hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds

Wotherspoon and Hanlon

Why the hell are these two exempt from critisism!? Can someone please tell me what David Wotherspoon offers to the team please? He has no pace, can't/doesn't take anybody on and is woeful at passing, plus hes far too lightweight! Halon is in the same vain, but no one ever seems to bring it up. so often hes caught out of position and costs us goals on end. Stephens should be no where near the starting 11, he again just isn't the solution and should be eased into the team and learn his trade on the training field. As soon as O'Hanlons fit GET HIM BACK IN! Our defense is shocking, too young and soft, with the exception of Booth who gives his all and has alot of good attributes. I'm sick of watching players with the quality of Stephens, Wotherspoon, Stevenson etc. other Hibees might be accepting of it, but sorry, the players mentioned are NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Rant over.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HailHail1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why the hell are these two exempt from critisism!? Can someone please tell me what David Wotherspoon offers to the team please? He has no pace, can't/doesn't take anybody on and is woeful at passing, plus hes far too lightweight! Halon is in the same vain, but no one ever seems to bring it up. so often hes caught out of position and costs us goals on end. Stephens should be no where near the starting 11, he again just isn't the solution and should be eased into the team and learn his trade on the training field. As soon as O'Hanlons fit GET HIM BACK IN! Our defense is shocking, too young and soft, with the exception of Booth who gives his all and has alot of good attributes. I'm sick of watching players with the quality of Stephens, Wotherspoon, Stevenson etc. other Hibees might be accepting of it, but sorry, the players mentioned are NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Rant over.
    DW has done eff all for about 18 months now.. The quicker he along with Sproule are left warming the bench the better...

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    maybe quite a few posters dont rate them, but dont want the hassle of saying so on here

I don't think they are exempt from criticism. I have seen Hanlon being criticised on numerous occasions on here and I have said a number of times that Wotherspoon should be nowhere near the first XI. He's barely kicked a ball for 18 months.

I agree totally, i blame Yogi for hampering Spoonys development by playing him at RB in a poor team and was caught out regularly He showed great promise when he broke into the team in midfield. Hanlon to me needs to be dropped and worked on extensively in training, you're right , he is too lightweight. I would add Murray to the equation, he is simply not good enough and contributes little. If he plays in the derby i fear he will lose the plot and be sent packing, along with Sproule i might add, 3 games now and he's had a swipe at an opposing player in 2 of them.

Witherspoon is garbage and should be punted ASAP.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Wotherspoon was pish today. FACT.
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post
    Wotherspoon was pish today. FACT.
    Just today ???

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I agree totally, i blame Yogi for hampering Spoonys development by playing him at RB in a poor team and was caught out regularly He showed great promise when he broke into the team in midfield. Hanlon to me needs to be dropped and worked on extensively in training, you're right , he is too lightweight. I would add Murray to the equation, he is simply not good enough and contributes little. If he plays in the derby i fear he will lose the plot and be sent packing, along with Sproule i might add, 3 games now and he's had a swipe at an opposing player in 2 of them.
    You blame Yogi?

Priceless. Worherspoons only decent games all came at right back. He was part of a back four that had our best defensive record for several decades up to that Christmas.

Promising Youngster The Hurricane's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Alexaaaander x
    Spot on about Hanlon, I'm not saying the lad doesn't have good potential and looks very comfortable with the ball but lacks the positional sense, hard-tackling and heading ability to be a good centre half at this point in time. When you look at last season, we had the worst defence in the league in which he played virtually every match, something has to change.

Wotherspoon and Hanlon were both piss poor today.

Wotherspoon has done nothing for God knows how long now, Hanlon has been so hyped up by some on here without delivering the performances to back it up.

In saying that i don't think either is exempt from criticism, there have been plenty folk having a pop at them today. I think fans might be a bit more willing to forgive poor performances from our own young players though and thats why they don't get the same 'abuse' that others have been given.

Actually, I've said Hanlon isn't good enough loads of time on here, but it gets to the point where you get bored of getting shouted down and insulted for saying something that is true. It's not Hanlon's fault and I don't want to get at him - it's the manager's fault for not signing other, better CBs. Until he cuts out his weekly mistakes, Hanlon should be back up, nothing more.

As for Wotherspoon and Stevenson, Spoony was only any good when he was at RB, so why don't we put him back there? Then we can put Palsson into the centre, where he is more comfortable. Stevenson is a nothing player as far as I'm concerned. He is only capable of making easy, pass the buck style passes, and looks way out of his depth. His performance in the 2007 LC Final was grossly overrated, and he has done bugger all since.

Out of interest, I'd like to know our win/loss ration when Stevenson is in the starting XI, because it must be pretty bad.

Just because they 'haven't been criticised enough', you feel you should single them out for special criticism after today? The whole team were a shambles. On today's showing noone is good enough. But imo it was just a bad day at the office - every player on that park is capable of so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by PISTOL1875 View Post
    Just today ???
    Fair point, but today was the worst I've seen him in weeks.
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwhibs View Post
    Just because they 'haven't been criticised enough', you feel you should single them out for special criticism after today? The whole team were a shambles. On today's showing noone is good enough. But imo it was just a bad day at the office - every player on that park is capable of so much more.
    Think you're probably right.

Left by mutual consent!
    I blame Yogi as well.. DW was shunted about like a rag doll.. Different position every few weeks.. Once he got used to playing a role then he would be moved into another position.. He should've been left at RB and got on with playing there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You blame Yogi?

