hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

Italy 0 Republic of Ireland 2

Some result.

Trapattoni is certainly doing well with them.

Streets ahead of Scotland in terms of players, results and Manager sadly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some result.

Trapattoni is certainly doing well with them.

Streets ahead of Scotland in terms of players, results and Manager sadly.
    But they could only get a lucky 1-0 win against us at home when we were the better team

Thier kit was quite smart too.

Anyone know why it was played in Belgium?

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxHibs View Post
    Aye, would make a decent Hibs away top

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Anyone know why it was played in Belgium?
    Belgium has a large amount of Italian immigrants approx 250,000 apparently.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxHibs View Post
    Very

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Aye, would make a decent Hibs away top
    Was thinking the same !

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    But they could only get a lucky 1-0 win against us at home when we were the better team
    If Kenny Miller sould score every now and again we'd have got at least a draw.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Totally agree. Don't think Ireland are any better than us - the only point I would agree on is that Trappatoni is a better manager than Levein although he does have about 30 years of extra experience of managing at the top level.

We have closed the gap on Ireland in recent years and were unlucky to lose to them on their own patch. Their current crop is due to lose the likes of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane over the next two major tournaments due to age, whereas we'll only likely lose Kenny Miller from our strongest XI in that time.

C'mon, let's not be so negative about what is surely our best Scotland team since France '98.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by famous_five_hfc View Post
    Totally agree. Don't think Ireland are any better than us - the only point I would agree on is that Trappatoni is a better manager than Levein although he does have about 30 years of extra experience of managing at the top level.

We have closed the gap on Ireland in recent years and were unlucky to lose to them on their own patch. Their current crop is due to lose the likes of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane over the next two major tournaments due to age, whereas we'll only likely lose Kenny Miller from our strongest XI in that time.

C'mon, let's not be so negative about what is surely our best Scotland team since France '98.

I would agree with that. Its difficult to understate how important it is we qualify for 2012. Inspire a new generation of lads coming through and restore a bit of belief.

We have been under performing for years. The number of young Scots players playing outside of Scotland and the number of those excelling at their clubs in Scotland is definite hope for the future.

A good manager would be handy though... I once thought Potter might be alright but he lost his credibility for me in the Czech Rep match. We could have taken them if we'd shown a bit of adventure.
    Last edited by steakbake; 07-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    You guys can blame me if you want. Scotland have NEVER qualified for a World Cup Finals since I left the country - I moved here in '98 and that was the last time (and, boy, do I have some crappy memories of that tournament!).

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    You guys can blame me if you want. Scotland have NEVER qualified for a World Cup Finals since I left the country - I moved here in '98 and that was the last time (and, boy, do I have some crappy memories of that tournament!).
    The Norway game. Dreadful. The Morocco game was even worse.

My biggest kick in the guts was England 96. That hurt more for me. Goal difference meant we lost out progressing from the group stages. Sickener.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Republic of Ireland are better than Scotland. FACT

First Team Breakthrough
    I was in Dublin for the Carling Cup game the other week (and I very nearly stayed awake too) and, to be honest, was deeply unimpressed with Ireland. Interestingly, the Irish fans I spoke to appeared fairly unimpressed with Trapattoni - all sorts of stories in local media about him never being there, never watching players etc etc.

So although a firm detester of Levein (apart from anything else, it's entirely the fault of his overly-negative tactics against Lithuania and the Czech Republic that we're unlikely to qualify), I wouldn't get too caught up thinking Scotland are particularly worse than teams like Ireland.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Quote Originally Posted by famous_five_hfc View Post

Disagree, the team that was a bawhair away from knocking out one of the 2006 World Cup Finalists had a lot more guile and belief IMO. This was probably largely down to the manager(s?), who are of course part of the team.

@hibs.net private member
    The republic don't have a great footballing pedigree but have managed to get a level of success out of workman-like sides while we got little reward from the quality players we once had.
    As for the present situation, I'd much rather have someone of the calibre of Trapattoni at the helm than what we're stuck with.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post

My biggest kick in the guts was England 96. That hurt more for me. Goal difference meant we lost out progressing from the group stages. Sickener.
    I remember leaving work early to grab some beers and enjoy watching us hump the Moroccans. Ugh. 0-3 I think the end result was. Jim Leighton getting beat at his near post. I could check these facts but that would mean opening up old wounds so I will stick to my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    I was in Dublin for the Carling Cup game the other week (and I very nearly stayed awake too) and, to be honest, was deeply unimpressed with Ireland. Interestingly, the Irish fans I spoke to appeared fairly unimpressed with Trapattoni - all sorts of stories in local media about him never being there, never watching players etc etc.

So although a firm detester of Levein (apart from anything else, it's entirely the fault of his overly-negative tactics against Lithuania and the Czech Republic that we're unlikely to qualify), I wouldn't get too caught up thinking Scotland are particularly worse than teams like Ireland.
    its all too easy for scotland to slip up badly against a minnow, best not forgetting that before we start thinking we're better than this nation or that. It is Scotland after all! Good result Eire though

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Republic of Ireland are better than Scotland. FACT
    What facts are you basing your fact on? FIFA rankings? If that's the case there are dozen's of teams better than Scotland, and on the same theory there are 9 teams better than us

Two wins against France, almost the beating of Italy at home beating Holland at Hampden,(try to forget the wednesday humping) lets try to look at the positives.
    Ireland are not much better than us, we should have beat them in Dublin but alas never.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    I remember leaving work early to grab some beers and enjoy watching us hump the Moroccans. Ugh. 0-3 I think the end result was. Jim Leighton getting beat at his near post. I could check these facts but that would mean opening up old wounds so I will stick to my memory.
    It was 3-0. No idea of the scorers. I think it was probably an indication of the decline of Scottish international football.

However, on the positive side, I really think we are on the up. There are some great young players coming through. And some of them are even Hibs players - Potter won't like that!

What facts are you basing your fact on? FIFA rankings? If that's the case there are dozen's of teams better than Scotland, and on the same theory there are 9 teams better than us
    ireland have smaller population than scotland. Qualified for more recent world cups. Might be a good starting point?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    ireland have smaller population than scotland. Qualified for more recent world cups. Might be a good starting point?
    That is history at the moment personally dont think there is anything between the teams. Dont think Ireland are as strong as they were and Scotland are getting better IMO with a good number of decent young players coming through though a couple of our most promising home grown players seem to have an identity defect and think they are Irish which probaby doesnt help.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    Why the plural? Ireland have only qualified for the 2002 World Cup in that period, and only twice before that (1990 and 1994). They have only qualified for one European Championship (1988).

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post

is that when England let a goal in on purpose

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    is that when England let a goal in on purpose
    In all fairness, had McAllister scored the penalty...