hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taxi for potter?

After another usual disastrous campaign foray,will the knives be out for Mr.Negative?Pivotal point(or lack of)being THAT first game against the czechs!Step forward Gordon Strachan.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what Levein did to merit the job in the first place and now I'm not sure what he has done to merit keeping his job.

However our expectation levels are so low now that I can't see much of an outcry to change things if honest.

Totally inept tactically, we were fine until he replaced bardsley with Danny wilson, he was out of position at there first and shouldn't be making that tackle for the second.
    Get him out!!

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    EH??

We may not be that good but at least there has been some improvement and there is hope for the future!

Blog Entries
    I've got no time for Potter and couldn't care less whether he stays or goes. I only saw snippets of the second half and to be fair they looked passable as team at times. Despite my indifference, I thought the ref was out of order with his penalty decisions and on that performance should be demoted to Sunday pub league football

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EH??

We may not be that good but at least there has been some improvement and there is hope for the future!
    Really? Seconds away from our worst ever home result, the legendary 4-6-0 formation and 5 points from 5 games. Improvement?

I accept we have some decent youngsters coming through and players competing in the EPL but that is not down to Levein it's just his good fortune. Whether he is the man to get the best from this group of players is debatable.

Don't mean to upset the apple cart here guys but given the last few performances, I dont think he has done too much wrong. Yesterday we shouldve beat the Czech - had it not been for a terrible refereeing decision we would have. In all honesty they are probably a better side than us, as are Denmark who we just beat (albeit a friendly).
    We ran the world champions very close and beat a stuffy Leichtenstein team (I know that isn't something to shout out about but we did still win and I'm a "happy clapper"). Whilst it looks just beyond us to qualify for the Euro, Im not ruling out the possibility yet. We have to beat Lithuania and Leichtenstein, which I think we will. Czech then play Spain - where we really have to hope for a Spain win. Then we go into the final games 1 point ahead of them. They play away to Lithuania and we play away to Spain. We have to match their result and we're in the playoffs. If we get that far then as far as I'm concerned Levein has done a good job.
    I really don't like the man but at the moment I can't see what we have to complain about. The tactics in the 1st game against Czech were awful, but if we'd have tried to have a go would we have done any better? I dont think Levein had much confidence in his side at that point but as things have progressed and he's seen that the players we have are actually quite good then his tactics have developed.
    I certainly dont think that Strachan is better suited to the job than Levein. He's only been succesful when he's had better players at his disposal than everyone his team plays.
    I'm a big Scotland fan - nearly as much so as I am a Hibs fan and as things stand Im satisfied with the progress we're making.

Whether we qualify for the Euro playoffs or not Im confident about heading into the world cup qualifiers and expect us to finish at least 2nd in our group.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Don't mean to upset the apple cart here guys but given the last few performances, I dont think he has done too much wrong. Yesterday we shouldve beat the Czech - had it not been for a terrible refereeing decision we would have. In all honesty they are probably a better side than us, as are Denmark who we just beat (albeit a friendly).
    We ran the world champions very close and beat a stuffy Leichtenstein team (I know that isn't something to shout out about but we did still win and I'm a "happy clapper"). Whilst it looks just beyond us to qualify for the Euro, Im not ruling out the possibility yet. We have to beat Lithuania and Leichtenstein, which I think we will. Czech then play Spain - where we really have to hope for a Spain win. Then we go into the final games 1 point ahead of them. They play away to Lithuania and we play away to Spain. We have to match their result and we're in the playoffs. If we get that far then as far as I'm concerned Levein has done a good job.
    I really don't like the man but at the moment I can't see what we have to complain about. The tactics in the 1st game against Czech were awful, but if we'd have tried to have a go would we have done any better? I dont think Levein had much confidence in his side at that point but as things have progressed and he's seen that the players we have are actually quite good then his tactics have developed.
    I certainly dont think that Strachan is better suited to the job than Levein. He's only been succesful when he's had better players at his disposal than everyone his team plays.
    I'm a big Scotland fan - nearly as much so as I am a Hibs fan and as things stand Im satisfied with the progress we're making.

Whether we qualify for the Euro playoffs or not Im confident about heading into the world cup qualifiers and expect us to finish at least 2nd in our group.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    As its Hibs.net we should really be demanding that he be sacked and keep the momentum up on a one manager per year basis. Surely there's a Scotland training facility we could complain about too?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    what is it with the strachan love on this site recently. did none see the state he left brough in ?Now you want him as the national manager

i want potter but for someone who had a little success in the last post, like the now named uncle walter

I only caught the 2nd half but when there's somebody bringing the ball down on there chest in your box it should send a few alarm bells to the bench ,set up wrong players run their race sort of thing .
    IMO Naismith being knackered with 25 to go should have been the first to get hooked ,I would have a pop at his tracking back as well .
    No matter what way you look at it I thought the ref shafted us and there is nothing you can do about it ,a sore one is an understatement

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    EH??

Agree. I think Levein is getting us more like a club side in terms of workrate and set-up. A big improvement from Burley.