Priceless. Worherspoons only decent games all came at right back. He was part of a back four that had our best defensive record for several decades up to that Christmas.
    I said i blame his development on Yogi, he was never a RB in a million years. A s for the best defensive record, anyone who went to those games KNEW we were riding our luck big time in defence, and so it proved in the latter part of that season and the season after.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You blame Yogi?

Wotherspoon went downhill when Yogi started tampering with the team and pushed him into midfield. Amazingly, going by recent interviews, Wotherspoon still seems to think he is an attacking midfielder. A decent manager would have sorted him out by now. He looked a potential £3M player at RB, but now he is a waste of space.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sesoim View Post

Out of interest, I'd like to know our win/loss ration when Stevenson is in the starting XI, because it must be pretty bad.

our win/loss ratio has been terrible for nearly two seasons now, whether the wee man was playing or not, but i do agree regarding him, he should never have been given a 12 month extension

Left by mutual consent!
    The last good game spoony had?
    Can anyone tell which year that was.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    The last good game spoony had?
    Can anyone tell which year that was.
    Spot on Ronnie..

I said i blame his development on Yogi, he was never a RB in a million years. A s for the best defensive record, anyone who went to those games KNEW we were riding our luck big time in defence, and so it proved in the latter part of that season and the season after.
    I thought he was great at right back. And as for Yogi being culpable for his poor recent performances... I seem to remember the majority of us wanting him moved further up the park as he was "wasted at right back" I always thought Spoon's natural posiiton would be in the middle of the park, but I'm starting to think he'd be better off moving to right back to try capture his best form.
    He was rubbish again today. When Booth was getting forward, he wasn't slotting back in to cover and we were left exposed down that wing so many times it was embarassing.You can see it in his body language when he's having a bad game which is becoming a bit of a worry. He almost lost the rag on a few occasions today and should probably have been sent off before he got subbed.

With regards to Hanlon, I'm willing to give him time. He's still young and his performances are a bit up and down for us. On occasions last season he and Dickoh were great. He's the Scotland U-21 captain and has a big future with this club IMHO. It can't be Stephens to be his partner at CB though. The defence needs someone with good organisation skills and a wealth of experience and hopefully once O'Hanlon is fit again, we'll see a better, more consistent Paul Hanlon.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: magseven7
    They are both only 21 years old. We have bugger all else in the squad who are capable of doing any better else they would be dropped. Yes, the defence situation needs sorted out but at the moment it's all we have. Both guys have been regular starters the last two years in piss poor teams. Wotherspoon especially has played RB, CM, LM, RM and even striker. IMO his best position is right back and he had some very good games in that position. The criticism he receives on here is unbelieveable. How is a 21 year old meant to improve or have any confidence whatsoever when he gets slated every week from the stands? Yes he was poor today but so was our captain Ian Murray and he somehow escapes pelters even though he turns in dross performances week in week out. At least Wotherspoon looked as though he was trying and on a positive note, managed to deliver a couple of good balls into the box which is more than can be said with the experienced Mr Sproule. The negativity that gets spouted on this board is crazy.

Whole lot p1sh today. Pallson, good player , fish out of water at right back

Wotherspoon would not break into this team if he was part of the current U19s. His form has carried over from last season and he has been poor for a while and I cannot understand why he is being played so regularly. He needs to be dropped and brought back in on the Right side of the pitch. Gave away the foul against Celtic when he should at least committed it on the halfway line...and Celtic scored their first goal. Made another woeful challenge today and Killie scored from a dangerous area. He's lost on the Left IMHO. I thought the guys who played best against Sunderland, played worst today - Stephens, Hanlon, Murray and Palsson. Osborne looks very decent.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Wotherspoon and Hanlon were both piss poor today.

Wotherspoon has done nothing for God knows how long now, Hanlon has been so hyped up by some on here without delivering the performances to back it up.

In saying that i don't think either is exempt from criticism, there have been plenty folk having a pop at them today. I think fans might be a bit more willing to forgive poor performances from our own young players though and thats why they don't get the same 'abuse' that others have been given.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by magnificent_seven View Post
    They are both only 21 years old. We have bugger all else in the squad who are capable of doing any better else they would be dropped. Yes, the defence situation needs sorted out but at the moment it's all we have. Both guys have been regular starters the last two years in piss poor teams. Wotherspoon especially has played RB, CM, LM, RM and even striker. IMO his best position is right back and he had some very good games in that position. The criticism he receives on here is unbelieveable. How is a 21 year old meant to improve or have any confidence whatsoever when he gets slated every week from the stands? Yes he was poor today but so was our captain Ian Murray and he somehow escapes pelters even though he turns in dross performances week in week out. At least Wotherspoon looked as though he was trying and on a positive note, managed to deliver a couple of good balls into the box which is more than can be said with the experienced Mr Sproule. The negativity that gets spouted on this board is crazy.
    I think you need to take the WOTHERSPECS off Mag seven. The lad needs a rest, and we're only just starting out in a long hard season ahead. Imo he's been pushed from pillar to post and it's not developed his game whatsoever. He needs stability and so do we.

His best games imo have been when he first got into the team and was going past players for fun, and then when he had a spell at right back.

I've not criticised DW at all for his effort but due to all of the above he needs a rest and a focus back on his game. Not negative, just realistic.

Any idiot can say so and so is no good. What we need is a manager who knows who is good enough.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I can't understand why our best right back is playing midfield and a better midfielder is playing right back? Explain that one colin.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I can't understand why our best right back is playing midfield and a better midfielder is playing right back? Explain that one colin.
    Total football and who the fluck is Colin