hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The sun reports

The sun reports

That Hibs and Crawley Town have tabled bids for Adam Rooney with Birmingham monitoring the situation..

ICT have offered record terms

Dark days if he chooses Crawley Town?
    Or resigned to that fact to land wanted players we may in the future need to restructure our wage cap?
    Or we need to start winning games this season to make us more attractive?
    Or all of the above?

I hope he signs for us, im hopeful also for a bit of transfer activity over the wknd from Hibs..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by goofter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That Hibs and Crawley Town have tabled bids for Adam Rooney with Birmingham monitoring the situation..

Or resigned to that fact to land wanted players we may in the future need to restructure our wage cap?
    Or all of the above?

I hope he signs for us, im hopeful also for a bit of transfer activity over the wknd from Hibs..
    Crawley Town have got a big backer at the moment and throwing money about......if its money hes after there is only 1 place he is going and thats CT. Sad but true that an English 4 tier team can pay more than us. Fingers Crossed he signs for us.

Think we all need a wee boost after the silence of last few weeks.

Sorry didnt see the Brum bit..but dont know if he would get a game there TBH

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96

Or all of the above?

If these are all the clubs interested then I'm hopeful, as long as Birmingham stay out the equation.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Or all of the above?

Crawley have got a fair bit of money behind them to be fair. They Paid cash for Willie Gibson in January from the Pars and apparently gave him a very good wage.

I know a guy who plays for Dunfermline and he told ne when willie Gibson left them for Crawley he was offered 5k a week. Just shows the difference in money between Scotland and England

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydirk View Post
    I know a guy who plays for Dunfermline and he told ne when willie Gibson left them for Crawley he was offered 5k a week. Just shows the difference in money between Scotland and England
    It shows the kind of money Crawley are throwing around. Other teams around them can't afford that kind of cash. CT aren't indicative of the wages at that level of English football.

[QUOTE=steakbake;2824945]It shows the kind of money Crawley are throwing around. Other teams around them can't afford that kind of cash. CT aren't indicative of the wages at that level of English football.[/QUOTE]

Well said, Man City's wages are indicative of the wages Man City pay, not the Premiership in general.
    Last edited by Ray_; 10-06-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Crawley Town are an example of how not to run a football club.

If he goes there its another example of football gone mad. They are heading the same way as Halifax did in the next few years.

Hibs initial offer was less than what ICT were offering him.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Read that on KB as well

Testimonial Due
    Crawley Town apparently have a load of dodgy money which they have been throwing about for sometime, I think they also got a reasonable FA cup draw last year which no doubt gave them quite a few quid.

Last I heard they were comfortably offering boys 3/4k per week. On that basis I think we will struggle to compete and it is likely anyone going down there will be doing so with the view they are likely going to achieve back to back promotions to get them to a reasonable level.

If that is the case then Hibs need to seriously rethink the wage structure, otherwise it will be bottom six for a while to come and even possible relegation, god help us.

Ouch, not what you want to hear.

There is no wage cap at ER, but there is a budget. If we pay £5K a week we have to sell 250 more tickets for every home game to make the extra wage worthwhile

Will Adam add that number to the gate?

Sent by S Lindsay from my Blackberry Mobile

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs7 View Post
    If that is the case then Hibs need to seriously rethink the wage structure, otherwise it will be bottom six for a while to come and even possible relegation, god help us.
    yeah we should break our wage structure with our first offer, sounds sensible

[QUOTE=325EasterRoad;2824961]There is no wage cap at ER, but there is a budget. If we pay £5K a week we have to sell 250 more tickets for every home game to make the extra wage worthwhile

I don't know if he will, we need more than just Rooney , but as things stand the people who have renewed for next season could have a row each. We need the club to take action to get significant activity around ticket sales. The number of fans at games towards the end of last season was embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    yeah we should break our wage structure with our first offer, sounds sensible
    Behave, but by all accounts we are not paying enough to attract decent players and develop into a team challenging for at least 3rd each season.

Coaching Staff
    If ICT want to break their pay scales and offer him a record deal, fair play and let him consider it. IT only means it's at the expense of other player(s) and another area of the pitch.

IMHO I really don't see what the clamour is for Rooney. Good player with good attributes, and yes if he signed I would consider it a decent signing. But in all honesty there are similar if not better players down south who could offer Hibs much more. We need real pace up top this coming season and someone who can get in behind and poach goals. I want that kind of player first before we look to the likes of a Rooney or Sutton.

