hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Well Played Scotland

<merge if you want....different topic>

Decent performance....up against the best side in the world.

I personally think that Levein is the man to take us forward and tonight was a great display.

Well done.

Every player played for the shirt. Can't really ask for more.

Simply outclassed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    He needs to take away his Yam/OF bias though.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey® View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I personally think that Levein is the man to take us forward and tonight was a great display.

Well done.

Simply outclassed.
    Don't agree re Levein. A negative, stubborn, narrow minded, average football manager. We should have been stick on for 12 points from Lithuania and Leichtenstein and say 2 points from Czech. What did we get 11 points, injury time winner against Leichstein at home, 6-4-0 formation and a grand total of 9 goals. He said measure me on my results - well Craigey boy there are truly average. HE HAS TO GO

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    4 6 0 says it all.

Clown

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Don't agree re Levein. A negative, stubborn, narrow minded, average football manager. We should have been stick on for 12 points from Lithuania and Leichtenstein and say 2 points from Czech. What did we get 11 points, injury time winner against Leichstein at home, 6-4-0 formation and a grand total of 9 goals. He said measure me on my results - well Craigey boy there are truly average. HE HAS TO GO
    - A negative, stubborn, narrow minded, average football manager - very accurate description but everyone in the media backs him and he'll probably lead us to our next total failure.

Well done.

Simply outclassed.

totally agree

we have a bit more to look forward to

He should go. This was was as easy a group as you get these days for the runner up place and he completely messed it up. Forget the WC14, a much tougher proposition, and Potter has had his shot.

Was pleased with tonight. No way we were going to beat them or even draw but a good amount of chances made and the players showed real passion.

We need a manager to take us back to the basics. Not a manager who tries to be "unique" and puts up right up the sh**ter.

Croatia
    Serbia
    Belgium
    Macedonia
    Wales

I'd say 4 of them would beat the Czech's at home and I'd say maybe 3, definitely 2 of them would finish above the Czech's if they were in our group. And while I'm aware we should have beaten them, we didn't. Simple as. Levein needs to go.

What gets me is how much of an easy ride he gets from the media compared to Burley and some other previous managers.

We were always going to get humped tonight, I'd like to think we showed enough in the 2nd half to make 4 4 2 the way forward tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    What gets me is how much of an easy ride he gets from the media compared to Burley and some other previous managers.
    nail on head. can u imagine jim traynor and co if burley had played a 4-6 0 formation

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    What he said....don't think I've ever seen such a gutless midfield with no dig what so ever, simply stood back and admired Spain's passing, I hated Souness as a hun but what I'd give to have someone of his calibre in midfield tonight, Fletcher?, silly wee laddie running around with a captains armband on, Potter out and Wattie Smith in please, pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    - A negative, stubborn, narrow minded, average football manager - very accurate description [U]but everyone in the media backs him and he'll probably lead us to our next total failure[/U].

Sadly you are so correct re him keeping his job

In reality it could have been 6/7 - 1 if Spain had taken their chances .

Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    Croatia
    Serbia
    Belgium
    Macedonia
    Wales
    Anyone could win the group, there is no outright dominant team.

Croatia - Modric, Krancjar
    Serbia - Vidic, Ivanovic
    Belgium - Lukaku, Hazard
    Macedonia - Pandev
    Wales - Bale, Ramsey

Just a few players each team has. Every team has players that would walk into our team so not going to be easy!

imo we have moved forward under levein.when he took over we were awful.the last couple of games has shown a big improvement. sacking levein is not the answer

we dont have souness etc to call on any more. we are getting players from the championship

you can only pee with the one youve got !

Well done.

Simply outclassed.
    Agree with everything in bold. Spain on that form would have murdered any other team in the world.

Levein is a massively dull Jambo bellend. 4-6-0 in Prague was one of the most depressing nights of my Scotland-watching career. God forbid I was one of those brave souls who'd paid a wedge of money to be there.

He won't get sacked or anything, cos that wasn't a humiliating campaign and the SFA is skint. He will take us to exactly 0 major tournaments though.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Anyone could win the group, there is no outright dominant team.

Croatia - Modric, Krancjar
    Serbia - Vidic, Ivanovic
    Belgium - Lukaku, Hazard
    Macedonia - Pandev
    Wales - Bale, Ramsey

Just a few players each team has. Every team has players that would walk into our team so not going to be easy!
    Anyone except Scotland. We can't win it, i'd put money on it.
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 11-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.

