o'clock radio news.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel

5 o'clock radio news.
    Thanks I read it wrong first time I thought u said he HAD been !

Good man Michael thats the Hibs way deny or say nothing untill the deals signed, petrie will be so happy with you.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevenl049 PSN ID: stevenl049
    I reckon that he's being very clever though. He's not gonna jump up and down saying he wants it... I mean, only an idiot does that....

I pray to god that Michael O'Neil gets the job. Would be a great move by the Club as imo , given a bit of time will get us back to where we should be, top4 every season, challenging for the cups and more often in europe than not. Just the tonic we as fans need. Petrie, ya waster, get it sorted.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    I think MON will evolve into this year's Steve Clarke, we all pin our hopes on him as he becomes easily the best candidate, a delayed announcement only hightens expectation and then we're all deflated when Rod announces the coup acquisition of Calderwood (Jimmy)

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    I think MON will evolve into this year's Steve Clarke, we all pin our hopes on him as he becomes easily the best candidate, a delayed announcement only hightens expectation and then we're all deflated when Rod announces the coup acquisition of Calderwood (Jimmy)
    I was thinking something like that might happen as well!

@hibs.net private member
    ...which is not altogether surprising as the custom appears to have been in the past to chew over things for a wee while before anyone is approached.

Personally, I wouldn't let the grass grow under my feet - if he is to be the man then get him in pronto!

I think this would be a bad appointment. we should stay away from ex players, its never worked before

Left by mutual consent! Rougier45's Avatar
    Dashing bob s is spot on the gamble would be by Michael not us jj is not the man he is a dinosaur

Would love it to b Mick but what do I know I was excited by yogi until I heard him speak -we need an intelligent person and mick is that he is also a hibee and was a great Creative player hi

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    I think this would be a bad appointment. we should stay away from ex players, its never worked before
    Such as Eddie Turnbull !.

My money is on MON.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Eddie Turnbull???????????

@hibs.net private member ...WentToMowAnSPL's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: satvis1

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    It's incredible that it's seen as a dangerous gamble to go for a young, progressive ex-hibby who has taken a League of Ireland side to the group stages of a major European championship on a shoestring, while a fat Jambo with a record that swithers between mediocrity and abject failure, with a stack of SPL/EPL resources behind him, is seen as a 'safe bet'.

This !
    "At the end of the day, we all aspire to bigger things in our lives but one thing I can truly say from my heart is if I never kick a ball for one of these bigger clubs I would be delighted to stay with Hibs for the rest of my career. That's how highly I regard this club." Ivan Sproule

First Team Regular Bohemian_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

As a Bohs man, Dashing Bob will know how much I despise O'Neill

That said, I fully agree with what he has said above, as much as it kills me to say it.

O'Neill out!

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was maybe Aristotle or Socrates (philosopher not footy player) who pointed out flawed logic with:
    Men are human
    Women are human
    So men are women.

The idea that managers have failed because they are ex Hibees is nonsense. It has no bearing at all other than perhaps that they get cut a wee bit more slack by the fans.
    You'd be as well saying don't employ an ex Spurs player (CC), an ex-Monaco player (JC), or an ex Marseilles player (FS)

Club attachment means all to the supporters, but very little to players or managers. They are doing a job of work and it's irrelevant - other than the fact that they may be familiar with the geography of the town and the layout of the club.
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

I think O'Neill could be a great manager, then he'd piss off after a few months like the others who have done wellish!!

So what to do? Best just take on some fat jambo who nobody wants. Get O'Neill interviewed NOW! SIGN HIM NOW!