hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Kevin Harper

Left by mutual consent! Skanko79's Avatar

Kevin Harper

Anyone know what he is up to these days?

What a cracking player he was on his day....

2. Log in to remove the advert

He was in an article in Scotland On Sunday a couple of years ago talking about a "Cruise" type clothes shop he had opened in Glasgow with one of his mates. Think he was still playing at Dunfermline at that time. Not sure if an upmarket designer label new-start retail venture like that will have survived the recession but hopefully it will.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Great player IMO - remember the 2-1 derby game at ER when he came on as a sub and ripped the Yams a new one.

Some great derby memories of Kevin. In no particular order:

1. 2-1 new years derby at ER and THAT volley from the edge of the box which flew past big Pussy in the hertz goal. One of the best goals I've ever seen at ER.

2. 2-1 game in 97-98 where he slalomed through a good few yams before placing thr ball in the bottom corner going down the slope. Not enough to ultimately save us but it certainly dented the hertz league challenge.

3. 2-2 at tynie at new year. Ok, it kept Duffy in a job, but a rousing second half comeback inspired by Kevs running down the wing and crosses for both goals that averted a 0-7 revenge.

4. 3-1 at ER when the famous five and dunbar ends were being built. A reduced crowd but another fantastic second half comeback with the winner by a young Kev who celebrated with a smile the length of leith walk, running along the terracing.

5. A super sub in the Geebsie game at tynie. Every Hibee that day is a legend. My birthday too!!

The 2-1 game was his finest hour. Same with Lavety. Neither were great players but both had a lot of spirit.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some great derby memories of Kevin. In no particular order:

1. 2-1 new years derby at ER and THAT volley from the edge of the box which flew past big Pussy in the hertz goal. One of the best goals I've ever seen at ER.

2. 2-1 game in 97-98 where he slalomed through a good few yams before placing thr ball in the bottom corner going down the slope. Not enough to ultimately save us but it certainly dented the hertz league challenge.

3. 2-2 at tynie at new year. Ok, it kept Duffy in a job, but a rousing second half comeback inspired by Kevs running down the wing and crosses for both goals that averted a 0-7 revenge.

4. 3-1 at ER when the famous five and dunbar ends were being built. A reduced crowd but another fantastic second half comeback with the winner by a young Kev who celebrated with a smile the length of leith walk, running along the terracing.

5. A super sub in the Geebsie game at tynie. Every Hibee that day is a legend. My birthday too!!
    I'm pretty sure that Harper did nothing that day other than win us the corner from which GH scored - don't get me wrong, ultimately that was more than enough of a contribution, it's just big things were expected of him and he was quiet. Came off before the corner was taken IIRC.

All great memories

First Team Breakthrough

Models in the link

I see he has got Kenny Miller to model his clothes and i think the other one is Kris Boyd > but i could be wrong ?

Anyone confirm ?

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Making his debut at Easter rd in a 5-0 win against Dundee utd and ripping Gordan Petric a new hole time after time.

@hibs.net private member ginger_rice's Avatar
    That Kevin Harper Michael O'Neil goal

one of the best I've ever seen at easter road.
    "Football should always be played beautifully, you should play in an attacking way, it must be a spectacle". Johan Cruyff.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2belhaven View Post
    I see he has got Kenny Miller to model his clothes and i think the other one is Kris Boyd > but i could be wrong ?

Anyone confirm ?
    Yes, that's Miller and Boyd alright, a few years ago mind!

@hibs.net private member
    Harper was a fantastic player. Great hat trick for under 21s. Left foot right foot and a header. Unfortunately never fulfilled his early potential. Looke like he would go on to be a scotland regular but just seemed to fall away after he went down south

Was this game played on a Friday afternoon?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCC Hibs View Post
    No, defo Saturday afternoon. Think you are getting mixed up with a game against Falkirk which was played on a weekday afternoon due to the floodlights being demolished in preparation for the new stands. We lost 0-2 btw.

He's a car salesman in the west end of Glasgow

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Scored at Anfield too I think while at Derby.

