hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 year loan deal?

Is that what we effectively have with O'Connor so that he can prove his fitness to Celtic??

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that what we effectively have with O'Connor so that he can prove his fitness to Celtic??

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

What a negative negative twist to put on a bit good news, someone ***** on your cornflakes this morning?

What we should do is sign ***** players that'll never be good enough for bigger clubs

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    so around 8 hours of positivity on .net and normal service has been resumed!

To be 'on loan' to us, he has to be under contract with another club first?

First Team Breakthrough
    If Garry signing on for a year gets us up the table, possibly Europe & a good cup run - I'd take it! Doubt however that it's got anything to do with Celtic!

**** me - you are bitter.

I know it probably comes across as negative! But it was looking he was going to sign for celtic. Basically what i'm saying is, are we just going to be used for him to prove himself to celtic?? A one year deal suggests that! 18 months might have been better! Happy he's signed tho! Just need a few more, 4 I would say!

Coaching Staff
    Dont want to lay in too much to the OP but seriously, just see it in front of you. O'Connor for a year. If he does well for us, then that's all we should ask. Getting upset now about i) length of contract ii) where he might go afterwards is, it's fair to say, ludicrous. If he wants to prove himself on our team, that's great. Too many last year were not interested in proving themselves.

Is there an award for being most negative hibs.net contributer...

Who excactly is he on loan from

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I can actually see the OP's point but if it was a 1 year deal or nothing at all we were right to take that. I'm delighted in fact. Who knows there could be a future clause in his contract too.

Yes.

***** signing. We can't win with this one.

WTF do some people want?????? We have been crying out for a forward. Last week people were greetin cause we missed out on Tade!!!!

We have just signed Garry o'connor. A good hibby. A player who left us with bags of talent and went off and got experience in Europe and the EPL. A player who has had 2 moves for a cobined £4m. We have signed a superb striker. An unfit Go'C will score 15 goals next season a fit one might double it.

Just enjoy!

I know it probably comes across as negative! But it was looking he was going to sign for celtic. Basically what i'm saying is, are we just going to be used for him to prove himself to celtic?? A one year deal suggests that! 18 months might have been better! Happy he's signed tho! Just need a few more, 4 I would say!
    I've decided to expect that he may well be away again next summer.

The reality is that an on-form O'Connor is a player that Hibs can't typically afford and if he has a great season he could well be going back down to a Championship side for season 2012/13.

That would still be an arrangement that suits all parties.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by sixtwo View Post
    Yes.

***** signing. We can't win with this one.

WTF do some people want?????? We have been crying out for a forward. Last week people were greetin cause we missed out on Tade!!!!

We have just signed Garry o'connor. A good hibby. A player who left us with bags of talent and went off and got experience in Europe and the EPL. A player who has had 2 moves for a cobined £4m. We have signed a superb striker. An unfit Go'C will score 15 goals next season a fit one might double it.

Just enjoy!

Totally agree.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    As much as I'm delighted that he's signed, Garry probably only deserves a 1yr contract. Any more than that may be seen as a gamble. And yes if he does well, he may move on, but he'll have had to score goals for that.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    I can actually see the OP's point but if it was a 1 year deal or nothing at all we were right to take that. I'm delighted in fact. Who knows there could be a future clause in his contract too.
    Seriously, who is he on loan from?

I thought he had been released from birmingham/Barnsley.

J

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs may have a clause that they can extend if they wish to.

Not sure in a year how I will feel but happy he has signed at present. Though I would add that Hibs may have felt it would be stupid to offer anything more with his antics of the field.

Lets just wait and see how it pans out before the doom and gloom.

GGTTH

Who'd to say the 1-year part wasn't Hibs' choice?

Oops, forgot the golden rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Samba wouldnt win it if there was....I can think of plenty others on here who would win it hands down though..

@hibs.net private member Manxhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: purehibee
    I'm just chuffed to bits he has signed, he should be in the prime of his career, so hopefully we will get the best of him, even it's only for a year

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Samba wouldnt win it if there was....I can think of plenty others on here who would win it hands down though..
    Name names!

Actually, you don't need to. Conspicuous by absence. Did something similar not happen when we won all those games in January?

I don't want to needle anyone but I got crap shoved in my face so now it's time to eat crow!

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    Name names!

Actually, you don't need to. Conspicuous by absence. Did something similar not happen when we won all those games in January?

I don't want to needle anyone but I got crap shoved in my face so now it's time to eat crow!

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Seriously, who is he on loan from?

I thought he had been released from birmingham/Barnsley.

J
    He's not on loan I think the point being made is Garry will spend a year here and if he does well will leave at the end of the season to Celtc or whoever and have used us to get fit and back in the game at our expense. Unfortunately though that's life at the moment and we're not going to get good players to sign long deals as we are ultimately a stepping stone.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Garry isn't that type of guy who would do this to the club he loves. He isn't Stokes, who sticked the fingers right up us when smeltic came calling considering what we did for the guy who was forgotten. Yes Gazza will get offers from different clubs if he does the business for the Hibs but he won't leave straight away when the first offer comes. He will grateful to the club he supported since he was a boy and will make sure that when he does leave, it will be on the same good terms the last time he went.
    The OP might have been uber negative but this is also ridiculous in the extreme. The year deal serves both parties well. Hibs are taking a bit of a gamble on someone who's career has been on the downward trend for 24 months but he has ability so its whether or not he can get fit and show that. Garry gets a year's salary in the hope that he can recapture form and then get a bigger buck for his bang. Lets not kid ourselves that he has returned "home" for good. We are both using this opportunity and next year will be a totally different proposition when it comes to GOC

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post

I can see where the OP is coming from with his point but I think it's a case of 2+2=5, O'Connor was training with Celtic, he has signed a short term deal so in 6 months time he is ok to look elsewhere however given the recent press and his injury history recently i think it's a deal that suits both parties, it'd be good if we did have a extension clause as part of the deal and he certainly sounds like he might want to stay longer than 12 months and be part of what Calderwood is building. I don't think the OP was trying to cause trouble. It might be the OP was wondering if anyone else had same worries as they did, possibly just bad timing to ask the question when everyone else is on a high

Left by mutual consent!
    Can't wait to see GOC and Stokes play up front together...

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Maybe a one year deal for our sake so we aint tied to a player on big wages who might not be fit half the time or keep having trouble off the field.

One year deal suits all IMO, I would have liked a lnger deal but 1 year is sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    As much as I'm delighted that he's signed, Garry probably only deserves a 1yr contract. Any more than that may be seen as a gamble. And yes if he does well, he may move on, but he'll have had to score goals for that.
    Win:Win then!

Left by mutual consent!
    Awwwww diddums.