What was Yogi's unworkable legacy?

Was it the fact so many players were out of contract

Or is it something else............

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

That he was a slavering failure of a Hibs manager who couldn't motivate the bunch of waster he signed to turn our misfortune around and had us plummeting towards relegation.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Signing Alan Gow.
    Repeatedly playing John Rankin.
    Thinking Chris Hogg was a right back.
    Signing Graeme Smith.
    Losing the dressing room.
    Talking (the same) nonsense repeatedly.
    Signing Patrick Cregg.
    Signing David Stephens but not playing him.

The goalkeeping school
    The lack of plan b (not the singer)
    The complete dismissal of fans concerns
    Ross County at home
    Ross County away

@hibs.net private member WellingtonHibby's Avatar
    Pipe down guys - Fitba Peepul ken whit he wiz daein, likes...

I think its a less than oblique reference to his kamikaze approach to signings, including 400 goalkeepers, nae defenders and a complete disregard to methodical and tactical approaches to games that left us at the foot of a piss poor table...

Yes, he really squandered the family jewels we had accumulated under the startlingly successful tenure of Collins and Mixu.

All three of them made bad mistakes, but all suffered to an extent of having little to work with as the Mowbray team was sold off in other to build the new stand and training ground. The exciting young players were replaced, largely, by prima donas and wasters who thought they were better than they were.

Now, the theory is, is that all money raised should be spent on players in terms of wages and transfer fees.

However, we still seem too about as, or less, competitive in this area as the Dundee United's and Motherwell's of this world.

Yogi, like Collins and Mixu, had his flaws. But all three have, to some extent, been whipping boys for the board's strategy which meant that the playing side of things would transitional as the infrastructure would be put first.

Now we're waiting for a decent manager, bringing through good young players, backed by an adventurous board making the odd inspired quality signing.

So when's that happening, Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    That he was a slavering failure of a Hibs manager who couldn't motivate the bunch of waster he signed to turn our misfortune around and had us plummeting towards relegation.
    They have nearly all done that at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Yes, he really squandered the family jewels we had accumulated under the startlingly successful tenure of Collins and Mixu.

All three of them made bad mistakes, but all suffered to an extent of having little to work with as the Mowbray team was sold off in other to build the new stand and training ground. The exciting young players were replaced, largely, by prima donas and wasters who thought they were better than they were.

Now, the theory is, is that all money raised should be spent on players in terms of wages and transfer fees.

However, we still seem too about as, or less, competitive in this area as the Dundee United's and Motherwell's of this world.

Yogi, like Collins and Mixu, had his flaws. But all three have, to some extent, been whipping boys for the board's strategy which meant that the playing side of things would transitional as the infrastructure would be put first.

Now we're waiting for a decent manager, bringing through good young players, backed by an adventurous board making the odd inspired quality signing.
    The situation in a nutshell.

Yogi.......

Barracked youngsters and destroyed their confidence

Brought in too many poor players

Playing people out of position when all could see it was wrong

Never realising his mistakes and doing nothing about it

Having a top class strike force but continually thinking playing DR at left midfield would work

Allowing players to do as they wish and not punish them, Stokes etc hence causing a dressing room unrest and players not wanting to play for him

Allowing so many players contracts to run down all at once

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    The goalkeeping school
    Ross County at home
    Ross County away
    The same could be said of Calderwood, just incert Ayr United in place of Ross County
    Not defending Yogi as he was a poor manager but on reflection I found Petrie's remarks about the 'previous incumbant'(who you appointed sir!!) a little dissapointing He praises CC's record from February to the split but the rest of it was rank rotten!!! What about after the split or before Christmas!!!!!! Also didnt Yogi have a good spell at the start of the previous season????
    Sorry Rod, I know your comments were aimed at prospective suiters and you are trying to get the best deal for Hibs but it has to be said both JH and CC were crap appointments made by you!! I for one will not be sorry to see the back of this joker and hope to God the next one is much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

I thought the comment was unnecessary and someone in his office should have tried to advise him against making it.

It appeared to me as a personal attack on JH and not the forum to do so.

Yogi made many mistakes but he was manager when Hibs got their last European spot and he served the club well as a player in my opinion.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post
    Signing Alan Gow.
    Repeatedly playing John Rankin.
    Thinking Chris Hogg was a right back.
    Signing Graeme Smith.
    Losing the dressing room.
    Talking (the same) nonsense repeatedly.
    Signing Patrick Cregg.
    Signing David Stephens but not playing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    The goalkeeping school
    Ross County at home
    Ross County away
    Signing Hart and DeGraaf, still here and still taking a good wage (by Hibs standards) out of the club.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 06-07-2011 at 08:09 AM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I think the comment on what CC took over when justifying the lack of success he had last season was entirely relevant and considering Yogi hasn't been shy in his comments about hibs i don't see why we should be walking on egg shells trying not to hurt his feelings.

I think what he was referring to was the size of the squad full of absolute dross that wasn't getting played, the goalkeeping school and the panic signing of Trakys showed a complete lack of respect to the fact we are a club that has to work on a limited budget but is trying to support the manager as much as possible. Then there is the rumours of Yogi not having a great relationship with the players, has been said he was a bit of a bully to the younger guys, now i don't know if that was true or if it was just his style some people struggled to deal with but i would say the squad took over was completely demoralised and CC had a tough job picking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyNicky View Post
    I thought the comment was unnecessary and someone in his office should have tried to advise him against making it.

