hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PR Machine

@hibs.net private member

PR Machine

I really am starting to find the negativity catching, so rather than join the band wagon I thought how would I change things at Easter Road? I have come up with several ideas but believe the biggest thing that needs to change before Hibs go into melt down is.. We need to Sort the Public Relations out and fast. Hibs are a sleeping giant and lets be totally honest we all want the best for our proud and historic club, however surely the club should know that it's greatest assets are the fans that pay their hard earned cash to go and watch them. That buy the strips and pay for Hibs TV scarfs and numerous other Hibs Items. If Hibs sorted out the PR Machine and we got Honest statements coming out of Easter Road whether this was good or bad ie Signings not getting signings and why we never got them, maybe just maybe it would be a start in the right direction.I believe Hibs do owe us the truth about what is happening.GGTTH.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibs are nowhere near meltdown. Take it you weren't around when duff, gray and rowland nearly sold us down the river? When we had our "great adventure" in the first division? Them days were grim.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes I was and you are correct that was meltdown however what I mean with meltdown now is fans bickering on here over the board, players money etc etc. GGTTH

Hibs have no PR. Haven't for years.

The answer? Honest upbeat communication.

Think the thing with Hibs is that they've always kept things quiet and gone about things very professionally when dealing with player transfers, and this is seen as bad PR by fans. The situation withh CC is getting a bit silly now, but I think it looks like he'll be off soon. His interview before the game was very non committal. What I think Hibs need to do is get a pr consultant in to train our managers and make them a bit more media savvy.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Get a winning team on the park and nobody will give a toss what's said.

@hibs.net private member
    I do agree about HIBS being quiet and going about signing players etc this way. However at certain times and certain situations call for different tactics. As I have said our fans are bickering over everything at this moment in time. If Hibs did have a good PR Manager in and got the information out and to the fans then a lot of this negativity could be stopped and instantly. Can I ask you one question and answer it honestly would you rather have the truth from the horses muth or speculation and tit bits thrown at us from every quater .GGTTH

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Do we get dishonest information coming out the club?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This will come but if we had our PR inplace at least we could see why players go to St Johnstone before us. I have read more about O'Hanlon's broken toe from Hibs, than other more important issues facing us. We are only fed little bits now and then and I think something needs to be done on this front. As for the playing side of things this does need addressed too.GGTTH

Left by mutual consent!
    I would agree not as bad however 10-12 years on just finished 10th. 100% off the park improvement however a lot closer to the jim duffy type run than a pushing for 4th place. Agreed not as bad as those days but very far off where imo we should be.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Not as far as I know but we only get told what they want us to hear, which may not be 100% of everything involved . GGTTH

Who knows?

We certainly get conflicting and confusing messages.
    1. Sheridan, Hibs want to sign him he wants to sign - Outcome he plays for St J
    2. What about the Managers longterm future, he is happy here and the club want him to stay - Will he be here in September? - Don't answer the question and repeat the first answer.

Just a couple of recent comments that confuse fans.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    I really am starting to find the negativity catching, so rather than join the band wagon I thought how would I change things at Easter Road? I have come up with several ideas but believe the biggest thing that needs to change before Hibs go into melt down is.. We need to Sort the Public Relations out and fast. Hibs are a sleeping giant and lets be totally honest we all want the best for our proud and historic club, however surely the club should know that it's greatest assets are the fans that pay their hard earned cash to go and watch them. That buy the strips and pay for Hibs TV scarfs and numerous other Hibs Items. If Hibs sorted out the PR Machine and we got Honest statements coming out of Easter Road whether this was good or bad ie Signings not getting signings and why we never got them, maybe just maybe it would be a start in the right direction.I believe Hibs do owe us the truth about what is happening.GGTTH.
    Totally agree. The club have to take a serious look at how they're engaging the support at the moment. There's a huge disconnect between some sections of the support (and going by the chat at Easter Road on Saturday, things are nowhere near as bad as is made out on here, btw), and the club have to consider how they go about getting these people onside and active in a positive way.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Hibs have no PR. Haven't for years.

The answer? Honest upbeat communication.
    Hibs put out honest and upbeat communication that is regularly ripped to pieces on forums such as this and the Bounce.

Totally correct. That's the quickest way to get everyone onside.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    Who knows? We certainly get conflicting and confusing messages. 1. Sheridan, Hibs want to sign him he wants to sign - Outcome he plays for St J2. What about the Managers longterm future, he is happy here and the club want him to stay - Will he be here in September? - Don't answer the question and repeat the first answer. Just a couple of recent comments that confuse fans.
    You are only confused if you want ti be. It wasnt up to Sherisan or hibs where he went it was CSKA's shout. No lies or misinfoemation.The second point is as plain as you like. Until someone oays the required compensation Calderwood is Hibs manager and he is happy woth that. How is it confusing. It certainly isnt untruthful.

