hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hibs12thMan
    Left by mutual consent!

Do you care about racism in football - Hibs v Well on Saturday?

After several weeks emailing and chasing the club to discuss the Fortnight of Action and Show Racism the Red Card actvity at Easter Road we finally managed a face to face meeting yesterday. There was a wider discussion across several initiatives but the most urgent topic was that Hibs revealed they have activities planned for Saturday

They made a suggestion that they could provide 30 red A4 cards to Hibs Supporters if we were willing to raise these pre-match at the same time as the players display. We are disappointed at the small number of cards supplied by the club but accept that times are hard and Hibs need to keep their money for players

We had proposed that Hibs have 2 teams of supporters (Hibs & Well) on the pitch to show unity with the players. However this request was ruled out as too short notice for matchday preparations. We will arrange
    these meetings with the club further in advance in future and ensure better organised activities next year.

What we are looking for is one supporter (or a group) in each section of the stadium who is willing to take a red card and stand at the foot of their section aisle near the pitch for a couple of minutes with their card raised. This will aim to show that we Hibs supporters back this campaign. It's all very well Hibs players holding up cards but the on-field activity is not the problem. We hear it in the stands and although not prevalent at Easter Road, you don't have to look too far to find it.

You could do this with a friend, bunch of mates or family group. We appreciate that it's short notice but hope that some of you might be up for volunteering a couple of minutes of your pre-match time for this very worthwhile cause on Saturday

PM's or posts welcome
    Last edited by Hibs12thMan; 12-10-2011 at 08:38 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibs12thMan
    Left by mutual consent!
    2 volunteers so far - keep them coming folks

It's activities like this that differentiates us Hibbies from the rest

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Good luck!

good luck and well done

no room for racism anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    good luck and well doneno room for racism anywhere
    Unless you happen to be a Muslim extremist, in which case you can fill your boots!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Unless you happen to be a Muslim extremist, in which case you can fill your boots!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Reid

Seriously though, good work!!

Thats v funny! good one! Do you think his shrinks name was Dr Marten?!!

He just had an evil sole

@hibs.net private member
    Embarrassing that the club will only strecth itself to 30 red cards. Could you generate enough cash/pledges in time to send someone down to Hobbycraft on Saturday morning to buy a few (hundred?) packs of these?

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/produ...ard_336157.htm

First Team Regular
    [QUOTE=Posh Swanny;2945581]Embarrassing that the club will only strecth itself to 30 red cards. Could you generate enough cash/pledges in time to send someone down to Hobbycraft on Saturday morning to buy a few (hundred?) packs of these?

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/produ...ard_336157.htm[
    /QUOTE]

Based on the above. Hibs have affectively contributed £4.47 to supporters with A4 red cards. Embarassing. They would be better not contributing at all than making themselves look so ridiculious. If there not going to make a worthwhile contribution, leave it to the supporters. 30 A4 bits of card!! unbelievable.

[QUOTE=HibeeDaz6270;2945602]
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Swanny View Post
    Embarrassing that the club will only strecth itself to 30 red cards. Could you generate enough cash/pledges in time to send someone down to Hobbycraft on Saturday morning to buy a few (hundred?) packs of these?

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/produ...ard_336157.htm[
    /QUOTE]

Based on the above. Hibs have affectively contributed £4.47 to supporters with A4 red cards. Embarassing. They would be better not contributing at all than making themselves look so ridiculious. If there not going to make a worthwhile contribution, leave it to the supporters. 30 A4 bits of card!! unbelievable.
    It's bizarrely bad, isn't it

£4.47.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeDaz6270 View Post
    [/QUOTE]

And they wonder why folk have a go at their PR, who is responsible for these decisions within the club?

Coaching Staff
    Sorry but times are tough and we are a football club that needs to concentrate on winning matches.

It's a worthy initiative of course but probably a bit down the list in terms of being a problem in the game here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Sorry but times are tough and we are a football club that needs to concentrate on winning matches.

It's a worthy initiative of course but probably a bit down the list in terms of being a problem in the game here.
    So you won't mind if i shout Heil Hitler and give a Nazi salute all through the game as long as were winning?
    or shout P.k.bar stool at anyone who may have an Asian background as long as are winning?
    how many times have you heard 'aye once one gets in, then they bring all their family to scrouge of us'

Hibs are a focal point in a community which is proud of its diversity, however racism is a big problem in that community. my community, your community.
    If Hibs can show that they support this and show folk that racism is not welcome in any shape or form at ER then we may get a more diverse support from a great diverse community in Edinburgh and beyond.

:cgwa

Can any buddy who lives near Easter Road lay there hands on a massive bit of board OR TWO OR MORE?

How about half a dozen HUGE cards?

That would work - No?

We could paint them red wi a message or cover them in red wallpaper and paint the message oan

Left by mutual consent!
    Or a gun-toting Christian extremist from Norway perhaps even? Oh, they're white northern european like 'us'.

Aye thats right, happens here all the ti..., oh no, it doesnae. Closest we've had is muppets from Ireland doing the damage on mainland soil, or the aforementioned extremists carrying out their business on TfL services. The bellend wi the nail bombs in Soho/Brick Lane can just be struck off as an individual mad man.

First Team Breakthrough Harpandcastle's Avatar
    Any chance of organising a zero tolerance day towards people who single out and abuse others purely because they play for Hibs? We have a far bigger problem with that at Easter Rd than racism.

