hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EllChrisso PSN ID: EllChrisso

So.. Everyones thoughts?

First game. Depleted squad. Probably against the likely league winners.I thought we didnt play too badly. Both O'Hanlon & Hanlon played very well. Palsson is wasted at RB, but we dont have much choice till we sign one. Stack made me feel a little better with a terrific pen save. O'Connor needs more help, still looks a good player. Booth is a fantastic full back. Reminds me of Murphy.All in all, lets judge ourselves against realistic opposition.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    Played okish until Stacks rare error, he is still the best number 1. We lost our shape after O'Hanlon went off. We never had any decent attacking chances, some decent passes and we did ok in the midfield. We should never play 4-5-1 at home, the times when we did get service in the box we only had one striker. Good to see Sproule back and I just wish CC would either go or commit.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Good to see Ivan and O'Connor back at ER. But CC can GTF!
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EllChrisso PSN ID: EllChrisso
    Do we really need to listen to Hartson go on about how amazing Celtic are all season? Does he forget how to analize a game rather than sit there and be a complete bias!

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I thought we weren't as bad as everyone feared we would be! 1st half we were the better team and there was a massive improvement from what we were watching last season. We were creating plenty of chances, we just need someone to be on the end of them!

We lost the way when O'Hanlon went off. The real test is this Saturday against Inverness.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Ell_Chrisso View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we really need to listen to Hartson go on about how amazing Celtic are all season? Does he forget how to analize a game rather than sit there and be a complete bias!
    they did give us a football lesson to be fair.

actually dont mind Hartson at all.

no shots on taget is a joke.

CC has to come out and say "im here for the season at least" or he may aswel walk

@hibs.net private member WellingtonHibby's Avatar
    Calderwoods Cardigan....Not Hibs Class.

Pretty poor overall, don't think we had a shot on target or a corner?

Current squad will probably fare worse than last year once the injuries / suspensions come to fold.

Sproule showed heart and Booth looks to have lots of ability. Would be interesting to play 442 with the aforementioned on each wing if we had another striker.

I reckon CC will be away by Xmas in one shape or form. . .

Thought we played well first half and were unlucky to go in behind, only a couple of players - a creative player, big bruiser in midfield, right back and strikers - from being a decent side. O'Hanlon was good and we were hopeless after he went off.

Playing at home, no shots on target, no corners.

I'm not sure anything else needs to be said.

Better in the first half than second I thought.

Competed ok but really lack a final ball and didn't ever trouble their goalkeeper..which was disappointing but maybe not surprising given the situation with only having one semi-fit centre forward .

Booth did well and I thought the Hanlon O'Hanlon pairing looked very promising.

We really lacked any creativity in midfield and thought Celtics central midfield two dictated things in there second half.

We need at least another 3 decent signings to avoid a repeat of last season imo, some creativity in midfield, more pace up front, and a clone of Booth at right back.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We competed well in the first half, but the longer the game went on the more you saw the same mistakes and failures we saw last season.

Coaching Staff
    Today proved we are at least 4 players short. Decent first half, midfield did their jobs, got in behind them a couple of times, final ball poor though, especially Wotherspoon who dallied too long. Poor keeping but to be fair, good finish.

Second half, awful football. Basics all wrong, lost possession cheaply, Stevenson three times before his slack pass led to their second. Midfield lost their energy, combination of Cetic raising tempo markedly, hot weather, and Hibs players too often hurrying passes into wrong areas. Great penalty save by Stack. He was the only one showing real urgency second half.

Poor stats, coupled by a worrying 90 minute showing for me. Significant transfer activity needed, and immediately IMHO.

I honestly think Celtic didn't get out of second gear today.

Coaching Staff
    On the whole, not totally hopeless and there were good things to be seen though I have to say, Celtic were not good and could have been there for the taking.

The good: O Hanlon, Booth, Sproule and Pallson did okay.

The bad: We cannot seriously expect O Connor to do it all. Stack was at fault for the first goal, but the penalty save was incredible, so I think he's on evens there. I thought we lost heart. I also thought some of the fans around me were just itching to turn on the team - which, ultimately, they did.

The ugly: Stevenson had a nightmare today. He runs the risk of being this year's whipping boy, especially with the fans getting on his back THEN being at fault for the second goal.

I'm not going to get into this CC GTF stuff because I don't think he's going anywhere until he or Petrie wants him to. I don't think we are relegation material - and it is still very early to tell.

I think we miss Towell or someone like him. I also think we could do with an experienced MF and some company for O Connor.

I didn't expect a win today so I don't think it's fair on the team to judge them on that point.

As said, no shots on target, no corners, unable to pass 10-15 yds, no bite in midfield, no flair, no right back, only one real fit striker, depleted squad, no motivation from managerial summer problems.The team looked flat and totally uninspiring, 2 cb's looked solid enough, Booth adventurous but goes missing in defense, Thornhill tried but too lightweight, as with Stevenson, Wotherpoon looks like he's went backwards an awful lot in 2 years, poor passing and seems unable to take a man on. some good glimpses from Sproule and GOC worked tirelessly but to no avail, need a partner asap. Stack made a bad error for 1st Goal but made up for it with the penalty save.

