hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Tims to Be Reinstated??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14679531.stm

"According to a UEFA insider, FC Sion look likely to be tossed from the Europa League....[as a result of claims they fielded ineligible players]".

****ing hope not!!!!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

IT'S a CONSPIRACY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Why do you hope not? We need teams in Europe, I don't care how they stay in the competition.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Clutching at straws as usual.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"According to a UEFA insider, FC Sion look likely to be tossed from the Europa League....[as a result of claims they fielded ineligible players]".

****ing hope not!!!!
    In fairness to them (cough, spit) this has been rumbling on for months about Sion. They definitely violated the punishment that was issued by signing the players during the embargo. The question is whether that is legally enforceable. Sion are trying to use the law against football law to wriggle out of a situation of their own making.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Tó Madeira View Post
    Why do you hope not? We need teams in Europe, I don't care how they stay in the competition.
    Because over 2 legs, they proved they weren't good enough to compete with a team who beat them comfortably.

If they had gone through on merit, then fair enough, but to see Celtc getting through on a "technicality" would be them all over.

If there was any doubt about FC Sion or their players, they shouldn't have been allowed to start the second leg - they should have kicked them out after the leg at Porkheid, where the same players took to the field!

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Most teams will deal with defeat by licking their wounds and trying to get better. Celtic's recent response has been to pull out the rule book and argue for a ruling in their favour (whether it's Europe, Lennon's touchline bans, etc.)

If they were to benefit from Sion's expulsion by being reinstated that's one thing, for them to be writing to UEFA in protest (and obviously agitating for Sion's expulsion) that's quite another thing. That's why I hope they fail and Sion are e.g.fined, made to play matches behind closed doors etc. rather than allowing a well-beaten Celtic to progress.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Most teams will deal with defeat by licking their wounds and trying to get better. Celtic's recent response has been to pull out the rule book and argue for a ruling in their favour (whether it's Europe, Lennon's touchline bans, etc.)

If they were to benefit from Sion's expulsion by being reinstated that's one thing, for them to be writing to UEFA in protest (and obviously agitating for Sion's expulsion) that's quite another thing. That's why I hope they fail and Sion are e.g.fined, made to play matches behind closed doors etc. rather than allowing a well-beaten Celtic to progress.
    And if it was us with a chance of being reinstated, would it be ok then? I'm all for this. It's embarrassing having all three teams knocked out last night although in fairness we can't fault Hearts, they got an unlucky draw. I spent most of last night convincing my Rangers supporting mate that Maribor are actually a very good team, but the fact still remains that Rangers should have put them to bed at Ibrox. Celtic are in the same boat. They lost, but there's a chance of being reinstated and the fact remains that for our country to improve in the future we need a good coefficient to give teams like US the chance to qualify for Europe.

Celtic were well and truely beaten; they don't deserve to go through.

And if it was us with a chance of being reinstated, would it be ok then? I'm all for this. It's embarrassing having all three teams knocked out last night although in fairness we can't fault Hearts, they got an unlucky draw. I spent most of last night convincing my Rangers supporting mate that Maribor are actually a very good team, but the fact still remains that Rangers should have put them to bed at Ibrox. Celtic are in the same boat. They lost, but there's a chance of being reinstated and the fact remains that for our country to improve in the future we need a good coefficient to give teams like US the chance to qualify for Europe.
    No - it would be embarrassing.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Gamer IDs

Them being reinstated on a technicality will NOT improve our current predicament. They weren't good enough to beat Sion, and won't get a coefficient boosting result by being reinstated. If they couldn't beat Sion, they'll get utterly beasted by the many better teams who would lie in wait in the next stage.

Them obtaining £5 million they didn't earn and a second chance at European football because UEFA didn't take action in advance of the tie (as UEFA knew about the Sion issues LONG before the first leg kicked off) isn't a solution to anything!

@hibs.net private member Dirkster23's Avatar
    Them being reinstated on a technicality will NOT improve our current predicament. They weren't good enough to beat Sion, and won't get a coefficient boosting result by being reinstated. If they couldn't beat Sion, they'll get utterly beasted by the many better teams who would lie in wait in the next stage.

Them obtaining £5 million they didn't earn and a second chance at European football because UEFA didn't take action in advance of the tie (as UEFA knew about the Sion issues LONG before the first leg kicked off) isn't a solution to anything!
    I'm no fan of the Club, but you seem to have a real problem with Celtc.

Any points they pick up in the group stages will improve Scotlands coefficient. Do you honestly think they won't pick up any, especially at home?

It seems clear that UEFA couldn't take any action against Sion until their appeals had been heard in various courts. Now that's done and they've agreed with UEFA its down to their Control and Disciplinary Board to decide their fate.
    Happy as Larry!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkster23 View Post

Any points they pick up in the group stages will improve Scotlands coefficient. Do you honestly think they won't pick up any, especially at home?

It seems clear that UEFA couldn't take any action against Sion until their appeals had been heard in various courts. Now that's done and they've agreed with UEFA its down to their Control and Disciplinary Board to decide their fate.
    I do have a problem with them, aye - if Celtc were so bothered about this, why did THEY wait until they had been papped out before anything was mentioned? The amount of times they've resorted to chasing legal loopholes of late or whining to the authorities about various perceived injustices is enough to make ANYONE have a real issue with them.

