hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hibs Books

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    ^^^^^ PS spot on. Lived in ignorance as it’s annual thickness sized and shaped. Not looked at it in years.
    I’ve found now that I’ve two copies if anyone is interested in one the spare.

I’ve another by Mike Wilson same era, same size and also annual shaped and entitled ‘Hibernian Greats’. Only got the one of those though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^^^^^ PS spot on. Lived in ignorance as it’s annual thickness sized and shaped. Not looked at it in years.
    I’ve found now that I’ve two copies if anyone is interested in one the spare.

I’ve another by Mike Wilson same era, same size and also annual shaped and entitled ‘Hibernian Greats’. Only got the one of those though.
    I know it’s boring being a HIBS nurd! 😁

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tynehibs View Post
    Trying to get a copy of sandy macnairs growing up in green expensive on Amazon etc. Presume its rare ?
    If you nip over to the Collectors Corner forum you’ll see a poster has stuck up a link to a run of 2016 Scottish Cup programmes.
    They’re gone, but a click on the sellers other items sees a copy of Growing Up In Green at a reasonable start price (and a damaged dust jacket copy of 100 Years of Hibs).
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 10-12-2018 at 06:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    If you nip over to the Collectors Corner forum you’ll see a poster has stuck up a link to a run of 2016 Scottish Cup programmes.
    They’re gone, but a click on the sellers other items sees a copy of Growing Up In Green at a reasonable start price (and a damaged dust jacket copy of 100 Years of Hibs).
    All mine 👍

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post
    As someone who buys and sells books I nearly bought a few of the Hibs books, but I couldn't bring myself to!

Glad they went to someone who will appreciate and look after them.
    As someone who also buys and sells books, it's given me a feeling of smug satisfaction to see a copy of 'Two Miles to Tynecastle', priced at a princely £1, sit on the shelf of a local charity shop for about the last 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    As someone who also buys and sells books, it's given me a feeling of smug satisfaction to see a copy of 'Two Miles to Tynecastle', priced at a princely £1, sit on the shelf of a local charity shop for about the last 5 years!
    Dunno still sounds a £1 too much 😁

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    There was someone on here a few weeks ago looking for " the making of Hibernian", book 3, did he get it?
    Yes, I did thanks to Conrad Gray - the very definition of "Hibs class". Thanks again, CG.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Dunno still sounds a £1 too much 😁
    The good people of Hereford obviously agree with you there Billy

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Tynehibs, don't know if you got any luck in that shop but just to let you know I spoke to Sandy last night - unfortunately, he no longer has any copies. He thought Blackwells might be worth a try just in case they still had a few for sale but he didn't sound optimistic!
    Sorry about the late reply but many thanks for your efforts

First Team Regular
    I just wanted to thank all of the Hibbies, many from this site, who purchased a copy of my book - i'm pleased to say it is now sold out, so you all have a collector's item on your hands :-)

Thanks again for your support, and i hope you enjoyed it.

On to the next one hopefully!

HIBS and The Pogues by Calum Bruce

During the current enforced three quarter season break I am currently reading and enjoying the above book by Calum Bruce

I almost missed this book on Amazon as I thought it was some obscure Pogues CD

It tells the biographical story of a Perth schoolboy supporting HIBS from afar and attending games home and away from circa 1980 onwards encompassing his love for The Pogues

I am not a big Pogues fan but he has a lot of great stories supporting HIBS that may appeal to HIBS supporters of a certain generation

Certainly a decent read for those looking for a HIBS fix to while away the time

Available on Amazon and EBay

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I was sorting out my collection last week - 37 titles and have The Hibs and The Pogues on E- book

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I was sorting out my collection last week - 37 titles and have The Hibs and The Pogues on E- book

Ha Ha!

Currently Reading Grumpy Gibby the West Stand Hibby

I thought Gordon Smith The Prince of Wingers by his son Tony Smith was an excellent read a real superstar from yesteryear and brought a tear to a glass eye

Ha Ha!

Currently Reading Grumpy Gibby the West Stand Hibby

I thought Gordon Smith The Prince of Wingers by his son Tony Smith was an excellent read a real superstar from yesteryear and brought a tear to a glass eye
    h

Reading this book at the moment and enjoying it.
    My mum as a kid lived 50 yards from Gordon's shop and pub and I managed to get a good and interesting conversation going with her about it last time we met. As those with parents in their 80's will attest that is not always easy!

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    h

Reading this book at the moment and enjoying it.
    My mum as a kid lived 50 yards from Gordon's shop and pub and I managed to get a good and interesting conversation going with her about it last time we met. As those with parents in their 80's will attest that is not always easy!

