hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bring Back Alex Miller..

Obviously not as Manager...

However much he was unpopular as Manager with a lot of us I certainly would never really question the success of much of his signings.

If we are looking to appoint yet another pretty inexperienced younger guy I would like it to be a continental style set up with him as first team coach with a boardroom based director of football.

Alex Miller would be perfect for the role and just maybe we can get away from non football people in the boardroom suggesting and indeed signing players.

2. Log in to remove the advert

You might be right in that we need a buffer between the manager and the Board. I'm not sure Miller is the man for the job though and, considering the way the club is set up, it would make Lindsay effectively redundant so is never going to happen.

Too many senior folk at the club have a vested interested in maintaining the status quo.

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting idea, especially given Miller's successful scouting role at Anfield. Lex gets a bad press for his time at Hibs. He may have been personally dour but the signings of Crunchie, O'Neil & Jackson suggest he was looking to play football. I suspect he did what our last few managers have signally failed to do: get a team to play to its strengths
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might be right in that we need a buffer between the manager and the Board. I'm not sure Miller is the man for the job though and, considering the way the club is set up, it would make Lindsay effectively redundant so is never going to happen.

Too many senior folk at the club have a vested interested in maintaining the status quo.
    FFS, when did we start sponsering Rock Bands?
    Nae wonder there's nae money for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post

Indeed.

As others are highlighting here there something isn't working within the current structure from boardroom down to the changing room. Managers have left and alluded to their position being a weakened one without the real power and remit to do what they felt was necessary.

Our 'Manager' is really just our First Team Coach.

That being the case - and i'm not so sure it can't be a structure that can actually work - i feel it's more a question of the personnel not being suitable as they are not best qualified.

I'm convinced that certain board members are excercising much more input on things than we are aware of. Not at all saying that they are picking the team but there is most certainly evidence to suggest that there is input in recruitment.

As i've said if this is the structure we are going to have i would much prefer to have someone who actually has the knowledge and experience to carry out the role.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Indeed.

As others are highlighting here there something isn't working within the current structure from boardroom down to the changing room. Managers have left and alluded to their position being a weakened one without the real power and remit to do what they felt was necessary.

That being the case - and i'm not so sure it can't be a structure that can actually work - i feel it's more a question of the personnel not being suitable as they are not best qualified.

I'm convinced that certain board members are excercising much more input on things than we are aware of. Not at all saying that they are picking the team but there is most certainly evidence to suggest that there is input in recruitment.

As i've said if this is the structure we are going to have i would much prefer to have someone who actually has the knowledge and experience to carry out the role.
    Could do with a beans spiller right now (not Gramo BTW) just so we could get some idea WTF is really "going on behind the Green Door" (for Frankie Vaughan fans)

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Always appreciate the job that Miller did for us and his signing record was indeed excellent. Would have been interesting to see what he could've done with the Sky money if he was still managing us when the SPL started.

He managed to attract Craig Hignett to Aberdeen, who was an excellent signing, and it was really unfortunate for Miller that he didn't settle up there. In saying that, giving Dundee Utd cash plus Bily Dodds for Robbie Winters was the worst bif of transfer business he ever did.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some major revisionism going on here. Miller created 1 decent exciting team in ten years culminating in the 91 league cup win. For years prior to that team we reflected his boring, dour, pragmatic, 0-0 snorefest style.

Following this logic Mixu, Yogi et al should have been given 10 years to build a team as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Some major revisionism going on here. Miller created 1 decent exciting team in ten years culminating in the 91 league cup win. For years prior to that team we reflected his boring, dour, pragmatic, 0-0 snorefest style.

Following this logic Mixu, Yogi et al should have been given 10 years to build a team as well.
    That's right. Managers don't get the time now. Miller would have been sacked today long before he won the Skol Cup. Sir Alex Fergie is also a case in point.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    That's right. Managers don't get the time now. Miller would have been sacked today long before he won the Skol Cup. Sir Alex Fergie is also a case in point.
    We really were a dreadful team for the first six years under Miller heretoday you must remember that(if you are old enough)

i'm all for given people time to build a team but Miller's reign must be looked at over the whole 10 years not just the two years we got a good team.

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    True, some of Lex's football was hard to take but he had heehaw resources and did what he had to to keep us midtable.
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    For those of us that can remember Bertie Äuld's time in charge, AM's football was expansive in comparison. He was brought like a steady the ship appointment, but steady as she goes was all we got, save for a few real gems ( Videoton away being my favourite Hibs game ever).

