hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"In The Short Term We Accept That There Will Be Doubters..."

"...in the long term there won't be."

Well, fair play, he got that one right. I think we're now all pretty much convinced that he's clueless, his team are spineless and going nowhere except the first division.

A poor-looking Hearts side followed in Kilmarnock and St.Mirren's footsteps and won pretty much as they pleased. It's difficult to see where our next point, let alone victory in the League is coming from.

Sauzee was given no time at all to turn Hibs round, yet the board seems to regard CC as being above trivial concerns like results and performances by the board. I'm all for people being given time, but they have to show us something along the way, some kind of encouraging signs that things will come together in the future. I've just not seen that from our manager.

His record is now inferior to Jim Duffy's, who was sacked after having roughly the same number of games in charge.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's a long way back, that's for sure.

I'm in no doubt....... Colin Calderwood should not be Hibs Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Well, fair play, he got that one right. I think we're now all pretty much convinced that he's clueless, his team are spineless and going nowhere except the first division.

A poor-looking Hearts side followed in Kilmarnock and St.Mirren's footsteps and won pretty much as they pleased. It's difficult to see where our next point, let alone victory in the League is coming from.

Sauzee was given no time at all to turn Hibs round, yet the board seems to regard CC as being above trivial concerns like results and performances by the board. I'm all for people being given time, but they have to show us something along the way, some kind of encouraging signs that things will come together in the future. I've just not seen that from our manager.

His record is now inferior to Jim Duffy's, who was sacked after having roughly the same number of games in charge.
    Calderwood has achieved the impossible, he`s manged to take us backwards since his opening defeat against Aberdeen as a manger, the arguments amongst some of the fans are now who has been worse than who, some of the fans before this game were suggesting that we were missing Sodje,O`Hanlon and Towell that is how desperate it has become, the harsh reality is that we have to start again.

All so depressing. I like many others don't want him to go because I desparately want us to stop this managerial merry go round. Believing that only some stability will get us where we should and ought to be...

However, aside from that I see nothing whatsoever that suggests he should be retained.

And not only him the rest of them that are with him in the bizzare coaching structure....

Questions also have to be asked of our board. For too long too many have absolved them from any direct responsibility from what actually happens on the park.

I'm completely scunnered with our club at the moment. We were woeful yesterday. Only one move of any note in 90 minutes as far as I'm concerned. It's the same week in and week out with pathetic performances and consistent defeats and has now been like this for YEARS.

It's not a nice thing sometimes to face the truth. However, our reluctance to accept that our disaster of a manager wanted out in the summer was really something else.

The manager is the most important person at the club. Regardless to how we feel let's not forget in Scottish terms not many jobs are bigger than being manager of our club.

Our board with CC have yet again sold us short.

agree and petrie out too.

ps can you add first division here we come at the end to title or whatever petrie called it last time. our great adventure or whatever

under cc hibs have never looked a good side in any game

I still want him to stay and think that he will turn it around. I was at the game yesterday and it was an all together disturbing occasion from what was going on on the pitch, jambos singing that they were paedos and scarves being thrown on the pitch. It's August, let's wait until October at the earliest and that may be when I return to this board. I think we have a better side than we did this time last year and I still believe it'll come good.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I've yet to see progress on the pitch (which is the most important and best barometer of progress).

But if I were to glean a positive to run alongside his mission statement, our squad and strength in depth is remarkably better than what it was when he took over. I don't even think we were outfought yesterday, we just had no gameplan or tactic I feel.

So, in terms of where I think we are in my opinion, he's built the squad now, he has two weeks to get them fit, to get the combinations right, to drill it into them what he expects and then he simply HAS to hit the ground running in our next game onwards.

To get to the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain. Well, we've been drenched by Tropical Storm Lolderwood, now is the time to push through it and come out fighting.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    All so depressing. I like many others don't want him to go because I desparately want us to stop this managerial merry go round. Believing that only some stability will get us where we should and ought to be...

However, aside from that I see nothing whatsoever that suggests he should be retained.

And not only him the rest of them that are with him in the bizzare coaching structure....

Questions also have to be asked of our board. For too long too many have absolved them from any direct responsibility from what actually happens on the park.

I'm completely scunnered with our club at the moment. We were woeful yesterday. Only one move of any note in 90 minutes as far as I'm concerned. It's the same week in and week out with pathetic performances and consistent defeats and has now been like this for YEARS.

It's not a nice thing sometimes to face the truth. However, our reluctance to accept that our disaster of a manager wanted out in the summer was really something else.

The manager is the most important person at the club. Regardless to how we feel let's not forget in Scottish terms not many jobs are bigger than being manager of our club.

Our board with CC have yet again sold us short.
    Completely agree Smurf. Especially the bit about the board.

CC has the month of September to change things. If we don't pick up a MINIMUM of 8 points he should get the bullet. I too don't want another merry go round but where do you draw the line? We have been absolutely atrocious so far this season.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    I would say that we are still in the short term and the doubters will have nothing much to carp on about in a few weeks.