@hibs.net private member
    You are only confused if you want ti be. It wasnt up to Sherisan or hibs where he went it was CSKA's shout. No lies or misinfoemation.The second point is as plain as you like. Until someone oays the required compensation Calderwood is Hibs manager and he is happy woth that. How is it confusing. It certainly isnt untruthful.
    What I find confusing is why CSKA picked St Johnstone before us. Was it because we only offered £20,000 as some papers would like us to believe or was it because CSKA only wanted him out on a loan deal? If Hibs had come out and catigorically stated it was because ??????????? then this would have been put to bed now and not left to grow into an issue.GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    What I find confusing is why CSKA picked St Johnstone before us. Was it because we only offered £20,000 as some papers would like us to believe or was it because CSKA only wanted him out on a loan deal? If Hibs had come out and catigorically stated it was because ??????????? then this would have been put to bed now and not left to grow into an issue.GGTTH
    Hibs never reveal details of transfer negotiations and up until Calderwood mentioned wanting Sheridan they never commented on trialists etc.They have made a rod for their own back( no need fir Petrie puns).If nothing had been said other than we are still weighing it up there wouldnt be the nonsense we are getting. Still tosee an exame of misinformation or lies.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Hibs put out honest and upbeat communication that is regularly ripped to pieces on forums such as this and the Bounce.
    Could you please direct me to honest and upbeat communication from any board member (take yer pick)?

The only recent one i can think of was RP's statement re Nott Forest that was praised on here and over on the Bounce.

correct.

A good winning team - for a sustained time!! - and EVERYTHING falls into place.

Could you please direct me to honest and upbeat communication from any board member (take yer pick)?The only recent one i can think of was RP's statement re Nott Forest that was praised on here and over on the Bounce.
    Can someone please direct me to a dishonest downbeat communication I do think communication could be better but am happy to hear about transfer news when its done and dusted. i wouldnt want the club to comment on every rumour that raised its head. I do not like when we as fans are making out the board are dishonest as this ki d of mud slinging tends to grow arms and legs. ( hiws that for a mixed metaphor

Hibs never reveal details of transfer negotiations and up until Calderwood mentioned wanting Sheridan they never commented on trialists etc.They have made a rod for their own back( no need fir Petrie puns).If nothing had been said other than we are still weighing it up there wouldnt be the nonsense we are getting.
    Well he's now doing the same with Agogo. Article in today's EEN:

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianf...ogo.6807843.jp

I'm not convinced a wall of silence on the subject would make folks feel any better. It would merely create a perception of inactivity and lack of urgency at Hibs whilst other SPL sides get about their transfer business in an apparently more ordered fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    Well he's now doing the same with Agogo. Article in today's EEN:http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianf...ogo.6807843.jpI'm not convinced a wall of silence on the subject would make folks feel any better. It would merely create a perception of inactivity and lack of urgency at Hibs whilst other SPL sides get about their transfer business in an apparently more ordered fashion.
    I know what you mean Beej but a simple "its going well and hopefully we can sort something out" would suffice even then fans would jump on the WTF happened ( Petrie moneygrabbef GTF) if that is said and nothing materialises. Better to leave it alone till its done. There hasnt been a windiw i. The history of windows where Hibs have bedn inactive and there are a good few where signings of quality (perceived or otherwise)have emerged. Patience is not a phrase often linked with Hibs fans.

Spot on.

PR, spin, call it what you may, is a load of flannel and blether to butter us up and tell us things are better than they actually are. The last thing that we need.

We need action.

All Hibs need to do is sign a few players so we have options and cover up front (instead of plan A only), at least one bloody right-back at the club and a centre half so that our season doesn't depend on our injury prone new centre-half not getting injured.

Personally, the best thing that could happen (IMO) would be the manager departing, but as it doesn't look like happening I have no option but to get behind him.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs never reveal details of transfer negotiations and up until Calderwood mentioned wanting Sheridan they never commented on trialists etc.They have made a rod for their own back( no need fir Petrie puns).If nothing had been said other than we are still weighing it up there wouldnt be the nonsense we are getting. Still tosee an exame of misinformation or lies.
    But that's my point would it not be better if Hibs did reveal more than they normally do. We are surely worth more than this. We are HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB and if we did get more /better information we would be in a better position to see were our Leadership was taking us and to what new level. Other teams do it and do it very well why can't we it may improve gates, it may get the unhappy back on track, but I feel it really can't do anymore harm than is being done at present. As long as it is done in a pro-active and timely manner. GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Spot on.PR, spin, call it what you may, is a load of flannel and blether to butter us up and tell us things are better than they actually are. The last thing that we need.We need action.All Hibs need to do is sign a few players so we have options and cover up front (instead of plan A only), at least one bloody right-back at the club and a centre half so that our season doesn't depend on our injury prone new centre-half not getting injured.Personally, the best thing that could happen (IMO) would be the manager departing, but as it doesn't look like happening I have no option but to get behind him.
    I agree totally about a winning team but I would like HIBS to come out and state what is happening about a RB rather than all this speculation. At times I think the board think we are mushrooms to be kept in the dark and fed sh*t. GGTTH

