hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SHERiFF WO0DY

your first holiday with your friends

not sure if this is the right place to put this but admins feel free to move.

me and my friends are trying to book a holiday for a big group of us for next year and i was interested to hear any good tips, stories, where to avoid, where to go from the people on here who have done this before?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Depends what you're looking for but if it's a group of young lads looking a cheap pish up and all related bedlam then you can't go wrong with Magaluf.

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends what you're looking for but if it's a group of young lads looking a cheap pish up and all related bedlam then you can't go wrong with Magaluf.
    I'll second that... Only been back for a week from Maga and it is excellent for a lads holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by blairwallace View Post

me and my friends are trying to book a holiday for a big group of us for next year and i was interested to hear any good tips, stories, where to avoid, where to go from the people on here who have done this before?
    Marmaris in Turkey ..cracking weather ..plenty nightlife ..decent beer & cracking £ rate tae the Turkish Lira...

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

we're pretty undecided but its between magaluf (martinique apartments) and malia (frixos hotel)

Kos - kardemena. Best lads holidays I ever went on was to there.

First Team Breakthrough stevensons-fan's Avatar
    Our first holiday away was to Malia and it was amazing! Would highly recommend it although I know a lot of people went to Maga this summer so either way you will have a top holiday

Faliraki in Rhodes was a bit mental to say the least, that was 20 years ago, they might have finished building it by now!

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Two bits of advice that i'd give to young folk going away, are to get good flight times/airport and to make sure its a young persons hotel you're staying at.

Too many people book stupid flight times from say Manchester Airport when they stay in Edinburgh just because its maybe £50 cheaper. Be prepared to pay that wee bit extra to fly from say Edinburgh or Glasgow at a reasonable hour, rather than being asked to commute somewhere at an additional cost and time. If possible, i'd suggest an early morning/afternoon flight from Edinburgh to your destination and then a late afternoon flight home - remember, you'll get kicked out your accommodation by 11am on the day you're due to leave so you don't want to be flying home at 11pm at night!

As for the hotel itself, make sure its a young peoples' place or you'll end up getting turfed out in the first few nights and paying more to get another hotel. Certain hotels know what they're going to get from a group of youngsters and are a bit more tolerant when it comes to breaking beds, making a mess, etc.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Magaluf in 98 seems a lifetime ago ! Was there for the World cup and it was just a much pishdness party for 2 whole weeks

And i had a burd for every night i was there, ..They were the days!.

been to Malia and Zante and Malia was just unreal.

But you can't go wrong with Magaluf, Kos, Kavos, Ayia Napa, Cancun, Sunny Beach, Ibiza etc.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Faliraki in Rhodes was a bit mental to say the least, that was 20 years ago, they might have finished building it by now!
    I went to Faliaraki this summer (Unfortunately). It's a *****hole. Wouldn't go back. We still had a good laugh, got ****faced and got plenty birds but I'd defo never recommend it to anyone. Was expensive too.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Go too magaluf, not long back from Malia and the Greek economy is in tatters meaning that all the bars have signed a union deal meaning theyall charge the same prices for drinks and there are now no deals, looking at about 5 euro a drink wherever you go, don't get me wrong still an amazing holiday but your money will go further in magaluf. To be honest though out of the potential clubbing lads holiday places you have picked the worst two imo.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Went to Maga last year, carnage

Seemingly prices in Malia will be fired right up next year because of the huge amount of people wanting to go there because of the Inbetweeners movie, could be pish but wouldnt surprise me.

Was in Bulgaria this year, great holiday but the nightlife wasn't anywhere near as good as Maga was, despite the birds being beyond stunning!

First Team Breakthrough aazza91's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: azmo14
    we're pretty undecided but its between magaluf (martinique apartments) and malia (frixos hotel)
    Stayed in the Martinique last year, decent hotel. It was big, had a decent size pool, 5 a side's and tennis.
    Was about a 10min walk tops to the main strip and even less to BCM square and the beach. Would reccomend it!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    Two bits of advice that i'd give to young folk going away, are to get good flight times/airport and to make sure its a young persons hotel you're staying at.