Mind you, I can well understand peoples frustration with CC - I am as impatient as the rest - but he is obviously one of those careful methodical people who just won't be rushed. I have worked with such people in the past and they annoy the heck out of me since I could work so much quicker - however, at the end of the day they sometimes (if rarely, ) produce better work.

It took him a good while chopping and changing to figure out who to move on (a somewhat painful to watch process) but when he made his decisions they were the right ones.

Hearts did most of their transfer business in the first few weeks of the transfer window while CC has done his in the last few weeks (and again, a painful to watch process).

That said, people seem to be flinging any kind of rubbish criticism they can think of to throw at him.

If he sticks with a winning team he is wrong to do so and if he changes a winning team he is also wrong.

If he plays a 4-5-1 then he should have played a 4-4-2 and if he plays a 4-4-2 he should have played a 4-5-1.

And I really am beat as to where in left field the notion that Booth shouldn't be playing at LB has suddenly appeared from. OK, so he has been given a bit of a lesson in a couple of games by some pacey and tricky wing-play, but so what? The best LB's in the world can be turned over by a good winger without it qualifying them for the scrapheap.

If it was me I would have played Palsson and Scott instead of Thornhill and Murray, but who is to say my selection would have done any better - every time we lose against Hearts people come up with team selections that would have 'won'.

In a sense this is fair enough for a chat forum but to then take it the extra mile and use that opinion as a damning indictment of the manager is really a bit much.
    Last edited by Arch Stanton; 29-08-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Didn't know left from right

CC exits the managerial revolving door and another manager comes in ..... how long will they last ?

For many years ive faithfully obeyed the unofficial 11th commandment "thou shalt not criticise STF , he saved us". But its time the owner and Board were looked at critically in respect of that managerial revolving door. Managers are a convenient sacrificial lamb for Petrie who in turn attracts the flak that at other clubs might be directed at the owner.

Im not defending CC ... I just think that our high managerial turnover indicates that the problem goes beyond the man in the managers chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    CC exits the managerial revolving door and another manager comes in ..... how long will they last ?

For many years ive faithfully obeyed the unofficial 11th commandment "thou shalt not criticise STF , he saved us". But its time the owner and Board were looked at critically in respect of that managerial revolving door. Managers are a convenient sacrificial lamb for Petrie who in turn attracts the flak that at other clubs might be directed at the owner.

Im not defending CC ... I just think that our high managerial turnover indicates that the problem goes beyond the man in the managers chair.
    Err... does this mean that Calderwood should go or not? and if so, is it still Petrie's fault that there is such a high turnover of managers?

Most people on here wanted Mixu and Yogi to go, even more want to see the back of Calderwood. I fail to see how the board and Petrie (in particular) can come in for criticism for letting go managers that aren't winning football games.

Ok, maybe we should hire better managers in the first place but then again, hindsight is always 20/20 and personally thought (at the time) each of our managerial appointments was a 'fair shout'.

Does anyone really have any faith that the Board will be able to do any better picking the NEXT manager, even if CC got the bullet ? IMHO the Board now realise that they are basically crap at recruiting managers, and just avoiding the problem by hanging onto one of the worst managers I can remember in all my years of following Hibs.

I didn't think I'd ever see a manager at ER again as bad as Duffy. Clueless Colin is as bad, and in time will prove himself to be even worse

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

Any idea how long the short term runs for as I am ****ing sick of this?.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Any idea how long the short term runs for as I am ****ing sick of this?.
    When you look at the time our previous managers from McLeish onwards have been given, I'd say we are no longer in the short term.

Left by mutual consent! nortonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    I still want him to stay and think that he will turn it around. I was at the game yesterday and it was an all together disturbing occasion from what was going on on the pitch, jambos singing that they were paedos and scarves being thrown on the pitch. It's August, let's wait until October at the earliest and that may be when I return to this board. I think we have a better side than we did this time last year and I still believe it'll come good.
    We must have patience i agree but for how long i see no improvement in 10 months in fact i think this team is worse than what Yogi put together

Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    Does anyone really have any faith that the Board will be able to do any better picking the NEXT manager, even if CC got the bullet ? IMHO the Board now realise that they are basically crap at recruiting managers, and just avoiding the problem by hanging onto one of the worst managers I can remember in all my years of following Hibs.

I didn't think I'd ever see a manager at ER again as bad as Duffy. Clueless Colin is as bad, and in time will prove himself to be even worse
    we must calm down what you say is not possible there has to be something that the board and RP 120K Per year know that we do not in CC They totally trust, RP Had the chance to get rid and make a tidy profit

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    When you look at the time our previous managers from McLeish onwards have been given, I'd say we are no longer in the short term.
    Ach, I will give it a bit longer then, but I am starting to doubt myself.....................

Hard to disagree with the OP TBH.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    Thats probably the most worrying thing, we have better players and yet we are playing worse! That has to tell you something about the managers tactics are working, how to motivate a team and how training is.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    Thats probably the most worrying thing, we have better players and yet we are playing worse! That has to tell you something about the managers tactics are working, how to motivate a team and how training is.
    Rangers 0 Hibernian 3 Explain i am convinced RP Has an Ace up his sleeve

No, he shouldn't be sacked, it's too early in the season after backing him in the summer. Also, we're going to get much better very soon.

