hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10 days till the season starts

With only 10 days till we play Celtic, is there anyone else just a little bit concerned that we have only signed three players?
    Given that we knew the level of rebuilding required with the amount of departures I'm begining to think we are not going to be any better this season than last.
    Am I worrying for no good reason or are we going to be Rubbish again this season?
    Last edited by Ozyhibby; 14-07-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Please dont bypass the swear filter

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Pretty ****ing harrowing tbh.

We've had a decent pre season thus far results wise but our squad is nowhere good enough and we have no idea where our manager is going despite being warned at least a month ago.

If we don't have at least 2 more in and either a committed CC or new manager, the forthcoming season will be a nightmare.

@hibs.net private member
    The season might start in 10 days time but the transfer window is open until the end of August and I suspect a few players will be keeping their options open so it may well be difficult to get them all in as soon as we'd like. I think we've still got a bit of firepower left in the transfer market unlike Fat Jim who has probably spent his wad.

The transfer window doesn't shut until the end of August. We won't be the only team doing deals right up to the deadline, any available (and worthwhile) players will be keeping their options open to see if they can get something more financially rewarding down South.
    Yes, we need new players in but it isn't yet time to start dismissing the season yet.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

In 2011 we have already signed
    1. Scott
    2. Pallson
    3. Thornhill
    4. Sodje
    5. Sproule
    6. O'Hanlon
    7. O'Connor
    8. Sheridan is also a possibility

That's nearly an entire team of first team outfield players!! I'm working on the assumption our support doesn't expect us to sign a fourth goalie - we have Stack, Brown and Antell

We already have youth in Hanlon, Booth and Wotherspoon as first team regulars. Galbraith, Stephens and Stevenson are on the fringes. We are aiming to bring through Taggart, Crawford, Smith, Horner and others. We have Murray as Captain and Hart as cover

That's 2 teams worth of players and I've probably missed some including loanees!!!

Are we now, Hibs Supporters, increasingly responsible for the biggest squad churn in the SPL over the past 5 years - through our constant clamour for more and more signings?

Madness

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 325EasterRoad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In 2011 we have already signed
    1. Scott
    2. Pallson
    3. Thornhill
    4. Sodje
    5. Sproule
    6. O'Hanlon
    7. O'Connor
    8. Sheridan is also a possibility

That's nearly an entire team of first team outfield players!! I'm working on the assumption our support doesn't expect us to sign a fourth goalie - we have Stack, Brown and Antell

We already have youth in Hanlon, Booth and Wotherspoon as first team regulars. Galbraith, Stephens and Stevenson are on the fringes. We are aiming to bring through Taggart, Crawford, Smith, Horner and others. We have Murray as Captain and Hart as cover

That's 2 teams worth of players and I've probably missed some including loanees!!!

Are we now, Hibs Supporters, increasingly responsible for the biggest squad churn in the SPL over the past 5 years - through our constant clamour for more and more signings?

Madness

No we're not mad we just want a good team.

We were very far from a good team last season and 3 signings ain't going to improve us sufficiently for this season IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr.rar View Post
    Pretty ****ing harrowing tbh.

We've had a decent pre season thus far results wise but our squad is nowhere good enough and we have no idea where our manager is going despite being warned at least a month ago.

If we don't have at least 2 more in and either a committed CC or new manager, the forthcoming season will be a nightmare.
    Why worry? The chance of signing a really good player with our resources is very low. Let's try and progress our under19s instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    is there anyone else just a little bit concerned
    That's the funniest thing I've seen on here for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    That's the funniest thing I've seen on here for a long time
    Fair Point.

Fair Point.

Yes, of course. 2 or 3 injuries and we'll fall apart. I predict, like every season for the last 40 seasons, we'll start of OK'ish competing with most SPL sides other than the OF and the Yams. Once the nights start to draw in (lat September) we'll start to struggle with injuries and bobbly pitches and by Nov regularly struggling to win any games against more physical sides and those that want it more (ie everyone else).

If Hibs offered part season tickets for say the first 2 months of the season, they'd sell plenty. After that.....

No agent worth their salt will be advising their clients to go to Hibs whilst this ongoing, and very public, saga with Calderwood has yet to meet a conclusion.

To answer your question though, yes I am a bit concerned about the quality within our squad. I don't believe that it is anywhere near good enough, or strong enough, for where we should be aiming to be and this season will be a struggle if we don't improve on what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    No agent worth their salt will be advising their clients to go to Hibs whilst this ongoing, and very public, saga with Calderwood has yet to meet a conclusion.

To answer your question though, yes I am a bit concerned about the quality within our squad. I don't believe that it is anywhere near good enough, or strong enough, for where we should be aiming to be and this season will be a struggle if we don't improve on what we have.
    With the best will in the world a player and agent are bothered by money. Managers change all the time, if they get offered a good deal they will take it.