I recall people in the past saying "let's build a team, so forget the Euros and get a team ready for the World Cup qualification". I suggest we are better placed now for that than we were a few years ago. All we need to find is a striker to score barrowloads of goals - no dig intended at Miller who actually played well yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Really? Seconds away from our worst ever home result, the legendary 4-6-0 formation and 5 points from 5 games. Improvement?

I accept we have some decent youngsters coming through and players competing in the EPL but that is not down to Levein it's just his good fortune. Whether he is the man to get the best from this group of players is debatable.
    When written like that, that stat looks really bad, however, consider the fixtures:

Lithuania A - 0-0 A draw away from home to Lithuania, shortly following their fortunate victory over the Czech this seemed like a decent result at the time. Especially given that we'd lost in places like Georgia not too long before

Leichtenstein H 2-1 Home win. Not very pretty and at times heart in the mouth stuff against a poor opponent. We dug in and kept going and got the victory though.

Czech A 0-1 Narrow defeat but admittedly the tactics were nothing short of shocking. We went there not expecting too much given that they had only lost 3 Euro qualifiers in their last 5 campaigns

Spain H - 2-3 World champions who are nothing short of phenomenal, possibly one of the best teams ever. After coming from 2 goals down we were only about 10 minutes from what would have been a fantastic result

Czech H 2-2 Had the beating of them and a ludicrous decision in the last minute cost us the win.

I dont think its as bad as some folk make it out to be

When written like that, that stat looks really bad, however, consider the fixtures:

Lithuania A - 0-0 A draw away from home to Lithuania, shortly following their fortunate victory over the Czech this seemed like a decent result at the time. Especially given that we'd lost in places like Georgia not too long before

Leichtenstein H 2-1 Home win. Not very pretty and at times heart in the mouth stuff against a poor opponent. We dug in and kept going and got the victory though.

Czech A 0-1 Narrow defeat but admittedly the tactics were nothing short of shocking. We went there not expecting too much given that they had only lost 3 Euro qualifiers in their last 5 campaigns

Spain H - 2-3 World champions who are nothing short of phenomenal, possibly one of the best teams ever. After coming from 2 goals down we were only about 10 minutes from what would have been a fantastic result

Czech H 2-2 Had the beating of them and a ludicrous decision in the last minute cost us the win.

Less than 6 months after beating them 1-0 at Hampden

Levein is dragging the team down with his abysmal team selection's and tactics.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Very well put.

If we stick with Levein, we will qualify for the world cup.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Very well put.If we stick with Levein, we will qualify for the world cup.
    No we won't mate, and nothing to do with Levein in charge either.Scotland are a nation who have never evolved in world football. You will always get effort, passion and commitment, but we are technically poor in all areas of the pitch. Examine their goals and on both occasions we have comfortable possession of the ball......we dither, panic, lunge and play fear football. No composure, skill or preciseness. My view is we will finish 4th. Exactly where our ranking places us. Levein actually has done a decent job.......but following Burley, that wasn't hard.Invest properly all over Scotland in proper facilities, employ better coaches, and educate kids away from bevvy, drugs and playstations. Then we will evolve. Until then, we will only have a handful of truly great footballers in my opinion.Scotland did not bad yesterday, but the Czechs deserved at least a point.

Both refereeing decisions were understandable, the fact of the matter is we were sitting deep while only a goal ahead, we were pretty much inviting them to come forward.

The manager should be ensuring that doesn't happen. He's a bit rubbish - not sure who would be much better, it's annoying as we should have won but bottled it when the Czech's came forward towards the end.

I keep hearing this and reading it in the ludicrously biased papers but in what way did Scotland have the beating of the Czechs yesterday? They had 2 glorious chances in the early stages and where denied an absolute stonewall penalty. Scotland could have been 3-0 down inside 20 minutes. We had one shot on goal in the 1st half and apart from the 2nd goal only 1 or 2 chances and half chances in the 2nd half.

Whilst Scotland had more of the ball, the Czechs looked infinitely more comfortable in possesion and technically well ahead. Ok the 2 decisions at the end were shockers but the Czechs should have had a penalty earlier and the referees mistakes seem to have given everyone a convenient diversion from a pretty poor Scotland performance. People shouldn' forget this is the worst Czech team since they first played in 1994 and they still looked at least as good as us if not quite a bit better.

The players are hopeless.Two minutes to go a goal up and they can't even play keep the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The players are hopeless.Two minutes to go a goal up and they can't even play keep the ball.
    It seems a flippant remark, but there's a lot truth in there - the Czechs were cleverer than the Scots and we really should have been professional enough to keep the ball away from the danger area when it mattered - hopeless sums it up for me....

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Bang-on, he should have used his legendary 1-4-6-0 formation, when wer'e winning with minutes to go, thick Clunt.

I'd have sacked him for the 4-6-0 debacle in Czechland!

Worst Czech side in living, and we play without a striker!

Scandalous!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    I'd have sacked him for the 4-6-0 debacle in Czechland!

Worst Czech side in living, and we play without a striker!

Scandalous!
    Yup. agree with that 100%.

