hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reality Checking

I've defended CC since the first dissenters canvassed his removal. My view is that he only started to manage his own team from Aug having taken on the worst squad I've witnessed at ER since Duffy. The windows mean that he can't complete the cultivation of his own squad until the summer. I'm not saying he will defo get it right but he certainly should be allowed a decent crack at it. Judge him at the end of the season not on the back of record that includes results achieved with the likes of Hart, Nish, Miller, McBride et al. As for the 'rumours' re his removal and other nonsense I'd advise people to ignore as anyone who does know anything usually do the grown up thing and not post it on here. These gems of wisdom only undermine the club and individuals and get some people very excited. Let's get real and get behind our guys. I believe we are making progress. Bringing in BB was a very shrewd peace of business and 4 points from 2 away games v STM and Celtic is not bad. We've had too many managers in recent years so just give him and the club a decent chance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've defended CC since the first dissenters canvassed his removal. My view is that he only started to manage his own team from Aug having taken on the worst squad I've witnessed at ER since Duffy. The windows mean that he can't complete the cultivation of his own squad until the summer. I'm not saying he will defo get it right but he certainly should be allowed a decent crack at it. Judge him at the end of the season not on the back of record that includes results achieved with the likes of Hart, Nish, Miller, McBride et al. As for the 'rumours' re his removal and other nonsense I'd advise people to ignore as anyone who does know anything usually do the grown up thing and not post it on here. These gems of wisdom only undermine the club and individuals and get some people very excited. Let's get real and get behind our guys. I believe we are making progress. Bringing in BB was a very shrewd peace of business and 4 points from 2 away games v STM and Celtic is not bad. We've had too many managers in recent years so just give him and the club a decent chance.
    I've been vehemently against Calderwood since the get-go but have to say that after watching yesterdays performance there is clearly something there. A large part of this is probably the low expectation created over his reign and the fact that i've completely stopped going and hacevnt had to sit through the recent horror shows but I was very impressed with the team spirit yesterday. With a little more spark up front who knows. Osborne was terrific in the centre of the park.
    So, in short, I have to agree. Probably BB is making the difference so the partnership needs time.

Blog Entries
    Next 4 matches are important as they will either confirm progress (which I think will happen) and give us a cushion over those fighting at the bottom and get us into the fight for Euro spots......or we fail to get 8 + points and will be looking more than awkward for us.

We need stability and the opportunity to see the fruits of work to transform the squad...

Ozzy as an example was mooted as being good and we would see this when fit (I thought from the off that there was a good player in there..he has that relaxed style that some black players / sportsmen have that makes them look as if they are not giving full measure..which i think is incorrect)..I think last few games we are seeing a player that can actually infuence matches and run the middle of the park.

Players such as Griffiths have shown that loan deals can work for us and pace which we have lacked for seasons can make such a difference...I want to see what other deals being worked on for Jan can be done rather than chucking these away to start all over again with another manager....
    Last edited by down-the-slope; 30-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.

W
    A post actually steeped in reality. Could not agree more. It's not been easy and its sometimes been awful to watch but the scale of the re build is huge and the transfer windows don't help the speed of that job.

I think its interesting that this young team seemed to be more relaxed away from er and the bad vibes which pour from the stands at any set back.

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    W

A post actually steeped in reality. Could not agree more. It's not been easy and its sometimes been awful to watch but the scale of the re build is huge and the transfer windows don't help the speed of that job.

I think its interesting that this young team seemed to be more relaxed away from er and the bad vibes which pour from the stands at any set back.

But definitely not suprising.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Would love to agree but can't unfortunately. I have defended CC too: ridding us of the disease within the player ranks, looking forward to him building his own side, our flash in the pan in Feb; and getting past the relegation issue last season. However, I just simply don't see it! Too many players lack fitness, motivation and direction and simple football basics. CC is a nice guy but not a Hibs manager.

We are a club in crisis from the directors through to the fans... Although there is no quick fix and consistency is the key, we are bumbling along looking as though its OK! Not for me and now thousands of others who have simply given up.

Shame really.