So people either think:

1. Racism isn't an issue in Scottish football.

or

2. It isn't an issue at Easter Road.

or

3. It is an issue, but there are other things also worth protesting about and that they are reluctant to be manipulated into a futile and empty protest by those with a self-righteous agenda who are using this to showboat how right-on they are.

or

5. They are skint.

or

6. All or some of he above.

or

7...any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpandcastle View Post
    Any chance of organising a zero tolerance day towards people who single out and abuse others purely because they play for Hibs? We have a far bigger problem with that at Easter Rd than racism.
    We can do that

We can have an anti Racism display on Saturday, an anti-sectarianism protest against the Huns and a Zero Tolerance to abuse month

Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    So people either think:

or

or

3. It is an issue, but there are other things also worth protesting about and that they are reluctant to be manipulated into a futile and empty protest by those with a self-righteous agenda who are using this to showboat how right-on they are.

or

5. They are skint.

or

or

7...any others?
    8. The think it is a problem but are not willing to help.

Aye thats right, happens here all the ti..., oh no, it doesnae. Closest we've had is muppets from Ireland doing the damage on mainland soil, or the aforementioned extremists carrying out their business on TfL services. The bellend wi the nail bombs in Soho/Brick Lane can just be struck off as an individual mad man.

I might have picked your post up incorrectly, but are you suggesting that racism is not a problem at Easter Road?

I've just seen the other thread you've started. Are you being serious?

You're essentially undermining the long-sought-after anti-racism work which is now beginning to be undertaken in Scottish football with some irrelevant distractionary nonsense.

I've read a lot of your posts and you have always struck me as quite sensible, but your chat tonight could do with some explaining in the context of a thread like this.
    Last edited by Future17; 13-10-2011 at 11:38 PM.

hibs were founded by an immigrant

show racism and sectarianism the red card

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I might have picked your post up incorrectly, but are you suggesting that racism is not a problem at Easter Road?I've just seen the other thread you've started. Are you being serious? You're essentially undermining the long-sought-after anti-racism work which is now beginning to be undertaken in Scottish football with some irrelevant distractionary nonsense. I've read a lot of your posts and you have always struck me as quite sensible, but your chat tonight could do with some explaining in the context of a thread like this.
    I'm suggesting its a minor problem compared to sectarian issues in Scottish football.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs as a club are undermining the whole event by supplying 30 cards. If I had been at the meeting I would have walked out. Again pathetic from our club. To give a card to every fan coming through the turnstyle would have cost a few grand max and sent a massive message to everyone about hibs attitude towards racism. But sadly hibs don't think like that

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Hibs as a club are undermining the whole event by supplying 30 cards. If I had been at the meeting I would have walked out. Again pathetic from our club. To give a card to every fan coming through the turnstyle would have cost a few grand max and sent a massive message to everyone about hibs attitude towards racism. But sadly hibs don't think like that
    There's a load of social issues out there, some have a real impact on football itself, some don't.

The club do their thing to make clear that any type of anti social behaviour is unacceptable.

Yes we have some idiots in the crowd. Those same idiots are going to be idiots wherever they are and I don't think football can solve that for them.

Other than isolated idiots there isn't an inherent problem at hibs or in Scottish football and so whilst Hibs will of ciurse support it I can see why its down the list in terms of things to throw money at.

Social issues have their place and thir forums to be addreeesed and where things actually form part of the game then it has to be acted on and stamped out. Football isn't, however, something that needs to try and solve in herent issues in society. It's a game.

First Team Breakthrough Harpandcastle's Avatar
    There's a load of social issues out there, some have a real impact on football itself, some don't.

The club do their thing to make clear that any type of anti social behaviour is unacceptable.

Yes we have some idiots in the crowd. Those same idiots are going to be idiots wherever they are and I don't think football can solve that for them.

Other than isolated idiots there isn't an inherent problem at hibs or in Scottish football and so whilst Hibs will of ciurse support it I can see why its down the list in terms of things to throw money at.

Social issues have their place and thir forums to be addreeesed and where things actually form part of the game then it has to be acted on and stamped out. Football isn't, however, something that needs to try and solve in herent issues in society. It's a game.
    Agreed, I want Hibs limited finances to go 100% towards the operation and running of Hibernian Football Club. If organisations supply materials the club see fit and proper to distribute then all good and well, if that falls short of what some others would like then purchase more at your own cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    So people either think:

or

or

or

5. They are skint.

or

or

7...any others?
    Number 3 for me.

There's been plenty done about racism in football, to the extent that it's only a minor problem these days inside football grounds- and even then we all know we can report somebody if necessary. People waving red cards around aren't really going to have much of an effect on hard core racists IMO, and in fact to those of us who aren't racist anyway shows like this are just a bit naff to be honest.

The only thing I've heard at ER recently that some might consider borderline is the stuff about Sodje's manhood from 12thman/sect43/singing section/whatever it's called these days. Maybe representations need to be made between the parties concerned?

If Hibs provide a platform to allow folk to vent their prejudices then they have an obligation to, at least, make a token effort to ensure that everyone knows that it won't be tolerated, whether it is racism, sectarianism, homophobia or whatever. Spending a fiver on a pathetic number of cards is very much a 'token' effort.

I'm sure the Board could have chipped in £10 each to buy around 500 cards. Providing everyone with a card would have cost around £800 given how crap our crowds are. Yet again, the club's actions tell the story much better than the rehearsed sound-bites.