hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Michael O'Neill has still not signed a contract with Shamrock Rovers

despite cruising through Europe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...pa-League.html

Can't imagine what he's waiting on - can you Rod?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Get him to Easter Road
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Hmmmm, interesting. Too far fetched to believe that CC has been asked to kill time until O'Neill is available and then CC can go to Brum? Probably wishful thinking but things are desperate!!!

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    He isn't going to leave the team he just took into the Europa League.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Apparently never played for us also i wonder if the Shamrock forums are in the same kind of meltdown as ours when Calderwood said pretty much the same thing???

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Famous_HFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He isn't going to leave the team he just took into the Europa League.

Not sure why you think that, he pretty much said he will.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by 325EasterRoad View Post

despite cruising through Europe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...pa-League.html

Can't imagine what he's waiting on - can you Rod?
    Interesting timing..

So this was a guy who was pretty much determined by a lot round here to be 'not good enough' when CC was brought in, but now he is the answer because Shamrock managed to win a game in Europe?

Not saying he isn't, just find it interesting...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    message to GOD...

Dear God
    I have been a good Hibs fan, i deserve better than some of this *******
    if you do this for me, i promise i will be very good and never ask you for anything again

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post

Not sure why you think that, he pretty much said he will.
    No, he said:
    “Shamrock Rovers is where I’m managing at and I’m going to continue to do that – but if the opportunity presents itself we’ll see what happens.”
    Besides, surely managing a Europa League side until at least Christmas is a higher level than a mediocre SPL side with no real hope this year of getting anywhere near the qualifying stages never mind group!

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Famous_HFC View Post
    No, he said:
    Besides, surely managing a Europa League side until at least Christmas is a higher level than a mediocre SPL side with no real hope this year of getting anywhere near the qualifying stages never mind group!
    My thoughts exactly. Why on earth would he want to come to manage us?

GG

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    So this was a guy who was pretty much determined by a lot round here to be 'not good enough' when CC was brought in, but now he is the answer because Shamrock managed to win a game in Europe?

Not saying he isn't, just find it interesting...
    my thoughts exactly. and who's to say he isn't seeing this "imminent" SPL move as another stepping stone? fair play to his ambition but can you imagine one of our managers touting himself in the media like that? this place would be in meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    my thoughts exactly. and who's to say he isn't seeing this "imminent" SPL move as another stepping stone? fair play to his ambition but can you imagine one of our managers touting himself in the media like that? this place would be in meltdown.
    I don't need to imagine it.

It happened about two months ago with Colin Calderwood.

At least Michael O'Neill is touting himself for a managerial post!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post

GG
    Maybe he's a Hibby.

If I was the world's best player, I would leave any club on the planet to play for Hibs, who's to say O'N wouldn't do the same?

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Hohoho..... he's the cheap option...he's got too many Hibs connections... he's not got the experience....

Calderwood was made manager to pacify the fans. If you don't think the board read these forums, you're off your head. They looked at what the messageboard was saying - " no hibs connections", "an outsider", "new face", "experience", "success elsewhere". So they got Calderwood - who covered all those bases.

Think it's not true? Yogi was signed when a lot of people were saying "Mixu was the cheap option, we wouldn't pay for Yogi". "The football Falkirk play....", " Yogi's passion....." They signed him to give the Hibs fans what they wanted.

Mixu was SACKED to give the Hibs messageboards what they wanted. That useless, fat finn, Mixup, who was incapable of learning from his mistakes - who then turned around and built the foundations of a Killie team that continues to show potential.

The next time we pick a manager - and I reckon it'll be soon enough - the last folk consulted should be the fans. The board should make thier own appointment, not just someone who fit's the Hibs.net fashions of the day.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevenl049 PSN ID: stevenl049
    More or less spot on. The only difference is that I think Mixu and Yogi had too much of an emotional connection to the club. By that I mean that neither of them could handle seeing Hibs lose, and the players laughing and joking around on a Monday morning. They both hated that, and in the fans eyes, rightly so. In my opinion, at this level (middle order SPL) you need to blank that out and make sure players arent terrified of making mistakes and get on with looking forward and planning the next game.

I reckon O'Neil would be perfect for Hibs as he wouldn't be too attached but be far more enthusiastic than the current "leader". He still looks as if he doesn't want to be here and his refusal to rubbish this summers reports are enough for me to say "time to go". That's before i even look at what's happening on the park. No one would give 100% for a boss that they knew didn't care, in any walk of life.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Hohoho..... he's the cheap option...he's got too many Hibs connections... he's not got the experience....

Calderwood was made manager to pacify the fans. If you don't think the board read these forums, you're off your head. They looked at what the messageboard was saying - " no hibs connections", "an outsider", "new face", "experience", "success elsewhere". So they got Calderwood - who covered all those bases.