Great player when he first broke through but as someone rightly said did not go on to the dizzy heights expected.

Quote Originally Posted by ginger_rice View Post
    That Kevin Harper Michael O'Neil goal

one of the best I've ever seen at easter road.
    Yes! In the 2-2 draw with Motherwell. Inch perfect cross for O'Neill's volley.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    One of my favourtie players
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Scored at Anfield too I think while at Derby.

Great player when he first broke through but as someone rightly said did not go on to the dizzy heights expected.
    Yup! I mind seeing that one on MOTD, a header IIRC, although it did seem to fortuitously rebound off his napper and into the net , his reaction was a joy, he just stood there with his arms aloft with a smile as wide as the Clyde lol, I would love to see that on YouTube one day

The goal that O'Neill scored against Motherwell from Harpers cross was also another favourite of mines, I was in the centre stand that day and had perfect view , a touch out of defence to wee Kevin on the wing and without breaking stride he hit it first time onto the boot of O'Neill who volleyed it perfectly past the Well keeper , the whole stadium (bar the 200 Well fans) went ballistic as a previous poster said...one of the best goals EVER at Easter Road

There seemed to be a lot of Scottish players that moved south around the same time that Harper did and never established themselves. Doesn't seem to be the case now.

Harper went off the rails and, for a time at least, succumbed to the worst of the demons that footballers seem vulnerable to.

3-1 at ER when the famous five and dunbar ends were being built. A reduced crowd but another fantastic second half comeback with the winner by a young Kev who celebrated with a smile the length of leith walk, running along the terracing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCC Hibs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by connerg View Post
    No, defo Saturday afternoon. Think you are getting mixed up with a game against Falkirk which was played on a weekday afternoon due to the floodlights being demolished in preparation for the new stands. We lost 0-2 btw.
    Yeah, the 3-1 was against Hearts on a Saturday afternoon.

However, there was a 2-0 win against Motherwell at Easter Road on a Wednesday afternoon a couple of weeks before the Falkirk game. Keith Wright got a double for us against Motherwell. John Clark scored the first for Falkirk with a long-range free-kick, can't remember who got the second.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Yeah, the 3-1 was against Hearts on a Saturday afternoon.

However, there was a 2-0 win against Motherwell at Easter Road on a Wednesday afternoon a couple of weeks before the Falkirk game. Keith Wright got a double for us against Motherwell. John Clark scored the first for Falkirk with a long-range free-kick, can't remember who got the second.
    Coco McDonald I think, lob over Leighton IIRC.

@hibs.net private member
    Harper fell under the spell of chic charnley as such picked up his bad habits. Even after he moved south he would come back to Glasgow to go out with him. He had great potential but never really fulfiled it.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Didn't he say something really stupid about how he would pick Real Madrid to play for?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    I'm more interested to find out if that chap who won the competition to get dreadlocks just like Harper still has them

Looked dreadful! Anyone willing to come forward?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Didn't he say something really stupid about how he would pick Real Madrid to play for?
    Was that not Benji?

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    There seemed to be a lot of Scottish players that moved south around the same time that Harper did and never established themselves. Doesn't seem to be the case now. Harper went off the rails and, for a time at least, succumbed to the worst of the demons that footballers seem vulnerable to.
    I'm too young to know what Harper was supposedly like off the field, what 'demons'? Drink? Drugs? Gambling?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    I'm too young to know what Harper was supposedly like off the field, what 'demons'? Drink? Drugs? Gambling?
    Werewolves.

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Werewolves.
    FACT!

He "allegedly" loved a bevvy when at Hibs. His natural ability seemed to carry him through but he was rarely a starter for us when, based on ability, he should probably have been. When he moved to England it caught up with him. Bottom line, he wasn't good/professional enough for Derby or the various other clubs he bounced about.

Ultimately his demons led him to a very unsavoury wife-beating incident which ended his status as any kind of Hibs hero for me.

fantastic player but was disliked by his teamates
    i heard he was known as billy big boots