First Team Breakthrough hibby67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F'Res Hibbie View Post
    No, he shouldn't be sacked, it's too early in the season after backing him in the summer. Also, we're going to get much better very soon.

First Team Breakthrough
    Maybe we should just accept the fact that CC seemed like a reasonable appointment (at the time) - he wasn't my choice, but there were plenty on here saying that he ticked all the boxes - experience down south, not part of the Largs mafia etc etc. Maybe he talks a good game at job interviews, but as is plain now, the reality is somewhat different.
    However...to say that this means that the Board must also go is way over the top. They select the apparent best candidate (from the small pool who'd be interested), but there is no crystal ball. You can take all the precautions you like, but there is no guarantee that a winner can be identified from an interview.

Bite the bullet and start the process all over again, before the season is much older.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenil View Post
    Maybe he talks a good game at job interviews, but as is plain now, the reality is somewhat different.
    However...to say that this means that the Board must also go is way over the top. They select the apparent best candidate (from the small pool who'd be interested), but there is no crystal ball. You can take all the precautions you like, but there is no guarantee that a winner can be identified from an interview.
    I think we appreciate this, but Calderwood is not an isolated incident. Collins was unfortunate, Mixu was careless, Yogi was a big mistake and Calderwood is simply dire - our fourth poor appointment in a row! Given Mowbray was a success, a 20% ratio of good appointments when you are in charge of HR is a shocking stat. If they talk a good interview, it's the board's job to see that they're being BS'ed.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenil View Post
    Maybe we should just accept the fact that CC seemed like a reasonable appointment (at the time) - he wasn't my choice, but there were plenty on here saying that he ticked all the boxes - experience down south, not part of the Largs mafia etc etc. Maybe he talks a good game at job interviews, but as is plain now, the reality is somewhat different.

Bite the bullet and start the process all over again, before the season is much older.
    Small pool

Sometimes it's easy to say who's good and who's pish, but human nature dictates that you will recognise the bad times more than the good times. Believe me, I regocnise our current situation, Calderwood can hide behind his short-term, long-term pish, but I'm no having it. He is not the man for the job, we need a change, he has been given as long as any manager needs.

"We're done." Aye? Those signings are our pre-season dealings? You're having a laugh man....

Quote Originally Posted by S.mouse View Post
    I think we appreciate this, but Calderwood is not an isolated incident. Collins was unfortunate, Mixu was careless, Yogi was a big mistake and Calderwood is simply dire - our fourth poor appointment in a row! Given Mowbray was a success, a 20% ratio of good appointments when you are in charge of HR is a shocking stat. If they talk a good interview, it's the board's job to see that they're being BS'ed.
    IMHO Petrie's criteria for choosing a Hibs manager:

1. has low financial demands
    2. is a nice chap that Petrie can get along with
    3. may be a good manager

in that order.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post

1. has low financial demands
    You did say that it's your opinion, but what's it based on?

Do you really believe that a man who was 2nd in charge at an EPL club has low financial demands?

Or that the players Calderwood has signed fall into that category?

I don't and I don't think the board can be criticised for not backing this manager financially.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

The Hibs I saw on Sunday had the same old failings

• Outworked by Hearts
    • Outrun by Hearts
    • Outfought
    • Heids went down after first goal
    • Fans who went quiet after a first goal
    • Discipline went awry and our 'seasoned pros' put on a disgraceful show of petty fouls instead of trying to fight back with better football

Thos are not Calderwood's faults. These are the systemic problems we have had at Easter Road for years. The culture of underachievement has always been there and no manager (Not even Mowbray) has really been able to turn it around. Collins, Mixu, Yogi and Colin are not poor managers. Our club makes them look poor.

Our supporters continue to call for a new manager and whole new squad every year. I'm more concerned that we are ending up as the joke club of Scottish Football. Oh and Petrie is all but retired so changing the Chairman might please some on here but will achieve the square root of fluck all

Quote Originally Posted by 325EasterRoad View Post
    The Hibs I saw on Sunday had the same old failings

• Outworked by Hearts
    • Outrun by Hearts
    • Outfought
    • Heids went down after first goal
    • Fans who went quiet after a first goal
    • Discipline went awry and our 'seasoned pros' put on a disgraceful show of petty fouls instead of trying to fight back with better football

Thos are not Calderwood's faults. These are the systemic problems we have had at Easter Road for years. The culture of underachievement has always been there and no manager (Not even Mowbray) has really been able to turn it around. Collins, Mixu, Yogi and Colin are not poor managers. Our club makes them look poor.

Our supporters continue to call for a new manager and whole new squad every year. I'm more concerned that we are ending up as the joke club of Scottish Football. Oh and Petrie is all but retired so changing the Chairman might please some on here but will achieve the square root of fluck all
    I'm sure his salary has been amended to reflect that....