hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Sturrock

Paul Sturrock

In to 3/1 now. Has Southend United sitting top of League 2, did great with St. J & Plymouth. Certainly experienced.

I'd be delighted with Luggy and he's worked with John Blackley throughout his career. According to wiki he suffers from mild Parkinsons disease.

Bring him back up north!
    Last edited by KWJ; 08-11-2011 at 12:48 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Massive risk IMO. Has been hit or miss throughout his career plus health would be a major concern.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Posted earlier this week but Petrie has tried twice previously to get him

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Please no

@hibs.net private member
    He would be better than alot of names getting chucked around, like Jefferies, Laszlo, Aitken or Brown.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    I believe Hibs will interview 4 for this post

O'Neil
    Jeffries
    Brown
    J Calderwood

Interviews to start Wednesday but JJ seems to be slight Fav ahead of O'Neil forget the rest, this might go down to money hence the reason JJ is Fav

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...is-chance.html
    Last edited by hibiedude; 08-11-2011 at 06:24 AM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Why would jj be cheaper? o'neill is out of contract too but has less experience so would likely be the cheaper of the too.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In to 3/1 now. Has Southend United sitting top of League 2, did great with St. J & Plymouth. Certainly experienced.

I'd be delighted with Luggy and he's worked with John Blackley throughout his career. According to wiki he suffers from mild Parkinsons disease.

Bring him back up north!
    Do you know any pilgrims that would back your statement?
    Perhaps in his first spell but now 2nd. They had to suffer Williamson also.
    Going to hibs would certainly test anyone's health. next

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Why would jj be cheaper? o'neill is out of contract too but has less experience so would likely be the cheaper of the too.
    O'Neil would want to bring in his own assistant Billy Brown is already on the books

Quote Originally Posted by hibiedude View Post
    O'Neil would want to bring in his own assistant Billy Brown is already on the books
    How do you know that, iirc o'neill changed his assistant a few months ago after a pretty public fall out so he's not got one long term right hand man he'd want to bring in. Considering his lack of experience at a bigger club it'd make absolute sense to have an experienced assistant that's already at the club

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

How do you know that, iirc o'neill changed his assistant a few months ago after a pretty public fall out so he's not got one long term right hand man he'd want to bring in. Considering his lack of experience at a bigger club it'd make absolute sense to have an experienced assistant that's already at the club
    Surly his lack of experience at a bigger club “you mention” makes him unsuitable for the Hibs job, and like you I’m guessing O’Neil would want to bring people he has worked with before.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Cant see them hiring an inexperienced manager this time. They must know that the club needs someone who has been there and done it and wont take any crap. Im probably in the minority but id take FJK

Surly his lack of experience at a bigger club “you mention” makes him unsuitable for the Hibs job, and like you I’m guessing O’Neil would want to bring people he has worked with before.
    Nope as i said on another thread, (or maybe this one) i don't want an experienced manager.

Any experienced manager we go for will have failed somewhere else so what makes everyone think they won't fail again with us the same way CC is experienced but failed? I want us to go for a young enthusiastic ambitious manager that will bring an energy and determination to succeed and has only ever been a success wherever they've been and not someone counting down the days until retirement that doesn't really care if they are a success as even if they fail they've got a previous reputation they can live off.

You stated he would want to bring his own man in as number two, i pointed out that might not be the case.

I believe Hibs will interview 4 for this post

O'Neil
    Jeffries
    Brown
    J Calderwood

Interviews to start Wednesday but JJ seems to be slight Fav ahead of O'Neil forget the rest, this might go down to money hence the reason JJ is Fav

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...is-chance.html
    Is that really the best Rodders puppets could come up with .. heaven help us!

Has to be MON for me from that list. Where's McCall? Bollan? Others from dann saff?