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    How was millers derby record?

Thread closed

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post

Thread closed
    The same as Scott Crabbe's.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar

Thread closed
    It was pish however is that what it's all about??

Miller left, the same season we were almost relegated, the season after we were.
    People are too quick to forget that fact.

Alex Miller's signings WERE generally good. But bear in mind he spent over £4M on fairly expensive signings like signing Goram, Houchen, Archibald, Hamilton, McAllister, O'Neill, McGinley (back from Celtic), Paul Wright, Keith Wright, Jackson, Cameron, Welsh, McGraw and MacLeod. A few of these players were costly flops.

Bearing in mind his lesser signings probably cost another million, that would probably be like a manager getting £10 to £12M in today's SPL, which would be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    It was pish however is that what it's all about??

Miller left, the same season we were almost relegated, the season after we were.
    People are too quick to forget that fact.

The main reason we got relegated was because Duffy was an awful manager. The fact that he was awful doesn't make Alex Miller good. It just means the guys in charge of Hibs at the time weren't much better at appointing managers than they are now.

Thread closed
    Nobody is suggesting his return where he would be taking us into any derby though.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Nobody is suggesting his return where he would be taking us into any derby though.
    He was hounded and hated out of hibs when he was here, somehow ended up at Liverpool and has failed in japan? And Sweden since why should he even be considered for any sort of a role at hibs now?

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Indeed.

And the evidence is ???

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post

And the evidence is ???
    People saying it often enough on here.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    People saying it often enough on here.
    Denial doesn't make it untrue though. Only those involved know the facts. The rest of us are ill-informed either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    We really were a dreadful team for the first six years under Miller heretoday you must remember that(if you are old enough)

i'm all for given people time to build a team but Miller's reign must be looked at over the whole 10 years not just the two years we got a good team.

I know, I know. I'm just stating a fact. He would have been sacked. And yes his reign was a total bore.

And yes, I do remember it - for I am old.

Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post
    Denial doesn't make it untrue though. Only those involved know the facts. The rest of us are ill-informed either way.
    I think you mean uninformed.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I think you mean uninformed.
    Aye, that as well

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post

And the evidence is ???
    John Rankin.

I have no desire to see Lexo make a return to ER.

As with all the hibees who had to endure those years of boring fitbaw, he has nothing to get me excited about (his Skol Cup win very nearly excused the preceding years of dross, but not quite).

But I do recall at the time of his appointment, that there was a bit of a grumbling from the faithful just cos he wasn't an ex player of ours, think he was the first non player to manage us in X amount of years.

How times change, when now we appear happy to offer it to any ex player who seems keen.

Would be great to have the same manager for just a few years for a change - as for who - sorry, no idea.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbelly View Post
    I have no desire to see Lexo make a return to ER.

As with all the hibees who had to endure those years of boring fitbaw, he has nothing to get me excited about (his Skol Cup win very nearly excused the preceding years of dross, but not quite).

But I do recall at the time of his appointment, that there was a bit of a grumbling from the faithful just cos he wasn't an ex player of ours, think he was the first non player to manage us in X amount of years.

How times change, when now we appear happy to offer it to any ex player who seems keen.

Would be great to have the same manager for just a few years for a change - as for who - sorry, no idea.
    The Skol cup win is my best day ever as a Hibs fan. So yes he is excused. FFS JC is lauded for winning the same cup with Mogga's team. So Miller deserves credit and some abuse. But he is one 3 cup winning managers in the last 40 years so he is due some respect. Yes I would have him back.

@hibs.net private member
    Did we not get to the final a few seasons later and get beat of the Huns at Darkheid. Can't remember if Miller was our manager that day or not?

If he was then 2 finals in his reign as manager. However I too am old enough and can remember watching some real bad football. But correct me if i'm wrong have we not been watching some drose for a while now, with the odd 1 or 2 game exception.

GGTTH.

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Did we not get to the final a few seasons later and get beat of the Huns at Darkheid. Can't remember if Miller was our manager that day or not?

If he was then 2 finals in his reign as manager. However I too am old enough and can remember watching some real bad football. But correct me if i'm wrong have we not been watching some drose for a while now, with the odd 1 or 2 game exception.

GGTTH.
    He was. McCoist scored that flukey overhead kick to win it.