First Team Regular
    I agree Levein has made mistakes, but I think any manager would make mistakes. Definate improvements have been made, And sacking levein would be a waste of time in my opinion.We have to stick by a manager, Keep him there and hopefully we continue to progress.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post

Sadly you are so correct re him keeping his job

In reality it could have been 6/7 - 1 if Spain had taken their chances .
    I wouldnt expect anything else playing against the best team in the world. We had a few chances too. And if we were ever going to take something from the game, it wouldnt be from us outclassing them and stopping them from having chances, It would be simply us taking the few chances we had and them missing the numerous more chances they would have.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    Thought we played well tonight but Levein needs to grow up and phone S Fletcher and then get Gaz back in and then I'd be happy for him to stay in charge.
    It wasn't tonight that stopped us progressing it was the other results including the ridiculous 4-6-0 formation - CL blew it well before tonight.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

Well done.

Simply outclassed.
    Tonight's result is not the reason we didn't qualify. Our failure to finish 2nd is down to 2 things: (1) poor refereeing decisions in the Czech game at Hampden and (2) Negative tactics by the Manager in games we had to win. Regardless of the reasons, the bottom line is that we have failed to qualify (for the 7th consecutive tournament) from a group which apart from Spain, was mediocre and the Manager is partly responsible for the failure.

When we went 2 up front tonight we looked a decent side and created chances against the World & European Champions. Why we didn't have that formation against Lithuania away and the Czechs at home I find inexplicable as arguably they were the 2 most important fixtures in the campaign.

I don't think Scotland will qualify for a major tournament until we have a Manager who knows when to be positive in the fixtures that matter. I hope I'm proved to be wrong but I think we better prepare ourselves for more failure in the upcoming World Cup qualifying campaign if there is no change in Manager.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 11-10-2011 at 09:38 PM.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    I think Scotland actually have a fairly decent squad, and should at least be in the play offs.

Levein is a tool of the highest order. To ignore the likes of O'Connor and Fletcher was folly on his part. His tactics have left a lot to be desired in this competition. 4 6 0, what on earth???

**** him off now and lure either Walter Smith or perhaps Gordon Strachan.

Amazed at the support harry potter is getting here. The guy is a joke and the sooner the arrogant pr!ck goes the better for Scottish football. He will not admit when he fvks up - just spits the dummy out and storms out of interviews. We should have humped teams like Liechtenstein and at the very least taken 4 points from the Czechs not to mention full points against hearts select.
    We now have a fairly decent squad but until HP gets out of his own erse and picks players on merit (his words) we will not get any better.

Testimonial Due
    The guy is totally over rated...........Levin shuld go now.........he has had his chance now time to move on and give somebody else a chance..........he failed so he should quit........

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    He needs to take away his Yam/OF bias though.
    Has he though? If you look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotlan...#Current_squad, only 5 old firm players out of a squad of 25 doesn't suggest a bias. No hearts players either.

He does have failings, and it took him (and the team) a while to gel, which probably more than anything else cost us a place in the play offs.

He isn't going to get sacked, he isn't likely to quit/take another job. However, I think the squad is as good as it has been in a long time, especially in terms of potential.

If you're taking things purely on tonight's performance then yes Scotland did well and credit to Levein.

Unfortunately all the damage was done a year ago when we only got 1 point from a possible 6 in our opening two away games in Lithuania and Czech Republic.

Levein should have been "mutually consented" as soon as he announced THAT formation in Prague.

We were always going to be up against it tonight. We were playing one of the greatest international teams that there has ever been. We weren't eliminated because of tonight's results, it goes back to the opening match in Kaunas when we couldn't even score a single goal.

Looking forward, I actually think we should have a decent shot at qualifying from our World Cup group. It is one of only two groups that does not contain a group winner from the Euro 2012 qualification stage. I think Croatia will certainly be looking to top the group but Serbia and Belgium are beatable. They both dropped points at home in this campaign against sides that they would have expected to beat and I think if we want to be serious about qualification then we have to go at them in both matches.

As for Macedonia, the only team that they beat in their Euro 2012 campaign was Andorra (twice) who are one of the worst sides in Europe.

The surprise package in the group may end up being Wales, who put in a fairly impressive showing in their Euro 2012 campaign, finishing only 3 points away from the play-off place.

I think if the Scotland team was managed properly, we could finish 2nd in a lot of groups without too many problems. I'm just not certain that Craig Levein is the man to lead us there.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Unfortunately all the damage was done a year ago when we only got 1 point from a possible 6 in our opening two away games in Lithuania and Czech Republic.
    Partially correct, however if the referee in the game against the Czechs at Hampden had spotted the dive, we would have been in the playoffs. Levein has made mistakes, but we came close so he should be allowed to show that he has learned from them.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'd get rid of potter and bring back Smith. He might be a hun tosser, but he can get the best out of a team.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'd get rid of potter and bring back Smith. He might be a hun tosser, but he can get the best out of a team.
    THIS.

Old Walter might be a hun, but he picks the best players available no matter who they play for. He has his teams playing great football and is 10x the manager Levein will ever be.