hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Hughes

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

John Hughes

Anybody listen to him on radio Scotland.......

He wouldn't have signed O'Connor or Sproule and given more backing from the board he would have challenged the OF apparently

Just read it on twitter.
    Last edited by Spike Mandela; 25-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He wouldn't have signed O'Connorn or Sproule and given more backing from the board he would have challenged the OF apparently

Just read it on twitter.
    Hughes signed De Graaf (headline signing) and Hart.......case closed.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also Chris Porter is aware of interest from Hibs but is keeping his options open according to Chris MacGlauchlin senior BBC reporter.

...."..I just heard his ramble in the last 10 minutes of the programme and he was singing the praises of Stokes and he said he was a success at Hibs.

Given what I watched for the majority of last season ....... No ,I'm beginning to ramble too.
    Last edited by Prawn Sandwich; 25-06-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The only way Yogi would challenge the OF is intellectually.

He wouldn't have signed O'Connor or Sproule and given more backing from the board he would have challenged the OF apparently

Just read it on twitter.
    That's one of these meaningless cliches in Scottish football that failed managers of Hibs and Hearts trot out from time to time. I daresay that if STF cashed in his estimated £300m fortune and said 'there you go Bob, spend the lot on players and wages' i'd have a side capable of challenging the OF.

We love you yogi but keep shtoom

First Team Regular
    He (Hughes) never had a clue-now just wants to put a dig in every time he can

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Funny how his view of what he could have done for the club, is fabulous in hindsight. The now-sight that had to be used when he was in charge tells an affy different story. Challenge the OF? The same boy that looked on clueless while we were howked twice on a tattie field in Perth? Nah. Maybe no.

Just read it on twitter.
    Neither would Calderwood, I suspect. Brought in bid to shift season tickets.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    That's one of these meaningless cliches in Scottish football that failed managers of Hibs and Hearts trot out from time to time. I daresay that if STF cashed in his estimated £300m fortune and said 'there you go Bob, spend the lot on players and wages' i'd have a side capable of challenging the OF.
    Although as late as mid February we were challenging for second place having won at Parkhead.

Perhaps he was suggesting that if he'd been given some more leeway in January we could have continued a challenge?

Left by mutual consent!
    Least he was committed to the cause..

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Reaper

Just read it on twitter.
    But surely he knew he wouldn't be to that extent, that was part of the reason JC left, why Mowbray looked to pastures new, Why Judas errrr....became a Judas, why players turn Hibs down for ****ty teams who pay bigger wages?

I'm sorry the mans a buffoon and I've lost any respect I had left for him. He can sit there and say (in hindsight) all he wants BUT he knew the terms and conditions when he signed his contract (as he admitted) and I've no doubt he wud've known his likely budget. If he was so ****in competent why......

1. Is he still out of a Job?
    2. Could he not pull us out a slump (as a good leader should be able to) when we were in it?

Apart from the above, words fail me!

First Team Breakthrough Cracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    The way he cracked on at times he should have been committed

Coaching Staff
    And had seven months of results to point to at some stage. That some can be convinced that CC is any better after 6 bad months and 1 good one still puzzles me.

If Hughes had really been tactically clueless and had bullied the poor players a new manager should have been able to sort that instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Although as late as mid February we were challenging for second place having won at Parkhead.
    We were 4th in the SPL, seven points adrift of Celtic in 2nd after 27 matches played. 'Challenging' is probably stretching things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Perhaps he was suggesting that if he'd been given some more leeway in January we could have continued a challenge?
    Yogi was given resources in the January transfer window of 2010 and spent them on, not one, but two keepers. Plus Alan Gow who was an expensive flop.

And note that no player actually left the club during the January window of 2010. So he was allowed to increase the size of the squad by three players. Contrast CC's January window this year when he brought in 7 players with 5 players leaving.

So just how much extra resource is Yogi now claiming he needed at that point in the 2009/10 season?

I see his comments from earlier on this afternoon regarding what he would do differently are now featured on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13917136.stm

I don't think he realises that he would have had little choice in whether or not to accept O'Connor and Sproule back into the fold.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    "It's easy to talk the talk but you need to prove it" - John Hughes 25 June 2011.