Can someone please direct me to a dishonest downbeat communication I do think communication could be better but am happy to hear about transfer news when its done and dusted. i wouldnt want the club to comment on every rumour that raised its head. I do not like when we as fans are making out the board are dishonest as this ki d of mud slinging tends to grow arms and legs. ( hiws that for a mixed metaphor
    I've not accused any board member of giving dishonest downbeat communications so what's your point?

I've not accused any board member of giving dishonest downbeat communications so what's your point?
    Sorry Smurf but you asked for Honest information in your first post on this thread. This to me suggests the board are being dishonest or the word honest doesnt need to be there. You and tge original poster both mention the need for honesty implyng they are at present being dishonest with us. I try and make my points clearer in future so you dont need to be so nippy with me.

we have a chicken and egg situation going on we do not have enough people going to the games revenue down cannot pay overheads such as players wages.

we need a team on the park but we need money invested to do this

we need to change the leauge set up i belive playing each other twice is best

Fans are treated like angel delight so we dont turn up to watch

Season tickets how many have we sold ? i recon way down why we are not worth watching and too many games on TV

so how do we sort it

we need to invest on the main USP what is that the TEAM not stadium training facilities GIVE US A TEAM

PR does need to imporove Our directors need to grow a pair and tell MrP that we are losing direction please give us a TEAM on the park build it people will come back

@hibs.net private member
    Can I just say I don't think the board are dishonest but I dont feel they give us 100% information. Example 1 statement about CC. this was Ref to Nottinham Forrest not having permission to talk to him, However I may be wrong and I may have missed it but at no time can i recall any information from the board with REF to Birmingham City and whether they have permisssion or not. What I mean with honest information is being 100% factual with us and not giving only bits of information on the one subject. This does not mean that the board are not being honest this just means that they are choosing to give us what information it suits them at the time. Surely we are worth more than that as fans that pay the boards wages.GGTTH.

Sorry Smurf but you asked for Honest information in your first post on this thread. This to me suggests the board are being dishonest or the word honest doesnt need to be there. You and tge original poster both mention the need for honesty implyng they are at present being dishonest with us. I try and make my points clearer in future so you dont need to be so nippy with me.
    Honestly...

The paranoia in defence of the board is fast stiffling any open and honest POV's on here.

You draw your own conclusion. Think what you like.

Just because i called for 'honest information' or 'honest debate' doesn't automatically mean you are suggesting that's because there is 'dishonest information' or 'dishonest debate'.

The club communicates with us in the main by one way IMHO;

1, It puts out bits and pieces of information (in the main nothing really of substance or importance) on the official site and via a email newsletter (is it still going? Not had one in weeks) that will get picked up by The Edinburgh Evening News.

I'm not saying it was 'dishonest' but in the past we've been told that our finances are 'rock solid' with 'no need to sell'. We have been told 'Tickets are selling fast' and 'We are heading ffor sell out' when the reality was that erm... no we are not.

Instead of bitching about those that haven't renewed their season tickets why not extol the virtues and benefits of what positive results it brings the club through season ticket renewal for club and supporter?

Could you please direct me to honest and upbeat communication from any board member (take yer pick)?

The only recent one i can think of was RP's statement re Nott Forest that was praised on here and over on the Bounce.
    Does it need to come from (or be attributed to) the board? The offical site always has upbeat articles, as do the newsletter emails - neither seem particularly dishonest either. I'm sure they will all be approved by the board even if they don't actually put their names to them.

I do think communications could be improved ( the fishy site is awful) and that the 'no comment' policy on transfers and the like is too rigid. In particular some explanation of the Sheridan issue would not have gone amiss, even though some on here would still have found negatives or questioned the honesty of any such explanation.

Edit: I see you've answered this as I was typing, but I'm not sure what sort of upbeat and honest communications need to come from the directors, other than a general improvement of the OS and newsletters.
    Last edited by Caversham Green; 26-07-2011 at 01:10 PM.