I've defended CC since the first dissenters canvassed his removal. My view is that he only started to manage his own team from Aug having taken on the worst squad I've witnessed at ER since Duffy
    Worst squad since Duffy? I would agree he inherited a very poor group but not that bad. (Strangely many on here were bashing Yogi because he was faiuling to get results with the best squad in the SPL outside of the Old Firm. ) I hope he does have the team producing a string of decent results but I am not convinced at all that he has the mindset of a genuine winner. His after match comment yesterday that he wasn't ''greedy enough'' to be dissapointed at not winning worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    W

That doesn't surprise me at all.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent!
    I disagree with much of what you say but it is well said. It was not the worst squad I have seen maybe you but not me, it was however up there with the worst. He firstly came in with the team not playing well and with a load of players who had contracts running out. Regardless of wether it was his players or not I saw nothing at all in anything he did with those players to suggest he is right.

We are now into a new season and what we have are a lot of players who have contracts running out and others who seem to be not that good. I do not see any progress we are still not that good apart from the odd game and we are heading for yet again upheaval with our better players at seasons end.

Hibs are in bad place and the signing policy will still have us in that place, I do not share your optomisim as 12mths is enough to change more than he has, we still have lots of bad players and our better ones run out of contract, exact same as last season.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 30-10-2011 at 09:26 AM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    I disagree with much of what you say but it is well said. It was not the worst squad I have seen maybe you but not me, it was however up there with the worst. He firstly came in with the team not playing well and with a load of players who had contracts running out. Regardless of wether it was his players or not I saw nothing at all in anything he did with those players to suggest he is right.

We are now into a new season and what we have are a lot of players who have contracts running out and others who seem to be not that good. I do not see any progress we are still not that good apart from the odd game and we are heading for yet again upheaval with our better players at seasons end.

Hibs are in bad place and the signing policy will still have us in that place, I do not share your optomisim as 12mths is enough to change more than he has, we still have lots of bad players and our better ones run out of contract, exact same as last season.
    Could you list the lots of bad players for us to agree or disagree with?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post

Which players are out of contract at the end of the season?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Which players are out of contract at the end of the season?
    Off the top of my head:

Pallson
    Agogo
    Sodje
    Brown
    Stack
    Stevenson
    Hart
    Towell
    O'Connor
    Leigh Griffiths (if his loan continues??)

Quite a few and very similar to last season.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Off the top of my head:

Pallson- Release
    Agogo - keep
    Sodje - release
    Brown- release
    Stack- keep
    Stevenson- release
    Hart- release
    Towell - sign
    O'Connor- sign
    Leigh Griffiths (if his loan continues??) - sign if possible
    My view

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Also Murray and Welsh out of contract?

Would love to agree but can't unfortunately. I have defended CC too: ridding us of the disease within the player ranks, looking forward to him building his own side, our flash in the pan in Feb; and getting past the relegation issue last season. However, I just simply don't see it! Too many players lack fitness, motivation and direction and simple football basics. CC is a nice guy but not a Hibs manager.

We are a club in crisis from the directors through to the fans... Although there is no quick fix and consistency is the key, we are bumbling along looking as though its OK! Not for me and now thousands of others who have simply given up.

Shame really.
    Who are the players that are lacking fitness? I'm getting a tad frustrated about this fitness issue, it's a complete load of bullocks
    made up byHibs fans and recycled every few days on the Hibs fans forums. Think it was Blackpool who pointed out that all the Hibs players will go through various tests regarding fitness, and anyone who isn't up to the fitness levels required will soon be found out by these tests.

Don't know if you were at Parkhead yesterday but in my opinion those players didn't look unfit.
    Last edited by BS44; 30-10-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by More Bills View Post
    Who are the players that are lacking fitness? I'm getting a tad frustrated about this fitness issue, it's a complete load of bullocks made up byHibs fans and recycled every few days on the Hibs fans forums. Think it was Blackpool who pointed out that all the Hibs players will go through various tests regarding fitness, and anyone who isn't up to the fitness levels required will soon be found out by these tests.Don't know if you were at Parkhead yesterday but in my opinion those players didn't look unfit.
    Spot on. There is no fitness issue at Hibs, imho.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by More Bills View Post
    Who are the players that are lacking fitness? I'm getting a tad frustrated about this fitness issue, it's a complete load of bullocks
    made up byHibs fans and recycled every few days on the Hibs fans forums. Think it was Blackpool who pointed out that all the Hibs players will go through various tests regarding fitness, and anyone who isn't up to the fitness levels required will soon be found out by these tests.

Don't know if you were at Parkhead yesterday but in my opinion those players didn't look unfit.
    No wasn't at Park Head but all the games I have seen at home games and on TV, the players appear to run out of steam quickly, don't chase as much as they should, some look over weight and for me, maybe not a fitness issue but lack a sense of urgency!

Left by mutual consent!