UEFA's representatives, including Michel Platini, have already stated that the outcome of the court appeal will have no bearing on UEFA policy, so the last point doesn't wash to be honest.
    Last edited by Sylar; 26-08-2011 at 01:11 PM.

@hibs.net private member Dirkster23's Avatar
    I do have a problem with them, aye - if Celtc were so bothered about this, why did THEY wait until they had been papped out before anything was mentioned? The amount of times they've resorted to chasing legal loopholes of late or whining to the authorities about various perceived injustices is enough to make ANYONE have a real issue with them.

UEFA's representatives, including Michel Platini, have already stated that the outcome of the court appeal will have no bearing on UEFA policy, so the last point doesn't wash to be honest.
    It was known before the first leg that Sion had appeals in the courts and a decision wouldn't be known until after the second leg. If memory serves me right, UEFA stated back then that they wouldn't be making a decision until the Court of Arbitration for Sport had heard the case. That now appears to have happend and they've agreed with UEFA.

Celtc could only complain to UEFA once Sion had played the players concerned.
    Happy as Larry!

Blog Entries
    Who cares if Celtic get through by default? The records show that they were well and truly humped by a pub team and can only lead to their mounting self doubt.

ps If they're lucky enough to get through this time, it will be an even greater embarrassment when they get cuffed in the next round.
    Last edited by Jim44; 26-08-2011 at 01:28 PM.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    If Sion have cheated then I have no problem with Celtic being reinstated. Plenty folk on here complain about Hearts cheating and not being punished for it.

Left by mutual consent!
    When the Turkish team got withdrawn from the champs league the other night they were replaced by another Turkish team.

Would this not mean if Sion are removed then another Swiss team goes in?

Or does it make a difference because the Turks were withdrawn by their FA and Sion may be withdrawn by UEFA?

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo

****ing hope not!!!!
    Reinstated or not Celtic in Europe this season will be short lived

Even if Celtic did not appeal they were always in a chance with being reinstated as Sion issue was known about before the game. And would they have beaten Celtic without the ineligible players whom they chose to play despite knowing there was a risk of expulsion?

Glad there are some less-paranoid Hibs fans on here who are recognising that we would want to go through in same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker II View Post
    Even if Celtic did not appeal they were always in a chance with being reinstated as Sion issue was known about before the game. And would they have beaten Celtic without the ineligible players whom they chose to play despite knowing there was a risk of expulsion?

Glad there are some less-paranoid Hibs fans on here who are recognising that we would want to go through in same situation.
    I'm not sure that a dislike for Celtic or a contempt for how they conduct themselves is reflective of paranoia. Maybe it's just because they're not a very nice club?
    ​#PERSEVERED

The same thing has happened in the scottish cup a few times. A team has fielded ineligible players,they are chucked out and the team they beat replaces them.
    Sion knew there was a chance this could happen, and if they dont follow the rules why should they go through. No fan of Celtic but dont see what they have done wrong here.
    It,s UEFA who make and enforce the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Who cares if Celtic get through by default? The records show that they were well and truly humped by a pub team and can only lead to their mounting self doubt.

ps If they're lucky enough to get through this time, it will be an even greater embarrassment when they get cuffed in the next round.
    Describing a decent Swiss team as a pub team is a good demonstration of the delusions of grandeur that afflict Scottish fans.Surely there is no next round-is it not a league section now?The owner of Sion makes Vlad look normal.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Celtic will go on to win the Europa league. The headline writers this morning and the scottish football naysayers will be left with egg on their faces.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirkster23 View Post

noticed this on more than a few occasions
    Quote Originally Posted by lEXO View Post
    The same thing has happened in the scottish cup a few times. A team has fielded ineligible players,they are chucked out and the team they beat replaces them.
    Sion knew there was a chance this could happen, and if they dont follow the rules why should they go through. No fan of Celtic but dont see what they have done wrong here.
    It,s UEFA who make and enforce the rules.
    exactly and they still stuck two fingers up, incredibly stupid even with just a threat hanging over them, if a scottish team benefits then good.

p.s. can i just add, i dont class hertz as a scottish club, they are a lithuanian club with permission to play in scotland, that is all ta
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 26-08-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker II View Post

Paranoid? nah, I just hate the ****. Nor can I be ersed with OF sympathisers like you, particularly when you're more than happy tae continually take swipes at Hibs.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 26-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Paranoid? nah, I just hate the ****. Nor can I be ersed with OF sympathisers like you, particularly when you're more than happy tae continually tae swipes at Hibs.
    Stop sitting on the fence Dan and say what you mean!

Celtic got beaten and well beaten at that. I dont think they should embarass the nation any further and just let it go.

Sion should have played the ties without the players bought in after the transfer embargo, then if they had still won, there would be no problem,

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibiedude View Post
    Reinstated or not Celtic in Europe this season will be short lived
    Six games is hardly short lived , wish it was us !
    ggtth

Technically Celtic should be given a reprive into the group stages

Luckily if they are given such a thing they are going to get humped in the group stages and will be lucky to finish 3rd

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    What are Vale of Leven saying about this?