What about the books on the 2nd shelf? I have always had the same twin obsessions of Football and Music. Football from aged 7 and music from 16. Approaching 60 in the next month and nothing has changed.

The Stuart Cosgrove book Young Soul Rebels (along with his "Detroit 67) has been on my own book shelf for a long time but I haven't got round to reading it. Any good?
    Also see the Postcard Records book Simply Thrilled on your shelf. Was really into Postcard back in the day but it was short lived so didn't think their would be enough for a decent book. Any good?

You are also a keen Fall fan. I was never into them massively as a young guy and only owned a compilation but heard loads of sessions on the John Peel Show back in the day. Strangely I like them far more now than I did then. Coincidentally i regularly met up with and drank with Mark E Smith in Leith for a while until I reluctantly decided his habits were too dangerous for my career. Other factoid, a couple of years ago I played competitive table tennis on a number of occasions with one of The Fallen. An intense bloke he was and not surprised he ended fighting with the argumentative wind up artist that Smith was.

Her face lit up and suddenly she had lots to say. Told me about Gordon's dad who served in the shop, her dad drinking in The Right Wing, watching Gordon play for Hibs with her dad etc etc.
    Nothing startling but a good catalyst that led on to her speaking about going on the rowing boats with her sisters in St Margarets Loch in Holyrood Park which I was able to show her online photo's off.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 17-03-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Did you enjoy the Lawrie Reilly book so much that you bought a second copy? 😜

Got Jackie MacNamara Snr to sign my Bobby Johnstone book at Glasgow Airport and he recommended Lawrie Reillys biography as being an excellent read 😁

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Logie Green View Post
    Did you enjoy the Lawrie Reilly book so much that you bought a second copy? 😜
    Two Christmas gifts, and both personally signed from Lawrie so feels appropriate to keep both!

What about the books on the 2nd shelf? I have always had the same twin obsessions of Football and Music. Football from aged 7 and music from 16. Approaching 60 in the next month and nothing has changed.

The Stuart Cosgrove book Young Soul Rebels (along with his "Detroit 67) has been on my own book shelf for a long time but I haven't got round to reading it. Any good?
    Also see the Postcard Records book Simply Thrilled on your shelf. Was really into Postcard back in the day but it was short lived so didn't think their would be enough for a decent book. Any good?

You are also a keen Fall fan. I was never into them massively as a young guy and only owned a compilation but heard loads of sessions on the John Peel Show back in the day. Strangely I like them far more now than I did then. Coincidentally i regularly met up with and drank with Mark E Smith in Leith for a while until I reluctantly decided his habits were too dangerous for my career. Other factoid, a couple of years ago I played competitive table tennis on a number of occasions with one of The Fallen. An intense bloke he was and not surprised he ended fighting with the argumentative wind up artist that Smith was.
    I enjoyed Cosgroves book despite not being a Northern Soul aficionado or having any experience of the scene. I do enjoy the music though and this book painted a great picture of the scene through the eyes of a young Scot. If you had experience of the scene I’m sure you’d enjoy it even more. I’m aware of the Detroit ‘67 book and subsequent follow ups, but have yet to take a look at them. The Postcard book is not surprising very short, and that will largely be down the briefness of the period the label was active, but it’s a great read, albeit one not weighty enough that won’t see you through a period of self isolation. Some fantastic books on the Fall out there, and there is one on the bedside table I’m reading currently. Smith was certainly a character and seemed to enjoy his spell in Edinburgh, but unfortunately he seemed to look out for Hearts more than Hibs, but he was never one for following anything that was deemed cool..

Two Christmas gifts, and both personally signed from Lawrie so feels appropriate to keep both!

I enjoyed Cosgroves book despite not being a Northern Soul aficionado or having any experience of the scene. I do enjoy the music though and this book painted a great picture of the scene through the eyes of a young Scot. If you had experience of the scene I’m sure you’d enjoy it even more. I’m aware of the Detroit ‘67 book and subsequent follow ups, but have yet to take a look at them. The Postcard book is not surprising very short, and that will largely be down the briefness of the period the label was active, but it’s a great read, albeit one not weighty enough that won’t see you through a period of self isolation. Some fantastic books on the Fall out there, and there is one on the bedside table I’m reading currently. Smith was certainly a character and seemed to enjoy his spell in Edinburgh, but unfortunately he seemed to look out for Hearts more than Hibs, but he was never one for following anything that was deemed cool..
    A Fall & Fitba fix in one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=R...re=emb_rel_end

Just played "Cruisers Creek" & "Mr Pharmacist" to cheer myself the **** up
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 17-03-2020 at 07:39 PM.

