hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Garry O'Connor

Garry O'Connor

Even with all the off field problems hanging over his head, I think it is time the board sat down with Garry and his agent and tried to get him signed up on a longer term contract. Even if it is only to give us a fee when he does move on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even with all the off field problems hanging over his head, I think it is time the board sat down with Garry and his agent sat down and tried to get him signed up on a longer term contract. Even if it is only to give us a fee when he does move on.
    Completely agree.

Why not show some ambition, pay him a decent salary and sign him up for 5 years.

Go on Rod, you know it makes sense.

Depending if he stays out of Saughton that is.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    As I said lastnight .... THAT is how you make a statement garry. Let's hope he's turning it around im behind him all the way. Hes actions were wrong but he could be a lot worse (see Craig Thomson).

"The past can hurt, you can either run from it or learn from it."

Would love him to stay but can't see it. Can you imagine where we would be if it wasn't for him this season .

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Reaper
    Good to see the big man show his class.

Sadly I do think he is one who may look back and wonderjust how good he could have been had he had his head screwed on

He said it all with the message on his T-shirt at East End Park ; 'Only Rod can judge me'.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Sadly I do think he is one who may look back and wonderjust how good he could have been had he had his head screwed on
    Earning a fortune in Russia and in the EPL/Championship suggests to me that he has done very well for himself.

At still only 28, a decent full season with Hibs should see him back at a higher level next season and again earning serious wedge.

Good on the cant!

Sadly this was always likely to be a parasitical relationship. GOC was given a platform to show he could still do the business and Hibs got a player on a fraction of the wage he has recently commanded. If he keeps doing what he's doing he moves out of our price range each game. Lets just enjoy watching him in a hibs shirt again for however long it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    Sadly this was always likely to be a parasitical relationship. GOC was given a platform to show he could still do the business and Hibs got a player on a fraction of the wage he has recently commanded. If he keeps doing what he's doing he moves out of our price range each game. Lets just enjoy watching him in a hibs shirt again for however long it lasts.
    We can still give him a longer deal with a release clause in it

@hibs.net private member
    I would love for us to show a bit of ambition and try and get him to stay. Even if we made the squad a couple of players smaller and shift the wages to him he'd be worth every penny

I think we really have to wait and see what the outcome is of the charges that he faces. If it was to go against him, that decision could be taken out of our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    I think we really have to wait and see what the outcome is of the charges that he faces. If it was to go against him, that decision could be taken out of our hands.
    It is worth the gamble to take that chance,even if it was to go pear shape it would still will be in our best interest.

When is the court case?

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He'd be mental to sign a longer deal with us now. Fair enough if we were a good side but we're not.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He'd be mental to sign a longer deal with us now. Fair enough if we were a good side but we're not.

If he continues in his current form and is top scorer in Scotland come January the starting point will be about £20k a week as long as he's a free agent.

Gary was Celtic bound and it was almost a done deal until the s**** hit the fan. I think come end of season if he continues to turn around his career he'll be offski. I also think if there's the slightest chance that Rod could get any cash for him come Jan transfer window he might just take it. Personally i'd love him to stay and help build a better team.

Or he could have made his money... Enjoy being back home and think that he would rather stay with us

I reckon he will be here for a few years

That is a good shout, happy back home playing with the Hibs. I would have loved to have seen Garry O teamed-up with Stokes, two natural born goalscorers. I think they could have caused some damage in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    ma be he had no where else to go, who else would take a chance on him, knowing his situation. He is one of our own.

First Team Breakthrough Hibtastic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithBoozy View Post
    That is a good shout, happy back home playing with the Hibs. I would have loved to have seen Garry O teamed-up with Stokes, two natural born goalscorers. I think they could have caused some damage in this league.
    And Yogi said he wouldn't have signed him and we had made a mistake. Clown!

Just be pleased that he is with us right now.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    I might have this wrong but Garry trained with Celtic before signing 1 year deal with us so its not hard to quess that Lennon told Garry to prove he still had in in him to play at a decent level before making him an offer.

But Garry's off field troubles might have ruined his chances of going up the M8.

I hope something can be done making sure he stays at Hibs- but January will tell us one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by hibiedude View Post
    I might have this wrong but Garry trained with Celtic before signing 1 year deal with us so its not hard to quess that Lennon told Garry to prove he still had in in him to play at a decent level before making him an offer.

But Garry's off field troubles might have ruined his chances of going up the M8.

I hope something can be done making sure he stays at Hibs- but January will tell us one way or the other.
    Lennon and O'Connor share the same Agent, so may be read no more than that. However, I agree that I don't see any better options than Hibs as a result of all the negativity in the media.

Folk called Yogi ken what's going oan

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I seem to remember Garry commenting when he signed, something along the lines of "if I do well this year, hibs won't be able to afford me". Signals a shop-window season deal. I don't mind that. He's on course for 20+ goals this year which is not to be sniffed at.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    When is the court case?

Next week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    I seem to remember Garry commenting when he signed, something along the lines of "if I do well this year, hibs won't be able to afford me". Signals a shop-window season deal. I don't mind that. He's on course for 20+ goals this year which is not to be sniffed at.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    He's on course for 20+ goals this year which is not to be sniffed at.
    Nice one.