It appeared to me as a personal attack on JH and not the forum to do so.

Yogi made many mistakes but he was manager when Hibs got their last European spot and he served the club well as a player in my opinion.
    We only know the legacy that he left on the pitch (and that was bad enough). If he left a mess behind the scenes too and is now taking random pops at the club, I think the club is right to fire a warning at him. It was effectively saying, IMO, "quieten down or we'll say more".

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    We only know the legacy that he left on the pitch (and that was bad enough). If he left a mess behind the scenes too and is now taking random pops at the club, I think the club is right to fire a warning at him. It was effectively saying, IMO, "quieten down or we'll say more".
    I don't disagree with anything above, I too thought he was an idiot at times but Rod did give him the managers job and I thought he may have sanctioned Yogi's potential signings, Yogi also implied that it was his idea to run out the contracts of those he felt were not worthwhile keeping. ( may be more rubbish )

I just thought that it was out of character and not the forum to make a pop at JH.

I see the 'unworkable legacy of the previous incumbent' has made it to the Metro back page. The squad was deep but poor, we're going to have it shallower but better-
    thats the cut of Rods jib.

I don't disagree with anything above, I too thought he was an idiot at times but Rod did give him the managers job and I thought he may have sanctioned Yogi's potential signings, Yogi also implied that it was his idea to run out the contracts of those he felt were not worthwhile keeping. ( may be more rubbish )

I just thought that it was out of character and not the forum to make a pop at JH.
    What do you mean by sanction though, are you suggesting RP vetted the players that Yogi wanted to sign and approved or disapproved of them? That's not his role, he's not Mad Vlad!

Petrie has often stated that his job is to support the manager as much as possible. Manager identifies players and Rod and the board try to provide the funds to help the manager build the squad he wan't to sign the players that he, the manager has identified.

RP should not be responsible for Paddy Cregg or Michael Hart or whoever the manager of the time identified as players he wanted.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I see the 'unworkable legacy of the previous incumbent' has made it to the Metro back page. The squad was deep but poor, we're going to have it shallower but better-
    thats the cut of Rods jib.
    Well it's certainly shallower - unfortunately we've no signed enough new players tae make it better and at this rate.....

@hibs.net private member
    If ROD felt so strongly about the previous incumbent why did he let him spiral out of control...

ROD sacked him when he felt the pressure was beginning to mount on himself and he was about to get pelters at the AGM... easy way out for him and all about self preservation.

Now instead of slagging Yogi he should have had this mess sorted out before now as it has dragged on for weeks. This statement is a fortnight too late in my opinion.

ROD do what you are paid to do ... get it sorted ASAP.

Certainly sounds as if CCs heart is down south with his family from Real Radio interview.

If this is the case then that will not change. Would have liked him to stay as I believe he was on the verge of building a decent team. A few more astute signings would have seen us in a decent position.

However time to move on a get prepared for the new season

ROD do what you are paid to do ... get it sorted ASAP

I wasn't a Yogi fan but signings such as Stokes and Miller at least showed ambition

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    I wasn't a Yogi fan but signings such as Stokes and Miller at least showed ambition
    By the board who makes the signings?

What do you mean by sanction though, are you suggesting RP vetted the players that Yogi wanted to sign and approved or disapproved of them? That's not his role, he's not Mad Vlad!

Petrie has often stated that his job is to support the manager as much as possible. Manager identifies players and Rod and the board try to provide the funds to help the manager build the squad he wan't to sign the players that he, the manager has identified.

RP should not be responsible for Paddy Cregg or Michael Hart or whoever the manager of the time identified as players he wanted.
    No, I'm not suggesting that he vetted them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post

He's not replied has he?

The unworkable legacy was his mouth.

No, I'm not suggesting that he vetted them at all.
    Good as he shouldn't be second guessing HIS manager on football decisions

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    The unworkable legacy was his mouth.
    Actually I think it was the manual gearbox Subaru the club bought him as a company car, apparantely Yogi only has an Automatic driving license so found it completly unworkable...

I don't think Petrie should have got involved in what is purely a personal slanging match. Neither of them can really claim to have made nos mistakes during their repective roles so I'd rather not here them complain.

Petrie could have said something like:
    "I'm dissapointed to hear of the comments by a former employee but feel it does the club no good to get involved in a slanging match, so will be making no further comment".

Actually I think it was the manual gearbox Subaru the club bought him as a company car, apparantely Yogi only has an Automatic driving license so found it completly unworkable...
    Car folk ken what's goan oan!

When an away goal means so much in Europe, I am still recovering from Yogi leaving Stokes and Deek on the bench?. I know real football fans knew what he was doing, I just wish to f$*k they would tell me.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

Well said Bob, whilst Yogi clearly had flaws I feel he has been overly scapegoated for his tenure. Fourth place and Europe wasn't a bad record, compared to the record of many Hibs managers of the past thirty years.

Rod should have kept quiet and showed a bit more dignity. Maybe now that the subject was raised he could elaborate on the role of the board in this unworkable legacy. Whilst he's at it he could also explain the appalling track record for managerial appointees during his own tenure as Chief Exec, maybe saying more on his own role in the players undermining of Collins or perhaps detailing why his research whilst appointing Calderwood seems to have once again let the club down?

Shame that football's code of Omerta is so prevalent. I feel deep down that we, the ordinary fans, know so little about what really goes on at our clubs.