hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

John Collins on Hibs

The former Monaco and Fulham man said: "There can only be one boss at any football club and the main man has always got to be the manager - not the chairman or the directors or the chief executive.
    "The most important person at any football club is the manager and he has got to be in total control of every football aspect, every decision that is made - what coaches come and go, what scouts come and go. I don't know if that has been the case at Hibs in the last few years."
    From STV.news.

I wonder what on earth he could mean?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Another one who should shut his puss.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The former Monaco and Fulham man said: "There can only be one boss at any football club and the main man has always got to be the manager - not the chairman or the directors or the chief executive.
    "The most important person at any football club is the manager and he has got to be in total control of every football aspect, every decision that is made - what coaches come and go, what scouts come and go. I don't know if that has been the case at Hibs in the last few years."
    From STV.news.

He's probably right in principle but a lot of football "aspects", including the ones he's used as examples, also have a business/financial aspect to them.

I liked Collins and I wish he was still manager, but I don't believe he left the club because somebody was interfering with decisions which were purely related to football.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Probably means that when you are dropping off the football radar you will do or say anything to draw attention to yourself.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    WTF for???

Personally I'm always interested in the POV of ex-managers who retain an interest in Hibs - it's true that Yogi maybe over indulges in that respect but you can't really say that for Collins.

Besides - unlike Yogi, Collins signed no confidentiality agreement to my knowledge so is under no compunction to "shut his pus" whatsoever!

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    He speaks a lot of sense does our JC, unlike the last manager in the ER hotseat.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    He speaks a lot of sense does our JC, unlike the last manager in the ER hotseat.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    WTF for???

Personally I'm always interested in the POV of ex-managers who retain an interest in Hibs - it's true that Yogi maybe over indulges in that respect but you can't really say that for Collins.

Besides - unlike Yogi, Collins signed no confidentiality agreement to my knowledge so is under no compunction to "shut his pus" whatsoever!
    He's gone. He has no need to comment.

Same as Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    From STV.news.

He says he dosent know so I would imagine if he did know he would then say so.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    I agree with JC to an extent but there is no way that the most important person at the club is the manager. It's a TEAM organisation. It only works (properly) when all the moving parts mesh well with one another. It's like saying that the engine is the most important part of a car. I think the wheels might have something to say about that.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    He says he dosent know so I would imagine if he did know he would then say so.
    I would say he does know, but is too frightened to say anything, as it would make him look stupid. Yet another who says a little bit of nothing, whats the problem John, just tell us?

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I would say he does know, but is too frightened to say anything, as it would make him look stupid. Yet another who says a little bit of nothing, whats the problem John, just tell us?
    I agree G. If there is a major problem that s prohibiting us moving forward on the football front spit it out man.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    If the CEO left the manager to decide what the budget was for players and wages I would think that most clubs would be in the same position that Rangers and Hearts are in just now! Thankfully I dont think our club allows the manager that much freedom.

Did we oust any coaches or scouts while JC was the boss, if so, perhaps the point he is making is that he, or one of the managers since him, have seen someone leave they wanted to keep on because the CEO thought differently?

I dont think he's frightened of anything BH so I suspect he's not really got much to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    If the CEO left the manager to decide what the budget was for players and wages I would think that most clubs would be in the same position that Rangers and Hearts are in just now! Thankfully I dont think our club allows the manager that much freedom.

Did we oust any coaches or scouts while JC was the boss, if so, perhaps the point he is making is that he, or one of the managers since him, have seen someone leave they wanted to keep on because the CEO thought differently?

Did he not bring in Gareth Evans who is still here?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I agree G. If there is a major problem that s prohibiting us moving forward on the football front spit it out man.
    Personally i feel its all about appointing the right manager. I could manage us if the club would give me unlimited funds as Collins wanted.

If Petrie is not giving the managers support, tell us. If Petrie is telling managers who they can or cant bring in tell us? FFS man up ya bunch of pricks, tell the story or stop whining about it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Totally agree with this, I'm fed up of the innuendo from the managers - if the board are a significant problem and are actually hindering the manager, then we need to know so that we can make informed decisions to act (or not!) on the info.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol

i would have listened to the guy if he was successful at his next job witch he wasn't so he is just another sour person talking about our beloved club.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Well said Johnny Collins.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol

collins : on bbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15450534.stm

s
    aying we need to attack from the off and that teams lose when they sit back against the old firm.

ivans hat trick was all counter attack and the 3-0 last season was mostly counter attack.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Well said Johnny Collins.
    It's not really well said, though. It's not even well implied!

If he's got a gripe and thinks there are genuine problems, then he should go the whole hog and spit it out. Coming out with wee nod and a wink statements helps nobody.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Personally i feel its all about appointing the right manager. I could manage us if the club would give me unlimited funds as Collins wanted.

Scary thought but pretty much.

If Petrie is not giving the managers support, tell us. If Petrie is telling managers who they can or cant bring in tell us? FFS man up ya bunch of pricks, tell the story or stop whining about it.

Again there seems to be plenty players coming and going so while we may not be spending Zillions we appear to be supporting each and every incumbent.

The bit in bold again

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar

Under JC we took in more money in that period than any other manager so what JC was after would have been relative to the income surely??

I may be wrong but the only players I can remember JC being after for Gow, Hammell and Naismith with only the latter being pie in the sky.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

If he's got a gripe and thinks there are genuine problems, then he should go the whole hog and spit it out. Coming out with wee nod and a wink statements helps nobody.
    If he is ever wanting to go back into management I dont think going the whole hog and ripping into chairmen and CEO's etc will make him that appealing for any chairman etc looking to appoint a manager. Your right in that what he says doesnt clear anything up but remember he has probably been asked a question about it, what can he say? No comment? then everyone will rip into him saying whats going on there then. He could lie and say everything is rosey and the way hibs work is the correct way or he could leave it open for people to make their own interpretation.

Under JC we took in more money in that period than any other manager so what JC was after would have been relative to the income surely??

I may be wrong but the only players I can remember JC being after for Gow, Hammell and Naismith with only the latter being pie in the sky.
    Barry robson was another. He *****ed just under 1m on players we got nothing from either on the park or in fees. Instead of saying nothing but insinuating lots, why won't he and the others man up and spill the beans if its so bad they still feel aggrieved?

Totally agree with this, I'm fed up of the innuendo from the managers - if the board are a significant problem and are actually hindering the manager, then we need to know so that we can make informed decisions to act (or not!) on the info.
    There obviously is a problem with the structure of the club. The three previous managers wouldn't keep implying/alluding/innuendo....ing that there is if there wasn't.

We've all heard the stories about scouts reporting direct to members of the Board, signings being instigated by Board members and so on so it doesn't come as any great surprise.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    There obviously is a problem with the structure of the club. The three previous managers wouldn't keep implying/alluding/innuendo....ing that there is if there wasn't.

We've all heard the stories about scouts reporting direct to members of the Board, signings being instigated by Board members and so on so it doesn't come as any great surprise.

Is that what Collins said?

Gow moved to Rangers and also had an offer from Wolves so he was pie in the sky too.

Unless he's retiring from the game you know he can't!