I have spoke to Paul he told me he was approached about the job before Mcliesh got it and sounded out for every other vacancy he told me he could not work with that man !!! i think he meant the Tache

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    Cant see them hiring an inexperienced manager this time. They must know that the club needs someone who has been there and done it and wont take any crap. Im probably in the minority but id take FJK
    Aye, cos he was a blinding success turning round a struggling Bradford side, or arresting the slide hearts were on when they won something like one game out of his last 20 with hearts and he did a terrific job of turning Killie from bottom six also rands into a team challenging to get into the top six.

Sorry for the sarcy response but this FJK love in on this board is a nonsense, he's an average manager thats only ever done well with hearts for a short period of time when spending way more than his competitors.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    As said I would have no problem if JJ became the new manager provided he done a good job and got us back up the league playing good football.

It dose'nt bother me one jot he was once the Manager of hearts- there's thread asking when hearts go t1ts up what players would we take so how is it different with JJ ?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    Is that really the best Rodders puppets could come up with .. heaven help us!

Has to be MON for me from that list. Where's McCall? Bollan? Others from dann saff?
    I think we both know thats a guess list and not really the only people we'll be interested in

Left by mutual consent!
    I know for a fact we tried to get Sturrock when Blobby was the manager around 2003/4 though someone has said he has tried for him twice but dunno when the other time was. Plan was to sack Blobby and install Sturrock so knowing this, it is interesting that though clubs would never admit it, when things aren't going well moves definitely go on behind the scenes for a replacement whilst the current manager is in post.

With this in mind, the board will already have an idea of who their preferred candidate(s) are.

If I am being honest, much as it pains me to say it, given that BB is already at ER JJ would be the obvious choice. I'd go as far to say that if he had done the job he has with Hearts with any other non old firm club and was available in the same circumstances as he is now, no compo etc, he would already have been unveiled as boss. Taking the Hearts thing aside, he is probably the best candidate for us right now.

Not popular either but Jimmy Calderwood's record stands up well. Has a track record of avoiding relegation (useful for us at this momement) and also consistently reaching the top half of the table.

Stuart McCall would maybe be worth a shot but is it worth paying compo for him? Would be a gamble to appoint him on the strength of just one year at Motherwell. I'm not familiar with his track record down south. Do like him though in terms of way he handles the media.

Michael O'Neil may turn out to be a dynamic and forward thinking young manager who we miss the boat on but I'd like to avoid giving him the job as I don't think he is what we need right now. We need experience.

If Derek McInnes has still been at St Johnstone no doubt some would be shouting for him but to be honest what has he really done anyway. Brought a team up from the first division, established them in the SPL and has them challenging for the top 6, has done well in the cup competitions. Sounds all too like a CV of one of our recent managerial appointments....

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post
    I know for a fact we tried to get Sturrock when Blobby was the manager around 2003/4 though someone has said he has tried for him twice but dunno when the other time was. Plan was to sack Blobby and install Sturrock so knowing this, it is interesting that though clubs would never admit it, when things aren't going well moves definitely go on behind the scenes for a replacement whilst the current manager is in post.

With this in mind, the board will already have an idea of who their preferred candidate(s) are.

If I am being honest, much as it pains me to say it, given that BB is already at ER JJ would be the obvious choice. I'd go as far to say that if he had done the job he has with Hearts with any other non old firm club and was available in the same circumstances as he is now, no compo etc, he would already have been unveiled as boss. Taking the Hearts thing aside, he is probably the best candidate for us right now.

Not popular either but Jimmy Calderwood's record stands up well. Has a track record of avoiding relegation (useful for us at this momement) and also consistently reaching the top half of the table.

Stuart McCall would maybe be worth a shot but is it worth paying compo for him? Would be a gamble to appoint him on the strength of just one year at Motherwell. I'm not familiar with his track record down south. Do like him though in terms of way he handles the media.

Michael O'Neil may turn out to be a dynamic and forward thinking young manager who we miss the boat on but I'd like to avoid giving him the job as I don't think he is what we need right now. We need experience.

