hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Stephens

Stephens

Sounds mad after this second half defensive shambles but i dont think hes done much wrong. If anything hes looked like the experienced one alongside Hanlon and Murray, who have been terrible this half.

As for Palsson, a total ****ing disgrace for both his play and attitude. The boy does not give a ****. Drop him now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds mad after this second half defensive shambles but i dont think hes done much wrong. If anything hes looked like the experienced one alongside Hanlon and Murray, who have been terrible this half.

As for Palsson, a total ****ing disgrace for both his play and attitude. The boy does not give a ****. Drop him now.
    Never mind dropping him. Send him back. He might be good enough for Liverpool reserves but he is not good enough for Hibs.
    ​#PERSEVERED

I'd pick him ahead of O'Hanlon all day long
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar

I would agree, Stephens did very little wrong. And on a night that involved such a spectacular collapse, that has to count as praise.

Coaching Staff
    Stephens deserves a more regular game ahead of some of the others.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Never mind dropping him. Send him back. He might be good enough for Liverpool reserves but he is not good enough for Hibs.
    Send him back where? We own him.

Testimonial Due
    I thought he was very good tonight. The problem with him to date has been he plays one really good game, followed by two really bad ones. I know that is the reality with younger players but hopefully he can take some confidence from tonights game which will stand him in good stead as and when he comes into the picture this season.

@hibs.net private member
    He did well tonight. I would play him and O Hanlon. Murray was run ragged tonight by Hooper.

Clutching at straws.

Stephens was ok but O'Hanlon's leadership was badly missed as Murray and Hanlon didn't provide any.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby 2005 View Post
    Clutching at straws.

Stephens was ok but O'Hanlon's leadership was badly missed as Murray and Hanlon didn't provide any.
    Having a shaved heid doesn't mean you're a leader. O'Hanlon might look like the part, but he sure doesn't play it, and he's an awful footballer and defender.

Coaching Staff
    Clutching at straws.

He is one of my favorite Hibs players in recent years but I'm starting to hope that Murray might consider retiring this year.

You can see he is limited physically by his various injuries over the years. He's determined and of all of the players, you simply cannot dispute his commitment. However, he just looks like he's playing through it and I worry that will make things worse he gets a lot older.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Having a shaved heid doesn't mean you're a leader. O'Hanlon might look like the part, but he sure doesn't play it, and he's an awful footballer and defender.
    In a nutshell
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    In a nutshell
    I agree with you on O'Hanlon, an awful defender. Yet this is a player Calderwood went after, he apparently wanted him for a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I agree with you on O'Hanlon, an awful defender. Yet this is a player Calderwood went after, he apparently wanted him for a number of years.
    Confuses the hell out of me too G
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Confuses the hell out of me too G
    ..and me.

I've said this before but his signing was what has made me lose faith in CC.

An ex international defender watches this guy on a number of occasions and thinks "this is the guy to sort out our defence and help bring Paul Hanlon on". Words fail me and his absence tonight saved him being undressed all night by the movement and skill of the Celtic frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    ..and me.

I've said this before but his signing was what has made me lose faith in CC.

An ex international defender watches this guy on a number of occasions and thinks "this is the guy to sort out our defence and help bring Paul Hanlon on". Words fail me and his absence tonight saved him being undressed all night by the movement and skill of the Celtic frontline.
    O'Hanlon would have been less "undressed" than Hanlon or Murray were tonight and he wouldn't have given up the ghost quite so easily either.

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Nice move for the celts 4th goal...Offside anyone! Well done

Sorry not having agogo but if you play kids in defence you get kids ie school boy error's...
    i wish our manager was someone that had played in a World Cup or a Euro champs at center back, he'd defo sort the team out!

oops we have that guy and he's a ........................we'll done CC i hope the lads look good in training and sharp! it makes all the difference to us Hibees

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Mind, O'Hanlon was out for the best part of a year before he signed for us. In the couple of seasons prior to that CC was assistant at NUFC (& I doubt they were scouting a MK dons centre half). I reckon the guy CC was interested in was the O'Hanlon of 4 or 5 years ago and maybe he was a player back then but he aint impressed me so far. TBF not one of the bodies that make up our "defence" have. :boohoo:

I'd play Stephens with OHanlon ahead of Murray. Hanlon can play left back.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthamptonHibs View Post
    Nice move for the celts 4th goal...Offside anyone! Well done

Sorry not having agogo but if you play kids in defence you get kids ie school boy error's...
    i wish our manager was someone that had played in a World Cup or a Euro champs at center back, he'd defo sort the team out!

oops we have that guy and he's a ........................we'll done CC i hope the lads look good in training and sharp! it makes all the difference to us Hibees
    I'm sure it was Murray who made a hash of stepping out for off side. He clearly waited until the ball had been kicked before stepping out, you would not and should not expect that especially from an experienced player. Presumably the coaching staff have told them to play the off side but last night they got punished for it and could have been punished more because of it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    I'm sure it was Murray who made a hash of stepping out for off side. He clearly waited until the ball had been kicked before stepping out, you would not and should not expect that especially from an experienced player. Presumably the coaching staff have told them to play the off side but last night they got punished for it and could have been punished more because of it.
    Schoolboy defending, i'm used to it now.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I'd blame Murray and Hanlon for 3 of their goals last night

Palsson lost his marker for Stoke header but also played a part in the 1st goal by giving the game away!

Might be worth a try of O'Hanlon and Stephens on Saturday

I've allways thought stephens had something, time to give the lad a wee run, won't be any worse than nid imo

Clutching at straws.

To be honest i think we missed Stack's leadership more, not that you can blame Brown in anyway for the goals, just Stack seems to communicate a lot more with the defenders around him.
    just a thought, but that aside the attitude after Celtic scored their first goal was shocking from all players, totally surrendered!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    I'd blame Murray and Hanlon for 3 of their goals last night

Palsson lost his marker for Stoke header but also played a part in the 1st goal by giving the game away!

Might be worth a try of O'Hanlon and Stephens on Saturday
    My take on the goals would be -

First goal, Palsson conceded needless possession, great turn/skill by Forrest to create space, Hanlon (I think) can be excused due to the skill, however Nid can see what is coming with the cut inside and I think is slow to throw his body across. Again, wee bit unfair on both Hanlon and Nid, but totally needless from Palsson. And he had done that three times first half already.

Second goal, or me blame has to be Hanlon's for not closing down space, then once he sees a one-two being played he decides not to even make an effort tracking Forrest's inevitable run onto the return. How a pro fails to continually track and anticipate a telegraphed 'one-two' is beyond me. Very frustrating.

Third goal, great delivery from Ki, Palsson ends up going for a man already marked thus leaving Stokes free.

Fourth goal, we stopped defending from the front, long ball pumped forward and Nid was slow to react and mistimed his run out by a fraction. Great anticipation from Hooper though and sublime control and composure to finish. I think Hanlon, through luck more than anything, plays Hooper offside. Nid plays him on.

Having had time to reflect, I think Hibs were just blown away by better players and skill. First half was full of everything you want to see. Second half Celtic raised their game, and punished every little error we made. The third deflated us, but what worried me more was the reaction to the equaliser. At that point it is a minor set back in a game. You can instantly regroup and rely on the previous 45 minutes to instil belief. We then played like it was inevitable they would score next and win.

So for me, we lost the game due to a lack of leadership and strong belief in their ability. As all my non-supporting Hibs friends have said today......'your team played superb first half last night.....Celtic were awesome second though'. None of them thought Hibs were truly awful second half, just that Celtic raised the bar as they have done against other sides.

I genuinely don't think CC can be blamed for the result last night. He played an attacking formation, it worked splendidly for the first 45 minutes. The players then shot themselves in the foot. Not much you can do from the sidelines when that happens other than get very very frustrated in them.

As I said, that's the best 45 minutes we have played against the Old Firm at Easter Road for a long time, albeit Celtic had chances too. They played with belief and spirit. More of the same against the rest of the SPL and we will win a lot more games IMHO.

The defence needs replaced. Experienced blokes. Never rated Murray, I have to say.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Send him back where? We own him.
    I know. It was kind of, like, when you buy something that doesn't work like it should, you take it back to the shop and ask for your money back. That sort of thing.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Sale or return you mean

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    3rd goal murray did step out but even then, hanlon would have still been playing hooper onside as he was the deepest hibs defender,for me hanlon was at fault for at least the first 2, and had a part to play in the 4th