A Fall & Fitba fix in one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=R...re=emb_rel_end

Just played "Cruisers Creek" & "Mr Pharmacist" to cheer myself the **** up
    I think you would enjoy HIBS and the Pogues

Lots of good stories about following the cabbage home and away and The Pogues as well of course

I think you would enjoy HIBS and the Pogues

Lots of good stories about following the cabbage home and away and The Pogues as well of course
    Sounds good Billy

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    There was someone on here a few weeks ago looking for " the making of Hibernian", book 3, did he get it?
    I have a spare copy of book 3, The Romantic Years, if anyone's interested.

As the saying goes - “From little acorns, mighty oaks grow”

Mainly inspired by this thread, I took stock of my Small Hibs related book collection. I had about half a dozen plus a few random Hibs annuals.

I’ve since been picking up more books in the last couple of years and now have a grand total of 88 books that have either direct relevance to the club and its former players (64 books).
    A full set of annuals from 2006 to 2020 (15 books).
    There are a few stats books included also for seasons we have won leagues or cups. And some photo books I’ve produced myself celebrating that weekend in May 2016. (9 books).

There are around 13 more I have identified that would take the collection to over 100. 10 or 11 of these are relatively easy to obtain via the usual 2nd hand outlets such as ebay or AbeBooks.

However, there’s a few that are harder to come by.

1) The Gilzean Cartoon book (Hibs Flavoured) from the 70s/80s
    2) Sandy Macnair’s : We Only Want The Earth (this is my own fault for not purchasing when available)
    3) Hearts and Hibs : Capital Classics by Mike Smith
    4) An alleged copy of the Docherty & Thomson : 100 Years of Hibs book autographed by Bremner, Munro, Spalding, McArthur and Edwards. I have 2 other copies signed by other contemporary players but this 3rd one seems a bit rarer, if indeed it does exist.

Any pointers where I might be able to obtain any of these at “reasonable” cost?

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

Mainly inspired by this thread, I took stock of my Small Hibs related book collection. I had about half a dozen plus a few random Hibs annuals.

I’ve since been picking up more books in the last couple of years and now have a grand total of 88 books that have either direct relevance to the club and its former players (64 books).
    There are a few stats books included also for seasons we have won leagues or cups. And some photo books I’ve produced myself celebrating that weekend in May 2016. (9 books).

There are around 13 more I have identified that would take the collection to over 100. 10 or 11 of these are relatively easy to obtain via the usual 2nd hand outlets such as ebay or AbeBooks.

2) Sandy Macnair’s : We Only Want The Earth (this is my own fault for not purchasing when available)
    4) An alleged copy of the Docherty & Thomson : 100 Years of Hibs book autographed by Bremner, Munro, Spalding, McArthur and Edwards. I have 2 other copies signed by other contemporary players but this 3rd one seems a bit rarer, if indeed it does exist.

Marie Curie Charity Shop Inverleith Row has been a happy hunting ground for me in the past

Well worth popping in if you are passing

100 Years of HIBS difficult to get a copy with an undamaged dust cover with Fat Joe on the front v The Hun signed by any of his contemporaries a bonus
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 19-03-2020 at 09:14 PM.

First Team Breakthrough

I have a similar sized collection, but also missing the capital classics, its very hard to come by, I would try Almondvale programmes for the Gilzean book , but expect to pay £30 plus for it

Marie Curie Charity Shop Inverleith Row has been a happy hunting ground for me in the past

Well worth popping in if you are passing

100 Years of HIBS difficult to get a copy with an undamaged dust cover with Fat Joe on the front v The Hun signed by any of his contemporaries a bonus
    Thanks Billyhibs. Will give the MC shop a try.
    I pop into various charity shops in and around The Foot of the Walk from time to time. Do see Hibs related books occasionally but more often than not they are ones I’ve already got.

The 2 copies of 100 years I have, do have dust covers but they are 90% in tact. Couple of minor tears on each. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by tynehibs View Post
    I have a similar sized collection, but also missing the capital classics, its very hard to come by, I would try Almondvale programmes for the Gilzean book , but expect to pay £30 plus for it
    Thanks for the tip. Will pop in to Almondvale at some point.

Thanks Billyhibs. Will give the MC shop a try.
    I pop into various charity shops in and around The Foot of the Walk from time to time. Do see Hibs related books occasionally but more often than not they are ones I’ve already got.

The 2 copies of 100 years I have, do have dust covers but they are 90% in tact. Couple of minor tears on each. Cheers.
    That Wee shop has a dedicated HIBS section so you don’t have to look around at every book in the shop like some places