If Derek McInnes has still been at St Johnstone no doubt some would be shouting for him but to be honest what has he really done anyway. Brought a team up from the first division, established them in the SPL and has them challenging for the top 6, has done well in the cup competitions. Sounds all too like a CV of one of our recent managerial appointments....
    CC was experienced and Mowbray wasnt but i know who i think was the better manager.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Nope as i said on another thread, (or maybe this one) i don't want an experienced manager.

Any experienced manager we go for will have failed somewhere else so what makes everyone think they won't fail again with us the same way CC is experienced but failed? I want us to go for a young enthusiastic ambitious manager that will bring an energy and determination to succeed and has only ever been a success wherever they've been and not someone counting down the days until retirement that doesn't really care if they are a success as even if they fail they've got a previous reputation they can live off.

You stated he would want to bring his own man in as number two, i pointed out that might not be the case.
    I think that’s were we differ because only experience is going to get us out of this mess-if we bring in another dud at this stage and it doesn’t work we’ll almost certainly be playing 1st division football next season.

The assistant you talk about that O’Neil fell out with was 9 weeks ago but Jim Magilton is filling the gap at this moment in time so O’Neil definitely wouldn’t bring him on board?

Left by mutual consent!
    CC was experienced and Mowbray wasnt but i know who i think was the better manager.
    True, what I really mean and perhaps what my post should have read is experienced in terms of the SPL. Not always requirements and doesn't always work out but I think right now it is what we need.

We have had managers who have SPL experience and it hasn't worked out but I think most of our recent managers have been in their early 40s. In fact all off our managers in the last 15 years have been in or around this age bracket.

Time now to go for someone a bit older, it is worth a shot giving a wise head in his 50s or even early 60s a chance. We have done the younger manager thing to death.

I think that’s were we differ because only experience is going to get us out of this mess-if we bring in another dud at this stage and it doesn’t work we’ll almost certainly be playing 1st division football next season.

The assistant you talk about that O’Neil fell out with was 9 weeks ago but Jim Magilton is filling the gap at this moment in time so O’Neil definitely wouldn’t bring him on board?
    I don't think Magilton would see himself as a long term assistant manager to MoN, i don't know that for fact though, your post suggested it was fact that MoN would want his own man, i just pointed out an alternative view as none of us know.

CC was experienced and was a success at at Northanpton, improved Nottingham forest from when he first took them over and was considered one of the better assistant managers down south so what makes you sure an 'experienced manager' would be a success this time?

If you can tell me an experienced manager that would come to us thats been universaly popular wherever he's been i'll hold my hands up and agree with you, however i think what you'll come up with is names of average managers that only have experience of mediocrity or failed elsewhere, therefore just as likely to fail with us as an inexperienced manager that just might potentially be a brilliant manager the way Mowbrey was for the club.

An experienced old fart keeping us in the division is not going to bring the fans back to the club long term, we need someone with an energy that'll capture the imagination of the fans and players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post
    True, what I really mean and perhaps what my post should have read is experienced in terms of the SPL. Not always requirements and doesn't always work out but I think right now it is what we need.

We have had managers who have SPL experience and it hasn't worked out but I think most of our recent managers have been in their early 40s. In fact all off our managers in the last 15 years have been in or around this age bracket.

Time now to go for someone a bit older, it is worth a shot giving a wise head in his 50s or even early 60s a chance. We have done the younger manager thing to death.
    I'll just agree to disagree with you then.

I think appointing someone for the short term just to keep us in the division would be a long term disaster for the club.

I wouldn't be against the idea of an older head like Alex Miller to oversee the whole football operation but i'd want a younger ambitious manager to take charge of the first team

Coaching Staff
    I'll just agree to disagree with you then.

I think appointing someone for the short term just to keep us in the division would be a long term disaster for the club.