Think it's not true? Yogi was signed when a lot of people were saying "Mixu was the cheap option, we wouldn't pay for Yogi". "The football Falkirk play....", " Yogi's passion....." They signed him to give the Hibs fans what they wanted.

Mixu was SACKED to give the Hibs messageboards what they wanted. That useless, fat finn, Mixup, who was incapable of learning from his mistakes - who then turned around and built the foundations of a Killie team that continues to show potential.

The next time we pick a manager - and I reckon it'll be soon enough - the last folk consulted should be the fans. The board should make thier own appointment, not just someone who fit's the Hibs.net fashions of the day.

GG
    No, that ship has sailed. MO'N will stay with Rover for at least part of the Euro campaign. Then he'll wait and see what jobs come up around October/November. I suspect ours might be one of them, but I also suspect that the Championship will be his lowest point of entry.

Hard to see how he could have done worse at ER than the current disaster.

Michael O'Neil worked under Mixu and managed at Brechin where we had players on loan. I'd be surprised if Rod hasn't been speaking to him on a regular basis and at length since the Europa League victory against Partizan.

Michael is an ex-player, would love the job, knows Scottish Football, wants to manage in the SPL, is very intelligent, articulate, popular and successful at every job he's had to date.

Oh aye - he is a Qualified Accountant as well

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Has O'Neil not been interviewed for the Hibs Job in the past?

Now it's the fans fault we have a CC ? !, well if the board are reading this he should be out by this afternoon. Aye the last folk who should be consulted are us are we ? , only in football would you get such loony comments such as these.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/spor...ait.6827536.jp
    Quote Originally Posted by down the slope View Post
    Now it's the fans fault we have a CC ? !, well if the board are reading this he should be out by this afternoon. Aye the last folk who should be consulted are us are we ? , only in football would you get such loony comments such as these.
    just about sums up this board at the moment when the only sensible post on the whole thread gets described as "loony".

Some common sense here, not that it'll catch on in this forest of jerking knees:

Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    If Michael O'Neil comes to Hibs, this place will want him out in 10 matches or less.

Quote Originally Posted by khib70 View Post
    just about sums up this board at the moment when the only sensible post on the whole thread gets described as "loony".

Some common sense here, not that it'll catch on in this forest of jerking knees:

excellent article by stuart bathgate,

@hibs.net private member

GG
    You obviously never went to the friendly at Shamrock Rovers - Stirling Albion have a better stadium and the SPL is clearly a step up regardless of the ineptness of recent European performances. Got to say that these comments from O'Neill are changing my perspective on the Calderwood situation - O'Neill has clearly got Shamrock Rovers playing above themselves which is a big indicator of real managerial capabilities.

Calderwood on the other hand is really living on a dogs life whereby defeat at home to Aberdeen would make his position near enough untenable. I've been arguing that he deserves September to prove himself but this kinda makes me think that maybe we should just bite the bullet, hoof Calderwood now and get O'Neill in pronto - or maybe the board are hoping Birmingham City might come in with another (probably reduced) offer ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by khib70 View Post

An excellent article looking at our current situation from a realistic and unemotive stance - puts Kane's article to shame.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    To be honest, I'm at the stage now where I wouldn't have a clue who could turn us round. Looking at the previous mangers,

Brought in the football intellect in Collins - didn't work.

Brought in the fans favourite in Mixu - didn't work.

Brought in the man to install passion/fight in Yogi - didn't work.

Brought in the experienced professional in CC - looking like another failure with every passing week.

The club needs a change in culture. Someone who can motivate and inspire everyone at the club from the players to the cleaners. A born winner as opposed to 'better luck next week'.

Whether A) we could find someone of this calibre and B) implement such a strategy with the incumbent board is another argument.

If I thought for one moment that what you claim here (highlighted text is the key example) was correct, then I would be calling for the Board to resign on the basis of being overpaid incompetents.

You have a pretty dim view of the folks at the top of our club. What you describe is not leadership; it's pandering to the most vocal elements within the customer base.

That's the way it should be and I suspect that's the way it always has been.

i'd love too see michael O'neill as Hibs manager 1 day, just not know.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    PM's have had to put up with me banging on about M'ON the last couple of times his name has been banded around. For non-PM's, here are a few facts:

• He still has one (if not two) houses in Edinburgh
    • He was in the frame when both Hughes and CC were appointed but has never been officially interviewed for the job.
    • He enquired about the Aberdeen job when Craigy Broon got it.
    • He is friends with one of our directors (not sure which one).
    • When CC got the job he was definitely interested despite having reservations about Petrie and the budget he'd have to work with. Whilst that may have changed given the Europa League games he's got coming up, I still think he'd jump at the job. Why? He would more than treble his salary which suggests he's not on a huge wedge at the moment.

Of course it's irrelevant as we (unfortunately) still have a manager.