Just to even think about a that formation for the national side is bad enough but to actually go through with it was embarrassing.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    No we won't mate, and nothing to do with Levein in charge either.Scotland are a nation who have never evolved in world football. You will always get effort, passion and commitment, but we are technically poor in all areas of the pitch. Examine their goals and on both occasions we have comfortable possession of the ball......we dither, panic, lunge and play fear football. No composure, skill or preciseness. My view is we will finish 4th. Exactly where our ranking places us. Levein actually has done a decent job.......but following Burley, that wasn't hard.Invest properly all over Scotland in proper facilities, employ better coaches, and educate kids away from bevvy, drugs and playstations. Then we will evolve. Until then, we will only have a handful of truly great footballers in my opinion.Scotland did not bad yesterday, but the Czechs deserved at least a point.
    Levein has said a similar thing in the past before, but this isn't something you'll see the benefit of short-term - in order to move forward we need a man who is willing to invest that much time in doing so.

He did a cracking job at Dundee United in investing in youth, and even since his departure they've seen the benefits of that through the likes of Goodwillie who played excellently for them last season and earned them a pretty penny.

Scrap the short term thinking that's gotten our squad into such deep ****, let's look at the long term and realise that Levein's very well qualified to reform the Scottish international set-up from a grassroots level.

A bit conservative perhaps !

But I watched the game and cofirmed what I took from the friendly agaist Denmark that we are playing better with some reservations.

We certainly did not show much composure in the lead and in te minutes just prior to the penalty had opportunities to play the ball out but were just hacking at it and heading the ball straight up.

Also, a bit worrying and probably linked to his formations is we seem unable or unwilling to try and carve up teams through the middle. Not saying we have the Messi's etc to accomplish this and it is obviouly good to use the wings, but we need to be able to come through the middle in numbers. Certainly not with Kenny Miller singing Lonesome Cowboy. He still had a good game though. Apart from his contribution to the goals, his effort tracking back was creditable indeed.

However, that said, I have to agree that the Bardsley substitution was mystifying. My mate and I watching here in L.A. were calling for a sub even before this, but in the middle. Fresh legs etc. Thought Naismith was coming off. Looked tired. And he takes off a full back who was playing well. We thought he must have sustained a knock or slight injury. If not Potter does need to justify why, in a crucial game, he changed the defence.

That said, I still think we are playing somewhat better football than a few years ago. Fact is, that we were denied victory, deserved or not, by a very suspect last minute penalty. But for that we would have been quite happy I think and at least eagerly awaiting the next match.

It's Scotland ! Whaes like us?
    Last edited by SanFranHibs; 04-09-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: More mistakes than Scotland !!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I keep hearing this and reading it in the ludicrously biased papers but in what way did Scotland have the beating of the Czechs yesterday? They had 2 glorious chances in the early stages and where denied an absolute stonewall penalty. Scotland could have been 3-0 down inside 20 minutes. We had one shot on goal in the 1st half and apart from the 2nd goal only 1 or 2 chances and half chances in the 2nd half.

Whilst Scotland had more of the ball, the Czechs looked infinitely more comfortable in possesion and technically well ahead. Ok the 2 decisions at the end were shockers but the Czechs should have had a penalty earlier and the referees mistakes seem to have given everyone a convenient diversion from a pretty poor Scotland performance. People shouldn' forget this is the worst Czech team since they first played in 1994 and they still looked at least as good as us if not quite a bit better.
    In the way that we were 2-1 up and relatively comfortable heading into injury time.
    I think that if Czech had scored early on that Scotland would've altered the game plan and come out a bit more. They didn't so we didn't. I think that Potter probably had the tactics for this game absolutely spot on.
    You can go on about the lack of Scotland chances and say we only had one shot at goal in the first half. I'd say we played a patient game and were clinical in our finishing.
    I dont think it was a "pretty poor Scotland performance" I thought the team played well and looked to have done enough to take the 3 points.

Opinions eh....

First Team Breakthrough seven nowt's Avatar
    We have been lucky at times and extremely unlucky, but I think we've got a strong squad. I'd give him some more time. Relatively satisfied with him at the helm - for just now.

Still, devastated that we were robbed again, was almost crying.

If the referee had got the penalty decisions right at the end of the game we'd be favourites to take second place in the section, so I don't think the campaign has been the disaster suggested by the OP. However, the referee's errors shouldn't let us forget that our passing and movement was inferior to the Czechs throughout the game. In a 4-1-4-1 formation the two wide midfielders are vital, but both Morrison and Naismith were poor yesterday. Incidentally, the performance of Morrison and Adam, who're both good EPL players, suggests to me that there's still a step up between club and international football (but maybe they both just had off days).

Regarding the substitutions, I thought while watching the game that Bardsley looked like he'd had a knock and was struggling to run at full pace, while it's emerged since the game that Adam was taken off because he was injured and he's doubtful for Tuesday.

It's unlikely that we'll qualify now, but I'd keep Levein on for the 2014 qualifying. He's made mistakes, but I think he's smart enough to have learned from them, and there seems to be a good team spirit going. There isn't an obvious superior replacement.

Craig Levein.........please GTF ASAP!

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Craig Levein.........please GTF ASAP!
    This
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16