I wouldn't be against the idea of an older head like Alex Miller to oversee the whole football operation but i'd want a younger ambitious manager to take charge of the first team
    Interesting you mention him bingo, I met his boys on Saturday night. Lovely lads, still hold Hibs in high regard. Told me an interesting story about when Alex and Greg were in Japan (Greg went across as an Asst after doing his badges). Owner across there was signing players behind their backs etc and meddling.

Anyway, long story short Alex reckons Hibs are set up absolutely perfectly and it would be a dream job. When I asked tongue in cheek if his dad would apply, there was no tongue in cheek response........it was a very definite 'yes, he'd jump at it'.

Not what we need IMHO, but they were good lads as ever and hoped Hibs improve and get success.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

I don't think Magilton would see himself as a long term assistant manager to MoN, i don't know that for fact though, your post suggested it was fact that MoN would want his own man, i just pointed out an alternative view as none of us know.

CC was experienced and was a success at at Northanpton, improved Nottingham forest from when he first took them over and was considered one of the better assistant managers down south so what makes you sure an 'experienced manager' would be a success this time?

If you can tell me an experienced manager that would come to us thats been universaly popular wherever he's been i'll hold my hands up and agree with you, however i think what you'll come up with is names of average managers that only have experience of mediocrity or failed elsewhere, therefore just as likely to fail with us as an inexperienced manager that just might potentially be a brilliant manager the way Mowbrey was for the club.

An experienced old fart keeping us in the division is not going to bring the fans back to the club long term, we need someone with an energy that'll capture the imagination of the fans and players.
    First off there is only a certain type of manager that Hibs will attract and that’s due to money and the state the club finds itself in. What manager would come to us that has been universally popular knowing he could get 4 times the salary elsewhere and play at a better level?

And getting the Fans back isn’t the main priority it’s getting us safe without the threat of relegation

The manager we need should have SPL experience because Hibs don’t play in any other league.
    Last edited by hibiedude; 08-11-2011 at 08:18 AM.

First off there is only a certain type of manager that Hibs will attract and that’s due to money and the state of the club finds itself in. What manager would come to us that has been universally popular knowing he could get 4 times the salary elsewhere and play at a better level?

And getting the Fans back isn’t the main priority it’s getting us safe without the threat of relegation

The manager we need should have SPL experience because Hibs don’t play in any other league.
    The first question proves my point, a young manager that's done well with other clubs and is on their way up.

The two go hand in hand, we start to play well, we'll win games and fans will come back, remember it's only just turned november, lets not get too worried about the threat of relegation just yet, few being a bit dramatic on this subject IMO.

Yogi had SPL experience and he wasnae much cop IMO.

Still not seen my question answered though, any experienced manager we could get will have failed somewher else so what makes them less likely to fail than a young manager thats only ever been a success? (especially considering we've just had an absolute disaster of an appointment of an experienced manager)

First off there is only a certain type of manager that Hibs will attract and that’s due to money and the state the club finds itself in. What manager would come to us that has been universally popular knowing he could get 4 times the salary elsewhere and play at a better level?

I think plenty of managers will be attracted to an annual salary of £285k

Coaching Staff

Not really true. The Hibs manager position is well paid and will attract huge interest, from experienced heads to rookies. Managers out the game get impatient being away from it, hence it's the job and the profile that will also attract them, not just the salary. I often see people citing Peter Reid as a possible candidate...........he went from managing an EPL club to managing one that was hours from extinction where players went unpaid for months. That is because he has a genuine love, passion and desire for the game and to get on the training pitch. I can't imagine Plymouth being anywhere near Sunderland on salary terms, can you ? He went to Leeds when they were hugely in debt and near administration.........I suppose he is seen as the football Red Adair Would you say he is a good candidate ?

I think we would all be pleasantly surprised at the calibre of people who apply for SPL jobs. But we don't decide who is on the shortlist, the Board do.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Decent thread without the usual hyper nonsense.
    One thing this thread proves is that whoever and I really mean whoever gets the gig it will just be a punt likeany other appointment made anywhere in the game by any club.
    Who would like the job of taking that punt? Not I.