Too many people book stupid flight times from say Manchester Airport when they stay in Edinburgh just because its maybe £50 cheaper. Be prepared to pay that wee bit extra to fly from say Edinburgh or Glasgow at a reasonable hour, rather than being asked to commute somewhere at an additional cost and time. If possible, i'd suggest an early morning/afternoon flight from Edinburgh to your destination and then a late afternoon flight home - remember, you'll get kicked out your accommodation by 11am on the day you're due to leave so you don't want to be flying home at 11pm at night!

As for the hotel itself, make sure its a young peoples' place or you'll end up getting turfed out in the first few nights and paying more to get another hotel. Certain hotels know what they're going to get from a group of youngsters and are a bit more tolerant when it comes to breaking beds, making a mess, etc.
    good advice.

Another piece of advice: don't even think about arguing with bouncers. It's not like here where you get away with being a knob and 'starting on them'. When i was in zante i saw guys getting battered with clubs, thrown down stairsand one guy even got pushed into a moving car.

book a villa with a pool if there are a few of you as it is much better and doesnt cost much more

greece was always better than spain for me but heard croatia is very good

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by aazza91 View Post
    Stayed in the Martinique last year, decent hotel. It was big, had a decent size pool, 5 a side's and tennis.
    Was about a 10min walk tops to the main strip and even less to BCM square and the beach. Would reccomend it!
    I stayed in these apartments mid 90s, proper dodgy territory at night when getting dropped off my taxis if my memory recalls...great holiday but looking back now it is actually everything I hate about these resorts!!

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aazza91 View Post
    Same place I stayed at last year By the third night we were on our last warning and had been fined 80 euros

First Team Breakthrough
    Went to Napa last year, and Malia this year. Both expensive unfortunately, but I seen last the final days with one small note left as a mere challenge!

Highlight from Napa had to be the first night at the scottish bar. Steven Fletcher, Paul Hanlon and a few reserves and players who have left all there as well. At the end of the night/start of the morning they play the dancier version of Zorba the Greek. The place went mental. Quite good to see that side of footballers!

Highlight of Malia was a little man going by the name of Spartacus at The Golden Lion at the top of the strip. Cult hero to say the least

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lewyhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty-Hibee View Post
    Went to Napa last year, and Malia this year. Both expensive unfortunately, but I seen last the final days with one small note left as a mere challenge!

Highlight from Napa had to be the first night at the scottish bar. Steven Fletcher, Paul Hanlon and a few reserves and players who have left all there as well. At the end of the night/start of the morning they play the dancier version of Zorba the Greek. The place went mental. Quite good to see that side of footballers!

Highlight of Malia was a little man going by the name of Spartacus at The Golden Lion at the top of the strip. Cult hero to say the least

Malia was so good i'm going back!

First Team Breakthrough
    Somebody I know just got back from Magaluf, don't bother. They all call it '****apoof' now for obvious reasons. If the OP is over 21 then you can't go wrong with Ibiza. We've Got Malia booked for 2012 though

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sodje_18 View Post
    Somebody I know just got back from Magaluf, don't bother. They all call it '****apoof' now for obvious reasons. If the OP is over 21 then you can't go wrong with Ibiza. We've Got Malia booked for 2012 though
    i'll see you there, you flying from glasgow?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodje_18 View Post
    Agree with this.

We all went after we finished school, so were all like 18, and seemed the youngest ones there by a mile. Still had a quality time, met loads of people, but looking back, if we had to choose again, would go somewhere else.

Would love to go back now though!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daniel1875
    If your going to magaluf, I wouldnt stay anywhere else other than Mallorca Rocks. They have gigs every tuesday, mcdonalds at the bottom of the road and 5 minutes from the strip!