hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So what's the equivalent standard of the SPL then?

We have talked in last year or two that the hibs team would be graded as league 1. I reckon I am now resigned to our league being lower after watching tonight.

What's our English equivalent in your eyes?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Very bottom of the Championship into League 1

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Mid-Top League 1. Depressing stuff.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    I watch German football here regularly. I reckon we're no better than Liga 3, the lowest pro league.

I think we are being supremely optimistic quoting championship. I think bottom league 2.

Relegation from Championship, OF as they are at the moment - play offs at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Mainwaring View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very bottom of the Championship into League 1
    That's probably about right, though I would suggest that the Old Firm are the bottom of the Championship and the rest of us are, at best, in mid table in League One.

League 1, at our famous best.

Hibs are probably as good as a middle of the table team in League One.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    We have talked in last year or two that the hibs team would be graded as league 1. I reckon I am now resigned to our league being lower after watching tonight.

Football Combination.

Fact is that we can produce better players than we can afford to buy and should be concentrating on bringing more players through the youth set up.

I think League 1 is being kind - we would be a mid to top League 2 side.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I reckon a few teams in the spl would hold their own in the championship, some of the games i watched last season were dire and thats with them spending a lot more on players

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    OF would be lower Premiership/top half Championship. Rest of the league would be lower Championship on a sliding scale into upper league 1.

Hearts were awful in the first half. If they'd came out battling then they would never have lost by 5. Tactics were dire.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    That's probably about right, though I would suggest that the Old Firm are the bottom of the Championship and the rest of us are, at best, in mid table in League One.

That would be my opinion having watched Bournemouth a few times.

To be fair Spurs are a very good side, was it last 8? in champs league last season?

And a possible reason that they're playing in the Europa league this season is down to them not being able to sustain results in the EPL due to their run in europe.

Bottom of the Championship / League One is probably about right.

European results tonight really hit home - Rangers and Hearts lose (or pumped in Hearts case!) while Celtic look like drawing at home (so they're effectively out too, no danger they will win away from home) while Stoke win away from home, Fulham give Dnipro a do-in and Birmingham pick up a decent enough result away from home too...it's when our teams play in Europe you really see how cr@p our league has become!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    OF would be lower Premiership/top half Championship. Rest of the league would be lower Championship on a sliding scale into upper league 1.

Hearts were awful in the first half. If they'd came out battling then they would never have lost by 5. Tactics were dire.
    Spurs never left 2nd gear all game, if they treated it like an EPL game it would be going on 10 easy imo

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post

In the long term, the OF's crowds would see them mid-EPL.

Us, the Dons and Hertz could expect to climb from League One once the t.v. money kicked in.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Before we go kicking our own game to much, before we joined these leagues would we get to spend what they do in the transfer market? If the old firm had a budget similiar to a top premiership side they'd do fine down there and if we had the same budget as a lower premiership/championship side we'd be competitive down there but right now of course we're not as good as the championship, it'd be ridiculous to expect us to be.

A country with a population about 10x the size of ours with billions to spend more than us shouldn't be a benchmark for how good our league is, far more conerning for the state of the league is that both the old firm are on the wrong end of bad results against teams from similar sized countries.

The dumbos getting pumped by spurs, enjoyable though it was doesnt tell us anything about the state of our game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post

League 2 except OF who would be bottom half Champ.

I think some people may be overeacting a wee tad when trying to analyse the standard of the SPL. Lets not forget how well Spurs did in the CL last season. They are probably roughly on a par with sides like Arsenal , Man City and Liverpool.

If Hibs played in England they'd probably be in a relegation fight in The Championship or upper level of League 1 but not as far down as League 2.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    I generally see Sheffield Wednesday 4-5 times a year and Hibs would be top half of League 1 on current form but given the same budget as the Championship clubs could comfortably hold their own in that division.

The lack of investment in the Scottish game has brought it to it's knees.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Hibs when they're on top form (which seems so long ago) could easily battle it out in the middle of the Championship league.

The current Hibs team would struggle in League 1.