Certainly not a player I want the club to break the bank over I'm afraid. If he goes elsewhere good luck to him but not going to lose any sleep over it whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by 325EasterRoad View Post
    There is no wage cap at ER, but there is a budget. If we pay £5K a week we have to sell 250 more tickets for every home game to make the extra wage worthwhile

Actually, it's rather more than that. £5k pw=£260k pa. We have 19 home games so we need to bring in £13,684 per game. At about £20 per ticket (net of VAT) that's 684 extra tickets to be sold.

Sent by the only accountant in the uk without a Blackberry

First Team Breakthrough Ernie Cobra's Avatar

We dont actually have to, we have reduced squad numbers and rumoured higher earners, Miller Stokes Riordan Bamba. Reduce the squad, pay higher wages, increase the quality in the team and take over the world..........seems easy enough to me.......

We dont actually have to, we have reduced squad numbers and rumoured higher earners, Miller Stokes Riordan Bamba. Reduce the squad, pay higher wages, increase the quality in the team and take over the world..........seems easy enough to me....... Oh and a wee scottish cup win

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Actually, it's rather more than that. £5k pw=£260k pa. We have 19 home games so we need to bring in £13,684 per game. At about £20 per ticket (net of VAT) that's 684 extra tickets to be sold.

F'n accountants!!!!!!!!!

Good point though.

Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxHibs View Post
    Crawley Town are an example of how not to run a football club.

If he goes there its another example of football gone mad. They are heading the same way as Halifax did in the next few years.
    Craig Brewster just taken job as Coach at Crawley, maybe Rooney will want to work with him?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Caley paid crazy wages to Niculae (sp?) IIRC at least double what anyone else in the squad was on and this was bankrolled by one of the directors on the board I think, so perhaps they are trying a similar arrangement here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    F'n accountants!!!!!!!!!

Good point though.
    Trouble is, accountants know nothing about football.

As a 'name' player, probably not. As someone who will be a more than capable striker that gives us poor sods the chance to actually see Hibs win a few games, then yes.

Hibs need a side that will give people hope. A good start to the season and proof that CC knows what he is doing will easily entice some of the lost numbers back.

@hibs.net private member

That's nonsense - Rooney, if signed, would not be an "extra" but part of a squad of players who's total wage budget is reckoned to be about £3.5M a year (that's allowing 500K off of 4M for non playing staff).

With a squad of 25 that would mean an average wage of £140K a year. So any "extra" funds to be sourced could only be argued to be 260-140=120K. By your reckoning above that would mean about 316 "extra" bodies per game to pay for the "extravagence" of having someone who can stick the ball in the net on a regular basis.

In any case, this argument is riddled with weaknesses - Hibs have a total wage budget based on projected revenue - it would only be if the total cost of the whole squad exceeded this budget that any "extra" revenue would need to be raised. The relative salaries of individual players within this budget is immaterial.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Trouble is, accountants know nothing about football.
    As you have proven for many years.

Left by mutual consent!

Only if we are at full wage capacity do we need to sell more tickets, with the likes of Riordan, Miller, Rankin, Duffy etc etc etc all of the wage bill then I would surely think we could bring in players.

I wouldn't look at it that way. A striker of Rooney's calibre would at least give us a chance of getting a better position in the league and perhaps, dare I mention it, good run in both the cups.

It's not all about selling more season tickets. Decent league position and cup runs would take care of his wages.

Who in their right mind would want to be in Crawley when you have Edinburgh with it's monuments, castle and trams. No way.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    That's nonsense - Rooney, if signed, would not be an "extra" but part of a squad of players who's total wage budget is reckoned to be about £3.5M a year (that's allowing 500K off of 4M for non playing staff).

With a squad of 25 that would mean an average wage of £140K a year. So any "extra" funds to be sourced could only be argued to be 260-140=120K. By your reckoning above that would mean about 316 "extra" bodies per game to pay for the "extravagence" of having someone who can stick the ball in the net on a regular basis.

In any case, this argument is riddled with weaknesses - Hibs have a total wage budget based on projected revenue - it would only be if the total cost of the whole squad exceeded this budget that any "extra" revenue would need to be raised. The relative salaries of individual players within this budget is immaterial.
    Indeed we could in theory pay 2 players £20k p/w and have rest of squad on whats left of budget. Of course I am not suggesting we do that but we certainly may have the potential if the squad size is right to bring in some players on a higher wage.