Yes, John, and that's why you were given your P45. Your soundbites became increasingly tiresome and weary and you did little to back up your proclamations.

Hibs man through and through and I'm gutted it didn't work out for him, but he can't go taking the moral high ground and feel he's particularly qualified to condemn the job a manager of Hibernian is doing given that he made a complete James Blunt of it.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Is this you throwing your hat in the ring, Bob?

If we're being upfront about it, I'm willing to turn things around for only £250 million!

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Funny how his view of what he could have done for the club, is fabulous in hindsight. The now-sight that had to be used when he was in charge tells an affy different story. Challenge the OF? The same boy that looked on clueless while we were howked twice on a tattie field in Perth? Nah. Maybe no.
    that's what also came to mind when i was listening to him and also his comment last january that calderwood should go with experience (kevin mcbride, etc) if we were to get out of relegation battle with hamilton and st mirren

Does anybody really care what John Hughes thinks about Hibs? He is a big thicky who fluked the job because Petrie knew he would be a popular appointment with a certain section of the support.

hughes actually said that at his interview (or in any interview) you have to appear enthusiastic about things despite the fact that you don't necessarily agree with them, in order to get the job. you kent the crack john so dinnae moan about it now

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Interviewed folk ken with's gaun oan.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

He's turning into a Hibs' Gary Mackay.
    Please someone give him something useful to do with his time.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    He's turning into a Hibs' Gary Mackay.
    Please someone give him something useful to do with his time.
    A pair of underpants and a couple of pencils to stick up his nose.

That's no a dig at him by the way, I'm doing the exact same just now and I'm still not bored, despite starting at 2pm.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by sesoim View Post
    Does anybody really care what John Hughes thinks about Hibs? He is a big thicky who fluked the job because Petrie knew he would be a popular appointment with a certain section of the support.
    out of order mate to be honest. which element of the support was it who were happy with the appointment?

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    The only way Yogi would challenge the OF is intellectually.
    Brilliant

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Yeah Hughes, you could talk the talk but you couldn't walk the walk. All talk and no action. Yes we know it is a gamble on Ivan and Gazza but the thing these guys have is PASSION and we know that they will give their all for the team. That is something your players never seemed to have. The only two signings I thought were good were Miller(occasionally) and Stokes. The rest were mediocre/*****. Lets look at some of your signnigs made and some of the signings made after your sacking or players that hardly got a chance under your reign that were

Hart or Towell
    Grounds or Booth
    De Graff or Sproule
    Rankin or Palsson
    Gow or Galbraith
    Trakys or Sodje
    Duffy or O'Connor

I'm sure that most people would prefer most of the names on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    "It's easy to talk the talk but you need to prove it" - John Hughes 25 June 2011.

Yes, John, and that's why you were given your P45. Your soundbites became increasingly tiresome and weary and you did little to back up your proclamations.

Hibs man through and through and I'm gutted it didn't work out for him, but he can't go taking the moral high ground and feel he's particularly qualified to condemn the job a manager of Hibernian is doing given that he made a complete James Blunt of it.
    Yup - spot on! It wents tats up .. although if ye listen to Yogi ye'd never know!

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Yeah Hughes, you could talk the talk but you couldn't walk the walk. All talk and no action. Yes we know it is a gamble on Ivan and Gazza but the thing these guys have is PASSION and we know that they will give their all for the team. That is something your players never seemed to have. The only two signings I thought were good were Miller(occasionally) and Stokes. The rest were mediocre/*****. Lets look at some of your signnigs made and some of the signings made after your sacking or players that hardly got a chance under your reign that were

Hart or Towell
    Grounds or Booth
    De Graff or Sproule
    Rankin or Palsson
    Gow or Galbraith
    Trakys or Sodje
    Duffy or O'Connor

I'm sure that most people would prefer most of the names on the right.
    Great post IMHO

well if he was then it didnt rub off on his players! I remember thinking as yogi was such a hibs man he'd have the players fired right up for the likes of derby matches but sadly that was not the case, some of our performances against that lot under yogi were the worst ive seen! And that wasnt down to ability, the lack of effort in these games was unreal.