Dundee Utd are one of our main rivals and they're season has already started however they had to start Jon Daly at centre half!

Not just us who is struggling for players.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    With the best will in the world a player and agent are bothered by money. Managers change all the time, if they get offered a good deal they will take it.
    I know that if a player signs for 2 years, they won't necessarily expect the manager who's signed them, to be there for those 2 years but with the way things stand right now at Hibs, Calderwood could sign a player and within a week, he could be off down south and then the new manager comes in and doesn't fancy them.

I know that, putting loyalties aside for one moment, if I had offers from Hibs and a couple of other clubs whose management situation seemed to be a bit more settled, I would sign for the club whose manager's immediate future was not called into question.

Coaching Staff
    With only 10 days till we play Celtic, is there anyone else just a little bit concerned that we have only signed three players?
    Given that we knew the level of rebuilding required with the amount of departures I'm begining to think we are not going to be any better this season than last.
    Am I worrying for no good reason or are we going to be Rubbish again this season?
    No your not I would be of the opinion that as a club Hibs are totally unprepared for the season to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    No your not I would be of the opinion that as a club Hibs are totally unprepared for the season to come.
    Totally unprepared? Have you been to any of the pre-season games then?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Haven't been to see the pre season games yet but I think an rb and another two strikers and we are ready for the new season, although as another poster pointed out we are going to struggle to entice players to come to us with this whole Calderwood saga.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    We are totally unprepared for the new season imo. The signings so far have been decent, and a lot of the dross from last year has been moved on, but we are still going to be relying heavily on youngsters, quite a few who have barely played for the club.

Dont get me wrong, Im happy we seem to have a lot of young guys coming through, but they are going to make mistakes. Hanlon looks by far our most accomplished defender, but hes only 21, he is going to make silly errors. We still need more experience at the back! And the effect Booth has on the team shows what a good fullback can do, yet the RB position still hasnt been sorted.

We also need additions up front as a suspension/injury or two and we are going to have no proper strikers.

This will be my first league game since the midweek 2-2 draw against Aberdeen when in the Yogi season. I only went to that because I'd been drinking in Glasgow all day and made a last minute decision at Queen Street when going home.

I'm sure it'll be fun.

I would rather that Hibs do not make any further signings until CC has said that he is definitely going nowhere regardless of any compensation offer from Brum/Notts Forest or has been shoved in a by Rodders and goodbye and good riddance.

Im very concerned at our lack of transfer activity!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    One striker required and that would do it. We would manage.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Aye we might have to.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Manage what? 10th again?

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    We are totally unprepared for the new season imo. The signings so far have been decent, and a lot of the dross from last year has been moved on, but we are still going to be relying heavily on youngsters, quite a few who have barely played for the club.

Dont get me wrong, Im happy we seem to have a lot of young guys coming through, but they are going to make mistakes. Hanlon looks by far our most accomplished defender, but hes only 21, he is going to make silly errors. We still need more experience at the back! And the effect Booth has on the team shows what a good fullback can do, yet the RB position still hasnt been sorted.

We also need additions up front as a suspension/injury or two and we are going to have no proper strikers.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Hands-up smilie. I'm concerned about the lack of signings but my never-ending optimism and positivity will carry me onwards as always.

I think we will be better than last season but I can't point you to any reason that might convince you to share my opinion (that said, if anyone wants a bet that Hibs will finish 10th or worse, I'll be interested in that action - in case it is not clear, I fully expect Hibs to finish much higher than we did last season). I just have a good feeling. I think we have guys that can create opportunities and guys that will pounce on them. What worries me is the depth of the squad. But there's still time to build on what we have.
    Last edited by HibsMax; 15-07-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Is anyone actually excited for the start of the SPL season? I can't seem to shake last year at all and not just from a hibs point of view I was sick to the back teeth of it all... Refs, Lennon, Celtic,Lennon blah blah ****in blah add the fact we where awful and I wish there was another month or two before we started again

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    Is anyone actually excited for the start of the SPL season? I can't seem to shake last year at all and not just from a hibs point of view I was sick to the back teeth of it all... Refs, Lennon, Celtic,Lennon blah blah ****in blah add the fact we where awful and I wish there was another month or two before we started again

I've never been less interested in the start of a new season than I am about this one. Good job for Petrie he got my money in April because he wouldnae be getting it now.

Maybe it's just auld age but I hanker after the time when we bred our own, made the odd signing and got behind the players on the park and gave them 100% backing

It's almost like, in recent seasons, like we are constantly disatisfied with the guys who are currentlywearing the green - somehow believing that the next guy we sign will make us miraculously better

How we create a team spirit with fans like that I don't know. How can you play your heart our for a support that makes it clear it wants you out and the next guy in? Particularly to the 7 or 8 guys who we recently signed and are yet to play a full season for us

It's time we started giving more backing to the players we have imo