Shame really.
    If you've given up how would you know that they lack fitness?

Blog Entries
    If you've given up how would you know that they lack fitness?
    See above!

Coaching Staff
    Disagree. He didn't inherent an awful squad. One short on confidence yes, but getting a new manager was meant to sort all that. The players you mention mainly got 4th place and whilst Hart has been poor or injured its hardly a big issue to manage around. He's also has less actual football for Hibs than many of those who are being given time to gel.

Mixu wasn't finished, Hughes wasn't finished. Will CC be finished building a squad next summer? Doubt it. It just keeps going.

You need to manage what you have and he has failed with that.

He has has a great chance to clear out and he has signed around the same number of players as Hughes did.

How long did all the new players last August get before the manager ultimately went due to results? 8 or 9?

Sorry, I just don't see why different criteria is getting placed on judging this guy.

Left by mutual consent!
    No wasn't at Park Head but all the games I have seen at home games and on TV, the players appear to run out of steam quickly, don't chase as much as they should, some look over weight and for me, maybe not a fitness issue but lack a sense of urgency!
    Which ones appear overweight?

Must just be the home games they look unfit ,well they did the last time I was there .

Not that Im taking the radio commentators as verbatim but Gary O and Leigh were suppose to have hands on knees at 60 /65 Mins unfit was the comment passed .

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Disagree. He didn't inherent an awful squad. One short on confidence yes, but getting a new manager was meant to sort all that. The players you mention mainly got 4th place and whilst Hart has been poor or injured its hardly a big issue to manage around. He's also has less actual football for Hibs than many of those who are being given time to gel.

Mixu wasn't finished, Hughes wasn't finished. Will CC be finished building a squad next summer? Doubt it. It just keeps going.

You need to manage what you have and he has failed with that.

He has has a great chance to clear out and he has signed around the same number of players as Hughes did.

How long did all the new players last August get before the manager ultimately went due to results? 8 or 9?

Sorry, I just don't see why different criteria is getting placed on judging this guy.
    Don't get your logic here at all. You're saying on one hand that Hughes was too harshly judged, yet you want the current manager to be judged on the same too-harsh criteria?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cad View Post
    Must just be the home games they look unfit ,well they did the last time I was there .

Not that Im taking the radio commentators as verbatim but Gary O and Leigh were suppose to have hands on knees at 60 /65 Mins unfit was the comment passed .
    Our boys put in a power of graft. I'd rather have forwards giving their all than Stokes and Hooper who came off the park looking fit and fresh after contributing the square root of hee haw.

Unfit teams don't win cup ties on penalties after two hours of football.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    Off the top of my head:

Pallson
    Agogo
    Sodje
    Brown
    Stack
    Stevenson
    Hart
    Towell
    O'Connor
    Leigh Griffiths (if his loan continues??)

To be fair most of the players out of contract are stop gap signings, Agogo and Sodje are in there 30s not exactly going to get any better. The rest are decent stop gaps except O'Connor and Stack who will probably end up on longer deals.

Blog Entries
    Which ones appear overweight?
    What? You can't tell? Good grief!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'm sorry, but I've got a season ticket and have seen the team a fair bit this season, and I couldn't point to any of them that are overweight.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Name names then. Who is the fatties and who are the players that don't look fit?

Maybe the fatties "lack motivation"; they are peed off since we stopped the pre match meals.
    Last edited by BS44; 30-10-2011 at 02:37 PM.

I think any defence of Hughes is misplaced. From the start of 2010 the football at ER was dire. We had won 'lucky' in the early part of the season and the te then got found out. Liam Miller was by far the most overrated lightweight biggest Billy Bigshot I've seen in a Hibs shirt. I actually predicted he'd do a Brebner and end up in Oz. Witness Hughes' other signings/favoured players career progression. McBride. Struggling to make a start at Hamilton. Rankin. Now being found out at United. Nish. Nough said. Hogg. Emptied by ICT then taken back on a short term. The fact JH hasn't worked since tells it's own story. As I say CC may not work out but I don't believe he's had a fair chance.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I thought GOC and Agogo were possibly overweight at the start of the season but IMO they've worked hard to sort this.

So I'm afraid you will have to enlighten us.

Good OP, and I agree. I think recent weeks have been better but we need to get a settled team and some consistency. The first half of Well, and second on Wednesday will never do.

St Mirren and yesterday seems to me to there's decent ability, desire and fight. Long may it continue.

Looking forward we need 3 points this Saturday - it is a must win game.