@hibs.net private member
    First half very decent but fell out of the game in the second half. O hanlon looks to be a good signing. Booth was excellent. Spoony very poor in first half and hid in the second. Stevenson was terrific in the first half and was shocking in second. Overall we tried hard but very little creativity. Bettet than I expected

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Very poor today. Celtic were not much better. They took their chances from 2 mistakes from Stack and Stevenson. Wotherspoon and Stevenson had howlers. At times it seemed we could not string 2 passes together which is school boy stuff also a 451 at home??. Big improvement needed next Saturday then again it was only the first game of the season so we have got to give them a chance to gel.

What happened to O'Hanlon?? Was it just a knock or a bad one?

Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    As said, no shots on target, no corners, unable to pass 10-15 yds, no bite in midfield, no flair, no right back, only one real fit striker, depleted squad, no motivation from managerial summer problems.The team looked flat and totally uninspiring, 2 cb's looked solid enough, Booth adventurous but goes missing in defense, Thornhill tried but too lightweight, as with Stevenson, Wotherpoon looks like he's went backwards an awful lot in 2 years, poor passing and seems unable to take a man on. some good glimpses from Sproule and GOC worked tirelessly but to no avail, need a partner asap. Stack made a bad error for 1st Goal but made up for it with the penalty save.
    Mate you have pretty much said exactly what I would say agree with the whole of ur post.

First Team Breakthrough Supraninja's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: liamRnumber1
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    The ugly: Stevenson had a nightmare today. He runs the risk of being this year's whipping boy, especially with the fans getting on his back THEN being at fault for the second goal.
    Really? I thought he was doing pretty well until he gave the ball away for the second, aside that he passed to noone once, but generally his passing was fine and I would have said Wotherspoon had a far worse day than Stevenson.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supraninja View Post
    Really? I thought he was doing pretty well until he gave the ball away for the second, aside that he passed to noone once, but generally his passing was fine and I would have said Wotherspoon had a far worse day than Stevenson.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Just back. Thought we did OK first half but ultimately 2 individual errors have given Celtic their goals.

Thought Stephenson was our best player first half but he like many others faded 2nd half.

O'Connor will never be suited to playing up front on his own. We were toothless in attack all game. Unforgivable that we can start the season with such a lack of attacking options.

Wotherspoon is murder and should have been hooked at half time. He looks very unfit and I'm almost he won't progress like we all think he would. He lacks so many attributes for the Scottish game.

Overall not too despondent given our circumstances. New signings are imperative for this week though. It should never have come to this and I feel the lack of urgency shown by the board in terms of recruitment will cost us dearly in early season points.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    We need a bit more pace in the attacking areas, O'Connor looks a bit out of shape still. Booth seems to be decent going forward but gets caught out time to time. Some more signing and we will have a decent side who could reach top 6.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Today proved we are at least 4 players short. Decent first half, midfield did their jobs, got in behind them a couple of times, final ball poor though, especially Wotherspoon who dallied too long. Poor keeping but to be fair, good finish.

Second half, awful football. Basics all wrong, lost possession cheaply, Stevenson three times before his slack pass led to their second. Midfield lost their energy, combination of Cetic raising tempo markedly, hot weather, and Hibs players too often hurrying passes into wrong areas. Great penalty save by Stack. He was the only one showing real urgency second half.

Poor stats, coupled by a worrying 90 minute showing for me. Significant transfer activity needed, and immediately IMHO.

I honestly think Celtic didn't get out of second gear today.
    Agree with your other points, but the weather was the same for both teams and one of them even managed to raise the tempo. Poor second half from Hibs. Simple as.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ell_Chrisso View Post
    The state our club is in and this is your main concern?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Supraninja View Post
    I think they might have to share that honour.

Some of the folk around me were doing their nut at him even before the 2nd goal.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We competed well in the first half, but the longer the game went on the more you saw the same mistakes and failures we saw last season.
    I was encouraged in the first half. Nice play up the left hand side.

But we really didn't pose any threat if truth be told.

As you say second half we were well exposed.

The players deserved their applause at full time for their 100% effort but its a sign of the times...

O'Hanlon looked good and looked exactly the sort of calming influence we have lacked since Rob Jones. The defence seemed to go to pot when he went off injured which highlights the serious lack of depth we have in that area. We are also very obviously lacking in attacking options. The signings that CC has made do look to a big improvement and I think we are slowly but surely heading in the right direction however we need at least 3 or 4 more signings of a similar standard to O'Hanlon, Thornhill, Palsson, Sproule and O'Connor if we are to have any chance of competing over the course of this season. Hibs fans will have to be realistic, we got rid of a huge amount of players (which was essential as they were all crap) and it will take time to rebuild. I like the sort of player CC is bringing in though and through time I think we'll have a decent side.

I actually expected us to be worse than we were to be honest. Team that finbished if you take Stack, Sproule and O'Connor out must all be under 21 players is it not? That imho is where we might need to accept there is going to be a learning curve for many a player this season. Impressed with Sproule has to be said as on todays showing he has learned more than just to run with the ball. Booth played well and I also thought Thornhill has the makings of a really good player once he is up to full sharpness. Overall the fact we only have one fit striker showed today and hopefully we will address that soon!