And if we were to get relegated to the first division on our current form, I don't think we'd be getting straight back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Fact is that we can produce better players than we can afford to buy and should be concentrating on bringing more players through the youth set up.
    I am with you 100%. Not easy to do, it has to be said, but this is the way we should go, whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Before we go kicking our own game to much, before we joined these leagues would we get to spend what they do in the transfer market? If the old firm had a budget similiar to a top premiership side they'd do fine down there and if we had the same budget as a lower premiership/championship side we'd be competitive down there but right now of course we're not as good as the championship, it'd be ridiculous to expect us to be.

A country with a population about 10x the size of ours with billions to spend more than us shouldn't be a benchmark for how good our league is, far more conerning for the state of the league is that both the old firm are on the wrong end of bad results against teams from similar sized countries.

The dumbos getting pumped by spurs, enjoyable though it was doesnt tell us anything about the state of our game IMO.
    While I agree with your point when comparing our game to EPL, why do our teams so regularly get embarrassed in Europe? Bar Rangers and Celtic getting to the UEFA / Europa League Final, the results of our teams in Europe have been shocking.

While lack of investment is one part of the problem, the way we go about the game is certainly a factor too - most players in Scotland treat a football like a hot potato, or hoof it up the park in the hope someone wins a knockdown or a loose ball. When you look at teams abroad (including nations with a population as small as ours) they get the basics right that we fail to do - play the simple pass if nothing else is on and don't be afraid to keep hold of the ball and wait for the right pass, even with opposition players around you...."man on" in Scotland generally means "get the ball to ****!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    I generally see Sheffield Wednesday 4-5 times a year and Hibs would be top half of League 1 on current form but given the same budget as the Championship clubs could comfortably hold their own in that division.

The lack of investment in the Scottish game has brought it to it's knees.
    I would say it's a lot more than the lack of investment in players. In my opinion, the more important factors would be: SKY tv, the number of cars on Scottish roads, the Largs mafia, 10/12 team league and last, but by no means least, the growing sickness which surrounds the old firm. All this without mentioning youth football, of which I have no knowledge.

If this game had been played 20 years ago, even with Lineker & Gazza, the ****bos would never have taken such a tanking.

I was told the other day by a Huddersfield fan......

Colin Nish was fantastic last night and the best player on the pitch. I'm surprised Hibs let him go.

Do I think Hibs would beat Hudderfield Town - Yes I do.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    While I agree with your point when comparing our game to EPL, why do our teams so regularly get embarrassed in Europe? Bar Rangers and Celtic getting to the UEFA / Europa League Final, the results of our teams in Europe have been shocking.

While lack of investment is one part of the problem, the way we go about the game is certainly a factor too - most players in Scotland treat a football like a hot potato, or hoof it up the park in the hope someone wins a knockdown or a loose ball. When you look at teams abroad (including nations with a population as small as ours) they get the basics right that we fail to do - play the simple pass if nothing else is on and don't be afraid to keep hold of the ball and wait for the right pass, even with opposition players around you...."man on" in Scotland generally means "get the ball to ****!!"
    Competely agree with all you say i just don't think hertz getting pumped the night has any relevance whatsoever in the debate about how pish our game is.

IMO it's down to a lack of indoor facilities and the time of year we play, the coaches spend more time trying to keep the players warm rather than improving their technical ability, if a player is doing something wrong is he going to make him stand there in the freezing cold doing it over and over again until he gets it right? doubt it the boy would lose interest and freeze!

I also think there's the general standard pass the buck answer of 'we need to look at the grassroots' is part of the problem, when was the last time you heard about a young scottish team doing badly at an international tournament? I don't have any involvement with youth football but i keep hearing about the likes of hibs doing well at that italian tournament but it never comes to anything so IMO the problem isn't with grassroots, it's the ability to turn the young players at 13/14 years old into good players at 15-20 years old thats the problem.

How we fix it i don't know but we need to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tubs View Post
    I would say it's a lot more than the lack of investment in players. In my opinion, the more important factors would be: SKY tv, the number of cars on Scottish roads, the Largs mafia, 10/12 team league and last, but by no means least, the growing sickness which surrounds the old firm. All this without mentioning youth football, of which I have no knowledge.

If this game had been played 20 years ago, even with Lineker & Gazza, the ****bos would never have taken such a tanking.
    This actually did happen and the score was 1-1(pre-season friendly). My Yam uncle took me along so as I could see Gazza play(post 90' world cup hysteria style).