hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rooney set to sign (for Crawley Town)

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    League 2 side Crawley Town look to have won the race for Inverness striker Adam Rooney
    Well i never saw this coming. I know Crawley have a rich owner but still a great capture for them, especially with talk Birmingham wanted him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Speculate to accummulate.

From Crawley site today:

Crawley Town Football Club are confident that a further new signing will be unveiled this morning.

Manager Steve Evans was locked in talks with the quality striker and his representatives until around midnight last night and the official website, www.crawleytownfc.com, can reveal that a deal was concluded with the player. Subject to a medical and documentation the player will become a Red this morning.

The players all return for the new season later today and of course we all wish them and the staff every success for the season ahead.

5000 stadium, record crowd c4,100 v Derby, normal crowds of around 1000-1500.
    Their owner could teach Vlad a thing or two about spending beyond their means.

Surely Rooney would only go to play for them for an offer that was a good deal better than others on the table.
    Last edited by DC_Hibs; 29-06-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Well i never saw this coming. I know Crawley have a rich owner but still a great capture for them, especially with talk Birmingham wanted him.
    Football is broken I'm afraid and I can't see the new finance rules making any differnce as there are so many ways round living beyond your means.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    total lack of ambition by Rooney if this is the case. Especially is Birmingham are interested. A move to Hibs, or staying at ICT is a bigger stage than Crawley town.
    Purely money motivated rather than looking at the long term. Another good season at hibs/ICT would see bigger clubs interested. A good season at Brum could see him playing in the EPL.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Football is broken I'm afraid and I can't see the new finance rules making any differnce as there are so many ways round living beyond your means.
    The only way the finance rules will make any difference is if they are adopted with domestic competition also. Only outside intervention can do that - there are too many vested interests within the game that are quite happy to play fast and loose with the finances of football clubs.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Reminds me of the times when SPL sides were losing out on targets to 3rd Division Gretna.

How did that one work out again?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    total lack of ambition by Rooney if this is the case. Especially is Birmingham are interested. A move to Hibs, or staying at ICT is a bigger stage than Crawley town.
    Purely money motivated rather than looking at the long term. Another good season at hibs/ICT would see bigger clubs interested. A good season at Brum could see him playing in the EPL.
    Might change his mind I'd CC is appointed as Birmingham assistant?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Reminds me of the times when SPL sides were losing out on targets to 3rd Division Gretna.

How did that one work out again?
    Dundee recently too.

@hibs.net private member
    Money talks. If crawley offer £5k a week and Hibs £3k them its over a hundred grand a year. A 3 year deal gives him security. So whilst we all get on the high moral ground most of us would make a decision to financially safeguard our families

More fool him for signing for that crook Evans.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Playing at a level well below his abililites, for more cash. If her scores a lot, he will be on Sky Sports Sunday morning programme every week. Could be a way up the leagues into the Championship maybe?
    I can see Crawley Town crash and burn though and although I don't know a lot about them, something inside tells me that I would not be completely unhappy at this?
    On the one hand, that manager bloke looks like a massive jigsaw puzzle piece, and the amount of times he managed to work in " Glasgow", when talking about their cup game with Sair Alex and Man Utd gave me the boak.
    Similarly with Craig Brewster with his obnoxious comments about our game, completely glossing over the fact that it is what he has done here, that has given him the profile to do what he is doing now.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Think he will sign for Birmingham City.

They did sign a striker this morning but it wasn't Rooney.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    Speculate to accummulate.

From Crawley site today:

Crawley Town Football Club are confident that a further new signing will be unveiled this morning.

Manager Steve Evans was locked in talks with the quality striker and his representatives until around midnight last night and the official website, www.crawleytownfc.com, can reveal that a deal was concluded with the player. Subject to a medical and documentation the player will become a Red this morning.

The players all return for the new season later today and of course we all wish them and the staff every success for the season ahead.

5000 stadium, record crowd c4,100 v Derby, normal crowds of around 1000-1500.
    Their owner could teach Vlad a thing or two about spending beyond their means.

Surely Rooney would only go to play for them for an offer that was a good deal better than others on the table.
    Well it's more fool Rooney IMO - he must surely be earning a decent wedge but it is without doubt a step backwards in terms of the football he'll be playing.

It's surprising enough he'd knock back a move to ER in favour of Crawley, but a move to Brum City and the Championship as well???

"Crawley Town are delighted to confirm the capture of highly sought-after striker Tyrone Barnett for an undisclosed fee."

Not Rooney, although that's not to say he won't still sign for Crawley, but the striker they signed this morning is this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Money talks. If crawley offer £5k a week and Hibs £3k them its over a hundred grand a year. A 3 year deal gives him security. So whilst we all get on the high moral ground most of us would make a decision to financially safeguard our families
    I disagree. For a footballer, there is a balance to be found between playing at the highest level possible and getting as good a wage as possible. Rooney could have been playing in the Championship this season with Birmingham (if the rumours are to be believed). If he goes to Crawley, he's chosen money to the short-term, at least, detriment of his career.

The SPL is derided all the time but players make the move to the Premiership all the time (Connor Sammon being one of the latest). Rooney will never get a move from League Two to the Premiership.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Rooney's having a medical at BCFC apparently.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I disagree. For a footballer, there is a balance to be found between playing at the highest level possible and getting as good a wage as possible. Rooney could have been playing in the Championship this season with Birmingham (if the rumours are to be believed). If he goes to Crawley, he's chosen money to the short-term, at least, detriment of his career.

The SPL is derided all the time but players make the move to the Premiership all the time (Connor Sammon being one of the latest). Rooney will never get a move from League Two to the Premiership.
    If Birmingham are actually interested he will get more there than Crawley anyway.

So Hughton, friends with CC and trying to get CC back suddenly has an interest in a player Hibs have been targetting since January but who we haven't been mentioned with lately.

How much of CC's genuine interest has been with hibs recently then?

If Birmingham are actually interested he will get more there than Crawley anyway.

So Hughton, friends with CC and trying to get CC back suddenly has an interest in a player Hibs have been targetting since January but who we haven't been mentioned with lately.

Exactly. Something stinks. Our manager tapped up followed by our signing targets.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Crawley will end up like Gretna. Bust. Because they are punching above their weight......... tick tock

Must admit that it crossed my mind, although it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he was already on Brum's radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Crawley will end up like Gretna. Bust. Because they are punching above their weight......... tick tock
    They're not even punching, they're just chucking money all over the place. And at least Gretna managed it without a crook at the forefront.

Begs the question, where Ivan Sproule and Gary O'Connor actually targets by CC, or did the Board force them both upon him?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    Exactly. Something stinks. Our manager tapped up followed by our signing targets.
    Hibs have been chasing him for 6 months and he still hadn't signed so the chances of him coming to Hibs were remote, if he hadn't already told Hibs that he wasn't signing with us.

Pretty sure he was linked with Brum prior to McLeish bailing on them actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Pretty sure he was linked with Brum prior to McLeish bailing on them actually.
    That can't be right. Agent Calderwood has definitely been doing some undercover work for Birmingham by referring all the players that Hibs like the look of onto them.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    what a crap decision to make.crawley town,wow !!!

Crawley are on the up, loads of cash to spend and in a League where he might well shine.

Alternatively he could have come to ER... no brainer, sadly.

@hibs.net private member
    Apparently Crawley's spending would be 4th largest if they were in the SPL.

Rooney signs for Birmingham